October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Let's try this on Strava:

Miles for Dennis
    https://strava.com/athletes/milesfor_dennis If the link doesn't work, just search for him. "Miles for" is the first name, "Dennis" is the last name ;)

Once you're connected as followers, tag him on the run you dedicated to him (under "edit activity". That's the "add a friend who didn't log" option.) Once we get the notification, one of the administrators can save it as a Dennis run. When we have everyone's runs logged, someone who is good at the fun mapping tools can come up with some visualizations for us :) This will work for the marathons people are doing in the future as well.

Administrators: How about @Orphia , @Elise4270 , @_nikkiwolf_ , others??? Basically we're accepting friend requests, then when we get notification that someone sent us a run, add it as Dennis' own with the name of the person in the title. I had to save the picture and manually add it to my own run.

@polskagirl01 Sorry I didn't reply right away (spent Fri-Mon at my parents 50th wedding anniversary, didn't get a single chance to check in at MFP). Thank you for creating the account! Letting people tag runs and adding them seems much better than giving everyone the password. If you need one more person to accept requests & add runs, sure, I'll be happy to help :smiley:

I actually think it may be necessary to download and edit the times on the .gpx files and then put them back up in GMT time. You would think Strava would let you edit the time/date on a run, but it seems not. So if someone has experience with that and wants to try (with help from @Orphia 's list), that would be great. If no one volunteers, there are tutorials online I can use to figure it out. I may not be able to get to it this week, though.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    October goal: 95 miles

10/2: 5.5 miles
    10/3: 5 miles
    10/4: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.1miles Old Rip 5K - PR and 2nd place AG
    10/8: 5.2 miles
    10/10: 5 miles
    10/11: 5.2 miles
    10/14: 9 miles
    10/15: 3.5 miles
    10/17: 5 miles
    10/18: 4.1 miles
    10/21: 11 miles
    10/23: 4.5 miles

70.8/95 miles completed

I ran 4.5 miles this morning. The weather was perfect at ~55F. I kind of had a hard time getting going this morning though. I don't really know why.

@7lenny7 That was an awesome race report. I'm glad you are getting the toe looked at and hope they get you fixed up quickly.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run - PR 29:43.5, 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Sooooo.... two ladies in my running group are thinking about doing the Mittens Challenge in May. https://borgessrun.com/earn-your-mittens

This is a double marathon challenge -- 2 Marathons in 2 Days. They invited me. I am thinking about it. Someone talk me out of it before I break myself and my bank account. LOL

far from talking you out of it ma'am, that looks like sooooo much fun! I am more interested in the half and half option because I think with my current level of fitness I would DNF the second one if I went for the mittens challenge.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm sorry to hear that they think it's your tendon, but that pop followed by an inability to extend did sound familiar - I did my thumb in some years back with similar symptoms. Easy fix but did require surgery. I looked around on the internet to see if anyone else had a droopy toe. It seems to be a rare injury. The only other instance I found was, probably not coincidentally, another ultra guy. He had not gotten it repaired and was just attempting to live with it (and continuing to run on it, gotta love ultramarathoners) but was regretting his decision since it kept curving under his big toe and he had to tape it constantly. So, yeah, probably better to do whatever the MRI indicates. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 ... Congrats on your race and I loved the report, especially the pictures. So cool to do a timed trail race!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 That sounds like a killer race. Wonderful report. Sorry you didn’t get the result you hoped for and had that drama with your phone. An amazing effort. Congratulations! Will you try it again next year?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun I will most likely run it again, especially now that I know what to expect. If I had not lost my phone, I think I would have made it, even with the missed training.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Started a free Garmin 10K plan yesterday even though I didn't finish C25K. Since I'm signed up for a half with @sarahthes in May, I figured it was best to just keep moving forward and try to get back on schedule.
    If it helps I NEVER completed C25K, and I must have started about 5 times. I also started B210k at the beginning of the year, and never completed that either. But I kept running and now 10k is becoming my short run. Anything less just doesn't seem right anymore.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 Rough go brother, I know that I wouldn't have lasted even one of those hills, so good on ya' for making the effort. Next year will go better sir!

@MegaMooseEsq Great Race report and nice bling! So glad you had fun :) .

@Avidkeo YAY for running in a new place!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @LaDispute57 That pipeline is badass! Kudos to you. And you'll ace it next year.

@MegaMooseEsq Great race, and that's some seriously nice bling!