What Was Your Work Out Today?

1474475477479480513

Replies

  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 232 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    ginray1979 wrote: »
    40 minutes sweatin' to the oldies with Richard Simmons. :) I recently rediscovered his videos on Amazon and found many free workout videos on YouTube. I like them because they are low impact and I am able to get in a good, fun workout that is not as stressful on my 60 year old knees and hips.

    hah! Yes! My Aunt had all of those videos when I was a kid/teen and we would do them together. They are fun! Thanks for opening a pile of fun memories!

    LOL. My daughter said something similar when I told her that I was dancing with Richard again.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 19,713 MFP Moderator
    I need to do better... Winter is kicking my fitness butt. Reading about your workouts is totally awesome. I should come back here more often. :)

    Yesterday: 4 hours in sub-freezing weather wrangling horses, mucking stalls, and other assorted horse things (12K steps during that time) followed by literally the rest of the day huddled under a blanket trying to warm back up.

    Today: Cold and windy walk outside, nowhere near as many steps as yesterday. :)

    I need winter to go away so I can get back on my bike... or just die down so I can restart running without freezing and getting blown away.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 765 Member
    Climbing on Thursday was OK, but I still wasn't brilliant. It was a 100 minute session.

    Friday was a medium sized walk, getting 10 miles in. I also did some squats (3 sets of 6 at 80 kgs).

    Saturday was climbing. It was a a 90 minute session. I mis-read a grade in my warm-up, and session flashed something which I realised I had fallen off and not topped on Thursday. The rest of the session was good, my best effort of the year to date.

    Sunday was a walk, of around 15 miles.

    Tonight will be climbing again.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 277 Member
    Yesterday was my scheduled strength training day, but felt I needed another rest day, so did some light garden chores instead.

    Today, 30 min. slow elliptical pace at HR zone 2, followed by my strength training routine (incline pushups, rows, bridges, crunches). I've been able to consistently increase reps on pushups. I will increase weight or reps on rows next time (felt too easy today - did I just say that? haha). The bridges and crunches are still challenging, so they'll stay the same.

    Slow and steady.....
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited January 17
    Dealing with some minor Achilles tendonitis so I did 30 minutes on the LateralX (Lateral elliptical/Stepper) and 30 on the AD Pro (Assault Bike). All under 67% max and most of it over 60% max, though it took a bit longer to get up to over 60% on the LateralX than the rower would have taken me.

    Was able to hold 160 or so Watts pretty easily on the AD Pro and it's supposed to be an "A Rated" watts device (meaning it's +/- 1% accurate) while holding HR down under 65% max so I'm thinking all the rowing is getting me in decent cardio shape.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 2,755 Member
    Got to the gym for an hour of foam rolling, stretching, yoga and hip mobility work. After foam rolling, I did several rounds of yoga movements(sun salutations, Up/Down Dogs, airplane, strap assisted stretching, etc.) Then worked on hip mobility, including bear crawl with alternating hip swivels bringing one leg under the body and out the other side. Finished with turkish get ups, focusing on holding weight steady/overhead through the hip movement portion of that exercise.

    Snowy/rainy night, so I did just enough walking to meet the Winter Warrior daily minimum.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,369 Member
    Dragged my feet again, did the workout at 10:30PM 🙄.

    Rowing machine, 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) like usual, for 6687 total meters. Our "conversation" here about length, plus the most recent free video from Australia's Decent Rowing ("Hang at the Catch" on YouTube) had me working on that. I'd link it here, as it's useful, but I hate how those seem to always link in as in-line videos.

    I pushed the intensity a little, ended up with the 1st 2k at 2:29.5 pace/25spm, last 2 at 2:22.x pace/21spm. About half the duration (16:55) was Z4, rest below. HR peaked at 157, slightly above 80% reserve. Concept 2 says 336 calories, 296 weight adjusted for the pieces; Garmin says 242 for the 35' total that includes the row in/out & CD.

    Followed that with about 40 minutes of dumbbell supersets: Taking a little longer because I'm adding reps or sets before going up in weight on some of these, to be conservative with imbalances and connective tissue. I want to feel good stability and no weird twinges at X weight before going to a higher weight, generally.
    ginray1979 wrote: »
    40 minutes sweatin' to the oldies with Richard Simmons. :) I recently rediscovered his videos on Amazon and found many free workout videos on YouTube. I like them because they are low impact and I am able to get in a good, fun workout that is not as stressful on my 60 year old knees and hips.

    @ginray1979: I think I may have the whole "Sweatin' to the Oldies" set. I used the VCR versions when I first started getting active, then re-bought a bunch of them on DVD when the technology changed. The music is mostly from my youth, my wonky knees need things to be low impact, and I like the diversity of people doing the workouts in the videos: It made me feel more like I belonged. There are still a few songs that send me into near automatic Richard choreography, if I happen to hear them out in public, I did them for so long! 😆
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,077 Member
    Threw my back out about 10 days ago, so not much I can do comfortably, but walked for 1 1/4 miles and did about 15 mins of yoga to help stretch/loosen my back up.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 2,755 Member
    Gym workout this am included some heavier weights and more upper body work. Five rounds of chest press, pushups, kettlebell squats, resistance band pulls, walking lunges and a couple others I can't remember.

