What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Dead hangs, handstand wall holds, handstand pushups, pull-ups, yoga, Arnold press, hip huggers and side lateral raises...
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Ran 1 mile of hills, walked 2.5 miles
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    An hour and 15 min a quad. Sooner rather than later it will get around to all of the coaches that I carry all of my tension and anxiety in my shoulders. So far of the six coaches who regularly coach men's and women's sweep teams as well as the sculling teams and teaching learn to scull, four of them have told me to relax my shoulders over the course of the last 6 or 7 months :D Once I start in sculling development "team" that'll inch its way up to 5.

Really the goal is to get me used to small boats so I can build up my confidence. Thankfully my primary coach, who is also the head of the club, and I are on the same page with regards to this. It was the exact same thing in the 4, but I felt less confident in that then I did in the double on Saturday.

In better news, while I was very tired this morning when I woke up at 4:30, I seem to be fairing fine energy wise despite yesterday's shenanigans.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Drinking skim latte while cursing the cold rain that wasn't in the forecast, but that persuaded my comfort-loving self not to row. ;)
    aokoye wrote: »
    An hour and 15 min a quad. Sooner rather than later it will get around to all of the coaches that I carry all of my tension and anxiety in my shoulders. So far of the six coaches who regularly coach men's and women's sweep teams as well as the sculling teams and teaching learn to scull, four of them have told me to relax my shoulders over the course of the last 6 or 7 months :D Once I start in sculling development "team" that'll inch its way up to 5.

Really the goal is to get me used to small boats so I can build up my confidence. Thankfully my primary coach, who is also the head of the club, and I are on the same page with regards to this. It was the exact same thing in the 4, but I felt less confident in that then I did in the double on Saturday.

In better news, while I was very tired this morning when I woke up at 4:30, I seem to be fairing fine energy wise despite yesterday's shenanigans.

Want to feel luxiously comfortable in a four? Try rowing a pair. (LOLLOLLOL!)

Sympathies on the shoulder thing: Struggled with that for years. Now it's not so bad; if I knew why (other than working at it), I'd share.

I think I love the upper body exertion feeling too much, so let it fire too early, maybe; so focusing on leg drive duration helped. Also, intentional lat engagement off the catch, at low ratings.

Also seems like improvement cooincided with hand relaxation, but I'm not sure there was a direct relationship. (I always tended to grip the handles so hard that - as one of my coaches put it - oar juice practially squirted out the end. A Craftsbury coach got me to drill with literally extending the fingers on the recovery, just carrying the handle with friction and thumb-web, then re-curling fingers to grip just before the catch. Sounds scary, but it wasn't as much so as I expected, and it really helped with the grip thing.) YMMV.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    So far, 20 minutes of cardio. I'm bummed. I've been in a calorie deficit several days. The 3-day weekend I voluntarily over-carbed and stayed in a calorie deficit, while Monday I resumed low-carb keto and continued calorie deficit. I've logged a minimum 1 lb gain every day Sunday to today.

I'm not asking for advice. I'm pushing through the bumness. (bumness isn't redlined as misspelled, but I don't have certainty what it means)
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 346 Member
    40 minute strength conditioning class, 45 minute spin class, and 55 minutes weights (upper body) (machine circuit). Will do crunches later tonight.
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Drinking skim latte while cursing the cold rain that wasn't in the forecast, but that persuaded my comfort-loving self not to row. ;)
    aokoye wrote: »

Want to feel luxiously comfortable in a four? Try rowing a pair. (LOLLOLLOL!)

Sympathies on the shoulder thing: Struggled with that for years. Now it's not so bad; if I knew why (other than working at it), I'd share.

I think I love the upper body exertion feeling too much, so let it fire too early, maybe; so focusing on leg drive duration helped. Also, intentional lat engagement off the catch, at low ratings.

Also seems like improvement cooincided with hand relaxation, but I'm not sure there was a direct relationship. (I always tended to grip the handles so hard that - as one of my coaches put it - oar juice practially squirted out the end. A Craftsbury coach got me to drill with literally extending the fingers on the recovery, just carrying the handle with friction and thumb-web, then re-curling fingers to grip just before the catch. Sounds scary, but it wasn't as much so as I expected, and it really helped with the grip thing.) YMMV.

