What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    15m stationary bike
    45m elliptical hills

Since I'm going to be doing nothing but cardio for the next couple months, I decided to try the bike for variety's sake. Took me about 15 minutes before I realize it simply wasn't for me. Bored silly, plus burned only 25 calories in 15 minutes? That's barely more than what I burn simply lying on a couch! I'll try something else tomorrow. Rowing machine is out on account of my elbow. Maybe I'll look at returning to my youth and start running again, although given how long it's been since I last ran more than 50m at a shot, it'll be more walking fast, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions about trying various braces or sleeves, I'll keep those as back pocket options if I find lifting still uncomfortable 3 months from now. Until then, I'd rather not start relying on external supports to mask pain, I'd rather let the body heal and actually BE pain free instead. Plus, in my case, the bigger limiting factor is not so much the pain itself, which I can grunt through, but rather the fact my grip is significantly compromised, both in strength as well as stamina. I've always had seriously strong grip on account of a ton of bowling in my youth, and it really bothers me to be limited now. Yes, I could use wraps to make up the difference, but again that'd be cheating my muscles, and if I can sacrifice 3 months of lifting to return to being unhindered, I'll take that option over starting to use crutches and never being able to give them up. Sure, it's a pride thing in part, and if I am not recovered in 3 months then I'll suck it up and do what I need to get back to the joy of lifting. But until then...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    15m stationary bike
    45m elliptical hills

Since I'm going to be doing nothing but cardio for the next couple months, I decided to try the bike for variety's sake. Took me about 15 minutes before I realize it simply wasn't for me. Bored silly, plus burned only 25 calories in 15 minutes? That's barely more than what I burn simply lying on a couch!

Estimated how: The bike, HR monitor, or . . . ? At any sensible level of vigor - and I'd assume some vigor from you - it seems like that can't be right. Based on watts from the bike, my Z2-Z3 hour rides at 90-100W average (i.e., not very vigorous) are worth over 300 cal/hour, whether I do the math from watts (which I believe Concept 2 is likely to get right) or believe my Garmin. (The two estimates are fairly close, for me.)
    I'll try something else tomorrow. Rowing machine is out on account of my elbow. Maybe I'll look at returning to my youth and start running again, although given how long it's been since I last ran more than 50m at a shot, it'll be more walking fast, lol.

Thanks for the suggestions about trying various braces or sleeves, I'll keep those as back pocket options if I find lifting still uncomfortable 3 months from now. Until then, I'd rather not start relying on external supports to mask pain, I'd rather let the body heal and actually BE pain free instead. Plus, in my case, the bigger limiting factor is not so much the pain itself, which I can grunt through, but rather the fact my grip is significantly compromised, both in strength as well as stamina. I've always had seriously strong grip on account of a ton of bowling in my youth, and it really bothers me to be limited now. Yes, I could use wraps to make up the difference, but again that'd be cheating my muscles, and if I can sacrifice 3 months of lifting to return to being unhindered, I'll take that option over starting to use crutches and never being able to give them up. Sure, it's a pride thing in part, and if I am not recovered in 3 months then I'll suck it up and do what I need to get back to the joy of lifting. But until then...

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    OK, looks like I figured out how to reduce biking intensity without forcing it. ;)

Today, I went on a rare Winter walk with a friend, only about 3 miles, but I'm at 13k steps for the day, when Winter average is more like 3k-6k steps (usually toward the lower end). I haven't had a day this step-y since early October (and even then it was rare). Not used to it.

Tonight's 60' + 3' stationary bike ride, just doing the usual "bike how I feel", was 85W and 87W respectively (no point in CD when my heart rate never went over 67% HRmax, y'know? :D ). The ride included an interesting episode of calf cramps 4' before the end of the 60'. I should probably walk more, but it's hard on my knees.

I repeated bench press, slightly more serious, still light weight but not truly trivial, 3 sets x 20 reps - and paying attention to the tips folks here gave me. Seemed OK. Yesterday's flys were a bad idea, probably: I moved funny in bed afterward, and bad things happened. The good news is that physical therapy is now scheduled, starting a week from today.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Great leg workout this morning.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 142/167
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 140/155

58 minutes lifting weights

Wide stance leg press: 12@210, 10@300, 8@390, 6 @480, 6@530, 6@530, 6@530, Drop set: 6@530, 8@390, 8@300, 10@210
    Crunches: 30, 30, 30, 30
    Sumo barbell deadlifts: 12@95, 8@165, 6@205, 4@235, Drop set: 2@265, 4@205, 6@145, 8@95
    Kettle bell side swings, each side: 4@*10@30

Stretched

I'm definitely going to feel that workout tomorrow!

