Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    4,500m...in a single!?! The coach who made the lineups didn't realize that I'd never been in a single but it went well. I wasn't even in the most stable of our singles. I stayed dry (didn't flip) though eyes were on me at more or less all times.

For AnnPT - I got both blades off of the water all of maybe once and after getting more comfortable I was able to take most of my strokes at 3/4 slide. My new one year goal is to race in the men's novice 1x at regionals next year.

Yay: Great accomplishment! (I knew you could. ;) ).

Are you still a novice next year at regionals? I thought it was first year of rowing, not first of sculling or of a particular boat . . . but I admit I haven't cared about that rule in quite a few years.

Shortened stroke is definitely the thing to watch out for, moving from bigger boats, even from a rec/tubby single to a racing or even intermediate single. I've seen too many people want to be in the "big kid" boats too soon, shorten their stroke, groove that into muscle memory, and have a heckuva time getting the length back in the long run. Be careful, eh?
    Thanks! I got lots of congratulations today :)

Masters are novices for their first two years of rowing according to USRowing, so I'd be a second year novice. That crew who beat my novice 4+ last weekend? We're pretty sure they're second year novices. I personally think it's a weird rule, but I suppose they're assuming that adults don't practice 5+ days a week like a lot of juniors do, which is a fair assumption. Of course now that I've written that, I just realized that I'm in my first week of my new schedule of rowing which is..5 days a week ;) .

I definitely would have much prefered to be in a rec single today as opposed to the intermediate one that I was in, but on the upside, it was the right weight class for me (the rec single was being used by someone else who is a bit timid in singles as well). I'm glad that I'm being pushed to gain confidence in a single though. It lets me be more flexible in terms of what boats I can be confidently put in, will be an asset when I eventually move for grad school and will have to find a new club (part of why I wanted to learn to scull to begin with), and it should help clean up my technique in bigger boats. It will also force me to become much more comfortable at bowing - lol. The weekend sculling coaches for development sculling will also call you out on your technique so I'm not super worried about baking in too many bad habits on that front.

edit: oh also I managed a river turn towards the very end when I was getting ready to dock!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am upping my weight training lately now that I have lost more weight and am feeling better. Today I did back and chest after a 35 minute walk on the treadmill. Bench press, rows, two chest machines, three back machines, pull downs, calf raises, and leg lifts where I also lift my glutes off the ground (hits abs pretty well). Then I stretched at home. I did 6 shoulder exercises yesterday and 4 leg machines. Sometimes I do all kinds of standing leg raises in between sets when I weight train. I have a bad ankle, so they keep it strong and I can work on balance, toning, and active rest between sets. I am resting for the next two days and will do biceps and triceps Wednesday. Tomorrow my rest includes an 11 mile bike ride and stretching. Tuesday will be a 3 mile walk and more stretching. I am trying for weight training 3 times a week. I need to add more lower body strength training, but I hate squats and lunges and usually only do them if they are part of a class I am taking.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Friday: 6 mile run
    Saturday: rest (ish. On my feet all day for a work event)
    Today: swam 60 min / 2750 yards
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    60 minutes riding bicycle. 30 minutes walking said bicycle up monster hills. Rode fast motorcycle up (and down) the mountain. Light day for this old man.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    6/30/2019 - evening at park - walk 1 hour and 3.77 miles.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    1 hour and 40 minutes at the gym yesterday. The new HRM helped tremendously. Kept my HR around 130ish the entire time, so it was a true "long slow day". Burned around 1200 calories. All cardio -- rowing, stairmaster, stationary bike and hand bike.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Friday - 3+ mile walk, hills
    Saturday + Sunday - swimming <3
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    AM
    Handstand Pushup - Grease The Groove (On a Yoga Block)
    5 x 3 (15)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (15R Max) Day 11/30
    16-14-12-10-8 (60)
    Yoga
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 10 Rounds
    Meditate

• pierinifitness
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    AM
    5 x 3 (15)
    16-14-12-10-8 (60)
    Yoga
    Meditate

Good job hanging in there with the pull-ups program.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    AM
    5 x 3 (15)
    16-14-12-10-8 (60)
    Yoga
    Meditate

Good job hanging in there with the pull-ups program.

Thank you @pierinifitness

I am still pleasantly surprised that no soreness has set in.
    The sets are getting tough but still no soreness to speak of...
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Splitting and stacking firewood this morning.

Going to take the dogs into town for the Canada day fireworks on the waterfront later. Probably walk around whitefish island beforehand until it gets dark.
  • showjefb
    showjefb Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    3 mile dog walk/run followed by 100 KB swings and 100 pushups
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    I think I set a new walking distance record yesterday! 11.24 miles according to mapmywalk!

Awesome, congratulations. Were you able to go the distance without a potty break?
  • pierinifitness
    Options
    showjefb wrote: »
    3 mile dog walk/run followed by 100 KB swings and 100 pushups

Great job. Did you do the KB swings and pushups superset-style or each on their own?
  • bigdaddylovesbabymomma
    Options
    Leg Day:
    *100 fast reps of 45* leg presses to engorge the legs/glutes with blood
    *100 fast rep squats with 45s on smith machine
    *100 fast reps dead lifts with 45s on smith machine
    *100 fast reps 45* leg press narrow stance with 45s
    *100 fast rep hip flexion
    *100 fast rep seated calf raises with 45 dumbells ea
    * rep to failure 45* leg press
    * 15 min eliptical trainer
    * 30 min aqua jet bed to work put the buildup of lactic acid in large muscle groups.
    * Tears as I sit on the toilet as I post this, lmao
    But seriously, I am seeing bigger gains in girth going lighter/more reps and perfect form than when I was lifting heavy. Proof for me is how long the muscles stay engorged with blood. Work on my legs every third day so they get plenty of recovery time. I aproach the other body parts the same way. Got my wife doing the same thing and her gains are phenomenal. You can see so much definition/separation/ vascular definition in her legs. She is attacking her arms and back the same way.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    ~8,500m in a very novice 8 this morning. The water was lovely, the set was non-existent for the most part. All but two of the people in my boat had just come out of learn to row 2 so it was very interesting. Lots of deep breathing on my part.
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Pilates...and it's been WAY too long.
  • rossbaker2_sc
    rossbaker2_sc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    10 box jumps
    10 kettlebell swings
    10 push-ups
    10 sit-ups
    Repeat x4