What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    kimny72 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    donutsmuffins are the best donuts.

FIFY.

Fixed it again.

It's almost like MFP knew how ridiculous it was and hid it in the nested quote.

Well, it is an unpopular opinions thread :sunglasses:

Didn't we talk about this like, 40 pages ago? Or was that the if it didn't have calories thread? Probably both.

Yes, my unpopular opinion is that I don't think donuts are worth the calories, ever.

My honest belief is that anyone who thinks that has clearly never had good fresh donuts. But I respect your right to be wrong, and admire you not being ashamed of your wrongness :tongue:

I like ketchup on hot dogs. If that means I have the palate of a 7 year old boy, so be it.

Mayo is disgusting, but for some reason I can stomach it in tuna salad and macaroni salad as long as there isn't, like, clumps of it. And I like ranch dressing, which makes no sense because it's basically mayo with a seasoning blend mixed in.

It's possible I just haven't tried the right one, but I don't like fried doughs in general - fried pies, beignets, fritters, and funnel cake also don't thrill me.

I think ranch dressing is vile. My dressing of choice (both on salads and as a condiment) is Caesar. Mayo is ok in small amounts, but not glopped on like many fast food restaurant seem to do.

Only mustard belongs on hot dogs, unless it's a chili dog, in which case chili and cheese are acceptable on top of the mustard, but not onions. Pickle relish is disgusting.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

FIFY.

Fixed it again.

Didn't we talk about this like, 40 pages ago? Or was that the if it didn't have calories thread? Probably both.

Yes, my unpopular opinion is that I don't think donuts are worth the calories, ever.

My honest belief is that anyone who thinks that has clearly never had good fresh donuts. But I respect your right to be wrong, and admire you not being ashamed of your wrongness :tongue:

I like ketchup on hot dogs. If that means I have the palate of a 7 year old boy, so be it.

Mayo is disgusting, but for some reason I can stomach it in tuna salad and macaroni salad as long as there isn't, like, clumps of it. And I like ranch dressing, which makes no sense because it's basically mayo with a seasoning blend mixed in.

It's possible I just haven't tried the right one, but I don't like fried doughs in general - fried pies, beignets, fritters, and funnel cake also don't thrill me.

I think ranch dressing is vile. My dressing of choice (both on salads and as a condiment) is Caesar. Mayo is ok in small amounts, but not glopped on like many fast for restaurant seem to do.

Only mustard belongs on hot dogs, unless it's a chili dog, in which case chili and cheese are acceptable on top of the mustard, but not onions. Pickle relish is disgusting.

Yeah, pickle relish is a bizarre monstrosity. And since it's rarely used, I'd bet most jars were manufactured in the 80's.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018

FIFY.

Fixed it again.

I think donuts are safer... as in an average donut will be better than an average muffin. But a really good muffin is in a class by itself. And FWIW... lemon poppy seed muffins/bread are a sleeper dessert.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Condiments are overrated. And the only reason for overrated rather than gross is because of BBQ sauce. BBQ sauce saves the entire grocery store isle.
  • pinuplove

FIFY.

Fixed it again.

I think donuts are safer... as in an average donut will be better than an average muffin. But a really good muffin is in a class by itself. And FWIW... lemon poppy seed muffins/bread are a sleeper dessert.

A bad muffin is worse than a bad donut, I'll grant you that :laugh: I won't waste calories on inferior baked goods.

Lemon is the best dessert flavor for just about anything. I have a killer recipe for lemon pound cake I haven't made in far too long because the 'pound' part of the name is far too accurate!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

FIFY.

Fixed it again.

I've had good fresh donuts - used to work somewhere that made them at breakfast, so could literally pull one off the production line warm from the fryer. Everyone thought they were good, even I thought they were good . . . for donuts. Still not worth the calories, sorry. You can eat my share.

But most commercial muffins are way too sweet, and way too oily; usually the nuts are chopped too fine (I can usually barely perceive them). I make excellent buttermilk muffins, and I'm not the only one who thinks so (basic version has walnuts and raisins, but I do variations).
  • pinuplove
    I agree it is difficult to buy a decent muffin. I'm spoiled to our own home baking! Donuts are something I'd never make at home (along with most other deep fried foods) so maybe the comparison is unfair.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Beet greens are the very tastiest greens. Red amaranth second.

I don't know whether those are unpopular opinions or not: IRL I hardly ever meet anyone who eats them.

We love beet greens and are sad when fresh beets are sold without them. Have you ever eaten lamb’s quarters? It’s a weed, but a tasty tasty weed. P
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    beaglady wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Beet greens are the very tastiest greens. Red amaranth second.

I don't know whether those are unpopular opinions or not: IRL I hardly ever meet anyone who eats them.

We love beet greens and are sad when fresh beets are sold without them. Have you ever eaten lamb’s quarters? It’s a weed, but a tasty tasty weed. P

I think I have not. I know it's edible, but haven't personally prepared it. It grows hereabouts, and I can recognize it. I'll try to make sampling it more of a priority, come Spring, since a fellow beet green lover has suggested I do so. ;) Thanks!
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Wait...hot cocoa and hot chocolate aren’t the same thing? Lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    All M&M's (except peanut butter) are not worth the calories.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member

FIFY
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member

Remember when the only options were plain, peanut, and the special edition chocolate mint that only came out at Christmas?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »

FIFY

20jnhp1j1hhm.gif

My wife once erroneously suggested peanut butter m&ms were the same as Reese Pieces and I've never been closer to divorcing her.

Because you like PB M&Ms, or because you like Reese's pieces?!?
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member

FIFY

20jnhp1j1hhm.gif

FIFY

20jnhp1j1hhm.gif

Peanut butter M&M’s are waste of peanut butter and chocolate. There! I said it!