Yeah it was funny because on Saturday's practice before lineups were announced but after I personally was told I'd be in a double with another person I'm taking learn to scull with, I went over to the other person and was like, "so we're going to be in a double together today." and he was like, "wait, you mean a pair" to which I said, "NO!" (he's looking forward to, "pair weather").

For me I think it really is just confidence and getting used to how everything feels and such. Both the mechanics but more so boat feel. Thankfully my main coach is very confident and I just confirmed with him over email that he and I are on the same page in terms, "I just need to be in a double a lot" and with people who are experienced scullers (that last part will have to wait until after regionals). One thing that I do find that helps is reminding myself to breath. It's not an issue of making sure I'm holding my breath (I've never had that issue), but rather with really paying attention to it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @ Aokoye - Congrats on the progression! I'm green with envy, though I thoroughly enjoy, hearing about your OTW progress! Thanks, too, on the question about the doc appt. He basically said resume activities on the rower when I feel up to it and "push a little". Love having a doc on the same page as me. On a NSV note, my BP was 95 over 50 and the RHR was 54. The Phys Asst kept asking me if I was lightheaded or feeling like I was going to pass out. Then the doc came in, laughed, and assured her that my BP was normal for a highly trained endurance athlete. Don't know if that truly applies, but it felt good hearing that. The once morbidly obese guy has a BP that made the Med Asst wonder if I was passing out because it was so low!! I guess 12 years of harder cardio training has done something for me! He felt like I was fighting off a bug, virus or similar. Might have even been the infamous "Valley Fever" in AZ (which is just an internal fungal infection that healthy people fight off in a few weeks). He said basically with the rate I'm feeling better, just work back into it and I should be fine in a week or so.

Structurally, the back is good with just a bit of arthritis. Might be a bit of a herniated disc but he said that X-Rays won't show that unless it's very bad and mine isn't. Probably, the pain was exagerrated, as the case usually is, when you're fighting off things. Joints, especially compromised ones, always feel worse when you're sick than they truly are.

Today was 55 minutes on the AD Pro again. 6 out of 10 on a scale of difficulty. Still off my easy paces a bit on the bike, so I know I'm not quite feeling 100%, but much, much better than last week.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Biked 14 miles in 52 minutes (while watching the food channel...that was a mistake haha)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    5/29/2019 at park -

Weighted alternating pull-ups and chin-ups with added 20kg KB x 3 reps every 3:00 for 10 sets - feeling strong today so next time may bump to 24kg KB added weight and then drop back to 20kg KB added weight dropping time interval from 3:00 to 2:45.

Rdella Power 5 KB complex with 20 kg KB - 3 rounds in 10:41. Planned on 5 rounds but threw in towel after 3 rounds, second time I’ve done this.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    4 mile walk with my pooch.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    2 x 10 Reps Squats
    10 Miles Crosstrain
    2 x 10 Reps Squats

Biking:
    300 in 30: Day 29
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    010|300 Miles - 31:53
    020|300 Miles - 29:19
    030|300 Miles - 29:45
    040|300 Miles - 30:40
    050|300 Miles - 31:12
    060|300 Miles - 30:59
    070|300 Miles - 29:33
    080|300 Miles - 30:34
    090|300 Miles - 29:52
    100|300 Miles - 34:00
    110|300 Miles - 31:53
    120|300 Miles - 30:28
    ----Birthday Break----
    130|300 Miles - 30:36
    140|300 Miles - 32:10
    150|300 Miles - 30:30
    160|300 Miles - 31:47
    170|300 Miles - 29:12
    180|300 Miles - 30:35
    190|300 Miles - 32:38
    200|300 Miles - 30:55
    210|300 Miles - 30:24
    220|300 Miles - 30:53
    230|300 Miles - 31:57
    240|300 Miles - 29:29
    250|300 Miles - 29:54
    260|300 Miles - 28:50
    270|300 Miles - 29:29
    280|300 Miles - 28:57

Biking on crosstrain. Biked blind. The worst thing when doing that is riding hard thinking you're at the end, only to find out your suspicions of being a whole section behind was correct, and you have 3 more miles left to do.

