November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

That was a good read.

I've now been checking my run times / intensity minutes for the past whenever to see if I manage 9 hours a week already. :smile:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @garygse Bravo on your marathon PB!!

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

Say, you did this almost unfueled?

Do you believe in this "fat adaptation" stuff from the LCHF evangelists?

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I figure it's your PB, as even if you do a PB in an event, that doesn't compare to any other event, as they're all different and each one has different weather anyway, so how long is a piece of string?

You rock!

It seems to me you get better at longer distances and running on your fat reserves after glycogen is depleted by running longer distances, not so much by what you eat.

Yes, well done @garygse!!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    We escaped! The room only has a 40% survival rate, so we beat the odds!

Well done! I love escape rooms, especially when we can mange to get a team of 5 or 6 in there alone - more than that is too hard to coordinate. A group of friends and I are on a leaderboard at one of our local rooms because we managed to brute-force a puzzle and skip about a third of the room. I'm quite proud of that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @garygse... Wow. You are amazing. I'd love to see what you could do running ultras on trails.

@juliet3455 for me my cold spots are my triceps and wrists. I solved the wrist issue by wearing the fleece golf mitts I mentioned last year. I should try arm sleeves for my triceps. As tight as they fit it might keep the warmed air next to my skin better than a long sleeve shirt.

@MegaMooseEsq one trick for running in cold weather is to dress with an extra layer so you don't start out freezing, then run a mile out and back to get warmed up. Drop off the extra layer and continue on your merry way.

I'm not a LCHF fan boy but I do believe that greatly reducing sugars and other refined carbs are good ideas. MFP diary defaults to 50 percent as the recommended daily calories from carbs. I try to get between 25 to 35 percent carb calories.

Getting your body to burn a higher percentage fat for fuel is of great benefit for ultras. Considering the slower speeds required it's probably just marginally useful for marathons and of no use for half marathons or less.

68 more days until my next run.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Avidkeo 1 week? Yikes!!!!
    I'm sitting here in a stew cause the organisers of mine just emailed me an invitation to take part in the 5km breakfast run at 9am the day before. I'm not going to run for a couple of days before my half, according to Mr Hal Higdon. But they're taunting me with a free T-shirt....... I really need to hit delete before I end up clicking the sign up button and ruining all the well-laid plans.....
    pnjr5v8whklx.png

I volunteer to be the lone non-enabling vote here to "STICK TO YOUR PLAN!!!" :D

@eleanorhawkins Haha my plan has me running a gentle 5k the day before so I say do it hahaha. Though if you are running with others your competitive side might come out...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

Can you explain this cause I've never heard of it. Looks fun!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm sitting here in a stew cause the organisers of mine just emailed me an invitation to take part in the 5km breakfast run at 9am the day before. I'm not going to run for a couple of days before my half, according to Mr Hal Higdon. But they're taunting me with a free T-shirt....... I really need to hit delete before I end up clicking the sign up button and ruining all the well-laid plans.....
    pnjr5v8whklx.png

@eleanorhawkins Haha my plan has me running a gentle 5k the day before so I say do it hahaha. Though if you are running with others your competitive side might come out...

It depends on your training level. If you aren't accustomed to regularly running half marathon distance, I personally don't think it makes sense to run a 5k the day before, unless you're sure you can force yourself to run it very slowly while everyone around you is racing and you know you can go much faster.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Can you explain this cause I've never heard of it. Looks fun!

Sure! It is just like the "Escape Room Games" you play the computer save in real life! So the general concept is you and your team are locked in a room (or a set of rooms). In that room is everything you need to escape, and you have 1 hour to get out. In order to get the things you need to get out, you have to solve puzzles, disarm traps, solve riddles, and that kind of thing. It is great for a mixed group of abilities like our group.

For example in my team in the picture, you have a Geologist, a stay-at-home mom, an ultra runner, an obstacle course runner, a retired marine, a computer geek, and so on. In most events, we are at many different levels so normally we could not do competitions as a team, but in this kind of thing, the large variety is a big benefit. For example, there was a sliding block puzzle which my wife just rocked, and the geologist was able to memorize a complex light pattern on the first try.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @bubblegum2fitness if you have an old pair of shoes, you can make screw shoes for like a couple dollars at most. Maybe free if you are the kind of person that has a box of random screws around. Here is how:

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @Scott6255, @katharmonic, @Tramboman, @workaholic_nurse, @Orphia, @PastorVincent Thanks guys for the kind words! :blush:

Orphia wrote: »

You rock!

First, I've always believed in balanced diets, so no "high this, low that" or restrictive diets...just sensible portions of foods that for the most part deliver most of the required nutrients (that's not to say that I think these diets don't work...they're just not for me). So in that respect, I don't read up on any kind of diet, and had to look up fat adaptation. I can't say I'm sold on it...especially when the site I read contained lines like "this basic physiology appears to be lost on most doctors and dieticians [sic] worldwide" which just stinks of woo science if you ask me.

Personally, I think your last line is spot on.

edit: missed a name!

It is not "woo" science (as someone up thread said), look at people like @JessicaMcB who do it exclusively. The thing is though humans are a very biologically diverse species, far more than we give credit for, so not all things work as well for all people.

In general, each person needs to learn their body and work with it for best results.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    pnjr5v8whklx.png

It depends on your training level. If you aren't accustomed to regularly running half marathon distance, I personally don't think it makes sense to run a 5k the day before, unless you're sure you can force yourself to run it very slowly while everyone around you is racing and you know you can go much faster.

It also depends on your goals. The BAA 5K sits out there, 2 days before the Boston Marathon. I looked at some of the past results, and if I ran a good 5K I'd have a chance of winning my age group. This is a race that will have 10,000 runners and attract some of the best runners worldwide. I already know that, at the national level, I should finish in the 6th to 14th place of my age group if the real competition shows up, and the winner will beat my PR by a substantial amount. So what's going on?

It's not hard to figure out. The really good runners in my age group are all running the marathon on Monday, and they're not going to mess up their marathon by running a hard 5K on Saturday. Even at the level of world class, someone who is running both will choose one or the other to be the race that gets the focus and the push for results.

Granted, I've played with the idea of running the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach the day after running the 8K; but there is no doubt that the 8K would be the serious race, and the half would have to be just for fun. There aren't many people who can run 2 races back to back and perform at optimum level in both races.

I am running a 5k the day before the Pittsburgh Marathon. I did that last year and ran a PB in the Marathon BUT I ran at something like an 11 min mile in the 5k, when my 5k pace is more like 7 and change. If I had tried to PB the 5k, I am happy to assume it would have hurt my chances at a PB in the marathon.

Anyone that has been around this thread for a while will tell you that I sometimes run three races in a single day. When I do that I do try to PB all three races, but it is normally like two 5ks and a 10k or something. Something like a marathon though is a different ball game entirely.

So, yeah in the case of @eleanorhawkins I would say if she could run the 5k at whatever for her was an easy slow run pace, then she should do it and get the shirt. If she is too competitive of a personality to pull that off then she should run that day alone -but IMO she should run at least a little bit.