Single and Resentful

Options

Replies

• xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    This thread should be required reading for those considering marriage. Screw the church classes about marriage, or the therapists/counselors.

I won't get into the issues from a male perspective other than to say that what you women may be feeling, talk with your husband about them because it may not be what you're thinking. Guys, listen to wife/SO. Don't offer how you're going to fix it. Listen first, think about it and openly discuss the issues about how BOTH of you will work together and make it work. Lack of communication is the single most reason for marriages failing.

Finally, for those of you who are unhappy in your marriage: Leave. Don't stick around "for the kids". Don't be afraid that you'll be on your own. If you're going to stay in a sucky marriage, you aren't doing your kids any favours. You're showing them what a bad relationship is, and it may become their life because that is how they perceive things. Family will be there for you. Friends will as well.
    You're probably thinking "Easier said than done". You're right, it is. But, it's better to go through the struggles and hardships, than it is to continually live a lie or be miserable. As others have said in this thread, it's better to be single and be happy than it is to be miserable and alone while "with" someone. Love is out there, you'll find it again.

I don't know if I agree with the bold. If you are physically safe in the marriage, maybe it might be worth it to stay.

The truth of the matter is that you see a single person complaining about their life. Because life is hard sometimes. Now add another person, who is also having some hard times sometimes. There will be ups and downs. And when that person is down, it's not pleasant. And when you're down, it's not pleasant.

Are you going to be happy in your marriage when your spouse gets depressed? Or sick? Or their parent dies?

Are men going to be happy in their marriage when their wife balloons up with pregnancy and falls in love with someone else (the baby), and spends all her time caring for the child instead of being all interested in you? And her looks and hygiene have turned her into someone you don't recognize?

Yes, you might find love again. But what is the rate of divorce for second married couples? Because, not only do you have the same situation of two people having their ups and downs together, but now you introduce a new male to your children. Will he love them like their biological father? Maybe. But what is the probability? And if you couldn't get along with your spouse when you were together, do you think you suddenly will be at peace now that other romantic partners and parenting styles and financial issues and scheduling conflicts are introduced?

Someone said, they were in a difficult marriage. The retort was, that's redundant. Marriage is inherently difficult.

For someone who is struggling in their marriage, may I suggest trying to be happy in your life? Eat well, do fun things, give those kids lots of hugs and kisses, get away from the house and spend some alone time, do some self care. Fix you instead of your spouse. If your spouse is insufferable, distance yourself - immerse yourself in a hobby. Become more spiritual, get in tune with the joy that only God can give you.

Dance.

Happiness is all about focusing on the 90% of your life that's going right.

So, you would rather live a lie and present that lie to others? Yes, marriage is challenging. Yes, it's something that always needs work, caring and tending with both partners. I'm not talking if you wake up and are suddeny unhappy. I'm talking about if it's been a while that you're unhappy, you've attempted to work on yourself and the marriage with your partner with no resolution.

As someone who was in a 20yr marriage, only to find out that she was unhappy for most of it, why stick around? Why continue to tell someone that you love them when you don't? When you actually despise, resent and hate them for so long. BTW, those were her words to me for the six months we were separated.

As to the "second marriage" you speak of. Nope. No plans to marry again. The commitent is between the people in the relaionship. Not by blessing of Gov't, nor whatever religion and diety one wishes to believe in. Nor should they have a say in how the relationship will end, only to screw over on person or the other. The courts should be the only ones to get involved, and that's only if there is a disagreement on how things are divided.

You might think I'm jaded, scorned, or hateful towards my ex. Nope, not at all I'm perfectly happy with who I am and I have no ill will towards her and hope she's happy with her new husband. But, I have learned a lot about behaviour from dealing with her, and the few relationships since her. While I don't hold those things against anyone I may get involed with, it does mean I'm more cautious.

Prep for a truth bomb. Don't read further if you're not ready for one.

She most likely told you in a thousand ways she was unhappy, and you didn't change the situation. And at some point, she reached her limit of unhappiness and disengaged and focused on her. That's when you thought everything was fine. Because she was no longer complaining. No longer fighting with you. And opened herself up emotionally for the new guy.

Here's a truth bomb for you: It's not always the guy's fault either. Was I perfect? Nope, even said I wasn't in my post. But, when she accuses you of things you never did, and it turns out she's the guilty party... Yeah.

But, I'm just going to leave it at that. Not worth wasting my time anymore.

Hugs. Hopefully you'll be able to find happiness in your future. Sometimes it surprises you when it arrives.

You're mistaken again. I'm very happy, and I'm happy being single. I've yet to meet someone who would make me not want to remain single. If/when that time comes, I'd welcome it. But, she'd have to understand that no matter what, I shall not get married again. If she doesn't like it, and is dead set on being married, that to me says something about her character. To which, I'll politely say "Thanks, there's the door." ;)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    This thread should be required reading for those considering marriage. Screw the church classes about marriage, or the therapists/counselors.

I won't get into the issues from a male perspective other than to say that what you women may be feeling, talk with your husband about them because it may not be what you're thinking. Guys, listen to wife/SO. Don't offer how you're going to fix it. Listen first, think about it and openly discuss the issues about how BOTH of you will work together and make it work. Lack of communication is the single most reason for marriages failing.

Finally, for those of you who are unhappy in your marriage: Leave. Don't stick around "for the kids". Don't be afraid that you'll be on your own. If you're going to stay in a sucky marriage, you aren't doing your kids any favours. You're showing them what a bad relationship is, and it may become their life because that is how they perceive things. Family will be there for you. Friends will as well.
    You're probably thinking "Easier said than done". You're right, it is. But, it's better to go through the struggles and hardships, than it is to continually live a lie or be miserable. As others have said in this thread, it's better to be single and be happy than it is to be miserable and alone while "with" someone. Love is out there, you'll find it again.

I don't know if I agree with the bold. If you are physically safe in the marriage, maybe it might be worth it to stay.

The truth of the matter is that you see a single person complaining about their life. Because life is hard sometimes. Now add another person, who is also having some hard times sometimes. There will be ups and downs. And when that person is down, it's not pleasant. And when you're down, it's not pleasant.

Are you going to be happy in your marriage when your spouse gets depressed? Or sick? Or their parent dies?

Are men going to be happy in their marriage when their wife balloons up with pregnancy and falls in love with someone else (the baby), and spends all her time caring for the child instead of being all interested in you? And her looks and hygiene have turned her into someone you don't recognize?

Yes, you might find love again. But what is the rate of divorce for second married couples? Because, not only do you have the same situation of two people having their ups and downs together, but now you introduce a new male to your children. Will he love them like their biological father? Maybe. But what is the probability? And if you couldn't get along with your spouse when you were together, do you think you suddenly will be at peace now that other romantic partners and parenting styles and financial issues and scheduling conflicts are introduced?

Someone said, they were in a difficult marriage. The retort was, that's redundant. Marriage is inherently difficult.

For someone who is struggling in their marriage, may I suggest trying to be happy in your life? Eat well, do fun things, give those kids lots of hugs and kisses, get away from the house and spend some alone time, do some self care. Fix you instead of your spouse. If your spouse is insufferable, distance yourself - immerse yourself in a hobby. Become more spiritual, get in tune with the joy that only God can give you.

Dance.

Happiness is all about focusing on the 90% of your life that's going right.

So, you would rather live a lie and present that lie to others? Yes, marriage is challenging. Yes, it's something that always needs work, caring and tending with both partners. I'm not talking if you wake up and are suddeny unhappy. I'm talking about if it's been a while that you're unhappy, you've attempted to work on yourself and the marriage with your partner with no resolution.

As someone who was in a 20yr marriage, only to find out that she was unhappy for most of it, why stick around? Why continue to tell someone that you love them when you don't? When you actually despise, resent and hate them for so long. BTW, those were her words to me for the six months we were separated.

As to the "second marriage" you speak of. Nope. No plans to marry again. The commitent is between the people in the relaionship. Not by blessing of Gov't, nor whatever religion and diety one wishes to believe in. Nor should they have a say in how the relationship will end, only to screw over on person or the other. The courts should be the only ones to get involved, and that's only if there is a disagreement on how things are divided.

You might think I'm jaded, scorned, or hateful towards my ex. Nope, not at all I'm perfectly happy with who I am and I have no ill will towards her and hope she's happy with her new husband. But, I have learned a lot about behaviour from dealing with her, and the few relationships since her. While I don't hold those things against anyone I may get involed with, it does mean I'm more cautious.

Prep for a truth bomb. Don't read further if you're not ready for one.

She most likely told you in a thousand ways she was unhappy, and you didn't change the situation. And at some point, she reached her limit of unhappiness and disengaged and focused on her. That's when you thought everything was fine. Because she was no longer complaining. No longer fighting with you. And opened herself up emotionally for the new guy.

Here's a truth bomb for you: It's not always the guy's fault either. Was I perfect? Nope, even said I wasn't in my post. But, when she accuses you of things you never did, and it turns out she's the guilty party... Yeah.

But, I'm just going to leave it at that. Not worth wasting my time anymore.

Hugs. Hopefully you'll be able to find happiness in your future. Sometimes it surprises you when it arrives.

You're mistaken again. I'm very happy, and I'm happy being single. I've yet to meet someone who would make me not want to remain single. If/when that time comes, I'd welcome it. But, she'd have to understand that no matter what, I shall not get married again. If she doesn't like it, and is dead set on being married, that to me says something about her character. To which, I'll politely say "Thanks, there's the door." ;)
    i think the opposite is true as well
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    [/quote]

My Aunt actually did just this for her 40th birthday. She had been bummed that she probably would never marry, so she through a huge party for herself. Rented a hall, got a band, had it catered, got a super nice dress, and we all celebrated along with her. [/quote]

I would be to embarrassed to do this. I would be afraid that everyone would think I’m pathetic for being old and alone. I really admire people who can be happy and don’t care what other people think. It’s something I really need to work on.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I love my wife and I am happy with my married life.
    Things could always be better of course, but life is what happens when you are trying to make other plans.

Sorry to hear some of you regret the choices you consciously made.
    It is interesting to read that the problems seem to be mostly your spouse's and/or your kids' fault.

It clearly isn't because you might have failed to adequately communicate your expectations to/of them or set appropriate boundaries or goals.

Life -married or single- takes work to do well, just like getting fit.
    Life is not a fairy tale and this goes double for "married life"

Like we say in my field: "If it was easy, everyone would be a black belt (or champion)."

* My wife approves of this message and concurs.

I disagree with the bold. You can communicate all you want. People are going to human, regardless.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of blame to go around when relationships fail. Especially long term relationships.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    This thread needs some lightening up. Still on topic though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRiGtHTJb0A
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018
    Options

I would be to embarrassed to do this. I would be afraid that everyone would think I’m pathetic for being old and alone. I really admire people who can be happy and don’t care what other people think. It’s something I really need to work on.

I've been to three big banquet hall style birthday parties. At no time did I think it was pathetic. It was joyous and wonderful, each time. No one was thinking about their marital status, just how wonderful the party was.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

100% agree with everything.

I must add, as a child of divorce, I was so much happier after the divorce. Staying together for the kids doesnt help the kids. My dad and step mom are doing that now and my brother and sister are unhappy.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I love my family dearly but am feeling a little resentful today for having to shell out money again for a family occasion. I’m the oldest of four and unfortunately single. Over the years I have spent thousands on weddings, showers, bachelorette parties, baby showers, christening gifts, etc.. It’s not that I don’t want to celebrate their joyous occasions but I’m sad it will never be returned. In my mid 40’s, I’ll never have a baby and may never get married. It’s not that I’m keeping track of the money and want it back but it would be nice to be acknowledged that I’ve gone above and beyond over the years and have never been celebrated myself. I know that’s selfish. Just feeling sorry for myself today I guess as I’m on my way to celebrate another event that I’ll never have.

