Calorie Counter

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• drmwcdrmwc Member, Premium Posts: 452 Member Member, Premium Posts: 452 Member
    I did an hour's yoga just after breakfast. Then, after lunch, I did a 10 mile walk.

Finally, in the evening, I did a quick climb. This was deliberately less structured than the previous day - it was supposed to be active recovery rather than full on intensity. Naturally, I got bored of climbing easy, and ended doing some silly max effort stuff towards the end. I concentrated on using the lower quality holds more than I normally do. This was quite short - just 80 minutes or so in total.
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 1,974 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,974 Member
    I've not been posting as I went off schedule. I'm still moving about just not on a program for now. It's too rigid (although effective) and my brain needs flexibility right now.

Today's morning workout: 90 min of running, squatting, push-upping, tricep dipping and stair climbing about my neighborhood like a mad woman.

If it cools down before dark, I may go out again but focus on lower body resistance sans cardio 💁🏿‍♀️
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,651 Member Member Posts: 1,651 Member
    Another 30 minutes on the LateralX and 30 on the Assault Bike. All pretty easy stuff. I've resigned myself to the fact that I likely won't row much until the wildfires are completely out. It's been extremely smoky outside and not worth it to row. Couldn't even swim this weekend the smoke was so bad.

Shouldn't complain but the wildfires are burning up pretty much the entire Santa Catalina's, a national treasure and one that we cherish in Tucson. The pines won't likely recover in my lifetime. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I think it is when all said and done but I'm not real optimistic. Good news is no lives or homes have been lost but the alpine pine trees and saguaros (that can live 100 years) have been decimated. You'd have to live here to understand, but we get super hot in the Summers -- like 103 to 107. But you always knew you could drive up the mountain for an hour and it would be 70 degrees and you'd feel like you're in Colorado, not the Sonoran Desert. Much of that slice of heaven is gone, so it's been a bit depressing for us all here. 1000 firefighters now working on it -- really at this point not to put it out but to let it burn itself out or control it away from structures until we get rain in mid to late July.
    edited June 22
  • pfprimopfprimo Member Posts: 90 Member Member Posts: 90 Member
    Longer than average run on a very warm central Florida morning. sebbmg0ezw01.jpg
  • yirarayirara Member Posts: 5,312 Member Member Posts: 5,312 Member
    Finally did a proper full body strength session again, basically the Reddit RR. It wasn't pretty, but it was a lot of fun. In the evening my arms and backs started to hurt (trying to do negative pull-ups without having the muscles for it is tough on your arms) and so I did another hour of my foam rolling, massaging, yoga and stretching routine. This time without proper splits attempts because my legs need the break after the earlier workout.
  • JimDewJimDew Member Posts: 959 Member Member Posts: 959 Member
    xy7y8kd9vkm6.png

Got caught in some spotty rain. :)
  • lightenup2016lightenup2016 Member, Premium Posts: 1,048 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,048 Member
    Ran 4 miles in the southern heat and humidity. When will I get used to it??
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 636 Member Member Posts: 636 Member
    Upper on PHUL and a very quick upper/core circuit. And 13K steps ;) I am tired but good to get back in routine :)
  • Hanibanani2020Hanibanani2020 Member Posts: 523 Member Member Posts: 523 Member
    Feeling better today so went to the gym and did some steady running (only 2k) some bike for warmup then did pull/press ups, lat pull downs, and some other arm/back/lat weight stuff. Then yoga to cool down. It was fun. Spent two hours there and didn’t even realise. Good to be back.
  • kmccromkmccrom Member Posts: 41 Member Member Posts: 41 Member
    In the morning I did Yoga with Adriene... she is amazing. Then I did a trampoline workout. After getting some work done at my computer, I took a long walk. Closed all three rings on my Apple Watch.
  • miriams76miriams76 Member Posts: 134 Member Member Posts: 134 Member
    It was good. I did Jillian Michaels Body Revolution Workout 8 and her Killer Abs Workout 3. I was sweating buckets with the last one. I’ve been vlogging my Body Revolution workouts this time on Youtube under FitbyFortyFour to keep myself accountable.
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,651 Member Member Posts: 1,651 Member
    Managed to do a fairly hard interval workout with 10 two minute hard reps -- first half on the LateralX and the other half on the Assault Bike. Then did pushups (around 40/10/then 15 or so from my knees because I couldn't do any more from my feet) and pressups till failure for two more two minute intervals as hard as I could go.
  • drmwcdrmwc Member, Premium Posts: 452 Member Member, Premium Posts: 452 Member
    Mike - are the fires improving?

