November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Woke up to a feels like temp of 17F (-8 C) and a light dusting of snow. I guess it is official. No fall this year.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    We escaped! The room only has a 40% survival rate, so we beat the odds!

I love your motley crew of characters!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @garygse Very nice! But we knew that'd happen. My husband has only just started to add some gu to his runs. He doesnt seem to feel hes needed them. I suggested it may help his recovery.

I suppose fuel requirements are a matter of conditioning.

I remember when a half required a gu at mid point. Oh wait... I can only run 2-3 miles. Dang it. Brain forgot body is lagging. Well, i did see a difference eventually. Once 45 minutes was fuel time then none for 90...

Way to be Speedy!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Scott6255, @katharmonic, @Tramboman, @workaholic_nurse, @Orphia, @PastorVincent Thanks guys for the kind words! :blush:

Orphia wrote: »
    @garygse Bravo on your marathon PB!!

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

Say, you did this almost unfueled?

Do you believe in this "fat adaptation" stuff from the LCHF evangelists?

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

First, I've always believed in balanced diets, so no "high this, low that" or restrictive diets...just sensible portions of foods that for the most part deliver most of the required nutrients (that's not to say that I think these diets don't work...they're just not for me). So in that respect, I don't read up on any kind of diet, and had to look up fat adaptation. I can't say I'm sold on it...especially when the site I read contained lines like "this basic physiology appears to be lost on most doctors and dieticians [sic] worldwide" which just stinks of woo science if you ask me.

Personally, I think your last line is spot on.

edit: missed a name!

It seems to me if you are doing unfueled marathons (by the way, wow) you have to have developed the ability to burn fat for fuel - there's no magic involved and there's only so much glycogen in your muscles and liver. However that doesn't mean you have to have eaten a certain prescribed way and put yourself in permanent ketosis to accomplish this.

Like autophagy (for which a Nobel prize was won) ketosis is a real thing - but there's a lot of woo science around it. I read an MFP article touting intermittent fasting as necessary for autophagy which would make your loose skin miraculously disappear after weight loss the other day. First of all, the MFP blog is a shambles, they will post anything, and second, your body is going to clean up old cells no matter when you eat. Can you make it do this better and more efficiently? Probably! But don't necessarily believe the people with a string of junk degrees who say they know how, and it's almost certainly not going to remove entire organs.

Can humans run entire marathons without fuel, and still eat normally, not keto, at other times? apparently so!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 that sounds like one heck of a party event!

@garygse that run and your schedule are mind-boggling and inspiring (and others here with their mega mileage too!)

Makes me think whether running fewer days a week with higher mileage on each one is better than 5x/week with slightly lower mileage except for the long run...?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 Rest
    11-2 7k intervals
    11-3 7k easy
    11-4 10.5k slow
    11-5 7k recovery
    11-6 Rest
    11-7 7k intervals
    11-8 7k easy
    11-9 Rest
    11-10 7k

November total: 52.5k
    November goal: 150k

Today was the first "ice in the beard day" of the winter running season - 24 degrees F with a strong wind. Yesterday's rain/snow mix froze overnight, and some light fresh snow fell on top of it. Where there was snow on the ice, footing wasn't bad; but where there was just ice, the footing was terrible. Ran at a pace that I thought wouldn't result in my slipping and wrenching a knee or falling and breaking my *kitten*. Did give some thought to making this my long run day, but eventually decided to let tomorrow bring what tomorrow brings and concentrate on running centered and not hurting myself.
    @MobyCarp have a great half tomorrow. I hope the wind direction keeps the lake effect snow off your course.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks! :smile: Regarding your husband's runs, if he doesn't feel like he needs additional fueling, then he probably doesn't need it (right now). It's one of those things though that once you get to a point in the run where you feel like you really do need it, then it's going to be too late to take a gel. Also, temps play a huge part...during the summer when I sweat a whole lot more, I definitely need gels on runs of 20 miles or more, and may take two, three, or even four during the run.

@rheddmobile Couldn't agree more...and I admit I should've read more before tossing out the woo word based on the several articles I read.

@lkpducky It goes without saying that high-mileage runners weren't always able to run those distances, and if you ask 10 different high-mileage runners how they got to that point, you'll probably get 10 different answers that may or may not share some similarities. What works for one person won't necessarily work for the next, so you just have to experiment and slowly increase the distances. Whether that's a few longer-distanced runs or several shorter-distanced runs is entirely up to the individual; your body will generally let you know when you're trying to do too much (and you'll learn to recognize the signs) and so you adjust your schedule accordingly. Just be sure to get sufficient rest and recovery time in.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/02/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/03/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/05/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    11/06/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 6.2
    11/07/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 6.2
    11/08/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 9.2
    11/09/18 :::: 3.0 :::: 12.2
    11/10/18 :::: 5.5 :::: 17.7

First "long run" since the marathon. The weather turned out to be not so bad, and the sun came out. No precipitation but it was windy and chilly, right around 32 degrees. It seemed like an abrupt change from any previous runs, probably harder to adapt mentally to cold-weather running than physically (and keep from whining too much). I felt done after an hour, so decided to call it good enough for the first week back to running.

Now it's time to take the dog out for her exercise before the weather turns. Snow expected this afternoon and overnight.

So, on that note - good luck @MobyCarp at the Syracuse Half tomorrow! I hope the weather isn't too terrible for you. I would say I'll be out to cheer you on but I'm probably going to be a fair-weather fan on this one.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Good luck!