What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Cashews on pizza is a delicacy hubs and I must have missed when we visited WA last year...can't say I'm terribly disappointed, though...

(Apologies if this has come up already but I'm not reading back through 170 pages) I must be the only person alive that bought a spiralizer because I like zucchini and not because I'm looking for a lOw CaRb pAsTa sUbStiTutE. No one ever talks about making zoodles because zucchini is tasty, no one spiralizes cucumbers for cucumber salad just to shake things up, nope, it's all about avoiding tEh EviL CaRbS.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,954 Member
    Cashews on pizza is a delicacy hubs and I must have missed when we visited WA last year...can't say I'm terribly disappointed, though...

(Apologies if this has come up already but I'm not reading back through 170 pages) I must be the only person alive that bought a spiralizer because I like zucchini and not because I'm looking for a lOw CaRb pAsTa sUbStiTutE. No one ever talks about making zoodles because zucchini is tasty, no one spiralizes cucumbers for cucumber salad just to shake things up, nope, it's all about avoiding tEh EviL CaRbS.

To be fair, how one slices, dices, or otherwise cuts up one's veggies is not a very lively topic for conversation. Cutting zukes in spirals instead of matchsticks (say) is a convenience, but it's hard to frame as revolutionary or life changing. Not conversationally fascinating.

Add that (some, silly) people will think of us as wingnuts if we do it just to eat tasty veg, when everyone knows it's for cutting out evil carbs by sacrificing foods we enjoy, in the epic dietary battle of Good vs. Evil. In that frame, veggies are kinda icky, but dutiful. Only the low-carb ones, though. 🙄

And I'd definitely eat the cashews on pizza (might try it at home sometime). I'd skip the pepperoni . . . mostly because vegetarian, but also as someone who's been veg for a long time, there are limits to how much mouth-coating melty but congealable fat I want on my pizza (or anything else). The mouth feel is not pleasant, to me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    I used zucchini at times in lieu of pasta when I had no interest in how high my carbs were (although I didn't mind it was a bit of a calorie savings -- it's great with pesto which of course can be quite high cal), and same with spaghetti squash. I love zucchini, but usually don't spiralize it because I think it tastes as good chopped the normal way, and spiralizing is fussier than I like unless there's some reason to do it for a specific dish.

I make cucumber salad too, but have never seen one that required spirals.
  • BlobE1
    BlobE1 Posts: 4 Member
    I hate the texture of pasta and noodles, it's just rubber slime. I don't understand why someone would eat cheese for the taste. Oh, and eggs suck.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I think olives are a great snack
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I think olives are a great snack

it's been awhile since I've had an olive (🤨)...but olives are super delicious (just not those nasty canned ones!)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Olives are yummy but now that I have had kidney stones I can't eat them anymore (they're high in oxalates)
  • lemurcat2
    Olives are a favorite of mine. I don't think of them as a snack (since I don't snack), but I use them in cooking a lot or just have them on a salad.
  • AnnPT77

Guy around here who makes great wood-fired brick oven pizza has an appetizer now that's PB&J on pizza crust, *with cheese*. He gave me a sample when he was first experimenting with the idea. I wouldn't have thought it, but it was good: The warm peanut butter and warm jelly on his excellent pizza crust (Detroit style), with the added richess of good mozzarella? Transportingly good, in fact. I don't know how much of it I could eat, because it's really, really rich. But sooo good.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 151 Member
    Chocolate cake is disgusting.
    Dark chocolate is the worst.
    I prefer instant mashed potatoes to real.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member

A pizza base is just bread. Why not? In the summer at the beach in Italy, we have a place that makes pizza bianca (white pizza--plain pizza crust with salt and olive oil) and in the afternoon they spread Nutella on it and cut it into rectangles. There is a long line starting at 4 until 7 in the evening to pick it up.
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2020
    It's the peanut butter with tomato sauce and cheese that swicks me out, so without those elements it would be hypothetically fine, but not interesting to me. Hmm. Thai pizza with a peanut sauce and peanuts is a thing (my parents used to love it and I've tasted it and it was fine), and that has cheese, and I've made a stew inspired by an African peanut stew with peanut butter and tomatoes, so I could be being close-minded here.

I like peanut butter but hate peanut butter sandwiches, so this also could be my own weird food things getting in the way.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    Yuck I could not do peanut butter with tomato sauce. I’m not a fan of peanut butter in savory dishes.

Panera is overrated and over priced.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Yuck I could not do peanut butter with tomato sauce. I’m not a fan of peanut butter in savory dishes.

I too could imagine not liking pb on a traditional tomato sauced pizza. However I love other savory recipes using pb - like the dipping sauce you have with Thai salad rolls/African pb stew/Satays/Thai inspired pizzas (yes...pizza - but it sauced with a ginger/pb/tamari sauce...) Veggie pad Thai (yum!)
  • lemurcat2
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I too could imagine not liking pb on a traditional tomato sauced pizza. However I love other savory recipes using pb - like the dipping sauce you have with Thai salad rolls/African pb stew/Satays/Thai inspired pizzas (yes...pizza - but it sauced with a ginger/pb/tamari sauce...) Veggie pad Thai (yum!)

Yes, agree.
  • AnnPT77
    FWIW, the local PB&J one has cheese (I think just mozzarella, though not sure), but not tomato sauce.
    s568672752928127835_p12_i2_w1920.jpeg
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 233 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, the local PB&J one has cheese (I think just mozzarella, though not sure), but not tomato sauce.

That looks awesome. A favorite childhood breakfast of mine was my dad's concoction of peanut butter and blue cheese on an English muffin.
  • pancakerunner
    edited December 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That looks awesome. A favorite childhood breakfast of mine was my dad's concoction of peanut butter and blue cheese on an English muffin.

that acrually sounds like a brilliant combo ... perhaps with a drizzle of honey??
  • pancakerunner

PREACH
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    I hate Ghirardelli
  • pancakerunner
    I hate Ghirardelli

I don't HATE their products, but there are definately better chocolates
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but they've been in business for a long time so I guess people like it...

Boston Pizza is too expensive for the poor food quality they offer. Anyone who says "no such thing as bad pizza" must never had their pizza.
  • pancakerunner
    Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but they've been in business for a long time so I guess people like it...

Boston Pizza is too expensive for the poor food quality they offer. Anyone who says "no such thing as bad pizza" must never had their pizza.

I've only had their food once in Toronto a while back
  • lemurcat2
    Never had Boston Pizza, but there are plenty of mediocre pizza chains where the pizza is not worth the cals, IMO.
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Never had Boston Pizza, but there are plenty of mediocre pizza chains where the pizza is not worth the cals, IMO.

On that note, I actually LIKE papa john's even though it is usually ranked one of the worst
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 151 Member
    Boston Pizza is the worst. Papa John’s is only ok. I had it for the first time the other night. I wouldn’t get it again. Our local place is better. Homemade is best.
  • douglaslaw1
    douglaslaw1 Posts: 1 Member
    I had a phase as a teen where, after loving chocolate for years, the thought of it made me deathly nauseous. Happily - or tragically - I got over that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

On that note, I actually LIKE papa john's even though it is usually ranked one of the worst

Never had that either, although I've never heard anything good about it (I tend to dislike most chain pizzas, so probably wouldn't be a fan -- I think we might be inclined to like what we had as kids, as I would like to try Round Table again, which I haven't had for 30 years).