October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @LaDispute57 total respect man! That was a killer course, nothing I could even imagine. You triumphed in all that adversity. The only thing you didn't do was cross that line. But you still are a winner for going through all that!

Also, they did not have to send a search and rescue out after you, so there is that. Though you might have gotten a flight on one of those fancy helicopters if they did. Something to consider next time?

Ive been looking at a half marathon out by Jackson Hole, where apparently if you get lost in the wilderness, you might get rescued by Harrison Ford. Might make having to eat your own shoes worth it...

You know he is not as young as he used to be... might not be as good at the rescue as you would like.

I don't think any of us are.
    😄
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @megamooseesq do keep me informed if you come visit the square states. I MIGHT even break my “I swear to god I’m never going to Jackson hole” edict... but if nothing else you may come past me on your way.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm sorry to hear about the tear - hope your meeting with the surgeon goes well tomorrow and it won't be too long of a recovery process.

@LaDispute57 what a grueling and amazing effort. Sorry you weren't able to finish but you put in an absolutely impressive effort on a killer course.

@MegaMooseEsq great job on your half. Glad you had a good experience. Even if you finished a minute slower - you felt more comfortable and had a good time so it sounds like a win to me.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    10/02/18 :::: 4.2 :::: 9.2
    10/03/18 :::: 7.1 :::: 16.3
    10/04/18 :::: 3.7 :::: 20.0
    10/05/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.0
    10/06/18 :::: 20.0 :::: 40.0
    10/07/18 :::: 5.0 :::: 45.0
    10/08/18 :::: 4.5 :::: 49.6
    10/09/18 :::: 5.1 :::: 54.7
    10/10/18 :::: 5.9 :::: 60.6
    10/11/18 :::: 4.0 :::: 64.6
    10/12/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 64.6
    10/13/18 :::: 15.0 :::: 79.6
    10/14/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 82.4
    10/15/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 85.4
    10/16/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 88.4
    10/17/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 91.5
    10/18/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 91.5
    10/19/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 94.7
    10/20/18 :::: 7.6 :::: 102.3
    10/21/18 :::: 4.0 :::: 106.3
    10/22/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 109.3
    10/23/18 :::: 3.7 :::: 113.0

Tonight's run was a sharpener before my race this weekend. I went to the Tuesday night group instead of my usual Wednesday because coach likes us to do the sharpener on Tuesday and take Wednesday off. We did a 15 minute warm-up run, which I could tell I was pushing the pace more than I normally do but I felt great. The taper has my legs feeling so much fresher, as intended. Normally the sharpener he has us do is one single 3-minute hard interval. This week's workout though was an inverted ladder starting with a 4-minute interval though so he suggested I just do that one interval with the group and then do my cool-down. So I did the 4 minutes. What had been some light mist turned into a cold rain at that point, but I still felt pretty good. During the 15-minute cool down I was less pleased about the weather but kept in mind that the weekend forecast includes a decent chance of rain so I should be happy for the practice. My main worry about that is my hands getting cold, even if I have gloves they will get wet.

I got a lot of last-minute advice and most of it was just to enjoy the experience and don't worry about my time. All the training is done, I'm in the best shape of my life, I just need to keep going. In 5 days I will run a marathon.

I am vicariously so excited about your first marathon! You will do this!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @LaDispute57 total respect man! That was a killer course, nothing I could even imagine. You triumphed in all that adversity. The only thing you didn't do was cross that line. But you still are a winner for going through all that!

Also, they did not have to send a search and rescue out after you, so there is that. Though you might have gotten a flight on one of those fancy helicopters if they did. Something to consider next time?

Ive been looking at a half marathon out by Jackson Hole, where apparently if you get lost in the wilderness, you might get rescued by Harrison Ford. Might make having to eat your own shoes worth it...

You know he is not as young as he used to be... might not be as good at the rescue as you would like.

Yah - he crashed his plane at the OC airport here :) It might still be worth it though!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq - congratulations! and on no breakfast too!
    @LaDispute57 - I looked at that picture and thought no way and then closer and saw the people running up and thought OMG he had to run up that! DNF is nothing to hang your head about - you started, you ran, you persevered through on a tough course... So much more than so many could or would have done! Awesome job!!
    @7lenny7 - sorry about the toe but I am glad you got it checked and it is fixable! I love the pictures of Kody! If we were closer I would definitely take him along with Hobbes - assuming I was able to run too!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I actually think it may be necessary to download and edit the times on the .gpx files and then put them back up in GMT time. You would think Strava would let you edit the time/date on a run, but it seems not. So if someone has experience with that and wants to try (with help from @Orphia 's list), that would be great. If no one volunteers, there are tutorials online I can use to figure it out. I may not be able to get to it this week, though.
    @polskagirl01 It's easy to do. I have an unfortunate amount of experience with it [[ Sometimes I forget to start my watch when I start running and only notice after a kilometre or two. Then I want to take the first half that was recorded with Zombies-Run and add it to the second half of the run from the watch (which has heart rate data). But the ZR timestamp is local time and the watch is GMT, so I have to edit one of them first... ]]

Download GPX, search-and-replace the time, e.g. from "<time>2018-10-19T08" to "<time>2018-10-19T14" if you want to shift it by six hours. You just have to pay attention/think a bit about what you replace with what.

Or, what should be a very easy alternative to doing it manually if it's just about shifting to a specific start time: https://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php
    Select the correct GMT start time, add the tickmark to "time shift", and pick "UTC" from the bottom of the list in the Time Zone dropdown menu. Then you can upload the gpx file and download a corrected one (or "connect" with strava and have it uploaded there automatically).

But I'm not sure if the "ran together with" would still work after that or not.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I actually think it may be necessary to download and edit the times on the .gpx files and then put them back up in GMT time. You would think Strava would let you edit the time/date on a run, but it seems not. So if someone has experience with that and wants to try (with help from @Orphia 's list), that would be great. If no one volunteers, there are tutorials online I can use to figure it out. I may not be able to get to it this week, though.
    @polskagirl01 It's easy to do. I have an unfortunate amount of experience with it [[ Sometimes I forget to start my watch when I start running and only notice after a kilometre or two. Then I want to take the first half that was recorded with Zombies-Run and add it to the second half of the run from the watch (which has heart rate data). But the ZR timestamp is local time and the watch is GMT, so I have to edit one of them first... ]]

Download GPX, search-and-replace the time, e.g. from "<time>2018-10-19T08" to "<time>2018-10-19T14" if you want to shift it by six hours. You just have to pay attention/think a bit about what you replace with what.

Or, what should be a very easy alternative to doing it manually if it's just about shifting to a specific start time: https://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php
    Select the correct GMT start time, add the tickmark to "time shift", and pick "UTC" from the bottom of the list in the Time Zone dropdown menu. Then you can upload the gpx file and download a corrected one (or "connect" with strava and have it uploaded there automatically).

But I'm not sure if the "ran together with" would still work after that or not.

Awesome. I will try that!