What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    bunnyaa wrote: »
    Lobster is over rated.

My husband would agree with you and he catches them for a living. I think crab is overrated. Too much work for so little meat.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Speaking of nostalgia, I have another item for the thread - shrimp boiling. When I was young, we would visit some of my favorite older relatives in the FL panhandle and whenever there was a big family gathering (and it was whenever we were there) they would do a shrimp boil. Boiling shrimp makes some people want to retch; some people will tolerate it at best because they enjoy boiled shrimp. Very few people enjoy the odor of a shrimp boil. It stirs up a lot of emotions for me and makes me smile. Shrimp boiled with Old Bay is one of my absolute favorite foods.

My family in SC has a crab crack, or crab boil, when everyone gets together. Any leftover crab is mixed into rice or omelettes.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »
    Cooked fruit (except for berries) is disgusting.

Fruit in salad or in things like chicken/tuna salad is gross.

I hate bacon wrapped food. I love bacon, but I don't want everything else to taste like it.

Coconut is gross and has a weird texture. The smell of it makes me gag and it ticks me off that every moisturizing shampoo smells like it!

Cauliflower mash will NEVER taste like normal mashed potatoes!

Spaghetti squash is terrible.

We are completely opposite in our tastes! I do, however, agree that cauliflower mash does not taste like mashed potatoes but nonetheless it is yummy in its own right.

I wonder what accounts for taste preferences? Some preferences, I assume, are experiential or cultural but what differs in peoples' taste buds or other factors that lead to such different preferences?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I think a huge amount is experiential and cultural, but there are also natural differences in how sensitive we are to certain tastes. Some people really, really love sweet, some hate bitter, some are weird and think cilantro tastes bad (kind of kidding), etc.

There was a fun podcast I listened to on this recently: https://insitome.libsyn.com/the-genetics-of-taste
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think a huge amount is experiential and cultural, but there are also natural differences in how sensitive we are to certain tastes. Some people really, really love sweet, some hate bitter, some are weird and think cilantro tastes bad (kind of kidding), etc.

There was a fun podcast I listened to on this recently: https://insitome.libsyn.com/the-genetics-of-taste

Okay, how did you know that I am one of the 'weird' cilantro haters? - LOL

Seriously, it tastes awful to me and it literally makes me sick to my stomach. This reaction to cilantro is known to be a genetic issue. One of my sisters has the same reaction to it; however, our other siblings do not.
  • rosson
    rosson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nutella is gross
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

Hot cocoa is hot chocolate for losers.

And today I learned that hot cocoa and hot chocolate are not interchangeable/regional preference.

I make it from scratch, sometimes with cocoa powder, sometimes with melting chocolate. It just depended on what I had in the kitchen when I started pulling out the sauce pan. No matter what, you better like ground cayenne pepper or ancho chili , cinnamon, and vanilla in it if you are at my house.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

Okay, how did you know that I am one of the 'weird' cilantro haters? - LOL

Seriously, it tastes awful to me and it literally makes me sick to my stomach. This reaction to cilantro is known to be a genetic issue. One of my sisters has the same reaction to it; however, our other siblings do not.

Yeah, that's why I brought up cilantro, since it is genetic.

I love it, but my sister claims it tastes metallic and does not like it. We clearly don't taste it the same way at all.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Plain cake donuts are underappreciated.

Those are the only donuts I like.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Apple cider donuts are the best donuts.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    donutsmuffins are the best donuts.

FIFY.

Fixed it again.
  • oimullett
    oimullett Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel indifferent about Marmite
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, sweet peppers and bananas are disgusting.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,750 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    Verdenal wrote: »

Hot cocoa is hot chocolate for losers.

And today I learned that hot cocoa and hot chocolate are not interchangeable/regional preference.

I make it from scratch, sometimes with cocoa powder, sometimes with melting chocolate. It just depended on what I had in the kitchen when I started pulling out the sauce pan. No matter what, you better like ground cayenne pepper or ancho chili , cinnamon, and vanilla in it if you are at my house.

Let me know when you make a batch, I'll be right over... :p