    Out of 361 teams, Our two winter warrior teams are in 3rd place (922miles)and 6th place(722 miles) respectively. Appealing to our competitive nature, one of the women on the 3rd place team noted that our 6th place team is within 30 miles of both the 5th and 4th place teams.

    With 10 people/team, thirty miles is nothing to make up. Trouble is, I'm kind of lazy about running when temps are cold. Hoping my teammates are more motivated, lol!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,699 Member
    Unfortunately, just going for a walk this afternoon. I came down with COVID on January 6 and my cardio capacity is still being an issue. I'm supposed to be training for a cycling even in May and I've tried twice to do a training ride with the program I'm using and I just start hacking up a lung if I start breathing hard or when I get my heart rate up.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,082 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, just going for a walk this afternoon. I came down with COVID on January 6 and my cardio capacity is still being an issue. I'm supposed to be training for a cycling even in May and I've tried twice to do a training ride with the program I'm using and I just start hacking up a lung if I start breathing hard or when I get my heart rate up.

    I had it at Thanksgiving and it does set your training back but you'll recover soon. I think it was around 2 to 3 weeks before I could go relatively easy and then around a month before doing the harder stuff again. Unlike the normal flu, though, I felt like working out actually strengthened the lungs and didn't make it worse.

    Did a 6K Timed Test today. There's something in rowing called "Paul's Law". It's a nice predictor based on your other timed rows what you should reasonably expect to achieve in a different distance row.

    I did a 10K on Friday at 2:15 something. Paul's Law said my predictor for this 6K TT was a 2:11.9 pace. I finished at a 2:11.0 pace for my best 6K (I don't do many of them, it's an odd distance) in four years, since the year I really screwed up my back. So I'm very happy with that. I'd like to drop four or five more seconds off of pace in 2022. I think with aging, I'd be happy with that.

    That would mean my 2K times on the erg would be around 7:50 or so. I might even be able to drop below that if I continue to work this hard on form, strength and meters. 7:30ish would put me in the top 10% percentile for age 60, which I'll be in 2 1/2 years. That's about where I was at age 53 when I had the devastating disc injury. So that's the long term goal.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 727 Member
    253 minutes on my Elliptical for 16.4 miles today.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 2,969 Member
    edited January 19
    45 sec work / 15 sec Rest
    27 Stations Total Body Workout
    30 mins treadmill
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,369 Member
    Stationary bike day, 11,122 meters in 28:30 including the CD, moderate intensity, Z3 and below (peak at 139bpm, slightly under 70% reserve).

    Followed up with about 20' core exercises (stir-the-pot on the ball; leg curls to bridge on the ball; McGill curl-ups; front plank; ball side crunch - some from knees, some straight leg; ball passing; ab wheel from knees to as far as I can reach without collapse (not quite full length)).
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, just going for a walk this afternoon. I came down with COVID on January 6 and my cardio capacity is still being an issue. I'm supposed to be training for a cycling even in May and I've tried twice to do a training ride with the program I'm using and I just start hacking up a lung if I start breathing hard or when I get my heart rate up.

    That's got to be really frustrating for someone as active as you normally are, and with a training plan in hand that you want to run. Hope you see a fast recovery!

    FWIW, I ran across a specialist/MD-written doc aimed at coaches and such about evaluating athletes and phasing return to training post-Covid, with a scope that says it includes recreational adult athletes. It's pretty conservative in what it suggests, but there are some interesting tidbits about studies of how long symptoms persist and that sort of thing. In case interested it's at

    https://www.uptodate.com/contents/covid-19-return-to-play-or-strenuous-activity-following-infection#H135764167
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 232 Member

    @ginray1979: There are still a few songs that send me into near automatic Richard choreography, if I happen to hear them out in public, I did them for so long! 😆[/quote]

    @AnnPT77 - Me too! Channeling "Big Girls Don't Cry" :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 40,699 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Stationary bike day, 11,122 meters in 28:30 including the CD, moderate intensity, Z3 and below (peak at 139bpm, slightly under 70% reserve).

    Followed up with about 20' core exercises (stir-the-pot on the ball; leg curls to bridge on the ball; McGill curl-ups; front plank; ball side crunch - some from knees, some straight leg; ball passing; ab wheel from knees to as far as I can reach without collapse (not quite full length)).
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, just going for a walk this afternoon. I came down with COVID on January 6 and my cardio capacity is still being an issue. I'm supposed to be training for a cycling even in May and I've tried twice to do a training ride with the program I'm using and I just start hacking up a lung if I start breathing hard or when I get my heart rate up.

    That's got to be really frustrating for someone as active as you normally are, and with a training plan in hand that you want to run. Hope you see a fast recovery!