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Did a 4 X 1K yesterday on the rowing machine. I had to do a Timed Test on one this month, so I made the first one my timed test and went nearly all out. Not fast, barely under 4 minutes (low 3:50s), but that's done for the month! The next 3 would have been impossible for me, so I did them unstrapped @20 SPM. Jumped up to like a 2:14 pace on the second, but then ended up doing the 3rd and 4th at around 2:10/2:11 pace, not terrible for 20 SPM and unstrapped.

Went to the gym last night and lifted and did just a bit more cardio on the stairmaster. Not really as much for the cardio part as the strength for my right knee. My right knee is structurally garbage, so it's hard to lift heavy weights with it, except perhaps the leg press machine, so the Stairmaster is a nice way to get some more strength with my legs.
  • nossmf
    Options
    All the elliptical machines were in use when I got to the gym this morning, so I spent 20 minutes on a treadmill playing around with pace and incline before an elliptical opened up and I jumped on it to finish my day. Used to be a whole line of elliptical machines, but all but 3 have been removed with signs about "waiting for parts" or whatnot.

In answer to @annpt77, the "25 calories in 15 minutes" thing was from the bike's computer screen. Yes, I know you have to take those display readings with a grain (or large chunk) of salt, as they tend to overestimate things. But I still found it discouraging, especially given how little I was enjoying the process in the first place. I spend all day sitting at a desk job, to go along with a 60-90 minute commute each way in a car, so guess I just want to be on my feet in the gym.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Great workout this morning. Upper body, core and cardio.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 139/161
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 139/154

52 minutes lifting weights

Superset: Barbell bench press, Wide grip lat pull-downs, One-armed landmine overhead press
    Chest: 10@135, 8@165, 6@185, 4@205, Drop set: 3@205, 5@185, 6@165, 8@135
    Back: 10@110, 8@140, 8@160, 6@180, Drop set: 5@190, 6@170, 6@150, 8@120
    Shoulders, each arm: 10@60, 8@75, 8@85, 6@95, Drop set: 4@105, 4@95, 6@85, 8@70

Superset: Cable triceps press-downs, Crunches, Dumbbell concentration curls, Landmine twists
    Triceps: 10@50, 8@70, Drop set: 5@90,8@60
    Crunches: 3*30
    Biceps: 10@30, 7@40, Drop set: 4@50, 7@35
    Landmine twists: 3*10@55

Stretched

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Elliptical 120 minutes straight through on Interval (The ramp automatically elevates & lowers and higher & lower resistances.) setting, 8.5 miles. Guess my cardiovascular stamina isn't bad as I thought. I had no trouble today. I'm now thinking it may have been from wearing a short sleeve shirt (instead of my usual tank top) and even though I have a fan on, I got to hot, which wore me out. I LOVE MY NEW ELLIPTICAL!
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    PT session: 3 supersets

Step back lunge w 15# Db
    Crunches on Swiss ball
    Mountain climbers w sliders.

V-squat (100#)
    Cable donkey kick

Leg press (230ish#)
    Hip thru (25#)

The this workout was harder than it should have been and I was feeling lousy about it. It wasn’t until I got home that I realized it was 2 years ago I couldn’t walk from pain/injury. Don’t feel so lousy now.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Legs, Core and Cardio. Went lighter today, as I was feeling a little beat up from the past few days of heavy lifting.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 135/162
    31 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 133/148

43 minutes lifting weights

Bodyweight box squats: 6*10
    Crunches: 6*30
    Narrow-stance leg press: 12@210, 6*10@300
    Landmine twists: 4*10@75
    Kettlebell swings: 4*10@30

Stretched

Legs feel much better after this session, helped loosen them up.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in awhile, because life, but I've been keeping up reasonably well with my ellliptical and strength training. Well, until last week when my elliptical decided to die! :( The machine is about 17 years old, so I should be happy it lasted as long as it did. Unfortunately, the company is out of business, so I can't seem to get parts for it or find anyone willing to work on it.

So..... any suggestions on good brands of ellipticals? Alternatively, any brands I should totally stay away from? I don't care about fancy subscription services or anything like that. I just want a well-built machine.
  • swimmom_1
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Elliptical Interval setting, 120 minutes straight through again, 8.1 miles today.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I had a week's scuba diving on a liveaboard in Egypt. It was lovely.

