What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I don't like Cold Stone or Marble Slab or places like that because there are too many decisions to make regarding ice cream. I'm a very simple eater and don't need all your fancy schmancy topping nonsense.

The same with donuts! They don't need candy or cereal on them. If they are good enough, they don't need to be "dressed up"!

Me too. Uh, no I don't want marshmallows or gummy bears or pretzels in my ice cream. I just want ice cream! Then I feel ripped off at the cash register :tongue: It's rare, anyway (usually 'on a road trip with the kids' kind of thing).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't like Cold Stone or Marble Slab or places like that because there are too many decisions to make regarding ice cream. I'm a very simple eater and don't need all your fancy schmancy topping nonsense.

The same with donuts! They don't need candy or cereal on them. If they are good enough, they don't need to be "dressed up"!

ITA with both points. The only kind of donut worth eating is a plain glazed donut. I absolutely hate donuts with jelly or cream or any of that crap in them too. Yuck.

When I go to ice cream places like that I get plain chocolate ice cream, every time. Meanwhile everyone else is trying all these exotic flavors and toppings. No thanks.

This reminded me of more unpopular things. I don't like donuts. I mean I used to eat them, now they're never worth the calories. They're a "meh food" to me. As for popcorn, I absolutely hate sweet popcorn. It's not the taste that turns me off, it just doesn't compute. popcorn = salty, when it's sweet it's shocking as if I'm eating cotton candy... chicken?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited November 2018
    I don’t like popcorn. I don’t see why people eat it.

I feel similarly. I have always felt like popcorn was a disappointing snack even at the movies. No seasoning/toppings really help it, either, in my opinion. My dad loves those huge tins of holiday popcorn with cheese, caramel & butter (or fancier flavors) and I think they're pretty gross.

That's what you give people that you don't know what to get (read like) for Christmas. :neutral:

I've bought my niece one the past few Christmases because all she does is watch Netflix :D.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »

ITA with both points. The only kind of donut worth eating is a plain glazed donut. I absolutely hate donuts with jelly or cream or any of that crap in them too. Yuck.

When I go to ice cream places like that I get plain chocolate ice cream, every time. Meanwhile everyone else is trying all these exotic flavors and toppings. No thanks.

This reminded me of more unpopular things. I don't like donuts. I mean I used to eat them, now they're never worth the calories. They're a "meh food" to me. As for popcorn, I absolutely hate sweet popcorn. It's not the taste that turns me off, it just doesn't compute. popcorn = salty, when it's sweet it's shocking as if I'm eating cotton candy... chicken?

I'm not huge on donuts in particular, because they either sit like a rock in your stomach or leave you ravenous in 20 minutes.

Now I would try the unique donut creations, but I am not much for adding a million toppings to my ice cream unless it's plain vanilla & then maybe whipped cream or some kind of syrup would be alright.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Roasted Brussels sprouts are the best vegetable.

Sometimes I think you are my twin, separated at birth. It's not my single favorite, but I get it infrequently enough that I will have some whenever it's available. I like them cut in half, flat side up, lightly sprayed with olive oil and Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning fresh ground over them.

Speaking of Trader Joe's and Brussels sprouts, it's my favorite time of year. They're selling the whole stalks very cheaply right now.

I love the tasty suckers, but they do tend to be expensive.

Hmm, now that I have a new vegetable garden bed, maybe I will grow some Brussels sprouts next year.

/runs off to google something/

Drat, wood chucks love anything in the cabbage family >.<
  • kshama2001
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think brussels got their bad reputation from being boiled (probably to well-beyond done-ness) and ruined. Unless people are just so convinced they hate them that they won't try them, I find that my roasted and pan fried brussels tend to be popular (bacon can be added to entice the non-vegetarian reluctant too).

(My mom was convinced she hated them due to bad childhood experiences, and by the time she was older was really stuck in her food ways, so when we started having T-giving at my house she'd pretend to eat them and then try to sneakily give some to my dad (who loves them) or hide them or say they were delicious but she was just so full. I kept telling her that it would not hurt my feelings if she didn't eat everything or like every dish I made.)

Yes, I enticed my OH to eat Brussels sprouts by pan-roasting them with kielbasa.

His mother used to boil vegetables to death.
  • kshama2001
    A substantiated opinion - the case against using GMO products is complete woo. Every major health organization around the world (CDC, WHO, EUPHA, etc) endorses them as safe. Purposefully avoiding GMO products is pretty much anti-science. A lot of common products avoid them because of public perception so we end up avoiding them without trying. There are reasons to hate Monsanto's business practices with respect to GMO crops. It's a real shame; GMO crops have more yield per acre, reducing the amount of farmland that needs to be cleared. They are more tolerant of drought, increasing the food supply in some areas that need it most. They are more bug resistant, decreasing the need for pesticides that often pollute water supplies.
    pinuplove wrote: »
    A substantiated opinion - the case against using GMO products is complete woo. Every major health organization around the world (CDC, WHO, EUPHA, etc) endorses them as safe. Purposefully avoiding GMO products is pretty much anti-science. A lot of common products avoid them because of public perception so we end up avoiding them without trying. There are reasons to hate Monsanto's business practices with respect to GMO crops. It's a real shame; GMO crops have more yield per acre, reducing the amount of farmland that needs to be cleared. They are more tolerant of drought, increasing the food supply in some areas that need it most. They are more bug resistant, decreasing the need for pesticides that often pollute water supplies.

