What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Another nice morning, sunny and 50s F, not much wind and that South-ish, so we rowed the usual nearly 7k. I was in 3 seat (engine room).

At one point, bow rower started having trouble with the boat pulling strongly to one side so she was having to do a lot of steering corrections. We theorized that we'd caught up some floating Fall leaves (which were all over the river) on the bow or skeg, so did some intentional hard backing. That got rid of the problem, so we think the theory was correct.

Surprisingly small amounts of stuff stuck on the bow point or the skeg (fin under the boat) can do this. If it's just or mostly water pressure keeping it stuck (from direction of travel), then backing hard can work. (No way to reach the bow or skeg while rowing: The bow is many feet away from the nearest rower (40' boat), and the skeg some feet away underneath near the stern.)
  • myfavoritealpha
    myfavoritealpha Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    5 miles at lunch. 5K run, Power Walk the rest
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've been a slave to the fall challenge at my gym, squeezing in both strength and/or cardio workouts daily and tracking foods. One good thing about more days with my trainer is that she's taking me out of the group for part of the session so we can work on my focus areas. Today, she started having me climb on a box and do negatives on the pullup bar. Ugh, it was humbling! But, it will be terrific for my swim stroke next season.

Spending 3-4 days/week with my trainer is a real treat. She's ruthlessly demanding about good form and always explains the intended pace of each movement and which muscle group is in focus as I'm performing each move. As a true geek, I really love that insight. I'm also just enjoying the change of pace from my solo swim/bike/run workouts.

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My logging has been weak again.
    Saturday
    I went climbing, 2.5 hour session. I was OK but not brilliant. I went with my little brother, who did better than me but seemed to be broken at the end.

Sunday
    Lifting, I'm weak so it was light.
    • Bench, 50 kgs, 2 sets of 8. 55 kgs, 1 set of 5.
    • Deadlift, 100 kgs, 1 set of 5

Monday
    I went to a wedding, so I jumped up and down a lot and pretended it was dancing. I lasted about 2.5 hours until the reception ended.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    Pull day in the weight room!

Pullups, BB Rows, BB Shrugs, Machine Rows, Preacher Curls, DB Side Bends, Side Planks

I'm treating this week as a deload week, knocking 20% off my usual weight. Made the day feel like a prolonged warmup.
  • tpg22
    tpg22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sunday I ran 8 miles, Monday was two recovery rides on the Peleton and today was 90 mins with Olivia on the Peleton.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Bike ride, bit over 23 miles, 10.6mph moving average. Warm (70s F) again, but it's not going to last.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Climbing, 2 hours.

A very good session. I got two graded 6b+-6c; it's the first time I've got any in this range at this gym. One was clearly mis-graded. The other one may have been as well. It was slab and didn't really have any handholds, so it suited my style.

My favourite was a 6b starting in a cave, with a swing to get the hands out of the cave;, cutting loose with the feet to a high heel hook; a mad grab for the next hand-hold; and then it became easy slab.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I consider myself reasonably strong in the weight room, but climbing takes a different type of strength which I simply do not possess, I freely admit. Once upon a time in my youth I loved to climb, especially natural rock walls when out camping. Until one day when I was 12-13, I was climbing a rock face, maybe a hundred feet up, when the handhold I reached for crumbled under my weight, feet slipped, and I'm dangling by one hand convinced I'm going to die. After I got down, I've never gone climbing again outdoors.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today was deload push day, so 20% off my chest/shoulders/triceps lifts.

Bench press, incline DB press, decline cable fly, standing OHP, cable pushdown, cable woodchoppers, Perloff press.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Weather cancel for river rowing (rain, wind).

I probably should've machine rowed, but I can't quite bring myself to do it yet: It's like admitting the season is over.

I did about half an hour stationary bike, moderate intensity, all under 75% HRmax.

It probably doesn't count as a strength workout that I carried 27.8 pounds of veggies a quarter mile to my car after the farmers market, does it? 😆 Yes, I weighed them when I got home, out of curiosity: 5 giant Winter squashes, plus several other pretty-heavy kinds of produce.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Fourth consecutive day of trainer led sessions this morning and I'm feeling it. Its the good kind of muscle soreness, but I can tell that I'm carrying some fatigue. Will do an outdoor walk this afternoon, maybe even carrying a shotgun with my dog in tow.

A walk, yoga and some deep tissue work planned for tomorrow. Looking forward to getting some recovery.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Thursday is cardio day, but due to having to get to work a little earlier than normal I only got in 5km instead of my usual hour on the elliptical. I've also gotten into the habit of taking the dog for a walk each day after I get home from work, usually about a half hour at a time. Some days it's a pleasant walk; other days, it's a constant game of tug of war with a mutt who looks me in the eye when he stands on his hind legs and darn near matches me in weight.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Another bike ride, on the cooler side of pleasant (upper 40s to 51 F). Just under 23 miles, easy pace, 10.3mph moving average and mostly Z2 and below (9:20 Z3).

I think there might've been more people in the drive-through lane at the McD's I rode by than I saw on non-park parts of the trail. Close, at least.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Li'l ol' lady "TriRecreatathon"? Row just under 7k, bike just over 10 miles, walk 3 miles.

I rowed 2 seat in the quad in the AM, with several power 10/15/20 stroke pieces mixed in, so interval-ish. Later, I biked from home to a local restaurant to lunch with a friend; biked to a nearby park after to walk with her (she drove); walked the 3 miles on the trails; biked home.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Deep tissue work yesterday was a big relief. Walked and did a 20 minute yoga session as well.

Back to heavy (for me) strength work this am. Deadlifts, squats, KB rows, etc. 30 min easy treadmill run followed. After this afternoon's leaf raking/blowing duty, I'll get outside on the bike. Perfect fall weather weekend, so I"m hoping to get out both days on the bike.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Despite it being my standard rest day today, out in the quad (3 seat again) for just under 7k, with some 10-15-20 stroke power intervals mixed in the moderate steady state.

Yesterday, no real workout, but a group of us scrubbed out the rowing-training barge, helped take it out of the river and disassemble it for storage, with the university's crew club providing the majority of the muscle power lifting the big barge sections and stacking them on shore.

After that, I did "one arm deadlifts" helping club members bail many gallons of storm water out of an underground crock (maybe 3 ft x 5 ft cylinder) that will one day (we hope) be part of a boathouse bathroom, but isn't yet. Needed to be bailed so it wouldn't freeze/crack over Winter. I was on the edge of the crock, grabbing pitchers of water from the woman who was in the crock bailing, and dumping them in larger buckets for 2 other people to cart outside/dump. No, we didn't have a suitable pump. This worked.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Did another couple hours in the yard running my leaf blower, but the leaves seem to be winning.

After that, I jumped on the bike for a short spin, covering 22miles at a leisurely 16mph pace. The sun was warm, but this time of year the breeze can be cold and any shaded stretches fairly damp and raw. The weather forecast calls for a warm week, so I'm hoping we can squeeze in another group ride or two before heading indoors to the trainer and Zwift.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Real life kept me out of the gym over the weekend, which by body likely needed anyway as I woke this morning ache-free and was looking forward to hitting legs in the weight room.

Squats 4x20
    BB Step Ups
    BB RDL
    Machine hip thrust
    Seated calf raises
    Cable crunches
    Planks
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    5 miles to finish off the month. Knocked out early from work to get it done and get ready to hand out some candy to kids stopping by..