What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very unpopular opinion but not about the taste of food.

I think it's kind of gross/inappropriate to snack/eat throughout the day at your work desk. I know, I know, people have different needs and busy jobs and whatever else. But to me, the grazing while working is kind of nasty even if you have a private office and keep it clean. I just would rather not see peoples' snacks except in a designated breakroom. I'm sure part of this opinion comes from my earliest jobs in retail when even a bottle of water was frowned upon. But I have worked in offices with people (usually dieting) who constantly had food all over their desks and spent a good amount of time preparing and heating food and carrying it around with them, to meetings even, and I just found it nasty.

The break room at my office, like many at other employers, has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, water dispenser and no table. So basically your stance would be that no one at my office or many others like it should ever bring their lunch and/or snacks. That is an unpopular opinion. Packing a lunch to be able to plan what you eat is probably one of the most common suggestions made at mfp. On top of that, I am an hourly contract employee. Leaving to find some other place to eat would cost me money and/or time.

I've never seen a break room without tables... Why don't you guys get a folding card table or something?

My previous employee was very strict - no food at our desks. Granted, we had an open showroom with customers wandering around, so we always had to look professional.

But, if you have a private office/cubicle and you're not working in an environment where customers are coming in and out, then I don't see an issue with eating a meal at your desk. However, I think grazing at your desk all day is a bit unprofessional, unless due to medical necessity. You go to work to work. Get your work done and then eat.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

I think it's kind of gross/inappropriate to snack/eat throughout the day at your work desk. I know, I know, people have different needs and busy jobs and whatever else. But to me, the grazing while working is kind of nasty even if you have a private office and keep it clean. I just would rather not see peoples' snacks except in a designated breakroom. I'm sure part of this opinion comes from my earliest jobs in retail when even a bottle of water was frowned upon. But I have worked in offices with people (usually dieting) who constantly had food all over their desks and spent a good amount of time preparing and heating food and carrying it around with them, to meetings even, and I just found it nasty.

The break room at my office, like many at other employers, has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, water dispenser and no table. So basically your stance would be that no one at my office or many others like it should ever bring their lunch and/or snacks. That is an unpopular opinion. Packing a lunch to be able to plan what you eat is probably one of the most common suggestions made at mfp. On top of that, I am an hourly contract employee. Leaving to find some other place to eat would cost me money and/or time.

I've never seen a break room without tables... Why don't you guys get a folding card table or something?

In our "break room" there's no room for a table, it's a long alcove that runs between 2 corridors - 2 fridges, hot water station, 2 microwaves, 2 sandwich toasters all on a very long bench. if you stand at the bench you can touch the wall behind you with one arm only. It's also a "throughway" between the corridors so if you are making coffee or heating your lunch someone has to squeeze behind you to get to the fridge or to the other corridor. And this is a government department!
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is disgusting. Even the smell is disgusting. Unfortunately my family love it so it's always in the fridge in summer.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Our breakroom is a small room with a small table. There are about 3 people who regularly eat on it (none have private offices, 2 like to eat together and one likes to eat alone and watch stuff on her phone). If more tried to eat there there wouldn't be room. Those employees have set schedules with a lunch break, whereas the people with offices do not and often work long hours.

Personally, I prefer to eat at my desk (if I get a call I won't miss it and I can surf the internet or the like) except on the rare occasions I meet up with a friend for lunch, and it's a private office so I can't see how anyone else even notices, I shut my door. I personally don't eat between meals but if someone was snacking while working in a private office it wouldn't bug me. I wouldn't even know.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I've worked for a major corporation for a number of years at several locations. None had "break rooms" The locations had cafeterias but many people ate at their desks because 10+ hour days are common and most people want don't want to waste time sitting in a cafeteria. Would much rather work and get out at a decent time.

When I worked for a larger employer there was a cafeteria. Now, at a smaller employer there's no cafeteria, but a small breakroom (with coffee/tea, refrigerator, small table, water cooler). My larger employer also had an area with refrigerator, coffee, water dispenser, but no table.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Welp, I stand correctly. Clearly many places don't have break rooms.

I still think it's fine to eat at your desk as long as it doesn't interfere with work and productivity. I used to have a co-worker who ate at his desk all day. Bags of chips, string cheese, little juice bottles, protein bars, peanuts, popcorn. He had a whole stash in his credenza. Upper management used to yell at him to stop eating and start selling. His grazing habit only came in handy once- I had a customer who kept wanting to leave because it was late, she was tired and hungry and needed to eat. I pulled her over to his snack cabinet, let her choose some snacks, closed the deal and made an extra 3500 in profit.

Several of my jobs involved working in an offices attached to million+ sq ft manufacturing facilities. People learned real fast to bring whatever they wanted to eat every day and not store items in the desk, credenza, etc. It's not uncommon to hear a scream when someone discovers a mouse eating the string cheese (or whatever, they're not very picky) in storage.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    I genuinely think subway makes the best subs and people always look at me sideways when I tell them how much I love subway 😂

I feel like that with Chipotle. I don't eat meat at home, really, and rarely eat chicken at all but I love a burrito bowl with chicken or steak from Chipotle. No one I know understands the appeal!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Back when I worked, I spent most of my career working at a university. We had no break room. It was just a table with a coffee machine on it and a small refrigerator tucked into a corner of the file room. The fax machine was at the other end of the table from the coffee machine. Life in the '80's!

Everyone ate lunch at their desks.

LOL. I work at a university in the '10s, and we don't have tables in our break room! There would be no room for one. It's set up as a type of galley kitchen, and three people can barely stand in it at the same time. Everyone eats in their offices.