What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    There is no need to put butter on pancakes. No need. Yuck.

I dont like PB&J. Peanut butter on bread or jelly on bread is good, but not together.

i make peanut butter bread and put homemade strawberry jam on it.

See that sounds good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Can we judge in here because....not liking oreos??? No point to chocolate milk??? I just died a little inside. :(

Oreos are a very boring cookie.

Chocolate milk makes me sick. I'd much rather eat a chocolate bar.

I don't get drinking chocolate milk with a meal, which was mostly what I saw as a kid -- other kids buying chocolate milk with their lunches, or friends having chocolate milk with lunch or dinner at home. The idea of drinking something chocolatey and sweet to wash down your meatloaf or tuna casserole was just absolutely gross to me. And if it's not as part of a meal, there are so many tastier treats than chocolate milk.

As a kid, I always got chocolate milk in the school cafeteria because the regular milk was a different brand and smelled smoky to me (?) Anyway I would eat my lunch with no beverage and then drink the chocolate milk afterward like a dessert...for that very reason. It was (is) so gross eating pizza or chicken/noodles and vegetables with chocolate milk as the beverage.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Can we judge in here because....not liking oreos??? No point to chocolate milk??? I just died a little inside. :(

Oreos are a very boring cookie.

Chocolate milk makes me sick. I'd much rather eat a chocolate bar.

I don't get drinking chocolate milk with a meal, which was mostly what I saw as a kid -- other kids buying chocolate milk with their lunches, or friends having chocolate milk with lunch or dinner at home. The idea of drinking something chocolatey and sweet to wash down your meatloaf or tuna casserole was just absolutely gross to me. And if it's not as part of a meal, there are so many tastier treats than chocolate milk.

But you're so wrong on Oreos. Of course, they should be dunked in coffee.

I was an oddball as a child. Other kids bought chocolate milk or fruit juice during recess, and I bought tomato juice. I suspect the reason they kept selling it is because I kept buying it haha. I didn't like chocolate milk and still don't (it tastes kind of grainy and heavy). If I had to get flavored milk it was strawberry milk.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Turkey is my favorite meat and the thing I missed most as a vegetarian.

Skinless lean chicken breast is a close second.
  • MaryContrary1972
    MaryContrary1972 Posts: 58 Member
    Haggis is food of the gods
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Haggis is food of the gods

Score one for atheism!

Makes me glad to be a mere mortal also, so I don't have to eat that.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    There is no need to put butter on pancakes. No need. Yuck.

I dont like PB&J. Peanut butter on bread or jelly on bread is good, but not together.

I agree with not putting butter on pancakes.

I used to agree with you about the PB&J as well, but we always got it with grape jelly as kids and I hated that. Since trying it with strawberry jam, I like them now. :)

I used to put butter on pancakes since I hated maple syrup. Not sure why I disliked it? I can eat foods with maple now, but not sure how I'd feel about maple syrup on pancakes. My niece put cookie butter on her pancakes a few times & seemed to enjoy it.

As a kid I hated baked beans (think it's the sauce) & also found Spaghetti-O's revolting (again think it's the sauce).

I loved the Chef Boyardee Spaghetti With Meatballs.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    lalabank wrote: »
    Traditional American Thanksgiving dinner is over rated. When’s the last time you went out to a nice dinner and ordered turkey?
    On the other hand in left over sandwich form it’s delicious.

Definitely! If offered both turkey & ham during Thanksgiving I'll go for the ham & maybe eat a little bit of turkey.

Stuffing is my favorite!

This might sound mean, but my grandma's pumpkin pie is seriously one of the most disgusting, revolting things ever made. My mom said before that she takes a can of pumpkin pie & basically adds no spices. I remember one Thanksgiving or Christmas my sister & I argued over who had to take it. I ended up tripping out of the suburban that year & the pie broke my fall. So in the end no one had to take it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Traditional American Thanksgiving dinner is over rated. When’s the last time you went out to a nice dinner and ordered turkey?

Definitely! If offered both turkey & ham during Thanksgiving I'll go for the ham & maybe eat a little bit of turkey.

Stuffing is my favorite!

