November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't use any specific plan. But I walk in every run over 3 miles. After 3 miles, I run a mile, walk 1 minute and repeat. I find that I am faster that way than if I run continuously.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    OK so people keep talking about keeping their heart rate under control, and in proper zones etc. Should I be worried? pretty much every run I do my HR is about 50% in zone 5, then about 40% zone 4 and the rest spread over the last 3 zones. I never looked because I don't care. Just looking at my 20k run I was the above. though sometime I'm more in zone 4 than 5. my max is around 175-180 with my average closer to 165 (slowly coming down) and again I don't actually care. should I?

I'm kinda of the opinion of hey its working for me, don't let it worry you... oh my VO2 max is 44. went briefly up to 45 but am now a steady 44. I'm pretty stoked with that haha

I totally wouldn’t be worried. For one thing, there’s a pretty good chance that whatever you’re using to measure your zones isn’t accurate - I get the sense that most wearable devices can help judge relative effort but you need to do a lot more personalizing for the zones to be accurate to you. There does seem to be good data about the training benefits of paying attention to your heart rate, but I’m also in camp “what I’m doing right now is working fine for me for right now”.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Some cool stuff here! I've been working on documenting the Dennis run on Strava... Since I was time-zone shifting it anyway, I moved @juliet3455 ahead a day while I was at it. Then I realized... both @shanaber and @rheddmobile did their runs early, on Saturday, but their runs lined up with each other and @Orphia's start - so I believe the relay actually started at 1730 instead of 2000 GMT :) and went until 2300 the next day!

I made manual entries for those I didn't have Strava runs for, but if someone else has a gpx file or run on Strava, feel free to send it my way. You can add "Miles for Dennis" on Strava, then tag him in your run that you dedicated to him. NOTE: You can do this for the marathons you're dedicating to him later as well. If I entered your run manually, don't be offended if it takes up your entire signed-up slot - I had distances for most of you, but not the time you spent running, so just entered what you were signed up for. The only 2 people I couldn't find run info on in the threads were @ctlaws44 and @rusgolden - did either of you run during the relay?

Question: what apps do you use to visualize this sort of thing? I have a list of activities on Strava now, all in the same time zone (whew!); some have maps, others don't. Ideas???

This was Oct 14-15, correct? I ran 8 mi on Sat 13th @ 7a CT but developed some hip/glute pain and with a race coming up on the 20th, I gave it some extra rest.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting interview with Jeff Galloway since we’re talking about run/walk.

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a22997370/jeff-galloway-interview/