November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    OK so people keep talking about keeping their heart rate under control, and in proper zones etc. Should I be worried? pretty much every run I do my HR is about 50% in zone 5, then about 40% zone 4 and the rest spread over the last 3 zones. I never looked because I don't care. Just looking at my 20k run I was the above. though sometime I'm more in zone 4 than 5. my max is around 175-180 with my average closer to 165 (slowly coming down) and again I don't actually care. should I?

I'm kinda of the opinion of hey its working for me, don't let it worry you... oh my VO2 max is 44. went briefly up to 45 but am now a steady 44. I'm pretty stoked with that haha

For reference, in my half I spent 1:32 in zone 4 and 16 minutes in zone 3. Less than a minute in zones 1 and 2, and I never hit zone 5 at all. Wouldn't expect to on a half as I don't get to 'I'm going to puke' speeds.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 https://www.madewithsisu.com/designs - Not sure how it will work on combining multiple files from multiple athlete's but for individuals it pulls the Strava Data files and builds an interesting visual reference of all your runs that you can then save as a .jpg and print. It's interesting to look at and try to pick out what route/trail/race each squiggle represents.
    Makes for an interesting Rorschach test.

l0ruw0snxkzu.jpg

This is so cool. Love it.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Instead of a mileage goal, I’m going to switch it up a bit. My next half is February 2. I’m going to follow Higdons intermediate 2 plan. So instead of tracking miles I’m going to track the workouts. I want to miss few, if any, workouts. I started a week early knowing that some weeks will be hard to get them all in. So by the time Feb 2 rolls around the goal is to have all 64 workouts checked off.

1/64

Great plan. I did that one for my half last year. Good to add in a couple extra weeks as well.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Some cool stuff here! I've been working on documenting the Dennis run on Strava... Since I was time-zone shifting it anyway, I moved @juliet3455 ahead a day while I was at it. Then I realized... both @shanaber and @rheddmobile did their runs early, on Saturday, but their runs lined up with each other and @Orphia's start - so I believe the relay actually started at 1730 instead of 2000 GMT :) and went until 2300 the next day!

I made manual entries for those I didn't have Strava runs for, but if someone else has a gpx file or run on Strava, feel free to send it my way. You can add "Miles for Dennis" on Strava, then tag him in your run that you dedicated to him. NOTE: You can do this for the marathons you're dedicating to him later as well. If I entered your run manually, don't be offended if it takes up your entire signed-up slot - I had distances for most of you, but not the time you spent running, so just entered what you were signed up for. The only 2 people I couldn't find run info on in the threads were @ctlaws44 and @rusgolden - did either of you run during the relay?

Question: what apps do you use to visualize this sort of thing? I have a list of activities on Strava now, all in the same time zone (whew!); some have maps, others don't. Ideas???

This was Oct 14-15, correct? I ran 8 mi on Sat 13th @ 7a CT but developed some hip/glute pain and with a race coming up on the 20th, I gave it some extra rest.

Mainly it was Oct. 14 GMT time, so your run would've been a little early. BUT if you feel like you were intentionally thinking of Dennis/"running for him", we'll count it :)

ETA: Just got your request, thanks!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Question: what apps do you use to visualize this sort of thing? I have a list of activities on Strava now, all in the same time zone (whew!); some have maps, others don't. Ideas???

@polskagirl01 https://www.madewithsisu.com/designs - Not sure how it will work on combining multiple files from multiple athlete's but for individuals it pulls the Strava Data files and builds an interesting visual reference of all your runs that you can then save as a .jpg and print. It's interesting to look at and try to pick out what route/trail/race each squiggle represents.
    Makes for an interesting Rorschach test.

l0ruw0snxkzu.jpg

7.14 km Riverbank trails. A weird distance but when it's pitch black and you can't actually see your watch display all I could do was stop and save the run then look at it when I got inside. The joys of winter running after the Daylight Savings Time Change. The trails were plowed but had lots of black ice shiners so it made for interesting footstrikes and pushoff's. Didn't fall - no funky Ice Flash dancing all because I pulled back on speed and concentrated on clean landings under my hips and gentle pushoff's.

