What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I know this is a very unpopular opinion but not about the taste of food.

I think it's kind of gross/inappropriate to snack/eat throughout the day at your work desk. I know, I know, people have different needs and busy jobs and whatever else. But to me, the grazing while working is kind of nasty even if you have a private office and keep it clean. I just would rather not see peoples' snacks except in a designated breakroom. I'm sure part of this opinion comes from my earliest jobs in retail when even a bottle of water was frowned upon. But I have worked in offices with people (usually dieting) who constantly had food all over their desks and spent a good amount of time preparing and heating food and carrying it around with them, to meetings even, and I just found it nasty.

The break room at my office, like many at other employers, has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, water dispenser and no table. So basically your stance would be that no one at my office or many others like it should ever bring their lunch and/or snacks. That is an unpopular opinion. Packing a lunch to be able to plan what you eat is probably one of the most common suggestions made at mfp. On top of that, I am an hourly contract employee. Leaving to find some other place to eat would cost me money and/or time.

I've never seen a break room without tables... Why don't you guys get a folding card table or something?

In our "break room" there's no room for a table, it's a long alcove that runs between 2 corridors - 2 fridges, hot water station, 2 microwaves, 2 sandwich toasters all on a very long bench. if you stand at the bench you can touch the wall behind you with one arm only. It's also a "throughway" between the corridors so if you are making coffee or heating your lunch someone has to squeeze behind you to get to the fridge or to the other corridor. And this is a government department!

Do we work together?!? :laugh:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    In our "break room" there's no room for a table, it's a long alcove that runs between 2 corridors - 2 fridges, hot water station, 2 microwaves, 2 sandwich toasters all on a very long bench. if you stand at the bench you can touch the wall behind you with one arm only. It's also a "throughway" between the corridors so if you are making coffee or heating your lunch someone has to squeeze behind you to get to the fridge or to the other corridor. And this is a government department!

We have a long kitchen counter with the sink, coffee maker, microwave etc. all on the counter on one side of the corridor. Other side of the corridor is the bathrooms. So, yeah squeeze by the person making coffee to take a *kitten*.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Roasted Brussels sprouts are the best vegetable.

I thought I hated cauliflower until I tried it roasted with olive oil. My husband is still a bit miffed about all the cauliflower-less years he suffered through our marriage :lol:

Roasted cauliflower is truth. That's the gateway. Next try seasoning it with curry powder and a touch of tumeric. So good.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kam26001 wrote: »
    The chicken planks at Long John Silver's are criminally underrated. I know, I know... why are you ordering chicken at Long John Silver's? Wait, why are you eating at Long John Silver's?!!! I don't care if they're deep fried in motor oil, they are really tasty.

I ONLY order chicken at LJS! And I dip it in tartar sauce. My husband thinks it's SO gross. I don't care!

I do the same! It's so good! I use some malt vinegar too.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    MoHousdon wrote: »

I think it's kind of gross/inappropriate to snack/eat throughout the day at your work desk. I know, I know, people have different needs and busy jobs and whatever else. But to me, the grazing while working is kind of nasty even if you have a private office and keep it clean. I just would rather not see peoples' snacks except in a designated breakroom. I'm sure part of this opinion comes from my earliest jobs in retail when even a bottle of water was frowned upon. But I have worked in offices with people (usually dieting) who constantly had food all over their desks and spent a good amount of time preparing and heating food and carrying it around with them, to meetings even, and I just found it nasty.

You would HATE me then. I eat my breakfast (protein shake and fruit usually) and several snacks at my desk pretty much M-F. I will sometimes eat my lunch if I am extra hungry before my actual lunchtime, or if I have errands to run during lunch. I'm not a slob and there aren't crumbs or whatever all over my desk, so I don't see an issue.

This is me, too. I eat my breakfast, lunch, snacks, and sometimes dinner at my desk. I spend a minimum of ten hours a day at my desk. I see no reason to make that day any longer by taking time out to go elsewhere to eat.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »

The break room at my office, like many at other employers, has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, water dispenser and no table. So basically your stance would be that no one at my office or many others like it should ever bring their lunch and/or snacks. That is an unpopular opinion. Packing a lunch to be able to plan what you eat is probably one of the most common suggestions made at mfp. On top of that, I am an hourly contract employee. Leaving to find some other place to eat would cost me money and/or time.

I've never seen a break room without tables... Why don't you guys get a folding card table or something?

My previous employee was very strict - no food at our desks. Granted, we had an open showroom with customers wandering around, so we always had to look professional.

But, if you have a private office/cubicle and you're not working in an environment where customers are coming in and out, then I don't see an issue with eating a meal at your desk. However, I think grazing at your desk all day is a bit unprofessional, unless due to medical necessity. You go to work to work. Get your work done and then eat.

Our "kitchen" is a corner of the file room with a microwave, fridge and sink but no tables. As admin staff I am the only one in my workplace without a private office and I I sit right at the door and eat at my desk. I hate it too because clients walk in and hang right over my lunch and I do think it looks unprofessional and it interrupts my lunch - but what can you do? The only other option is to go downstairs and buy my lunch every day and that is too expensive. I think workplaces should provide a lunch area but mine doesnt so 🤷‍♀️
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I work in a very small office and there is no lunch/break room. My biggest problem is my boss has a bad habit of waiting until I'm eating my lunch and deciding to talk to me. I'm working on training him. :)
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Asparagus is disgusting
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I tried pesto for the first time yesterday and I’m not understanding the hype around it. Maybe there’s better out there but it was average to me.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I want to be part of Canadian culture by eating poutine, but gravy makes me sick.
  • OvershareUsername
    OvershareUsername Posts: 36 Member
    Dole Whip is garbage.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    I HATE ONIONS. Absolutely hate them.

I used to hate onions, then I realized onions are in like, everything. Now I love onions. I will eat just plain roasted red onion. red onion on my pizza. etc. so good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don’t like popcorn. I don’t see why people eat it.

I feel similarly. I have always felt like popcorn was a disappointing snack even at the movies. No seasoning/toppings really help it, either, in my opinion. My dad loves those huge tins of holiday popcorn with cheese, caramel & butter (or fancier flavors) and I think they're pretty gross.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    I don’t like popcorn. I don’t see why people eat it.

I feel similarly. I have always felt like popcorn was a disappointing snack even at the movies. No seasoning/toppings really help it, either, in my opinion. My dad loves those huge tins of holiday popcorn with cheese, caramel & butter (or fancier flavors) and I think they're pretty gross.

That's what you give people that you don't know what to get (read like) for Christmas. :neutral: