Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Halloween Issues

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Leftover candy ... We're sending them overseas as part of military care packages.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    We just had a bunch of these over the weekend:

czgfh8ep8fe9.png

Recipe? You can't post stuff like that without telling us how to make it - it's in the rules somewhere.

This is the recipe we used:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/254844/halloween-candy-corn-jell-o-shots/

Came out perfect!

Mmm, thanks!
  • mtdb8
    mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1. I love candy corn.
    2. A little girl came to my house last night with a group. She was dressed up but she didn't have a pail. She said she couldn't have my treat. I felt bad because I had nothing for her.

Next year I'd love to have a treat for her. But if I bought a coloring book or something, wouldn't all the kids want one? What's the best way to handle?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    1. I love candy corn.
    2. A little girl came to my house last night with a group. She was dressed up but she didn't have a pail. She said she couldn't have my treat. I felt bad because I had nothing for her.

Next year I'd love to have a treat for her. But if I bought a coloring book or something, wouldn't all the kids want one? What's the best way to handle?

We had 2 bowls, one with candy and one with non-food treats :smile:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I only eat white Smarties, but I don’t expect the candy hander-outers to separate them for me.
  • 777Gemma888
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Our neighbourhood has an online Halloween map for residents .

*All the just candy houses are marked.
    * Homes with haunted themes where children are expected to view the trickery pre-candy or non-candy treats are marked.
    * Homes which have been converted into just haunted scenes or something politically halloweeny
    * Homes with both or just non candy treats are marked.
    * Homes where adults may enjoy beers and tacos or wine and cheese with fruit
    * Rolling adult Halloween party homes ... Eat and drink something at every home.
    * Homes where teens and 20s in costume may trick or treat
    * The soccer field where decorated trunks with treats are (registered vehicles only)

Naturally, ALL homes are registered with the HOA board member responsible for special events .
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

* Homes with haunted themes where children are expected to view the trickery pre-candy or non-candy treats are marked.
    * Homes which have been converted into just haunted scenes or something politically halloweeny
    * Rolling adult Halloween party homes ... Eat and drink something at every home.
    * The soccer field where decorated trunks with treats are (registered vehicles only)

Naturally, ALL homes are registered with the HOA board member responsible for special events .

LOL, if this is a real thing. I was just listening to a podcast yesterday and the host was talking about how the officers of HOAs tend to be the most anal retentive, people who need to get a life individuals, he's ever known. Sounds like he was right.

• 777Gemma888
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

LOL, if this is a real thing. I was just listening to a podcast yesterday and the host was talking about how the officers of HOAs tend to be the most anal retentive, people who need to get a life individuals, he's ever known. Sounds like he was right.

They're pretty cool about social events. Makes things easier for parents. You don't have to register your home though, it's just that people may not come to your home, which did happen to some residents ... It's heating the pool and which ones are closed for the Winter they're anal about. And they get a lot of money, coz water is private here, yet no solar heating for our pools. The jacuzzi is card heat/bubble controlled - bloody annoying to get out in the cold to restart it.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

What does this even mean? I know it's been a minute since I was trick or treating, but I don't recall anything about sports or trees?? (Of course, I grew up in the desert and trees aren't really a thing we have there....)
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    1. I love candy corn.

Dude, you should have handed her a dollar bill or a 5 even and told her to buy a sugar free Pepperidge Farm Peppermint Dream or Turtle.

• 777Gemma888
    edited November 2018
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

What does this even mean? I know it's been a minute since I was trick or treating, but I don't recall anything about sports or trees?? (Of course, I grew up in the desert and trees aren't really a thing we have there....)

People who don't want trick or treaters knocking on their doors. Their car boot/trunks are decorated, and they sit by it to hand out candy. Kinda like a Halloween tailgating party ... Usually people setup like a sports tailgate only, they have tacos and beer or margaritas, instead of BBQ for themselves and adults and candy for the children. A man even hid beneath his truck dressed as a spooky clown, scaring everyone. Rather spirited neighbours here.Lol.

Some people dislike teens trick or treating. I am one, if they bully little children & toddlers to get to the doors.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

People who don't want trick or treaters knocking on their doors. Their car boot/trunks are decorated, and they sit by it to hand out candy. Kinda like a Halloween tailgating party ... Usually people setup like a sports tailgate only, they have tacos and beer or margaritas, instead of BBQ for themselves and adults and candy for the children. A man even hid beneath his truck dressed as a spooky clown, scaring everyone. Rather spirited neighbours here.Lol.

Some people dislike teens trick or treating. I am one, if they bully little children & toddlers to get to the doors.

That certainly sounds like a spectacle! I guess kids today are a far cry from hobo outfits and pillowcases!
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

That certainly sounds like a spectacle! I guess kids today are a far cry from hobo outfits and pillowcases!

Very much so. We had a group of girls who were a walking fruit bowl. One was the bowl. Three were bananas. 2 apples. 1 pear. Hilarious. Vegetable bin. Same concept. Found these pre teens and teens entertaining because they were not trying to be hot, just vegan. Lol
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Wow. Up here, if you want trick or treaters you turn on your front light. If not, turn it off. Never heard of HOA.

