What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It has been a while since I logged.

I went climbing on Wednesday. It was pretty good, I got one long-term project (which I actually session flashed.) It is a fun route, with twisty slabby technique nonsense leading to a minor dyno, leading to a brief thuggy overhang and finished off with more slab nonsense. 2 hour session.

On Friday, I visited my brother in Barcelona. It was fun. I visited the Sharma gym in Gava in another 2 hour session. The gym is huge, it's the first place I've been to with a speed wall. (I didn't use it, I just went bouldering,) The grading was a bit odd - yellow tags were 6a to 6c+, which is a bit of a wide gap. I got around 6 out of the 8 I tried in this grade range, which I was pretty happy with. A few took me many, many goes. I was there for 2 hours, so I had the time to repeat them as much as I liked.

On Saturday, we did an easy Via Ferrata and as spot of sea swimming.

On Sunday, I did a bit more sea swimming. I came home on Monday.

I've visited him lots before; I hadn't appreciated that his house is close to some mountains. A 2 hour walk gets you to a foothill (295 metres above sea level, so lower than a mountain.) I walked up that every day before lunch whilst waiting for his teenage daughters to wake up.

Yesterday, I went climbing in a 2 hour session. It was very good, I got something like 4 new routes and I got to the last move on a 7a climb. (I've never done 7a at this gym). It feels like it should go, but the last move is bit terrifying.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    Hump day pec day!

Bench press
    Incline DB press
    Decline cable fly
    Standing BB OHP
    Cable pushdowns
    Cable woodchoppers
    Perloff press
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Just an easy hour of cardio today. 30 minutes of walking @ 15% incline on the treadmill, 15 minutes on the LateralX and then 15 on the Assault Bike. All under 75% of max HR and most of it between 60% and 70%.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Twenty minute Yoga with Adrienne session this morning, focused on the low back area. I'm working on improving torso and back mobility as well interior hip rotation. Fit in a short ride this afternoon, only 13 miles, but the weather and foliage were perfect.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Was scheduled to do a hard session today. Had a bit of toothache, so I took it easy for a harder day. Did 99 second intervals (as high as my AD Pro goes for programmed work time) with 60 seconds recover X 8 sets. Did manage to get the HR up to around 88% of max by the last one. Normally, I'd do at least 12 of these but wasn't feeling it today.

I usually go to the gym on Thursday evening. I'll see how the tooth pain feels and go by that. Might stay and workout at home. It's nothing major with my teeth. Had some dental work done last year in Mexico (they have state of the art dental there) and I have a weird top molar that's pressing a bit hard on a newer crown. The dentist said if it bothered me to come back in and it's only hurt twice but I've been lazy about going back again. Planning on going in November or December again. Last time it just hurt for a couple of days and was fine. I grind me teeth a bit in my sleep. I'm sure it's from that.

The bad thing about tooth pain is when you go hard at cardio and really get your heart pumping, it causes more throbbing.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    0apyrry6a8cw.jpeg
    Dreadmill
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    0apyrry6a8cw.jpeg
    Dreadmill

Nothing to dread looking at that. Yikes, I feel woefully slow now :mrgreen:
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    0apyrry6a8cw.jpeg
    Dreadmill

Nothing to dread looking at that. Yikes, I feel woefully slow now :mrgreen:

Haha, its ironic..I run faster on the treadmill than IRL... I just want to get it done and over with.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    0apyrry6a8cw.jpeg
    Dreadmill

Nice work. Fenix 6?
  • nossmf
    Options
    Just an easy hour of cardio today...

LOL, your "easy hour of cardio" differs from mine by quite a bit, my friend. I put in an hour on the elliptical doing hills, with a HR reaching as high as about 70% max. You'd likely be yawning the entire time, wondering when the actual work would start, but it's enough for me to get general fitness in while recovering from my lifting days.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Just an easy hour of cardio today...

LOL, your "easy hour of cardio" differs from mine by quite a bit, my friend. I put in an hour on the elliptical doing hills, with a HR reaching as high as about 70% max. You'd likely be yawning the entire time, wondering when the actual work would start, but it's enough for me to get general fitness in while recovering from my lifting days.

As you know from your X-County days, cardio is all repetition and conditioning. I used to dread cardio, now I'm "one of those guys...". I used to make fun of cardio addicts. I also thought, wrongly, in high school that I had asthma, because I couldn't run longer distances. I just didn't know how and never tried.

Speaking of addiction, had to take a nap today and skip the workout. Killed me missing a cardio workout. Tooth was throbbing. Going to the dentist next week if I can make it that long. It's tolerable with Advil, but I hate taking that stuff. Would imagine all of next week is going to be easy stuff and then I'm on vacation for a week, so the conditioning might take a bit of a hit. That's OK. I'm due for a decent break.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Physical workout:

Elliptical - 5km hills
    Deadlifts
    Hack squat
    DB Press/Row
    DB Front/Side/Rear Raise
    DB Curl/Extend

Emotional workout:

DS21 drove away today to start his new life in Baltimore. I'm proud to see him going, but my wife is a complete wreck watching her baby leave.