Thank you! That's one that I was trying to find.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    OK so people keep talking about keeping their heart rate under control, and in proper zones etc. Should I be worried? pretty much every run I do my HR is about 50% in zone 5, then about 40% zone 4 and the rest spread over the last 3 zones. I never looked because I don't care. Just looking at my 20k run I was the above. though sometime I'm more in zone 4 than 5. my max is around 175-180 with my average closer to 165 (slowly coming down) and again I don't actually care. should I?

I'm kinda of the opinion of hey its working for me, don't let it worry you... oh my VO2 max is 44. went briefly up to 45 but am now a steady 44. I'm pretty stoked with that haha

For reference, in my half I spent 1:32 in zone 4 and 16 minutes in zone 3. Less than a minute in zones 1 and 2, and I never hit zone 5 at all. Wouldn't expect to on a half as I don't get to 'I'm going to puke' speeds.

Interesting. I never feel like im going to puke, and my HR is apparently in zone 5 a lot. So clearly I'm not set up properly haha. So going to continue to ignore it. Also to see the zones, I have to look at the activity on my watch, I can't find it in garmin connect. Odd.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Interesting. I never feel like im going to puke, and my HR is apparently in zone 5 a lot. So clearly I'm not set up properly haha. So going to continue to ignore it. Also to see the zones, I have to look at the activity on my watch, I can't find it in garmin connect. Odd.

In the Garmin Connect app, when you click on your run (the orange entry) from the main page, It opens a "page" and you can then swipe right to see other pages of stats, including splits, HR, etc.

You might as well change your zones. Enter your max heart rate that it reached from a very hard run, and set your user settings HR zones to use "% of max HR" for the zones. It's pretty easy to do.

It sounds like yours is calculating based on a very low max HR. 220 minus age is too low for most people who've been running a while and are older.

Thanks for the instructions to see the zones. I still can't see them, I just get graphs.

I will change the zones then, I'm doing a 5k speed run tomorrow so will go hard out for the last km, and should get probably around 185 I think as my maximum. Oh hang on, 220 minus my age is 185.... Maybe I'm just running harder than I should and don't realise it.

ETA for anyone interested this is my HR graph for my 20k run. The first 12k was undulating hills. The last 8 was mostly flat. My pace was pretty much the same for the whole run, around 6min/km
    l5tlzlva9x57.jpg
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    10/29-11/4 Totals: bike 21.4 km, run 26.2 km

11/5 - run 7.5k
    11/6 - bike 13.1k
    11/7 - run 4.2k
    11/8 -
    11/9 -
    11/10 -
    11/11 - 5k trail race fun

exercise.png
  • ContraryMaryMary
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Here’s something interesting @avidkeo, my max heatrate appears to be 171, based on Garmin data from sprint work. During the half it was at 161 for much of the run when I was going at 5:04 pace, yet yesterday, when I had a tired and sluggish run at 6:10ish pace, my heart rate got to 179.

Incidentally, my age is not 220-171, I’m not quite that old. Maybe I’m lazy and don’t push myself hard enough on sprints!!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary You have a Garmin that prescribes rest? That's it, I NEED a Garmin lol.
    @garygse :-D I so know what you mean, some random person who actually seems to run (as opposed to my shuffle) seems to possess my body when I race too. I'm just praying the random person has what it takes to keep going for 13.1 miles!

I missed the beginning of month question. What have I done for my tomorrow self? Pretty much changed her entirely since the beginning of 2017: I quit smoking, lost 28 kilos and started running. Not only has my body changed, my mindset has completely changed too. I went from a doormat people walked all over who spent most of her time in tears to some sort of confident person who takes no chit from anyone and goes for what she wants. Sadly for anyone who doesn't like me this means a) I'm probably going to be around for a lot longer than I would have been if I'd carried on living as I was, and b) I'm far more likely to argue with them :-)

7km run this morning, I still can't get over the fact that what just 3 months ago was a considerably long run (and also caused me shin splints the first couple of times I went that far!) is now just a run of the mill training run. It's cool enough here now in the mornings that my fingers actually felt numb for the first 20 minutes or so and I didn't even break into a sweat until kilometre 6. Should probably have taken a jacket out with me, but I hate having to carry stuff when I'm running and I already cart my phone and a bottle of water along with me. Was nice once I got into the sun though.