The houses that are more into it decorate a bit. There was a pumpkin shortage this year so about every 5th to 8th house had a jack o lantern. There are a handful of haunted houses in the city, but not in each neighbourhood.

No one parks outside in chairs. This is Canada so if we are having a good year if it is above freezing/zero. We've gone out on ice and a foot of snow a few times. Lol Parents do walk with their kids and socialize, perhaps some drinks, but nothing much.

No age limits on trick or treaters. My kids move in a pack of grade 9 to 4s. It's fun. TBH, I think the prime pushing at the door age is grades 4-6 - very much the me-me-me age. ;) I find the kids get more polite as they age. Some make the older kids sing. I dislike it when strangers decide who is too old to participate. My 13 year old is almost 6 ft, but a 16 year old we met up with is under 5ft and she has no issues despite the fact that she is 4 grades ahead of my son. Lol IMO, if you want to go, and are polite, go for it - there are worse things the teens could do. ;)

I probably pushed the age limit I let my boys ToT. We lived in a very rural area until they were 11 and 14, so the walking door to door in the neighborhood thing wasn't possible. They (especially the 11yo) wanted to SO badly, so I said *kitten* it and let them. Unfortunately, I don't have petite children, so they easily looked 3-4 years older and I'm sure they annoyed some people. But they were very polite, and it wasn't about the candy (we had heaps at our own house for handing out). They just wanted to show off their costumes and experience Halloween in a way they didn't get to when they were younger.

I don't mind seeing the older kids at our door in the least. I've never had them be rude or push littles out of the way. There are far worse things they could be up to on Halloween.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Wow. Up here, if you want trick or treaters you turn on your front light. If not, turn it off. Never heard of HOA.

The houses that are more into it decorate a bit. There was a pumpkin shortage this year so about every 5th to 8th house had a jack o lantern. There are a handful of haunted houses in the city, but not in each neighbourhood.

No one parks outside in chairs. This is Canada so if we are having a good year if it is above freezing/zero. We've gone out on ice and a foot of snow a few times. Lol Parents do walk with their kids and socialize, perhaps some drinks, but nothing much.

No age limits on trick or treaters. My kids move in a pack of grade 9 to 4s. It's fun. TBH, I think the prime pushing at the door age is grades 4-6 - very much the me-me-me age. ;) I find the kids get more polite as they age. Some make the older kids sing. I dislike it when strangers decide who is too old to participate. My 13 year old is almost 6 ft, but a 16 year old we met up with is under 5ft and she has no issues despite the fact that she is 4 grades ahead of my son. Lol IMO, if you want to go, and are polite, go for it - there are worse things the teens could do. ;)

I probably pushed the age limit I let my boys ToT. We lived in a very rural area until they were 11 and 14, so the walking door to door in the neighborhood thing wasn't possible. They (especially the 11yo) wanted to SO badly, so I said *kitten* it and let them. Unfortunately, I don't have petite children, so they easily looked 3-4 years older and I'm sure they annoyed some people. But they were very polite, and it wasn't about the candy (we had heaps at our own house for handing out). They just wanted to show off their costumes and experience Halloween in a way they didn't get to when they were younger.

I don't mind seeing the older kids at our door in the least. I've never had them be rude or push littles out of the way. There are far worse things they could be up to on Halloween.

Yeah, I'm all for the big kids enjoying these activities too. They are just kids even if they are getting big. Dressing up and trick or treating the neighborhood is a better activity than a party or just wandering (for many kids).

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've never minded the teens either. We don't get rude ones around here, they usually come later and are polite.
  • 777Gemma888
    Options
    @Halloween this year. 💚💚The teens and 20 somethings in our neighbourhood - they were fantastic. Some even spun nursery rhymes, including Baby Shark mixed with Jaws on their DJ kits. The toddlers ALMOST died from happiness. Night was far too short for them, strollers be GONE!

A complete juxtaposition from teens and young adults in LA. Some used to say, that people from East LA ruined Halloween because they bullied children at the doors as they ran past, and by little ones. Most parents don't ascend stairs with the babies to knock, just the usual prompts, " what do you say?" Others claimed, it's just greedy teens and adults wanting the larger bars of candy.

When we'd moved to SD, noticed some homes actually had signs. Garage candy bins with scarier decor - 12 years and up. @Door under 12. We thought, " not a bad idea!"

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    @Halloween this year. 💚💚The teens and 20 somethings in our neighbourhood - they were fantastic. Some even spun nursery rhymes, including Baby Shark mixed with Jaws on their DJ kits. The toddlers ALMOST died from happiness. Night was far too short for them, strollers be GONE!

A complete juxtaposition from teens and young adults in LA. Some used to say, that people from East LA ruined Halloween because they bullied children at the doors as they ran past, and by little ones. Most parents don't ascend stairs with the babies to knock, just the usual prompts, " what do you say?" Others claimed, it's just greedy teens and adults wanting the larger bars of candy.

When we'd moved to SD, noticed some homes actually had signs. Garage candy bins with scarier decor - 12 years and up. @Door under 12. We thought, " not a bad idea!"

Hey, San Diego or South Dakota?
  • 777Gemma888
    Options

Hey, San Diego or South Dakota?

San DIego