What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AppleFitnessfan
    AppleFitnessfan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    30 minute walk outdoors in the morning before the temp hit 95 degrees. Going to the Y this evening to do some Rowing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    Options
    Rowed bow (so me steering/calling commands) in the quad, with 3 other experienced rowers. It was hot (90F + eventually, maybe a little lower than that as we rowed) so we did "focus 10s" instead of "power 10s" (the more intense interval workout focus).

The idea is to take 10 strokes all 4 rowers focusing on one technical reminder. After each, we take 10 or so strokes to integrate all the previous focuses. It can be lots of stuff for each focus, but some we did today were relaxed fingers coming into the catch (when the oar engages the water), early square-up of the blades before the catch, separating the legs/body/arms in that order during the drive (when the oars are in the water, i.e., power phase) to be long through the water, and more.

We had a quad and a single out, so we also kept the single in sight most of the time as a safety measure - not going for power (speed) helped with that.

Later, at home, I did a little light yard work, moving a ladder around to cut some low-hanging maple tree branches overhead that had been scraping my car roof (a little) and delivery/service trucks (a lot). Also finally got out the hoses, watered annuals and some potted perennials, drip-irrigated some ornamentals, and that kind of nonsense.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I took a 75 minute bike ride today with a stop at my local coffee shop after an hour of biking. A nice way to start off a lazy Saturday.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Shorter, higher intensity ride is planned for tomorrow to mimic next Sunday's Oly distance bike split.

So you have an Olympic distance race next Sunday? When is your HIM? Can't wait to hear your race report!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Oly prep ride today. Five of us went out for 26 miles. I must have had too much caffeine this morning, because I came out of the gate a bit hot (21mph) and got scolded by the crew, lol. Then I missed a turn and added a couple miles to the route. It all worked out fine, though, since I cut out the last little section to kept our mileage at 26, with an average speed of 17mph. Once off the bike, two of us threw on running shoes and did an easy paced twenty minute transition run at 10:00/mile.

@DiscusTank5 - Yes, a bunch of us are traveling from Ct to Cape May, NJ for the Escape the Cape Olympic and Sprint distance triathlon on Sunday. Cape May is lovely. It will be a fun beach weekend with a race thrown in as a bonus. Jumping off the ferry will be a highlight. Outgoing tide should make the swim somewhat easier and the bike section will be fast and flat. Run includes some beach sand stretches so that'll slow us down. Regarding the HIM, My longest race this season is the Ironman 70.3 Musselman on July 9th in Geneva, NY on Seneca Lake. This is dairy farm country. Swim in the north end of the lake should be fairly calm, with the bike and run courses being fairly mild in terms of elevation. Will see how it works out.

I raced the south end of Seneca lake last year (Clash Endurance Watkins Glen) and the 3ft rolling waves were enough to cause a number of DNF's right at the start. That swim took me 59 minutes!! The bike course was also very daunting, (though I love hilly bike courses) and the run on the Formula 1 race track was super hot. I raced the swim/bike sections and had a fast guy run for me as a relay team. We took first in the relay, my only podium finish, mostly thanks to his 7:35 min/mile 10 mile run, lol.

The race got highly critical feedback from the Pros that raced it and will not be held there this year.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    Yesterday after my graveyard shift I hit the gym for upper body hypertrophy work, figuring since the weights were lower I'd be fine. About halfway through I realized I should've just gone home for sleep and did my workout today instead. Got er done, but didn't feel that productive.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,277 Member
    Options
    Similar to yesterday: We had a double and a quad out, I rowed bow in the quad (with a slightly different lineup of other rowers today), called technical-focus pieces instead of power pieces because it was so stinkin' hot and humid on the water.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Three of us went out for a 70 minute trail run, complete with another trip and fall by me, lol. Soft landing, so no issues.

This is a race week, so I'll maintain my normal training routine through Thursday, then head south on Friday.
  • carolinepowell885
    carolinepowell885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    aaaaand I did spoilers wrong 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • nossmf
    Options
    @carolinepowell885, it's because you used the ( ) symbols (shift-9/0) instead of the [ ] symbols (located right of the P key).
  • nossmf
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday, which the last several years meant I headed to the gym to test my 1RM numbers on the key-3 (bench press, squat, deadlift). But because it was a Sunday, I instead spent the day chilling on my bed binge-watching TV with my wife. I can use online calculators to extrapolate what my 1RM is based on the weights used during my workouts, and the total is still above the 1k mark at BW 190, so I'll call it a win and skip the actual testing this year.

Today was upper body power day, which after a good night's sleep went quite well. Yet it's still a mite humbling when the guy at the bench press station next to you is lifting literally a hundred pounds heavier than what you're using, lol.
    Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Bench Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated DB Overhead Press <superset> DB Shrugs 3x8
    Preacher Curl <superset> Cable Pushdown 3x10

@carolinepowell885 I'm exhausted simply looking at the list of moves you did in a single workout!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Read the last few pages. You all are crushing it!

I'm feeling much better now but not very fit at the moment. Did a 4 X 2K today (rowing machine) with 4 minute recoveries. This was at lunch after a fairly hard lift this morning, so good day. HR got up to 95 or 96% max on the row intervals. That's the highest I've seen it in years, but I didn't feel terrible. Times were slow (around 2:15 average pace), but I didn't ever feel that horrid, so I guess that's progress!

I've actually increased the intensity of my Monday/Friday lifts now, so that may challenge me a bit too.

Going night swimming tonight with the wife. Just mostly splashing around, not real exercise.
  • nossmf
    Options
    That depends if you're able to stand on the bottom, such as in a lap pool. If you have to tread water to breathe, it counts as exercise to me, regardless if you actually do any proper "swimming."
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Got in a 30 min run this morning, in warmer weather than I'd like. (My ideal is running in 45 F but that's hard to come by in June in Arkansas :).