What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Bike/run brick workout this morning.
    Bike was a challenging trainer ride that will help build muscular endurance. 1:22:00 total time.
    Started with warmup, single leg drills, then right into the main set. Main Set: 3 interval sets, varying outputs just over and under my FTP (threshold power) every two minutes. So 3 x's 16min rounds ( 230watts, 210W, 190W, 170W, 160W, 160W, 170W, 190W, 210W, 230W). The end of each round was challenging and power dropped as soon as I lost focus.

Once off the bike, 2minute transition to running gear, then a 15minute run. Felt surprisingly good coming off the bike. Run was at an easy 10:00 pace.

Rest and recovery will be key for me going into the weekend. Training plan calls for a 3300yd race pace swim tomorrow, then 5:05:00 bike into 30 minute HIM pace run on Saturday. Sunday a 55:00 open water swim followed by 1:35:00 run.

I'm starting to see my fitness level reaching the target for racing at the Ironman distance. (140.6 miles). According to Training Peaks, the trending/analysis app that tracks my workouts (power, pace, HR, etc.) I'm getting enough training stress and responding to it appropriately. The target range used to assess fitness is an average weekly Training Stress Score of 850 or above to drive a fitness level or Cumulative Training Load of 95-190 on Ironman race day. My CTL is 127 as of today, so it won't get much higher. On race day, it will all come down to managing pacing, nutrition and hydration by following my race plan and adapting to weather conditions. Should be fun!

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Really easy workout today. It's 106 today in Tucson, so I only did 5K rowing (pretty easy) and will have golf tonight. Even just golfing, with a cart, takes a lot out of you at that temp.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Junk Ks in the garage

nucmom4n4bim.png
  • Djproulx
    Got in half of the pool workout today, 2000 of 3300yds planned. The indoor pool was closed for maintenance, so I headed to the outdoor pool. Lots of leisurely bathers there, including some summer camp kids, using the 3 roped off lanes plus the open swim area. Worked around them for half the session, but called it quits when a class of preschoolers jumped in. :) You have to know when you've lost, lol!
  • sladah10
    sladah10 Posts: 8 Member
    Early Morning:
    15 min abs — Ab Ripper X (P90X)
    30 min on stationary bike (while watching olympics)

Early Afternoon:
    2,000 yards in the town pool (4 x 250, alternating freestyle and breaststroke each length). Took about 45 min.

Feeling great. Wish I could swim every day. Also worked on my tan while at the town pool!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Standard Friday stuff:

* About 7k rowing bow in the double, pretty-easy steady state today.

* 5.37 mile walk, easy pace (3.1mph moving avg)

* 14' "strength training" 😉 mini-circuit on the the outdoor machines at the park, just for fun, 3 rounds of varying reps on (IIRC) vertical press, chest press, lat pull-down, a fun but probably not especially effective swinging obliques exercise thingie - maybe that was all of them. Did reps until I felt like I was accomplishing at least a bit of something on each exercise - surprising range of difficulty of these mostly body-weighted machine things - I can do lots of some exercises, hardly any of others).
  • Djproulx
    Long bike day today. Started very early am with 2hrs done on the indoor trainer, then joined a friend for a 45 mile ride through some rolling hills ending up at his beach house. Indoor/Outdoor total of 5hours on the bike.
    I wore a backpack to carry running gear, so I was able to do a 30 minute run off the bike. It was fairly hot and humid (87F), which gave me a good long session in conditions similar to what I expect on race day.

Open water swim and long run tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    Just the usual Saturday row, about 7k in bow of the quad.

Our twenty-something y/o recent college grad/former NCAA div III coxswain sat stroke seat today, and set a cadence a couple of beats higher than our usual stroke rowers. She's tiny, but mighty! ​That was fun. A pretty mixed lineup: Me (age 65, 18 years rowing) in bow; a new rower (and longtime roller derby competitor) from this year's learn-to-row class (probably 30-something) in 2 seat; my super-woman buddy J. (75, 17 years rowing) in 3 seat; and the former cox (early 20s, 10 years rowing) in stroke.

This is one of many things I love about rowing, that it's a very team-y sport, yet people of pretty widely varied strengths and skill levels can do it together and have it be a decent experience for all.
  • Djproulx
    Open water swim with no wetsuit this morning. Did it as a slow, continuous 2900yd swim with no breaks. No push for time, just building confidence towards completing the 4200 yd distance and coming out of the water fresh.

