What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited January 2022
    Thursday
    2 hours' climbing. It was not a bad session, I got two harder (for me) new routes.

Friday
    Lifting and hangboarding. It was a light session. I did 3 sets of 6, squat, 75 kgs; and 3 sets of 6, OHP, 35kgs..

Saturday
    Climbing, 90 minutes. Another good session. I went to City Bouldering. I got most of the v3s, flashing many; and 2 of the v4s. Arguably, I cheated on the first move of one which involved a lot of flexibility. I needed to get my left foot to the same hold as my left hand. A friend saw me struggling, and moved the foot for me.

I fancy doing something all out tomorrow, maybe a 27 mile, hike.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    My adventures in exercise and injury avoidance continue! Ugh... So after 2 days of standing on my feet at work for 6 hours, my lower body is just done. My lower back hurts, my calves were sore and my previously-injured quad was starting to twinge a little again. It's crazy to me how 2 years away from standing 2 days a week was enough to wreck me. I'm thankful that I work the rest of the week from home or I'd really be a mess!

Anyhoo... I've decided that I'm just going to skip lower body strength training entirely for now (except abs). It's just too much. The elliptical and standing at work are enough. So, to that end: 45 minutes elliptical today at a decent pace (about half the time in Zone 2 and half in Zone 3), followed by inclined push-ups, rows, and ab work. I was able to lower my incline on the pushups for my third set, so progress! Again, we'll see what the previously-injured shoulder thinks about that tomorrow.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    254 minutes on my Elliptical for 17 miles. Split in a AM & PM session of about 2 hours each today as I had a hair appointment at 11. My hairdresser is one of my bigger cheerleaders for my weight loss journey!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Did around 90 minutes of slow cardio this AM (10K on rower and rest on LateralX). Did nice job of keeping HR all under 70% max and mostly under 65% max.

I'm a huge Bengals fan being from Cincinnati. Did deadlifts (with my band bar -- about a 150 or so Dead lift equivalent), pushups and shoulder presses every commercial during the 2nd half to work down my nerves! Got in a pretty great lift - 8 or so sets -- and best of all, my Bengals are SuperBowl bound! Tied the greatest comeback in Conference Championship history!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Yoga 🧘🏼‍♀️

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Woke up fairly stiff and sore. Low back, lats, IT bands, etc, so I started the day with a longer rolling/stretching and yoga session. Finished with Yoga w/Adrienne's low back focused practice. It seemed to do the trick. I then trudged through the snow for a mile on day #30 of the Winter Warrior challenge. One more outdoor run/walk tomorrow and its finished.

Tonight's bike workout was the start of an eight week block focused on building my cycling base over the rest of the winter. The 55 minute ride on Zwift included 2x15 min blocks at FTP. I will do some work to raise both the floor (aerobic endurance) and the ceiling (FTP/VO2 max) during this block.

Right now, I'm thinking 2-3 rides/week (5-6 hours) plus 2 strength sessions and an occasional swim or run when time allows. I don't have any races scheduled until a Half Iron distance race in July, so I won't start a real build effort until sometime in March. And as always, I'll continue to focus on getting leaner this winter.
  • swimmom_1
    271 minutes on my Elliptical for 17.3 miles.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Sneaky century (metric). I am running out of food now and have one more down of isolation lol.

8vchspz8zacb.png
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Arms

DB curls ascending and descending.
    15 reps, then ascend until failure. Then switch to drag curls. Ascend till failure again.
    Then descend until failure.
    3 sets.

Seated french press, skull crushers, slow, closes handed press.
    3 sets 20/20/failure

Incline DB curl. 5 count positive, 5 count hold, 5 count negative.
    3 sets 15 reps

Incline DB kickbacks, 5 count hold at the "top"
    15 reps plus 2 drops. 3 sets

Body weight french press SS with BB curls. No rest between
    failure/failure, sets went until failure.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited January 2022
    Easy pace 45 min. on the elliptical (all of it HR Zone 2 (60-70% max)). Slow and steady....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    If all goes well, I'll be out on a trail ride this afternoon. I found a great little single track over the weekend that runs along the river and I want to explore it some more as I think it may end up very close to my office and I could bike commute on Fridays. I've tried commuting by road, but I have to ride on the shoulder of a major highway and it's friggin' scary and dangerous. If I can take that trail most of the way, I'll be golden.

Looks like it'll be the last pleasant day this week to get out on the bike as well and I'll be inside on Zwift the rest of the week with a snow storm blowing in tomorrow night and frigid temps the rest of the week.
  • MikePfirrman
    Just an easy hour on the rowing machine unstrapped. HR never exceeded 70% of max and most of it was under 67%.
  • KristiiAly
    KristiiAly Posts: 40 Member
    vz7bl6hvoaje.jpg
  • KristiiAly
    KristiiAly Posts: 40 Member
    Also HIIT with my Alexa
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Came very close to deciding to skip today's workout, feeling tired and achy despite yesterday being regular recovery day. Instead, decided to machine row, but very slowly.

So, 6755m, at 2:43.9 pace/19spm. It went OK, and I may do some other very slow rows later this week as an experiment, but I think it could be easy for this to be technically detrimental, for me.

A little over 3' in Z3, but overwhelmingly Z2. Peak at 131bpm, and it looks like that was at the start, getting the flywheel moving before fully dialing in the slower pace. Most of the row was mid-120s. That's all under 65% reserve, most but not all under 70% max (131 is about 73% max).

Data geeking: My Garmin thought this was worth about 205 calories (vs. the 240-260 it guesses for the exact same distance at a quicker pace). Concept 2 says this one was worth about 268 (weight adjusted), with the usual faster paced same distance worth something in the 280s to low 300s, depending on pace.

(None of that difference matters to me as a practical calorie-counting issue: Any of it seems plenty close enough to be useful. I think it's interesting that C2 has a little narrower spread for the same distance, which makes more sense to me.)

I put off strength training for today, but tentatively plan to fit in 3 times later in the week, maybe skip a core workout.
  • swimmom_1
    280 minutes on my Elliptical for 18.33 miles
  • MikePfirrman
    Weight supersets in the AM on work breaks (five or six so far) and then a harder interval row at lunch. Wanted to get an early pace set for my monthly online (indoor) rowing club's competition.

It was 1609 meters X 3 w/ 3:00 rest. Kind of an odd one but that might be one mile. Had a headache going into it so I thought I'd try one and see how it goes. Ended up finishing all three with a 2:05.9 pace average. Pleased with this considering I wasn't feeling 100%. HR hit around 92% on the last one. Really nice to have it done, if I don't feel like redoing it, on the 1st of the month.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Focused on heavier weight movements with the trainer today. Kettlebell deads, lunges, dumbbell press, etc. In between rounds, we did cardio intervals: Assault Bike rounds of 30 on/30 off, plus rounds of pushing the sled on 30 sec recovery. I was even inspired by an MFP poster who was doing box jumps, so I tried a few this morning. No issues with 24 inch jumps, but I was hesitant to move up to 30 inch jumps. Don't want to risk injury.

Bike workout was a Zwift training academy session for 70.3 triathlon. An hour ride starting with warmup over/unders, then six rounds of 8 minutes each, done as 2 x (2min@90% FTP,2min@80% FTP) with 1 min recovery power output between rounds. I felt pleasantly fatigued at the end.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Intended to do a slow jog. Wanted to keep to 11 min miles. Well 1st mile was just above 10. I kept pushing ahead and ended up with 9:49 avg mile for the 4 miles and then some…

kibg57zmdblp.jpeg