Agreed. I have zero issue with GMOs.

There is no more rational basis for having a blanket opinion about all GMOs than there is for having a blanket opinion about all possible non GMO organisms. Some will be generally safe for all people, with a very low incidence of allergies. Some will be toxic. And there will be foods that fall somewhere between those extremes.
    The process of genetically modifying something doesn't make it automatically safe to eat, anymore than the fact that something isn't genetically modified (by humans through gene manipulation) makes it safe to eat.

Please identify an example of a food that wasn't toxic before modification and is afterwards.

The CDC, WHO, EUPHA and all the other major health organizations are making evidence based scientific conclusions. IMO, trusting science is more rational than dismissing it because I don't like blanket conclusions. There is no rational basis for assuming that modification makes something unsafe to eat when there is no evidence to support that. Science rarely if ever claims 100% certainty of anything only because it is logistically impossible to ever be 100% certain. That doesn't put an unproven hypothesis that isn't based on any evidence on equal footing.

EDIT - Also, they don't just create some new GMO variant and start selling it as food without extensive testing. Mostly they are making sure there is a benefit to the modification, but they do test to make sure the food is acceptable (taste, texture and doesn't kill anyone) as well as achieving their objective (better, yield, more nutrition, higher tolerance to adverse conditions, world peace, etc).

Each GMO food is its own individual case, so having "zero issues" with GMOs is like having "zero issues" with all potential foods There is nothing magical about the GMO process that guarantees that all foods will be safe for all people. I'm perfectly happy to eat GMOs if they have been well-vetted AND if I am allowed access to information about what the modification is. I'm about basing judgments on as much information as possible, so don't try to insinuate that I'm anti-science or anti-evidence. If the evidence is there, there shouldn't be any objection to letting consumers have access to it in each case.

What if they've inserted protein-generating sequences from wheat into a tomato, and I have celiac disease?

I forget the details, but there was a GMO fish that was being brought to market, and they had subbed some gene sequences from a fish that reaches adult weight more quickly than the original fish they were modifying. I would not eat that UNTIL I was able to obtain further information about the fish they were getting the fast-growth genes from. It was a fish that was also commonly eaten by humans, so for me, it was not a concern.

Given the number of drugs that have been approved and brought to market with horrific consequences during my lifetime, due to inadequate vetting, I reserve the right to make my own judgment about each instance of something new that has been "extensively tested" (in the case of GMOs, these extensive tests appear to be on the order of a year or two, which is hardly enough to judge long-term effects).

Well said. To expand on that, sneaking a fish gene into a tomato and not labeling it does not inspire trust. (That never made it to the market, but here's an interesting read about a GMO tomato that was briefly for sale.)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I don't like butter on vegetables. I think it ruins the taste of them.

YES! All I taste is butter and not the veggies. I hate when people add butter to veggies and ruin them. I love to be able to taste the actual veggies.

Also so many people in my family add butter to veggies and then think you can still eat "all you want" because they are "veggies", lol. Drives me nuts!

I haven't completely lost my taste for butter but after cutting back I found it is something that I really don't care much about. In my family, it was a lot like the bad habit of salting things before even tasting them, which we commonly did. Butter was passed around and you put a little on pretty much anything that would melt it. No one in my immediate family was big; maybe technically a little overweight at most. We were pretty active and didn't over eat except on special occasions. Most nights there was no dessert. But when there was, it was usually pretty rich.

There are some things a tiny amount of butter enhances the flavor of (like cooking scrambled eggs in a tiny bit of butter), but I've never been a big fan. I actually prefer olive oil.

I think I was traumatized as a child. My mother LOVED butter to a ridiculous degree and ate ridiculous amounts of it. She was never really overweight until she got much older, but anyway... her butter consumption was just gross. And it just looked disgusting. She'd just lay out slabs of it along the top of a piece of bread, tile-like and chow down on it. :::shudder::: Oil slicks of big globs of it melting on her pancakes. Her baked potatoes looked like more butter than potato. Thankfully, she didn't serve the family veggies with the butter already on them, she added it to her own serving in her own ridiculous amounts.

I think your mother and I were separated at birth. I love butter.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sometimes I think you are my twin, separated at birth. It's not my single favorite, but I get it infrequently enough that I will have some whenever it's available. I like them cut in half, flat side up, lightly sprayed with olive oil and Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning fresh ground over them.

