What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Pool swim this morning, 1600 yds total. My typical warmup routine of 600 yds done as 2 swim, 2 kick, 2 pull, then main set of 2 x 100 on 10R, right into 2 x400 on 20R.

Garmim said I'm "Maintaining", so I'd better step it up. ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    KB swings (100) and get-ups (10), yoga (15m) and walking (60m)...
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Upper Body Power day in the weight room, and I'm increasing the weights again.

Looking ahead to when my son graduates from Army boot camp mid-June, have to travel cross country to see him (flying 5 people would've cost two arms and three legs, so we're driving instead, 22+ hours each way). Thinking I'll take that entire week off from the gym, just record what I eat. Even that won't be ideal, as it'll be eating out rather than home cooked, but I'll make it work for the chance to see my boy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Nothing much energetic over the weekend, beyond some yard/garden work. Today, my last physical therapy session (this round!), and a good row.

The row was in bow of the quad, for the usual just under 7k. The group wanted some power pieces, so we did multiple rounds of power 10s on the downriver side of the loop, at times when I had a clear sight-line for safety, adding up to a reasonable interval workout. (I've mentioned that bow steers. Bow also calls commands for other stuff, such as when to start and stop power intervals.) It's Spring, conditioning's uneven in the group after Winter, so we're doing 10 strokes power with a reasonable moderate steady state recovery between.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @DiscusTank5, thanks for the opportunity to vicariously experience a bit of your race day, and congratulations on your accomplishment: Ten minutes improvement since the last one is great!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Indeed, @DiscusTank5. Heck, anybody simply finishing one of these types of races gets my nod of admiration. I would be worthless after the swim portion, but that's supposed to be the easy start of the race! lol
  • nossmf
    Options
    Made it to my lower body power day in the weight room today, featuring 5x5 deadlifts.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Got out for a nice midweek ride with 2 friends. Covered 29 miles in just under two hours. Nice easy 15mph pace through a largely wooded route. We saw several large club groups of cyclists out tonight. Mild temps and long hours of daylight made it a perfect night to ride.

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    ] Heck, anybody simply finishing one of these types of races gets my nod of admiration. I would be worthless after the swim portion, but that's supposed to be the easy start of the race! lol

Thanks @nossmf. The swim is the shortest for sure, but easiest--I don't know. In the Tri world it is known as the most feared section, wouldn't you say @Djproulx ? The bike is in the middle for a reason. You can sometimes get a little break on a downhill, but in swimming and running you are putting out major effort at every moment. That's my experience, anyway.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I had a theory that I was going to fit in a bike ride around some other stuff today, but I didn't make that work. So, just a casual walk with a friend for a couple of miles . . . very pleasant, not really "a workout".

Cancelled rowing tomorrow due to wind speed, so maybe bike ride tomorrow, we'll see.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Felt a twinge in my back during my first set of KB swings.

I am 51 so I dropped the bell and walked away.

Live to fight another day...

Funny about that. I have been dealing with back pain for maybe 35 years. Maybe more. I had a nice respite for the last five or ten years, and that's been really nice. Lately it's started to bug me again. I was scheduled to row a raft to help with a river clean-up last week. I was worried I'd be unable to row. Well, rowing made my back feel much better. It was the medicine I needed.

It's wise to know what things will help and what things might hurt more. Picking up things is probably good medicine for me, but I don't want to be flat out for over a week EVER AGAIN. Good decision you made there.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Felt a twinge in my back during my first set of KB swings.

I am 51 so I dropped the bell and walked away.

Live to fight another day...

Funny about that. I have been dealing with back pain for maybe 35 years. Maybe more. I had a nice respite for the last five or ten years, and that's been really nice. Lately it's started to bug me again. I was scheduled to row a raft to help with a river clean-up last week. I was worried I'd be unable to row. Well, rowing made my back feel much better. It was the medicine I needed.

It's wise to know what things will help and what things might hurt more. Picking up things is probably good medicine for me, but I don't want to be flat out for over a week EVER AGAIN. Good decision you made there.

Best lesson I've learned is how to listen to my body. It's been trial and error but lesson learned none the less...
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    17 min. tempo (nice 'n easy) swim this morning. Still feeling the after-effects of my race Sunday. Otherwise, I've taken a few walks this week but nothing else.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I've posted...

I've been keeping up with 3x elliptical per week at about 40-ish minutes each time. I've also found that I tend to go a bit faster when I play music instead of watching YouTube. :)

I've tried to increase the strength training to 3x per week, but haven't been able to be as consistent with that. I manage 2x per week for sure, and just listen to my body for the 3rd day to avoid injury. It's heavy garden season, so sometimes that 3rd "workout" comes in the form of yard work.

Anyhoo... I'm still around and still going. I just don't post as much. Glad to see you are all still keeping up on the working out!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Rowing cancellation this morning (because of wind forecast) turned out to be the right call.

Bunch of stuff to do today, but I got in a bike ride starting shortly before 5PM, just over 25 miles at average moving speed of 10.7 mph. The wind was strong enough at times to . . . have an effect, in various ways depending on the relative direction. Not too bad, just noticeable.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    ] Heck, anybody simply finishing one of these types of races gets my nod of admiration. I would be worthless after the swim portion, but that's supposed to be the easy start of the race! lol

Thanks @nossmf. The swim is the shortest for sure, but easiest--I don't know. In the Tri world it is known as the most feared section, wouldn't you say @Djproulx ? The bike is in the middle for a reason. You can sometimes get a little break on a downhill, but in swimming and running you are putting out major effort at every moment. That's my experience, anyway.

@DiscusTank5 - I tend to agree. Most people thinking about doing a triathlon can bike a little and run a little, but far fewer have a swimming background. And most events include an open water swim - that is the BIG fear inducing factor, IMO. Not simply because of the need to swim the distance continuously, but also due to fear of contact with other swimmers(kicked, goggles knocked off, etc.). Finally, there's the fear of the unknown in open water(ocean creatures, waves, currents, etc.) that many folks don't want to endure. Of those who are great swimmers, typically the bike or the run is where they need work. The podium finishers are good at all three disciplines, as well as pacing and nutrition.

• Djproulx
    Options
    Pool swim today with a bit of endurance work. Usual 600yd warmup done as 2swim,2kick,2pull, then main set of 1x500, 2x100, 1x500 on 15sec rest. 1800 yds total.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Wednesday morning I got in my weekly cardio session, an hour on the elliptical doing hills. But while my exercise habits stayed good, my nutrition for the day went to pieces on account of my daughter graduating high school. We celebrated in the morning with cinnamon rolls, then just as I was thinking about lunch my daughter said it was time to drive across town to the city auditorium where the ceremony would be held. I naively thought it was an early afternoon ceremony, I would just have a late lunch or early dinner and snack something before bed, but nope. Between ceremony rehearsal, plus musical presentations, plus speeches, plus 493 kids being honored one at a time, plus stopping at the store to get last second supplies, plus driving across town, plus actually cooking dinner upon return home...didn't actually eat my home grilled burgers until almost 8pm. Could definitely tell my blood sugar was running as low as my attitude.

Anyway, with going so light on calories yesterday while I'm trying to bulk, not cut, today I had zero reservations about eating larger than normal. Only 200 calories over (compared to 600+ under yesterday), but still.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Oh, and today was upper body hypertrophy day in the weight room.