Financial workout:

Groceries for a household of 7 (was 9 before DS21 and his live-in girlfriend left)

I'm worn out!
  • amorfati601070
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    0apyrry6a8cw.jpeg
    Dreadmill

Nice work. Fenix 6?

Yessir

6x Pro Solar
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,068 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Still intermittent slacking! 😉😆

No workout Wednesday (rain/wind cancelled rowing) or Thursday (busy and under-enthusiastic). Cold and too windy Friday for singles, but we had an uneven number of rowers, so I bundled up and coxed the quad - not a workout for me.

Saturday, no row because of a head race on our river, so I took a 24 mile bike ride instead, much of which was against a cold 14-16mph wind.

Today, a beautiful - if slightly chilly - day for rowing . . . on Sunday, not one of our standard days. Flat water, sunshine. Rowed the usual 7km-ish in 3 seat of the quad (engine room! 🙂), with a bunch of power 10 and 20 intervals mixed in.

Fall colors are looking pretty beautiful.

Monday forecast looks vile: Cold, rain, strong West wind.

• Djproulx
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    0apyrry6a8cw.jpeg
    Dreadmill

Nice work. Fenix 6?

Yessir

6x Pro Solar

Cool. I just bought the 6, and have loved it so far. It is a quantum leap forward from my old 920XT.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    slowly getting back to my college glory days (which was around 225lb 3x10)!!! just did 210lb bench press 3x8! (i'm 5'4'' btw)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Leg Day Monday!

Squats 4x20
    BB Step Ups
    BB RDL
    BB Hip Thrust
    Seated Calf Raise
    Cable Crunches
    Planks
    azuki84 wrote: »
    slowly getting back to my college glory days (which was around 225lb 3x10)!!! just did 210lb bench press 3x8! (i'm 5'4'' btw)

Kudos! It's nice to have a goal for yourself, just be careful about using those goals to define your self-perception. I'm not as strong as I was ten years ago, but I look better and my joints feel good (most of the time lol). My preferred comparison is who I was a week ago; am I working harder / lifting heavier than a week ago?
  • Djproulx
    Options
    We had a beautiful weather weekend for outdoor activities, including a fun group ride on Sunday. I haven't been doing long bike rides lately (nothing over 40 mles), but my frequency has increased, giving me about 120 miles/week the last two weeks. I'm hoping for a few more weeks of mild weather to squeeze in some more social rides before heading to the indoor traineer.

I'm 16 days into the Gym challenge, and starting to "feel the burn". The two/day workouts, plus a "workout burst" daily (WB = choice of either 15 burpees, 50 squats, 25 pushups or :30 rope slams) has started to drive some fatigue. This is mostly due to the increase from 1 to 3 trainer led strength sessions, plus more running as a second workout on 4 of the days each week. It has been fun, though, since there are five more weeks to go and we're starting to see who the real competitors are. The hard part for me is the meal prep and daily food tracking, since I"ve gotten lazy about that stuff recently. :)

1500 yd swim done this morning, 30 minute run/walk and some pushups on tap for this afternoon.

• MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Leg Day Monday!

Squats 4x20
    BB Step Ups
    BB RDL
    BB Hip Thrust
    Seated Calf Raise
    Cable Crunches
    Planks
    azuki84 wrote: »

Kudos! It's nice to have a goal for yourself, just be careful about using those goals to define your self-perception. I'm not as strong as I was ten years ago, but I look better and my joints feel good (most of the time lol). My preferred comparison is who I was a week ago; am I working harder / lifting heavier than a week ago?

Good advice for lifting or anything. I took up indoor rowing (rowing machine) in my late 40s and hit all my personal bests in my early 50s. I used to obsess with times/performance. The fact, unfortunately, is that the most drop off in performance happens in your 50s and I'll be 58 this next month.

I stopped beating myself up over not hitting my old times and I've just enjoyed the workout for just what it is -- a good workout. I still enjoy really pushing myself, though I'm not really competitive any longer, at least at the level of competition I'd be satisfied with.

Tooth has eased off significantly. Still going this week to the dentist but it's not throbbing like crazy anymore, which is great. Did a lift this AM, had to take my dog to the vet, came back and did an interval workout. Didn't feel like dragging the rower back inside and it was too hot for me to want to push ridiculously hard outside. So did just a simple 10 minutes on the treadmill @ 15% incline, around 3 MPH -- enough to get the HR going. Then did 4 X 5 minute hard intervals on the Assault Bike with 5 minute recoveries. Tried to keep the interval parts between 250 and 300 Watts. Kept the recoveries around 125 to 150 Watts, though the last recovery was more like 100 Watts! Was drained by the last one. Managed to hit 93% max on the last interval, so the workout served its purpose as a hard cardio day.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted because I've been away chaperoning a week-long school trip for the kid. It was a great week that included lots of hiking and some tidepooling. That plus wrangling a bunch of kids means I absolutely got my steps in. :smile:

To ease back into my normal routine, I mowed the field today and followed that with some full-body supersets.