November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    06/11 3.15 miles
    07/11 3.13 miles - run in the almost dark this evening, only needed my torch near end. Theres something very relaxing about it.

exercise.png

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Hahaha. If there is an open pack of Oreo's anywhere around me, they don't last very long! They are my weakness.

Was this a foil pack of 6 oreos, or the gigantic packs they sell in the US with 3 rows of cookies?
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @lkpducky I have some flexibility but not as much as if I worked from home! I need to be on-site from 8-9 AM MWF but when I start and when I leave is otherwise up to me as long as I'm here 8 hours total. I have some discretion for long lunches as well as long as I punch out for them (we are not required to clock out for lunch if we stick to our allotted 30 minutes).
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Re: office views, I've really lucked out. No dreary windowless cubicle for me...

mnruf3dm4etb.jpg

(However it is currently -8C. So there's that.)

@sarahthes jealous despite the temp.
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I work from home so 1) I have a nice view from my window of the trees and condo buildings outside and doggies passing by and 2) I have a flexible schedule.

@lkpducky :p
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Then I had an epiphany, I have a wrist based HRM, not a chest one. So accuracy is way off.

This is not true. Assuming you have a Garmin, Apple, or another major brand, they are accurate. Oh and assuming you are wearing it in such a way that the sensor is close to your skin and not bouncing around.

You could always test it by manually measuring your heart rate and comparing if you do not believe your watch. Assuming you count well, should be with a handful of BPM.

Oh I believed for some reason the wrist based ones were not as accurate as a chest strap. Learning lots.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Then I had an epiphany, I have a wrist based HRM, not a chest one. So accuracy is way off.

This is not true. Assuming you have a Garmin, Apple, or another major brand, they are accurate. Oh and assuming you are wearing it in such a way that the sensor is close to your skin and not bouncing around.

You could always test it by manually measuring your heart rate and comparing if you do not believe your watch. Assuming you count well, should be with a handful of BPM.

Oh I believed for some reason the wrist based ones were not as accurate as a chest strap. Learning lots.

they didn't used to be. now they are much better :smile:
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I work from home so 1) I have a nice view from my window of the trees and condo buildings outside and doggies passing by and 2) I have a flexible schedule.

Two jobs prior to this one I was full-time work from home. I miss that. I do not miss the pay though. I am making 50% more here. :smiley:

I am surprised how happy I've been working from home full-time. I was worried about it since the last time I was at home all day was during a prolonged period of unemployment - I probably should have realized that having work plus not being in a much better mental health space (not unrelated) would make a lot of difference. I'm seriously considering not looking for work for a couple of years at least. It helps that the money's good, of course.

Anxiety is so rough. A friend recently posted an article about why it's so frustrating when people claim that running or other exercise is a cure for mental illness. Running is a great boost to my mental health, but I never could have gotten into running the way I have if I hadn't already done a lot of work to get to a healthier place mentally. For me, it's kind of like weight loss - I don't consider exercise alone to be a sustainable way to lose weight, but it is an excellent way to maintain after losing.

ETA: I certainly don't mean to denigrate anyone who personally feels that running/exercise was genuinely a cure for them. Also I'm making a distinction between anxiety as an emotion everyone experiences sometimes and anxiety as a mental health diagnosis.

@eleanorhawkins: Individual counseling worked for me for a long time, until it didn't. It's absolutely an important tool but it's not the only one. My primary treatment these days is medication supplemented by journaling and running. I've been getting my medication through my primary care doctor as my prescription has been fairly stable, though I am considering trying a new psychiatrist for quarterly sit-downs. I've never gotten along well with psychiatrists in the past, but my husband really loves the one he's seeing and I'm thinking it might be worth a try.

I also work from home and love it but, as mentioned, the pay is pretty cr@p so it isn't all good.

Re: anxiety and running and my daughter I certainly don't expect it to be a cure but I really do believe (based on my own experience only, however she is like a carbon copy of me!) it would do her a lot of good.
    Personally:
    I find that my brain calms down a bit when I'm physically tired after running, reducing the amount of 'mental overexcitement' and random fretting it indulges in for a while.
    While running I have time to think out and churn over issues that are bothering me without gnawing my nails off up to the knuckles or mindlessly munching through the contents of the kitchen while I'm at it.
    The sense of accomplishment and achievement I get from my increasing ability to run for longer/further/faster boosts my self-confidence and makes me feel better with and about myself.
    There are more, but those are the things I think would help her and the reasons I keep on trying. Oh, it has also given me better control over my breathing, and breathing techniques/exercises were the only thing that seemed to help at all when she was seeing the psychologist. Medication has yet to be offered and to be honest, she's only 13, we're not all that sure we would want to be putting her on medication so young unless all else fails.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,091 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I'm sort of new to this thread and have skipped some of the posts, so I'm not familiar with your injury. What happened? I'm glad you are going to get out of the cast earlier than you thought. Sorry it'll be a while before you can run again.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,091 Member
    Options
    Was this a foil pack of 6 oreos, or the gigantic packs they sell in the US with 3 rows of cookies?

It's the gigantic packs they sell in the US! I won't eat them all in one setting, but will get one or two every time I'm near the pack, so they don't last long. LOL If I had a pack of ONLY 6, I'd probably eat them in one setting.