    FWIW, I ran across a specialist/MD-written doc aimed at coaches and such about evaluating athletes and phasing return to training post-Covid, with a scope that says it includes recreational adult athletes. It's pretty conservative in what it suggests, but there are some interesting tidbits about studies of how long symptoms persist and that sort of thing. In case interested it's at

    https://www.uptodate.com/contents/covid-19-return-to-play-or-strenuous-activity-following-infection#H135764167

    Good read. I'm back in the weight room this week and had my first workout on Monday. It was pretty good, but I did dial back on the weight and took longer than normal rest between sets. I tried my first training ride on the 10th which was far too early given my symptoms on the 6th and 7th in particular. I tried my 2nd last Friday 14th and it was still a no go. I am able to get in some easy spins of about 30 minutes and have been going for walks daily since the 12th. I've been feeling really good since the weekend and it's a beautiful day today and there is a trail along the river that I've yet to explore so I'm planning to take my hard tail out for a little ride this afternoon. Pretty low intensity as I'll probably be stopping often to take pictures.

    I'm planning to do the 25 mile Gravelito in Santa Fe on May 21 and the 25 mile road ride that is part of the Santa Fe Century on May 22. Fortunately, they are relatively short distances so I shouldn't be behind too much missing January, My current program is 6 weeks and the next one is 10 weeks (with an 8 week alternative) so if I can start as I now plan to on Monday, January 31 I should still be able to fit in both programs. My 6 week plan starts out relatively gently as these programs go so hopefully I'm good for the 31st.

    I did have another 4 week program I was going to run at the end leading up to the event, but that one will be out...but it was the least important anyway and it's just a lead up prep plan and I can just run it 4 weeks leading up to any particular event once I'm back in shape. The other two programs will definitely get me back into cycling shape.

    It'll probably work out well. I can do my events in May and the next is TBD but it's usually in late August so I can just spend most of June and July just riding mountain or road without any particular plan and jump into the 4 week lead up program in late July. I was thinking about doing the time trial series again which starts in mid July and runs through early September but I think I'm going to scrap that so I can have a good balance between training and just enjoying riding my bikes for fun and exercise.

    The 2022 USA Cycling Masters Road National Championships is being held in Albuquerque (I believe the first time) in August...I'm not of that caliber, but I'm trying to get in as a support volunteer, so we'll see how that works out.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 277 Member
    The physiology of stress is real, y'all. The pandemic is making my work week very stressful and you can see it in my heart rate: It was at Zone 2 when I first stepped on the elliptical! Overall, I did 45 min. with ~35min. in Zone 3, ~5 min. in Zone 4, and ~5 min. in Zone 2. Nuts.

    Anyway, the endorphins were greatly appreciated. Also, the burned calories will allow me to have some comfort food. :smiley:
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 2,969 Member
    100 Jump Rope
    Rotations (Head, Arms, Hips, Knees n Ankles)

    Run = Down and Back on a Bball Court

    Run
    50 Situps & 50 Push-ups
    Run
    45 Flutter Kicks & Overhead Press
    Run
    40 Crunches & Jack Knifes
    Run
    35 Incline Pushups & Dips
    Run
    30 Air Squats & Leg Tucks
    Run
    25 Superman Planks & Supine Bike
    Run
    20 Frog Burps & Hip Lifts
    Run
    15 Lunges & Feet on Chair Push-ups
    Run
    10 Squat Jumps & Single Leg Pushups
    Run


    640 Total Reps & 20 Run Phases
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 24,369 Member
    Schedule constrained, so very short machine row, 2 x (2k on, 2' off/CD), only a little quicker to save time because it was also right after a heavy breakfast (I have a cast iron stomach generally, but there are limits 😆!). Pace for the 2k pieces was 2:26.6, 21spm. About 39% Z4, 49% Z3, remainder (what little there was!) below. Peak at 151bpm, around 77% reserve.

    Followed with about 30' dumbbell supersets, same stuff as usual, just a little faster pace.

    Right after, I had an appointment with my osteopathic doc who keeps my back, neck, hips and other stuff tuned up. I don't like to work out after those appointments until the next day. As usual, he did things that felt like kind of nothing at the time, but now I feel like I had a real workout (waaay beyond what I'd feel from a mini row and routine strength training, so it was him). I looove my osteopath!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 2,755 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    [q My current program is 6 weeks and the next one is 10 weeks (with an 8 week alternative) so if I can start as I now plan to on Monday, January 31 I should still be able to fit in both programs. My 6 week plan starts out relatively gently as these programs go so hopefully I'm good for the 31st.

    I did have another 4 week program I was going to run at the end leading up to the event, but that one will be out...but it was the least important anyway and it's just a lead up prep plan and I can just run it 4 weeks leading up to any particular event once I'm back in shape. The other two programs will definitely get me back into cycling shape.

    orks out.

    Sounds like a fun way to get into cycling shape. What plans do you use? Something online, such as the Trainerroad series, or a coached program?