Anywho, 2 more days left in my personal challenge. I think I've done well at this. Most of my times come in at that 3-3:15 minute mile average I try and keep myself to, with 30:39 being my overall average 10 mile set.

Good luck to everyone else! :smile:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    5 mile walk in 100 minutes
    4 x 30 sec modified planks
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Tuesday

6am Sprint session with PT, as well as actual sprints we worked on my turning during suicide runs, still not I've actually got it

5mile mixed terrain (mostly trail) run, supposed to have been 7, but I got lost and by the time I got back to somewhere familiar adding the planned loop would have meant doing 10. Forgot how much harder and slower trail is, but still happy with my time and if I keep that pace up I'll smash my time for the trail 10k at the end of the month.

Strength training, bench and squats. This is my first cycle and week back doing 5/3/1 so everything felt stupidly light, but I know it'll ramp up in the next few months. A;so did 5x10 bench at highest warm up weight and 3x10 straight legged kettlebell deadlift, standing on steps to get full range of motion and concentrating on form.#

Zumba
  • aokoye
    @ Aokoye - Congrats on the progression! I'm green with envy, though I thoroughly enjoy, hearing about your OTW progress! Thanks, too, on the question about the doc appt. He basically said resume activities on the rower when I feel up to it and "push a little". Love having a doc on the same page as me. On a NSV note, my BP was 95 over 50 and the RHR was 54. The Phys Asst kept asking me if I was lightheaded or feeling like I was going to pass out. Then the doc came in, laughed, and assured her that my BP was normal for a highly trained endurance athlete. Don't know if that truly applies, but it felt good hearing that. The once morbidly obese guy has a BP that made the Med Asst wonder if I was passing out because it was so low!! I guess 12 years of harder cardio training has done something for me! He felt like I was fighting off a bug, virus or similar. Might have even been the infamous "Valley Fever" in AZ (which is just an internal fungal infection that healthy people fight off in a few weeks). He said basically with the rate I'm feeling better, just work back into it and I should be fine in a week or so.

Structurally, the back is good with just a bit of arthritis. Might be a bit of a herniated disc but he said that X-Rays won't show that unless it's very bad and mine isn't. Probably, the pain was exagerrated, as the case usually is, when you're fighting off things. Joints, especially compromised ones, always feel worse when you're sick than they truly are.

Today was 55 minutes on the AD Pro again. 6 out of 10 on a scale of difficulty. Still off my easy paces a bit on the bike, so I know I'm not quite feeling 100%, but much, much better than last week.

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my weekly progress reports of sorts. Hopefully you'll be able to learn how to row on the water some day.
    I'm glad you're appointment went well. And yes, I'm pretty sure your doctor was right about the RHR thing. I'm also all about doctors who are on the same page and will work with you to reach your goals and even potentially push you a bit further. I got very lucky with my ortho and PT in that regard, though my GP is somewhat oblivious. He's very easy to worry in general though (which is just funny at this point, in a dark humor sort of way). He is, however, great for other health related needs that I have.

Workout part 2 - had planned earlier this week to do a TR workout, but my neighbors' daughter is visiting and she asked me if wanted to go on a hike sometime this week. We went on a twoish hour hike (that involve 840ish feet of elevation gain), got Thai food for dinner (and had mango sticky rice for dessert), and then went on an hour, maybe 45 min, walk after dinner to try to shake off our shared food coma. 20k steps give or take when all was said and done. I love having a 5,000+ acre forest on the edge of the city, 15 minutes away from my university by car.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Last night- 80 minute Krav Maga class/stripe test. Lots of drills designed to stress and exhaust. Intense and very fun.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Dead hangs, handstand wall holds, handstand pushups, pull-ups, yoga and press handstand core strength work.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Thursday

PT- 10min cardio, followed by
    100 rows
    100 squats
    100 press ups (last 15 on toes)
    100 sit ups

1 mile run to keep streak going

Circuits - very hard work and very sweaty
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    5.29 miles walked mowing lawn and doing various yard chores w/ drive assists off.

Going to enjoy half price wings out for dinner, and then back home to do my biking later on.