November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    What happened was that I completely ruptured the extensor digitorum longus of my second toe. This is the tendon which straightens the toe and helps lift up the foot. It's highly unusual for a rupture like this to be associated with athletic activity. My surgeon, with 30 years experience, had never seen this happen because of running. The surgeon took the remaining tendon attached to my toe and attached it to the EDL of my third toe so that they still fire together.

Did your surgeon happen to say what usually causes this kind of injury?

@MegaMooseEsq he didn't but I'll have to ask him. I did do some googling and found this 2004 article which studied, among other things, sports related injuries of the EDL tendon. They found only two reports of EDL tendon injures in medical literature related to sports. In one case, a squash player had his pop when he rolled his ankle. In the other case, a hockey player had his cut from another player's skate.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins We are in charge of our phones; our phones are not in charge of us!!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Something to share with your non-running friends or family members

http://www.therightfits.com/2017/05/talk-runners-advice-non-runner/
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins We are in charge of our phones; our phones are not in charge of us!!!

lol yeah but my phone is a sadistic little piece of plastic that likes to taunt me
  • krissytin2781
    krissytin2781 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Coming back from an IT band injury, so taking it slow...
    Nov 1: Rest
    Nov 2: 1.59 miles
    Nov 3: Rest
    Nov 4: Rest
    Nov 5: 3.11 miles
    Nov 6: Active Rest Day, walked 1.50 miles
    Nov 7: 3.13 miles (First run without my knee bothering me!!)

TOTAL: 7.83 out of 28 (roughly 30% there!)
  • Tramboman
    Options

lol yeah but my phone is a sadistic little piece of plastic that likes to taunt me

Threaten it with either a hammer or a bucket full of water...

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Phones no longer need fear hammers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i1bVTJioGE
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent do you have good returns on Instagram ads? I'm working on a Facebook ads funnel to test next year. I've never really tried them but took a class so I feel a bit more confident in running them.

Eh, no, but I am not really good at this promotion stuff. I was surprised to see my ad on Instagram actually. I did not even know i was running one! :lol: Turns out if you run adds on FB, they also show up on Instagram. Who knew? Not me. Hence, see my first comment. ;)
  • Tramboman
    Options

... need a bigger hammer...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

Sure, but drop it out of your pocket on to the lone stone on the driveway and boom.

I think it's like car glass. Hit with a hammer, no chance, hit with a Sharpe pointy object...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    What happened was that I completely ruptured the extensor digitorum longus of my second toe. This is the tendon which straightens the toe and helps lift up the foot. It's highly unusual for a rupture like this to be associated with athletic activity. My surgeon, with 30 years experience, had never seen this happen because of running. The surgeon took the remaining tendon attached to my toe and attached it to the EDL of my third toe so that they still fire together.

Did your surgeon happen to say what usually causes this kind of injury?

@MegaMooseEsq he didn't but I'll have to ask him. I did do some googling and found this 2004 article which studied, among other things, sports related injuries of the EDL tendon. They found only two reports of EDL tendon injures in medical literature related to sports. In one case, a squash player had his pop when he rolled his ankle. In the other case, a hockey player had his cut from another player's skate.

Hah, looks like our googles aligned.
    Something to share with your non-running friends or family members

http://www.therightfits.com/2017/05/talk-runners-advice-non-runner/

I think my husband could have written this. Very funny.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Congrats on the grand-baby!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the granddaughter @ddmom0811! Love the name.
    Congrats on the house @MegaMooseEsq! From your description it sounds like an amazing house and location!
    @Orphia - hope the knee is just nerves.
    @debrakgoogins glad you are back on the road! Very impressive returning so soon.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Congratulations! That is a beautiful name.

@7lenny7 That's great you don't need a cast much longer! I would want to see the pictures.

I had my husband take one of my wound every day since my surgery, because it is mid-back, and I can't get a good look at it otherwise. It was six weeks yesterday, so we'll switch to once a week now. He always says it looks much worse in the pictures. I am allowed to put stuff on it starting today, which I'm hoping will reduce the itch. It is finally less bumpy; the stitches must have mostly dissolved.

Here are some before and after photos (the first photo was taken the year before when the mole was normal):
    fcgv7w4en83c.jpg
    9cchb71mgmhw.jpg
    axcd7evo86iq.jpg
    9soaj5gmwgdv.jpg
    cr4qxtm77t0m.jpg
    64cvg4hugq1f.jpeg
    I have sensitive skin, so I reacted to the bandages for about two weeks or so after. Still waiting on a full-body mole and lymph node check, which are supposed to be every three months but will not begin until the end of January because mine wasn't discovered through a dermatologist, and I had to wait for the referral to one. Not at all impressed with Canada's healthcare in this regard, but my surgery happened quickly at least.