What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I lifted, doing a 3 mile walk, some jump rope, and 3 sets of 5, dips as my slightly eccentric warm up.

I then over head pressed, doing 3 sets of 7 @ 30kgs.
    I then benched, getting 3 sets of 5 @ 50 kgs.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength
    Dip - 1-2-3-1-2-1r x2 @25lbs (20r)
    Pull-up - 1-2-3-1-2-1r x2 @25lbs (20r)
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Morning bootcamp - need to do some stretching/yoga but get lazy by the evening.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    4 mile walk
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,287 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    7k-ish row in bow of the double, 5.25 mile walk at 3.3mph average.

No outdoor exercise machine circuit at the park today, because (1) there was a very obvious thunderstorm rolling in, and soon; and (2) I had lunch at around the midpoint of the walk with food, latte, and a lovely blood orange wheat beer (not my usual style, but very refreshing), and that didn't seem like the best fueling strategy for strength exercise, even though it doesn't seem quite as bad for half a walk. 😆

ETA: I'm expecting to take (sigh) at least a week break from any kind of meaningful exercise, because of outpatient eye surgery tomorrow. No exertion for a week, maybe more. Don't know how soon I'll be allowed longer walks. The hope is that the 20/150 (or worse) vision in that eye will materially improve. If so, it'll be worth it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 -- good luck with your procedure. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery!

Today, after yesterday's hard row and last night's lift, I was feeling it. Did 8K on the rower at a slower recovery pace. The HR still drifted up, despite my best intentions. Just showed me that I was tired, which I knew already.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    4.25 mile walk to the store and back (carrying groceries on the way back). Needed a break from bike riding and figured this would be good for a change.

Did 67 miles on the bike over the last 4 days, limited somewhat by eating pavement at the end of my Sunday ride.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Wishing speedy recovery to those on the mend here!

Shortened swim today due to thunder causing the outdoor pool to close. Squeezed in 1900 yds before the whistle blew. The indoor pool was full of kids taking swimming lessons, so no go there.

Local sprint tri tomorrow night will be steamy and fun. Forecast is for temps around 95 and high humidity. We swim first, so at least I'll be wet when I start out on the bike. The run will be less pleasant.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,287 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Shortened swim today due to thunder causing the outdoor pool to close. Squeezed in 1900 yds before the whistle blew. The indoor pool was full of kids taking swimming lessons, so no go there.

Local sprint tri tomorrow night will be steamy and fun. Forecast is for temps around 95 and high humidity. We swim first, so at least I'll be wet when I start out on the bike. The run will be less pleasant.

Best wishes for a positive outcome tomorrow, @Djproulx!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks, @Ann, this race is always a lot of fun!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thanks, @Ann, this race is always a lot of fun!

Good luck! With your volume of training, a sprint tri would be fun!
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Lead the morning bootcamp - was a HI workout... Evening badminton day!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength: Press/Squat
    HSPU - 4-3-2-2-1r (12r)
    Squat - 3x15r (45r)
    Jump Squat - 1x15r (15r)
    Jump Lunge - 1x16r (16r)
    Cossack Squat - 1x10r (10r)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Back out on the bike this morning, 16.6 miles at 13.2 mph average. Need to find someplace in the day to add some strength training... just haven't done it yet.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited August 2021
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Back out on the bike this morning, 16.6 miles at 13.2 mph average. Need to find someplace in the day to add some strength training... just haven't done it yet.

When I seemed like I couldn't find time to do strength training, I just broke it down and did it during the day. I have a desk job that is, quite frankly, pretty boring at times. I own a small "headhunting"/recruiting firm. I recruit high level execs all day. Sounds a LOT more sexy and exciting than it is in reality. It's essentially emails, Linkedin notes, writing ads, talking to clients, closing deals and some phone calls.

I bought a cheaper adjustable dumbbell set, a heavy KB and that's what I started with at home. I do work blocks of around 45 to 50 minutes (on a Focus timer). When that timer goes off, it's great to move around. I'd do like 15 to 25 pushups, 15 or so weighted squats or lunges and 15 overhead presses every break. Literally takes around 3 minutes. I'd refill my drink and back to work. You can add in a plank if you'd like.

I do think that people make weight lifting too complicated sometimes. Pushups, pressups, squats/lunges/bridges, planks and overhead presses (or assisted pullups) cover most of your major muscle groups. All simple stuff you can do at home (or work) and get in a nice workout while working (or watching TV at night).
  • Djproulx
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Good to hear that your recent unplanned dismount was not damaging to you or the bike. Nice ride.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Easy 50 minutes today. Only 5K on the rower and then 25 minutes on the Assault Bike. I have golf tonight, so trying to conserve some energy for that, even thought it's gorgeous weather. Playing some low handicappers and have to be relatively on my game.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Local sprint distance triathlon tonight was wildly fun! Most fun workout I've had in several years. Beautiful venue and laid back vibe. Race was limited to 110 participants. Temp was 94 degrees and very humid at race start. The short 600 yard swim was chaotic with a mass start. There was quite a scrum as swimmers mixed it up jostling for position before reaching the turn buoy and heading back in towards shore. The bike course was a surprisingly hilly out and back trek. I pushed the bike split to my limits, suffering on the climbs and pushing as many watts as I could on the downhills. I ended the 10mile bike segment at an 18.9mph average.

Once on the 5k run course, the high temps and my extra 10lbs were a factor, but I had decided that I was going to push as hard as I could the entire race, so I did. I suffered on the way out, then ran stronger on the return, running at just under a full sprint for the last 300-400 yds. When I hit the finish line I was near collapse. It felt great to push to exhaustion. I'm looking forward to seeing the race times and splits posted.

Tomorrow its back to regular training, but today was a real race day. Reminds me why I love triathlons.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Quick spin cdalywvml2j2.png