Followed with a lunch break, then an easy long run. 1:35:00 duration, 8.75miles. Will start practicing a run/walk strategy and stretching out runs starting next week. Rest day tomorrow.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited August 2021
    Felt like garbage this morning. I found out I was Celiac around five years ago and, every once in a while, I go out and try to eat something that might "have a little gluten" in it. Big mistake. Headache all night and felt like I was ran over by a truck all morning.

Got in an hour easy row, though. Super slow. 12K meters or so. Played around with some unstrapped work to keep HR below 75% max.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    I was terrible - completely out of form. I went climbing again yesterday, and was terrible for the second day in a row. I felt feverish when I got home, which could explain why I fell off the wall so much. I did a lateral flow test, which was negative, so it doesn't seem to be COVID.

I slept poorly tonight, but feel a bit better now. So I will probably lift tonight, and maybe look at climbing again a bit later in the week.

My illness got worse, and I didn't move around a lot. I even failed to get 10,000 steps on Saturday. The good news was that on Sunday I felt completely recovered. I went for a walk to celebrate. I didn't want to overdo it and risk the recovery, so I ended up on 18,000 steps. (This about my daily average, but I really enjoyed moving again.)

• Djproulx
    I was terrible - completely out of form. I went climbing again yesterday, and was terrible for the second day in a row. I felt feverish when I got home, which could explain why I fell off the wall so much. I did a lateral flow test, which was negative, so it doesn't seem to be COVID.

I slept poorly tonight, but feel a bit better now. So I will probably lift tonight, and maybe look at climbing again a bit later in the week.

My illness got worse, and I didn't move around a lot. I even failed to get 10,000 steps on Saturday. The good news was that on Sunday I felt completely recovered. I went for a walk to celebrate. I didn't want to overdo it and risk the recovery, so I ended up on 18,000 steps. (This about my daily average, but I really enjoyed moving again.)

Glad to hear of your recovery. Sometimes rest is the only option, which is hard for those who like to move as much as you do!
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Morning was a rest day. Did a 10K yesterday morning. Today evening will be badminton...
  • MikePfirrman
    Did a 9K row today. Pretty easy stuff.
  • AnnPT77
    It's a standard Monday: 7k row (bow in quad), 5+ mile walk, now the 14' 3x circuit on the outdoor exercise machines at the park, just because might as well, while there.

Added the leg lift station to the strength circuit, but that's a struggle. I can't do many when supporting my bodyweight on my forearms: Weak shoulders along that dimension, I guess. (I can do many more leg lifts hanging from the pull-up bar at home; even then, the hanging is the limitation more than the leg-lift 🤷‍♀️. I think the problem generally is shoulder weakness in that direction (which I appreciate as a useful insight), but I can feel the upper left quadrant scar tissue weirdness (from mastectomy/lymph node removal/radiation) as I engage. Still think it's more weakness than that physical limitation, though.)

I supervised open rowing again tonight, which isn't real exercise at all but involves a lot of walking around, some carrying boats while walking. I'm not even steps-y at all in general - I have some days with < 3k steps even in summer - but between the walk & incidentals, I'm at 19,829 steps today, Garmin claims.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I lifted. I started off trying to pistols. It's ages since I did any, and I have got worse - I didn't get proper depth.

I then did 3 sets of 10, pull-ups; 3 sets of 10 dips; and 3 sets of 10 hanging leg raises.

I then squatted, so 3 sets of 5 @ 80 kgs.

Finally, I deadlifted. I thought I did 1 set of 5 @100 kgs, but it actually turned out to be 120 kgs. No wonder it felt heavy.
  • Djproulx
    edited August 2021
    Back to work after a rest day on Monday. Morning run was 75 minutes, with 8 x 2minute hill repeats in the middle of the run. After breakfast, the second session was an easy 55minute trainer ride just to spin out the legs and clear lactic buildup in the muscles.

This will be a fun week, with a local sprint triathlon on Thursday before a long weekend ride.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Morning bootcamp - evening not sure yet.. havent been motivated much in the evenings except for badminton days
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Yoga, pullups and handstand pushups...
    No strict sets and reps, just hitting a bunch every so often this morning...
  • MikePfirrman
    edited August 2021
    Did my rowing clubs "ITC" today. I must be getting stronger and fitter because this one would have really intimidated me a while ago. It was do 7777 meters w/ 7 minutes of total rest, any way you want to break it down.

So I did 1111, 1:10 rest, repeat X 7. It was hard, no doubt, but I felt in control. HR hit 93% on the last one. DF I used was around 110 and SR (stroke rate) was a 24 average. I did around a 2:11 average flat. Certainly not great, but that's a very, very hard row.

Gym this evening.