10/6: cross train ditched for rest
    10/7: 3 miles
    10/8: planned rest
    10/9: rest until cleared by NP
    10/10: 10 miles
    10/11: 7 miles
    10/12: 5 miles
    10/13: 4.5 miles
    10/14: impromptu rest (was scheduled tomorrow)
    10/15: 4.5 miles (yesterday's)
    10/16: 8 miles
    10/17: leg day with the hubs instead of a run (couple's time)
    10/18: 6 miles
    10/19: 5 miles
    10/20: 2.5 miles (was supposed to be 5, but severely underdressed for the wind)
    10/21: impromptu rest (no sleep-went to pumpkin patch)
    Total: 81.5 miles

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 OMG! You likely drove right past us (US 35?). If I'd have known, would have waved!

@Elise4270 Yes, took I-35 from TX up to Topeka, KS. I had taken I-35 south the same way. When I stopped for a run on the way down (Thurs.), it was at Lake Hefner in OKC. Are you near there?

Yes. We're in Ardmore. You passed right through, exits 30-32. There's nothing great in Ardmore haha!

Hefner is 2 hours north of us. At one time, we were doing some of their races at Stars and Stripes park., Won my first AG there except dh registered me as "male". There are some decent eats in OKC too.

When I was heading south on Thurs., there was just no time. On the way home, you were probably sleeping as it would have been around 1-2am. But I do recall seeing Ardmore on a sign or 2.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls - great work!!!!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 @polskagirl01 @Tramboman @MobyCarp - Great job on the racing, guys!

@MegaMooseEsq nice score on the Smartwool tights! I have a pair and they are my go-to for the coldest winter runs.

@PastorVincent I think my optimal running temperature is anywhere from 30F to 40F, depending on the wind and precipitation.

It looks like @katharmonic has her race hydration figured out!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Well done to everyone who raced this weekend, as someone else commented, what amazing things this group get up to!
    Which is why I'm going to ask this here...... how many of you do stretching and/or specific warm up BEFORE a run? I have been investigating new yoga/stretching sort of thing as I have very little flexibility as it is and am suffering from very tight legs since starting to increase my mileage, and have come across quite a few pre-run warm-up stretching videos/recommendations. All I've been doing before running is walking briskly for about 6 minutes to the place I like to start my runs. Am I doing it wrong? Should I be doing more in the way of warming up? Guess the obvious is to give it a go and see if it makes a difference, but I'm curious to see how many people here do it or think it's worth doing!

@eleanorhawkins I'm probably 3 weeks ahead of you as far as training goes, and in my experience the soreness and tightness eases. I know I went thorough a couple of weeks of constantly tight and aching legs but the last couple of weeks they have been much better. Couple be new shoes but I think it's more my legs getting used to it.

I do have a sort of specific warm up. I walk for about 4-5 minutes to my "start spot". During the walk I do fast high knees and butt kickers. I then do 10 steps each of toe walking, heel walking, toes out and then toes in. I do that 3-4 times. Then when I get to my spot I do 10 leg swings each side. I may do a little more if I'm feeling really tight. Then into it.

I did a bit of reading and there are about 100,000 different "best warm up for a run" videos and articles. I do this and it seems to work for me.

I think the biggest difference is I've changed when I stretch after a run. I used to cool down by walking home - 5 mins. Then stretching once I got home. But I think im leaving it too late. So now I do about 1-2 min walk after the run, then stretch against a fence, calves and posterior tibial ligament. I do LONG holds, 30+ seconds each position. If I feel the need, I'll throw in hamstrings too. Then walk home and do any other stretches I feel I need.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well done to everyone who raced this weekend, as someone else commented, what amazing things this group get up to!
    Which is why I'm going to ask this here...... how many of you do stretching and/or specific warm up BEFORE a run? I have been investigating new yoga/stretching sort of thing as I have very little flexibility as it is and am suffering from very tight legs since starting to increase my mileage, and have come across quite a few pre-run warm-up stretching videos/recommendations. All I've been doing before running is walking briskly for about 6 minutes to the place I like to start my runs. Am I doing it wrong? Should I be doing more in the way of warming up? Guess the obvious is to give it a go and see if it makes a difference, but I'm curious to see how many people here do it or think it's worth doing!