This might sound mean, but my grandma's pumpkin pie is seriously one of the most disgusting, revolting things ever made. My mom said before that she takes a can of pumpkin pie & basically adds no spices. I remember one Thanksgiving or Christmas my sister & I argued over who had to take it. I ended up tripping out of the suburban that year & the pie broke my fall. So in the end no one had to take it.

How can anyone mess up pumpkin pie? (No spices, I guess! :lol: ) It's the easiest thing. Dump, stir, bake. I know there are fancy schmanchy recipes out there, but the one on the Libby's can has never failed me (I don't add the whole can of evaporated milk, though).
  • CarvedTones
    edited November 2018
    pinuplove wrote: »

Stuffing is my favorite!

How can anyone mess up pumpkin pie? (No spices, I guess! :lol: ) It's the easiest thing. Dump, stir, bake. I know there are fancy schmanchy recipes out there, but the one on the Libby's can has never failed me (I don't add the whole can of evaporated milk, though).

There is a lot of nostalgia tied up in recipes passed down for generations, but...
    Six of 10 people preferred the pie made with a can. Just three people preferred the pie made with fresh pumpkin.

This is one of those cases where the opinion is unpopular, even though studies back it up.
  • CarvedTones

Stuffing is my favorite!

There is a lot of nostalgia tied up in recipes passed down for generations, but...
    Six of 10 people preferred the pie made with a can. Just three people preferred the pie made with fresh pumpkin.

This is one of those cases where the opinion is unpopular, even if studies back it up.

Fresh pumpkin is a pain in the kitten and not worth the effort. I've done it before. Won't bother again.

Another general opinion people don't like to believe - in large batch factory operations, they get products they are cooking up to exactly the desired temperature and use mechanical stirring to ensure it is evenly heated. It is kept at the desired temperature for exactly the desired time. All the spices are measured with extreme accuracy. It is packaged in a hermetically sealed container that makes break down from exposure very slow. It is very difficult to match this in a consumer kitchen. When you actually go head to head, it's hard to beat factory produced food in taste tests. Comparing completely different recipes for something that just has the same general name is different.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    (Assuming we're still talking about pumpkin pie here) I've never used the canned pumpkin pie mix (presweetened and spiced). Just the canned pumpkin. Texture isn't an issue here because you want a smooth puree, but I would say many factory-prepared items lose out against home cooked for texture issues (canned soup, for example).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018

Stuffing is my favorite!

This is one of those cases where the opinion is unpopular, even if studies back it up.

Fresh pumpkin is a pain in the kitten and not worth the effort. I've done it before. Won't bother again.

Same here, and I agree.

I don't care about pumpkin pie, though -- always prefer apple this time of year, and so that's what I make.

For pumpkin's required appearance, my sister is doing a pumpkin cheesecake.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    (Assuming we're still talking about pumpkin pie here) I've never used the canned pumpkin pie mix (presweetened and spiced). Just the canned pumpkin. Texture isn't an issue here because you want a smooth puree, but I would say many factory-prepared items lose out against home cooked for texture issues (canned soup, for example).

Agree with this too.

Remember that factory-produced (if we are talking pies and cakes packaged and sold in stores) also have to be more shelf-stable and tend to use cheaper ingredients, often. I always prefer homemade to any packaged bakery items (and am sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test -- I really don't even have much of an attraction at all for packaged sweet stuff from the grocery.

Bakery items from an actual bakery or made at a good restaurant, however, are often better than I can do at home.

Sometimes a dish is beloved because it is how you've always had it, so a different version just never tastes right.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member

True, but my problem with using fresh vs. canned pumpkin for pie was exactly the opposite: The texture of the fresh pumpkin is hard to get right, not just from a pureeing standpoint, but also moisture content.
  • CarvedTones

Soup can be an example of where my head to head caveat applies; often the comparison is between very different recipes. But the texture is something factory made products often don't do as well. And with some soups, there is an ingredient or two that you don't want to put in until very near the end. There are exceptions, but a whole lot of our preferences don't hold up to blind taste testing. HFCS sweetened Coke crushes cane sugar by more than a 2 to 1 margin in blind taste tests, for example, but if you ask people their preference it goes the other way. We get some Indian food in stand up pouches that you microwave maybe a minute. Pour it over Minute jasmine rice and you will be hard pressed to beat it in a blind test with the same dish from a good restaurant. I am sure that's an unpopular opinion.