What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's quite common in my open plan office to have snacks at the desk. We don't have designated break rooms either, the mini fridge is in each open plan setting. The microwaves are downstairs at the entrance. I can honestly say it doesn't bother me in the least if people snack all day at their desk, don't think I even notice.

I hate to think my fruit and go ahead bars that I eat in between meals at my desk would be judged as a nasty habit...but then again, you can't please them all! :smile:

Back on topic though, I don't think there's a point where pasta or rice are overcooked...it's all good to me!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    I genuinely think subway makes the best subs and people always look at me sideways when I tell them how much I love subway 😂

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 20 years ago and have no dog in this fight but as a native born Philadelphian I just... can't.

I grew up eating Philly hoagies prepared at a deli with fresh crusty rolls and cannot imagine that any chain sandwich would even come anywhere near being anything other than a pale imitation.

Speaking of being a native of Philly here's my unpopular food opinion: cheeze whiz is an abomination on cheese steaks. Again, I have no dog in this fight, but that nonsense being the cheese topping is something new and was never the cheese that was traditionally on cheesesteaks for years and years.

I am shocked that people would even do that - take a cheese whiz on a cheese steak sandwich. I am also dogless in this fight as I don't eat fellow mammals any more, but the few times I eat cheese whiz it's on wheat thins or similar crackers. An unpopular opinion is that on those rare occasions, I do enjoy that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I genuinely think subway makes the best subs and people always look at me sideways when I tell them how much I love subway 😂

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 20 years ago and have no dog in this fight but as a native born Philadelphian I just... can't.

I grew up eating Philly hoagies prepared at a deli with fresh crusty rolls and cannot imagine that any chain sandwich would even come anywhere near being anything other than a pale imitation.

Speaking of being a native of Philly here's my unpopular food opinion: cheeze whiz is an abomination on cheese steaks. Again, I have no dog in this fight, but that nonsense being the cheese topping is something new and was never the cheese that was traditionally on cheesesteaks for years and years.

I am shocked that people would even do that - take a cheese whiz on a cheese steak sandwich. I am also dogless in this fight as I don't eat fellow mammals any more, but the few times I eat cheese whiz it's on wheat thins or similar crackers. An unpopular opinion is that on those rare occasions, I do enjoy that.

I'm a vegetarian on top of the gluten restrictions, so there's that too!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    lalee115 wrote: »
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Nutter Butter > Oreo

Nutter Butter=Oreo

I just can't stand that filling in an original Oreo. Reminds me of toothpaste. ;)

I'm so-so on the original Oreo cookies. I would much rather have the lemon, mint, or brownie batter ones.

I can take or leave an original Oreo. Now the Golden Oreos... yum!

I don't like the original ones, but the Golden ones are so good.

I also really love the new pistachio cream thin Oreos.

Original oreos taste bitter to me, not a fan.
    Also Hershey's chocolate sucks, all of it.
  • MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oreos taste like stale, cheap biscuits
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Of office break rooms and desk eating... Our break room has a huge conference table that never gets used unless we have a potluck. If I don't leave for lunch, I eat at my desk while surfing the net. I don't feel like engaging in small talk with other people who wander in for coffee or to heat up their own food. Thankfully most of my officemates feel the same. All hail the introvert :tongue:

I don't leave stinky food trash in my office wastebasket, and I don't slop food all around. I had no idea eating at one's desk was such a polarizing issue! I also keep a stash of string cheese in the fridge and almonds at my desk for afternoon snacked. One lady who used to work here kept a whole drawer full of crackers, packaged cookies, etc., that eventually attracted a mouse to take up to residence in it. I draw the line at hosting rodents.

I eat at my desk because I can't eat around my coworkers without getting critiqued. I eat salad, I must be on a diet. No I just like salad because it's easy and I don't get drowsy afterwards. I ate soup out of an old Talenti container and got asked why I was eating ice cream for lunch. Hello the container is clear, see the veggies?

The other department on my floor is jealous of our office. We have a mini fridge, toaster, and Keurig, which my office paid for. We buy our own supplies for it and snacks. The sniping gets annoying. But someone in their department got caught eating chicken wings at their desk during work hours. Very awkward.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I don't like butter on vegetables. I think it ruins the taste of them.

YES! All I taste is butter and not the veggies. I hate when people add butter to veggies and ruin them. I love to be able to taste the actual veggies.

Also so many people in my family add butter to veggies and then think you can still eat "all you want" because they are "veggies", lol. Drives me nuts!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

YES! All I taste is butter and not the veggies. I hate when people add butter to veggies and ruin them. I love to be able to taste the actual veggies.

Also so many people in my family add butter to veggies and then think you can still eat "all you want" because they are "veggies", lol. Drives me nuts!

I haven't completely lost my taste for butter but after cutting back I found it is something that I really don't care much about. In my family, it was a lot like the bad habit of salting things before even tasting them, which we commonly did. Butter was passed around and you put a little on pretty much anything that would melt it. No one in my immediate family was big; maybe technically a little overweight at most. We were pretty active and didn't over eat except on special occasions. Most nights there was no dessert. But when there was, it was usually pretty rich.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

As a South Jersey (right over the bridge-lol) Celiac, I heartily agree with you about the cheese wiz on cheesesteaks! I’ve been gluten free since 2005 but fondly remember the delicious cheesesteaks from Gino’s (real provolone).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2018
    Options

As a South Jersey (right over the bridge-lol) Celiac, I heartily agree with you about the cheese wiz on cheesesteaks! I’ve been gluten free since 2005 but fondly remember the delicious cheesesteaks from Gino’s (real provolone).

Hi neighbor! I'm also currently in South Jersey. And yes, I agree. Provolone is the only cheese that belongs on a cheesesteak!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2018
    Options

I haven't completely lost my taste for butter but after cutting back I found it is something that I really don't care much about. In my family, it was a lot like the bad habit of salting things before even tasting them, which we commonly did. Butter was passed around and you put a little on pretty much anything that would melt it. No one in my immediate family was big; maybe technically a little overweight at most. We were pretty active and didn't over eat except on special occasions. Most nights there was no dessert. But when there was, it was usually pretty rich.

There are some things a tiny amount of butter enhances the flavor of (like cooking scrambled eggs in a tiny bit of butter), but I've never been a big fan. I actually prefer olive oil.

I think I was traumatized as a child. My mother LOVED butter to a ridiculous degree and ate ridiculous amounts of it. She was never really overweight until she got much older, but anyway... her butter consumption was just gross. And it just looked disgusting. She'd just lay out slabs of it along the top of a piece of bread, tile-like and chow down on it. :::shudder::: Oil slicks of big globs of it melting on her pancakes. Her baked potatoes looked like more butter than potato. Thankfully, she didn't serve the family veggies with the butter already on them, she added it to her own serving in her own ridiculous amounts.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    The chicken planks at Long John Silver's are criminally underrated. I know, I know... why are you ordering chicken at Long John Silver's? Wait, why are you eating at Long John Silver's?!!! I don't care if they're deep fried in motor oil, they are really tasty.

I ONLY order chicken at LJS! And I dip it in tartar sauce. My husband thinks it's SO gross. I don't care!