The highlights were:

1) The Salem Express, a wreck. We penetrated deep into the engine room. There was no natural light, and it was a bit of a maze. So there was some risk. I was on a twin-set which mitigates a lot of the risk.

2) The Thistlegorm, one of the most famous wrecks there is.

On Saturday, I somehow ended up at a ravey type thing, and danced all night.

The sea ate my camera, so I've very few pictures.

I got home at 2.30 am today. So this morning, I went combing for 3 hours in a decent session that left me a bit destroyed.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @dralicephd
    My new to me gently used elliptical is a Precor EFX 835. I absolutely LOVE it. I live close enough to the place I got it from. Christian's Fitness Factory in Lancaster, PA. They buy out used equipment from gym's, some that close. They refurbish them, if necessary, but go over them before they sell them. Mine was about $3000. I just looked online and they have the same model for $1999. I only got mine the beginning of November. So I'm a bit disappointed they are that much cheaper now. I had mine delivered by the guy that told me my old one was a goner. But the company builds exo skeletons around them and delivers everywhere.
    A brand new EFX 835 is about $9000.+ They also supply college gyms.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning, Upper body, core and cardio

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 137/163
    31 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 136/149

45 minutes lifting weights

Superset: Dumbbell incline press, Cable Rows, Dumbbell overhead press
    Chest: 12@35, 10@50, 10@60, 8@60, drop set: 8@60, 8@45, 10@35
    Back: 12@110, 10@130, 10@150, 8@170, drop set: 5@190, 8@150, 10@110
    Shoulders: 12@25, 10@30, 8@35, 6@40, drop set: 5@45, 6@35, 8@30

Superset: Rope triceps press-downs, Crunches, Dumbbell curls, Weighted side bends
    Triceps: 10@40, 8@50, drop set: 7@60, 10@40
    Crunches: 3*25
    Biceps: 10@25, 8@35, drop set: 6@45, 10@30
    Side Bends, each side: 3*10@30

Stretched
  • nossmf
    Options
    Saturday:
    1h elliptical hills
    30m walking dog

Monday (today):
    1h elliptical hills
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @dralicephd
    My new to me gently used elliptical is a Precor EFX 835. I absolutely LOVE it. I live close enough to the place I got it from. Christian's Fitness Factory in Lancaster, PA. They buy out used equipment from gym's, some that close. They refurbish them, if necessary, but go over them before they sell them. Mine was about $3000. I just looked online and they have the same model for $1999. I only got mine the beginning of November. So I'm a bit disappointed they are that much cheaper now. I had mine delivered by the guy that told me my old one was a goner. But the company builds exo skeletons around them and delivers everywhere.

Thanks for the reminder to check for used. :) I don't have a shop like that near me, but there are occasional sightings of used machines on Next Door and Craigs List. But before I do any of that, I'm going to have to go try some brands out in a store and see what I like. It's not a great time to buy right now with the "new year, new me" crowd, but I suspect as that dies away in a few weeks, I might find some deals.

In the meantime, I'm focusing on strength training and taking walks (as weather permits).
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    dralicephd wrote: »
    @dralicephd

Thanks for the reminder to check for used. :) I don't have a shop like that near me, but there are occasional sightings of used machines on Next Door and Craigs List. But before I do any of that, I'm going to have to go try some brands out in a store and see what I like. It's not a great time to buy right now with the "new year, new me" crowd, but I suspect as that dies away in a few weeks, I might find some deals.

In the meantime, I'm focusing on strength training and taking walks (as weather permits).

If you have a Play It Again Sports in your area, I'd check that out too. They also always seem to carry high quality new equipment at affordable prices.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Today was lift in the AM (supersets) and then a hard row at lunch, except it was nasty today outside, so instead of the row, I did 12 X 4 minute intervals, one minute recovery -- first six on the LateralX and last 6 on the Assault Bike. To make it more tolerable, I play a HR game with it -- trying to match or increase my max HR from the previous intervals. Started out in the mid 70s (max HR) and ended up at 91% max by the last interval. HR dropped down to the 120s (from the 160s and 170s) each recovery minute, so that was good to see.

I'm not sure how many calories (as HRMs aren't all that accurate), but it said around 900 for the hour. Avg HR around 77% max for the hour.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,219 Member
    Options
    dralicephd wrote: »
    @dralicephd

If you have a Play It Again Sports in your area, I'd check that out too. They also always seem to carry high quality new equipment at affordable prices.

In my experience, Play it Again Sports will also be able to check other nearby stores, and if another nearby store has what you're looking for, they will deliver it to your local store within a few days for you to go decide if you want it.