2/11: 7km
    4/11: 11km
    6/11: 7km
    November goal: 125km. Completed so far: 25km

@eleanorhawkins I feel like the last two years for us have been very similar. I two used to have low confidence, who had anxiety any time her boss wanted to talk to her. I had counselling at the beginning of 2017 and am now badass! I lost 20kg in 2017 and kept it off in 2018 - though I'd still like to lose another 5, I'm not stressed about it. I didn't have the smoking issue but am totally with you on the running. 5k is a short "stretch the legs" distance. I don't feel truly challenging until it's over 10k. Reading your posts I feel like your twin lol. Just on the opposite side of the world, literally haha

Triplets, @eleanorhawkins @Avidkeo ! Love reading your stories! I quit smoking cold turkey in 2015, lost 35 kg from 2017-2017 and started running, and everyone that knows me has noticed I'm much more confident and outgoing.

I've had counselling for anxiety too, and now I don't sit paralysed with anxieties, I'm out there getting chit done!

Anxiety is so cruel. Outside everyone thought I was this super confident person, but inside I freaked out at EVERYTHING. it came to head after the birth of my second child. Getting counselling was the best thing I ever did, cause now that outward confidence is inside as well. And I feel so good!

And well done both of you for quitting smoking, so hard!

@Orphia @Avidkeo Woohoo (not woo!) the family is growing!
    Quitting smoking and losing that weight were the toughest things I've ever done. They both made me hate the world. Running stops me doing anything about the fact that I still quite often hate the world ;-)
    It's also my substitute for counselling. I think I outrun my anxieties. My daughter (just 13) suffers badly with it, she had some counselling but it seemed to actually make her worse as she was focusing even more on it. I'm trying desperately to get her hooked on running but no luck so far.

2/11: 7km
    4/11: 11km
    6/11: 7km
    7/11: 5km
    November goal: 125km. Completed so far: 30km
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ha ha @Avidkeo - I just came here to post the same thing about the guy proposing at mile 16 of the girl's New York Marathon. Thing is - it was her FIRST marathon too!!

Not sure how I'd feel about it - she may have been so stoked that she forgot all the pain of the next ten miles. Or she just couldn't get back into it.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,997 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Hahaha. If there is an open pack of Oreo's anywhere around me, they don't last very long! They are my weakness.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    6.3 miles this morning. Got the run in right in between the rain, so humidity was 100%. But felt relaxed and comfortable.
    exercise.png
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    September Total Miles: 55.51 (50 mile goal)
    October Total Miles: 39.08 (65 mile goal)
    November Goal: 50 Miles

Nov. 1st - 6.73 miles - set a new pr for fastest 10k! 1:01, so close to getting it under one hour!
    Nov. 5th - 1.55 miles - Been feeling under the weather again after my first month.

Total: 8.28 miles
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 2.30 km
    11/2 - rest
    11/3 - 5.43 km officially, but forgot to start watch
    11/4 - rest
    11/5 - rest
    11/6 - 3.73 km

11.36/???
    Real goal: stop with the walk intervals, start rebuilding base without reinjuring me.

Last night's run was good. I met up with some neighbourhood folks and Gypsy the dog and we did a loop around the lake. It was *kitten* freezing outside. I think I got my layers mostly right though.
    My ankle hurts today but it got worked pretty aggressively by physio yesterday. So I'll tape up and call it good, and be nice to it tomorrow with a really short run.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race 1:30:16
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon) 3:12:something
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 4Kish 39:49
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 5Kish 1:02:11

2019:
    1/1/19 Resolution Run
    5/5/19 BMO Vancouver Marathon (Half)
    8/17/19 Edmonton Marathon