I hangboarded yesterday. It was really hot during the day, which I tend not to cope too well with. I was quite sedentary until about 9 p.m. Then I went for a walk - it was nice and cool by then. I hangboarded when I got back, at about 10.30.

It wasn't a great session. I struggled with pretty much everything. On my smallest hold (12mm) I only managed about 4 second - my best is over 10

These things happen - strength gain is a non- linear process. Today is a new day, and I should have time for a climb.

Horton Park just after sunset:
    wsckw2er12se.jpg
    edited June 24
    @drmwc - Matt, your climbing wall is fantastic. Looks like you've been getting a ton of use out of it!

As for the wildfires, I wish it would rain. They are more smoldering in our area down the mountain now. The mountain ridge closest to us is around 7,000 ft. It is slowly burning down the mountain, inching closer to the community next to us -- Saddlebrooke, which is a lovely 55 and over community that we frequent. There are now 1000 firefighters from all over the US engaging the fire now, but most of what they can do without rain is just keep it from structures and direct it. The Santa Catalina mountain range is fairly large. It has burned up nearly 50% of it in the last month. Decimated 200/300 year old alpine forests and killed 100 year old Saguaros.

The topography here is fascinating. It's the Sonoran Desert low (called the lushest desert in the world) and then it's like Colorado on top of the mountain -- alpine trees and much cooler. We are all kind of depressed because that Colorado like mountain will be changed for our lifetimes. Very sad. It's still beautiful and nature tends to recover, but it's just another warning sign we're slowly killing our planet. Rain usually starts here in the next two to three weeks. We have a slight chance of rain early next week, so fingers crossed. The fires rage up top but slow as it descends into the desert. The good news is no structures have been burned and no lives have been lost, though 4 or so firefighters have had heat issues -- 110 F is the high today.

I do recruiting with startups, many cleantech/sustainable related. There are at least five companies that are using drones, machine learning, geology and robotics to replant forests rapidly. I'm not a huge fan of drones, but this is one great thing they are being used for, so I'm optimistic we can reverse things.

Today, just did 30 minutes on the LateralX and 30 on the AD Pro -- pretty light stuff after yesterday's hard intervals. I've just resigned myself to not rowing until the smoke clears out and that could be weeks from now.
  • pfprimopfprimo Member Posts: 90 Member Member Posts: 90 Member
    Morning bike ride into the country.73ke7q6k4z25.jpg
    Rest day. Yesterday I only did massaging/yoga/stretching for an hour.
    The day before I did a proper bodyweight routine for the first time again, and executed ab wheels rather poorly - with the result that my muscles just below/around the tip of the sternum hurt badly. Sneezing is still very unpleasant. Trying a pull up is not a good idea. Maybe I'll be able to work out again tomorrow. A rest day is nice.
  • JimDewJimDew Member Posts: 959 Member Member Posts: 959 Member
    9p7y9kc4s0dz.png

Good run!
    My 40 or so minute bodyweight strength routine (doing Reddit RR) at lunch. Then just now I spent about 75 minutes stretching, massaging and working on my front splits. I briefly managed to touch a very lovely bottle of gin with a diameter of 8cm :D (trying to find things to sit on)
    Did a harder 5 X 5 session today (five minutes cardio hard with 3 minute active recoveries X 5). First 3 on the LateralX (set at highest resistance of 10 with lateral distance at 6 out of 10 -- any more my knees hurt a bit). Then did the last two on the AD Pro (Assault Bike). Finished up with a one minute set up pushups till failure - 35/10/then 3 from my knees and just couldn't do another, overhead presses till failure (35 lbs, only got like 35 of them in a minute) and light squats (40 lbs) -- around 40 or so for one minute. Around 850 calories in a little under an hour.

The bike reps were around 250 to 260 Watts, which is decent.

Oh, and I took a rare off day yesterday. Finally put the headaches together were strongly correlating to the time I spent outside. Must be the combination of smoke or the fire retardent burning off that was causing my headaches. Wife and I went to an outdoor concert on Wed night and I had a bad headache again yesterday. They are supposed to be done backburning near my neighborhood today and claiming it will get much less smoky by the weekend. I hope so, been super bad recently. I'd like to get back on the deck and row next week.
    edited June 26