Speaking of Trader Joe's and Brussels sprouts, it's my favorite time of year. They're selling the whole stalks very cheaply right now.

Hmm, now that I have a new vegetable garden bed, maybe I will grow some Brussels sprouts next year.

I have all winter to plan my garden. We really need a garden thread wherever it would fit in.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I think brussels got their bad reputation from being boiled (probably to well-beyond done-ness) and ruined. Unless people are just so convinced they hate them that they won't try them, I find that my roasted and pan fried brussels tend to be popular (bacon can be added to entice the non-vegetarian reluctant too).

(My mom was convinced she hated them due to bad childhood experiences, and by the time she was older was really stuck in her food ways, so when we started having T-giving at my house she'd pretend to eat them and then try to sneakily give some to my dad (who loves them) or hide them or say they were delicious but she was just so full. I kept telling her that it would not hurt my feelings if she didn't eat everything or like every dish I made.)

Yes, I enticed my OH to eat Brussels sprouts by pan-roasting them with kielbasa.

I decided to make them with pancetta this Thanksgiving.

Boiling veg to death is the devil. So many people I know had this experience. ;-)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Agreed. I have zero issue with GMOs.

There is no more rational basis for having a blanket opinion about all GMOs than there is for having a blanket opinion about all possible non GMO organisms. Some will be generally safe for all people, with a very low incidence of allergies. Some will be toxic. And there will be foods that fall somewhere between those extremes.
    The process of genetically modifying something doesn't make it automatically safe to eat, anymore than the fact that something isn't genetically modified (by humans through gene manipulation) makes it safe to eat.

Please identify an example of a food that wasn't toxic before modification and is afterwards.

The CDC, WHO, EUPHA and all the other major health organizations are making evidence based scientific conclusions. IMO, trusting science is more rational than dismissing it because I don't like blanket conclusions. There is no rational basis for assuming that modification makes something unsafe to eat when there is no evidence to support that. Science rarely if ever claims 100% certainty of anything only because it is logistically impossible to ever be 100% certain. That doesn't put an unproven hypothesis that isn't based on any evidence on equal footing.

EDIT - Also, they don't just create some new GMO variant and start selling it as food without extensive testing. Mostly they are making sure there is a benefit to the modification, but they do test to make sure the food is acceptable (taste, texture and doesn't kill anyone) as well as achieving their objective (better, yield, more nutrition, higher tolerance to adverse conditions, world peace, etc).

Each GMO food is its own individual case, so having "zero issues" with GMOs is like having "zero issues" with all potential foods There is nothing magical about the GMO process that guarantees that all foods will be safe for all people. I'm perfectly happy to eat GMOs if they have been well-vetted AND if I am allowed access to information about what the modification is. I'm about basing judgments on as much information as possible, so don't try to insinuate that I'm anti-science or anti-evidence. If the evidence is there, there shouldn't be any objection to letting consumers have access to it in each case.

What if they've inserted protein-generating sequences from wheat into a tomato, and I have celiac disease?

I forget the details, but there was a GMO fish that was being brought to market, and they had subbed some gene sequences from a fish that reaches adult weight more quickly than the original fish they were modifying. I would not eat that UNTIL I was able to obtain further information about the fish they were getting the fast-growth genes from. It was a fish that was also commonly eaten by humans, so for me, it was not a concern.

Given the number of drugs that have been approved and brought to market with horrific consequences during my lifetime, due to inadequate vetting, I reserve the right to make my own judgment about each instance of something new that has been "extensively tested" (in the case of GMOs, these extensive tests appear to be on the order of a year or two, which is hardly enough to judge long-term effects).

Long winded way of saying that no, you can't identify a single instance of the issue that you are worried about. But since I can't prove the sky isn't falling I guess you might as well wear the tin foil hat for protection in case it is.

You are taking the very unscientific position that if something is produced by a particular process, it must be healthful, regardless of what ingredients were used to produce it. I think you better check your own headgear.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

I have all winter to plan my garden. We really need a garden thread wherever it would fit in.

I just built a fully enclosed raised bed thing, I'd join that thread!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member

Great 💡 idea!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018

I decided to make them with pancetta this Thanksgiving.

Boiling veg to death is the devil. So many people I know had this experience. ;-)

I didn't. I never had fresh veg (except salad, which was iceberg, of course) until I started cooking them myself. I grew up eating canned. Frozen were a big deal when my mother started buying them!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

I'd love that, because I want to learn how to.

I can't dig for one, there's far too many tree roots, but we have sun and I'm sure I could do raised beds. If I only knew how.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Can we judge in here because....not liking oreos??? No point to chocolate milk??? I just died a little inside. :(

Oreos are a very boring cookie.

Chocolate milk makes me sick. I'd much rather eat a chocolate bar.