I am sorry you are feeling down about this. And on some level I understand. I was the youngest of 5, last to get married, last to have children. So for years until age 34 (became a mom) I was the go to person in the family for setting up parties, holding the parties and doling out for all of the things you list. I have a question for you. On your Birthday and at Christmas how many people in your family remember you? Or invite you over just to invite you over? There are many ways when people get together things can be celebrated. And reading all the input on this post made me stop and think about that. I now live in a different state that most of my family, but when we visit, we are literally asked to see everyone.

I read and laughed a bit about the input about being a parent/spouse as yes I went through that whole cycle and for the record teenagers OMG there is nothing anywhere like anger/depression/fun/ force of a teenager they make the terrible twos and threes seem like a breeze. Still married to same guy for 35 years now because we still love each other through rough times as well as easy times, keeping sense of humor intact at all times.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

I must add, as a child of divorce, I was so much happier after the divorce. Staying together for the kids doesnt help the kids. My dad and step mom are doing that now and my brother and sister are unhappy.

Your parents dissolved their marriage. So your dad got into a second marriage. And now you want him to dissolve the second one.

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I have never thought about this aspect.

Coupla things:

Don’t buy your nieces and nephews birthday or Xmas gifts (if you do this already), your siblings will thank you. Trust me

Second, i can’t tell if this is about the money or if it’s just a reminder that you’re single and feel lonely but I just want to say that ‘having someone’ can be desperately lonely too. Marriage is not all it’s cracked up to be. Kids are generally jerks and any parent who says differently probably never actually spends time with their kids 😅. I’m currently engaged in a Mexican standoff with my husband over the dirty dishes and even though it’s been a few days, he still doesn’t even know that I’ve waged battle. I can’t remember the last time we had an engaging conversation. My son is a budding bully and I have to work with him constantly on empathy. My daughter is a martyr and an eternal victim and she’s only 7. Her favorite activity is throwing a tantrum. I spend most days irritable and resentful that I had kids ‘because that’s just what you do’. I know some day they’ll outgrow this but my daily mother’s guilt level is somewhere between self-loathing and a low-grade level of black despair.

Now. Several people might quote this and say “I love my marriage and kids” and that’s great. I’m glad. But the silent majority get it, although most of them are wise enough not to put it out so flatly like this. 😬

So I guess I’m saying.. the grass is always greener. You envy us. We envy you. But I can tell you that no amount of gifts I received for babies or showers or my wedding even come close to making up for what are decidedly my biggest regrets and the loss of my freedom.

Disclaimer: I love my kids. I do not regret their existence. But I truly hate being a parent and it’s something I need to work out so they never feel as though I resent them. *Edit* This is getting better as they get older, so there’s hope

Most important thing though: I have no intention of invalidating your feelings. I don’t mean to imply that you shouldn’t feel upset because others have it worse. I’m just trying to share the real life aspects of what you feel you’re missing out on.

This is my longest post ever.

tl;dr

4wpyrny82m4o.gif
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Your parents dissolved their marriage. So your dad got into a second marriage. And now you want him to dissolve the second one.

Yes because they were both dysfunctional. There was no example of healthy marriage in either marriage. If the kids are miserable, why continue? I will also add that he rushed into a relationship with my now step mom before the divorce papers were even dry.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    I think that there's a big issue here, the fact that happiness seems so damn elusive. Whether you're married, divorced, single, a parent, or without children. Sometimes we think if things were different, then we would really be happy. But that's so false. You have to make an effort at happiness. You have to consciously decide to be happy. I don't really know when I will get there 100% myself but I do know that it's a gift when you find it.

I agree...its perspective...really...all joking aside
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    I think that there's a big issue here, the fact that happiness seems so damn elusive. Whether you're married, divorced, single, a parent, or without children. Sometimes we think if things were different, then we would really be happy. But that's so false. You have to make an effort at happiness. You have to consciously decide to be happy. I don't really know when I will get there 100% myself but I do know that it's a gift when you find it.

Happiness is a Serious Problem.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You 100% need to work on this.

I have never thought of my single friends as sad for celebrating their birthday, why would I? It makes no sense?