Static stretching is supposedly bad before running according to the latest research and actually lowers speed, power, etc. The new thing is dynamic stretching.

I do a series of butt kicks, high knees, side to side swings, and rocker squats to loosen up my legs. Then about half a mile walking before running. The rocker squats I started doing because someone said they were good for preventing shin splints, and at least for me I was getting shin splints before I started doing them, then they stopped immediately afterwards. So something to try if that's a problem for you.

I usually run and lift on alternate days and butt kicks to stretch out my quads are really necessary for me, my quads like to settle in and get tight after legs day.

I also do about ten minutes of yoga and bodyweight exercise every morning first thing, which has nothing to do with running but is where I mainly get my static stretching in.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Just back from a short run 6.5k. So in a few months I've gone from eep 6.5k to having that as basically a stretch the legs distance...

@ContraryMaryMary you got this! You are going to be awesome. Cant wait to hear your race report. You know i lived in Auckland for several years over 10 years ago and I never went on a ferry! That would have me so pissed off, being late.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Static stretching (as in, positions that you hold for a while) is for after the run, when my muscles are still warm. I may do a few dynamic stretch/drill type things before a race, or I may not. I will typically do a pre-race warmup run, and I may do some walking before that to get the blood flowing. I also do a warmup run before a speed workout. I don't do one before an ordinary easy run, and I let the first two miles of a marathon serve as the warmup for that race.

The warmup run is done at an easy pace, or as easy as I can manage while worked up for a race. The shorter the race, the longer the warmup; for a half marathon or a 15 K, I like a 2 mile out and back on the last mile of the course. For a 5K, I like doing a course preview as the warmup. I've noticed that for cross country, *everyone* wants to do a course preview for the warmup. But I like to have walked a bit even before an easy run. It's just less comfortable to start totally cold.

I don't really miss it when I fail to do drills before a race; but if I don't stretch after a run, my body will tell me about it the next day.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Static stretching (as in, positions that you hold for a while) is for after the run, when my muscles are still warm. I may do a few dynamic stretch/drill type things before a race, or I may not. I will typically do a pre-race warmup run, and I may do some walking before that to get the blood flowing. I also do a warmup run before a speed workout. I don't do one before an ordinary easy run, and I let the first two miles of a marathon serve as the warmup for that race.

The warmup run is done at an easy pace, or as easy as I can manage while worked up for a race. The shorter the race, the longer the warmup; for a half marathon or a 15 K, I like a 2 mile out and back on the last mile of the course. For a 5K, I like doing a course preview as the warmup. I've noticed that for cross country, *everyone* wants to do a course preview for the warmup. But I like to have walked a bit even before an easy run. It's just less comfortable to start totally cold.

I don't really miss it when I fail to do drills before a race; but if I don't stretch after a run, my body will tell me about it the next day.

Yeah, I am in Moby's camp. Running, with one exception, is how I loosen up to run. :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the @MobyCarp camp. Walking warms me up for an easy run, and and easy run warms me up for a harder run, and in a long race, my warm up is part of the race.

For a 5K I'll run part of the course for a warmup, but only a mile or two.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 wow, just wow. My brain cannot really compute the vastness of that achievement! Well done!

To everyone who has chipped in response to my question, thanks! Think I'll do a little bit of the pre-run moves some of you mention before I leave home. While I am getting to the 'too old to care' point now, the stretch I walk to where I start running is, at that time in the morning, packed with high school students on their way to school. Don't want them pointing at me and laughing their noisy little heads off! I will also try the stretching as soon as I stop running instead of once I get home and see if it makes any difference. The kids are all in school by then.
    Now off to google rocker squats!
    @Avidkeo I hope I have the same, my legs aren't feeling as bad now as they were a few weeks ago, but as the mileage increases they are getting tighter. I have just under 7 weeks to go.