What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ]You realize you can control that by how you make the pie, right?

IMO, a well-made, delicious pie will not have a super sweet filling.

There are a huge variety of ways to make a pecan pie (which is why I said I'm picky about them). Most are awful, but there are good ones.

Yes but a) realistically speaking, I'm not going to make a pie when there are so many desserts that are much easier to make that I actually like, b) I saw a few recipes and they all called for similar amounts of sugar, so the majority of pies that are made are probably that sweet, and c) even if there's less sugar goo in some recipes than others, it's still sugar goo and I'm not a fan of it. Overall the only thing I've ever liked about pie is the crust and I can just have a savory pie and get a similar crust plus an actually good filling.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    IMO, the best thing about pies is indeed the crust, but it's also the only particularly difficult thing about making pies. I just haven't found that most actually good pies (like from a good home cook or quality bakery or nice restaurant, not one with typical run of the mill restaurant desserts) are super sweet, IME most are not (with the exception of pecan which are mostly too sweet but can be made in other ways too). (IME, cake and brownies are more often overly sweet, although they also need not be made that way.) I do modify the amount of sugar in recipes personally sometimes, if the amount of sugar seems like it would be more than I would enjoy (making a crumble is an easy way to experiment with how much is really needed).

That said, I certainly am not trying to talk you into agreeing with me, as this is the unpopular opinion thread. I just thought pointing to a specific recipe that could be modified to say all pies are too sweet was rather unfair and not accurate.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    For those of you who hate eggnog because of the eggs and the texture, Trader Joe's has an almond nog that is VERY tasty. Thinner texture and almost tastes like the real thing (with a big emphasis on the almond, of course). I love the real thing, but this is delicious too :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited December 2018
    For those of you who hate eggnog because of the eggs and the texture, Trader Joe's has an almond nog that is VERY tasty. Thinner texture and almost tastes like the real thing (with a big emphasis on the almond, of course). I love the real thing, but this is delicious too :)

That's almost worth fighting the crowd to try. Almost. Maybe if I go by at opening. How many calories per serving and what is the serving size? I looked it up. 100 for 8 oz. Not bad.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Peanut butter isn't anything special.

Putting any kind of sweet sauce (including most bbq) or glaze on meat is gross.

Salt doesn't make anything taste sweeter. It makes it taste salty.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member

That's almost worth fighting the crowd to try. Almost. Maybe if I go by at opening. How many calories per serving and what is the serving size? I looked it up. 100 for 8 oz. Not bad.

I think you'll be happy with it :)
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    This is technically an unpopular opinion about a food-related term. I cringe every time someone refers to themselves as a "chocoholic". So, what, you're addicted to chocohol? The fact that the term clearly is a play on "alcoholic" really bothers me. I think it makes light of alcoholism.

I have no problem with people jokingly saying things like "I'm totally addicted to these cookies!", it's just specifically the term "chocoholic" that I think is unfortunate.

I actually never thought of it this way. I agree.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    admaarie wrote: »
    This is technically an unpopular opinion about a food-related term. I cringe every time someone refers to themselves as a "chocoholic". So, what, you're addicted to chocohol? The fact that the term clearly is a play on "alcoholic" really bothers me. I think it makes light of alcoholism.

I have no problem with people jokingly saying things like "I'm totally addicted to these cookies!", it's just specifically the term "chocoholic" that I think is unfortunate.

I have a similar reaction when people refer to "dolce de leche". The correct pronunciation is "dulce" (DOOL-say (or if you're Castilian, DOOL-thay)). The product is Spanish; it's spelled as a Spanish word, not an Italian one. There is no rational reason to call it "DOL-chay".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    admaarie wrote: »

I never really considered this, either. Makes sense. When I think "chocoholic" I think of people like an aunt by marriage who are seriously obsessed with chocolate. She was a teacher before retiring and every day for her lunch break she ate some sort of small snack like turkey or cheese on crackers, and a full-size dark Hershey bar. Every day for 30 years. The type of person who prefers chocolate over all other foods and desserts and literally consumes chocolate every day of their lives. Big bags of Hershey's kisses in their fridge. Every birthday means chocolate cake with chocolate filling and chocolate frosting... And so on.

I like chocolate ok but I never understood "chocoholics".
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I always thought of loving chocolate being more about loving/being addicted to sugar, but choosing chocolate over other types of sugar. That was basically me. I have never used the term chocoholic though lol.

And to add one more.. cake. Cake sucks. I love chocolate. I love frosting. I love pie and cookies and brownies. But pass on the cake.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't at all think of obsession with chocolate as about sugar. I adore less sweet chocolate options, like the unsweetened brewing chocolate and 88% dark. For sweeter things I actually tend to prefer non chocolate desserts (and for desserts in general I wouldn't put it on the sugar specifically as I really don't care for anything sweet that lacks fat).

I am not a "chocoholic" and think the term is stupid but taking the whole ending from alcoholic is just something we sometimes do in forming new terms -- it's like how "gate" (from Watergate, originally just a hotel) gets appended to any US political scandal. I don't think it's offensive or makes light of alcoholism.

The "aholic" doesn't bother me. I have type 2 bipolar disorder which is an actual brain chemical malfunction that can be treated medically with some success. It is not a character flaw. Anyway, I cringe when I hear people use bipolar as a derogatory term about someone who is quick to anger and/or runs "hot and cold". Most of the time the person using the term is taking about someone who is upset with them, usually for a valid reason.

Yeah, I think that's a very valid objection, and I would definitely avoid using that term casually. (When I was young people would use schizo for that, which is not only also offensive, but never made sense as that's not even what schizophrenia is.) Similarly, I think calling oneself or others OCD when you just mean a little uptight or careful or someone who double-checks isn't good.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I don’t know if this is unpopular but the seasonal Reese’s bells are terrible compared to regular reeses cups!!! We used them to make pb blossoms. They taste like a mediocre version of reeses and have barely any peanut butter in them !!! Way too much chocolate:pb ratio. Especially since the chocolate used to make reeses isn't that good. Barely any pb in the center which is the best part of a reeses. My family all said they preferred them to regular Reeses because of the extra thick chocolate.... not sure we are related :D

Reese’s are only good with higher chocolate to pb ratio.

My favorite are the seasonal christmas trees/hearts/etc because they have the highest pb:chocolate ratio, next would be big cups, then the giant hand sized cups, then the regular cups.
  • AthenaBosi
    AthenaBosi Posts: 27 Member
    I don't like chocolate or cheese. Certain melted cheese is an exception.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    I find pies to be extremely underwhelming, especially for the amount of calories they are. The crust is meh and the fillings (apple, pie, pumpkin, etc) don't do anything for me unless they're half whip cream. Give me cake or soft cookies instead.

Me too. I'd rather have cake, cookies, brownies, or some kind of quick bread.

I'd SO much rather have pie than any of those (although good cookies would be a close second). IMO, the best dessert is a good homemade pie (the trick is having a good crust) with an excellent fruit filling, not too sweet (I'm not into pumpkin that much, am picky about pecan, and would argue that NO good pies have whip cream anywhere near their filling, ugh, although on top is fine with something like pumpkin), and then ice cream on the hot pie. Best pies are (1) strawberry-rhubarb, and (2) apple. A really good key lime pie is something I will not turn down also.

Cake sucks by comparison and is over-rated in general, although some cakes are nice. I actually am a huge fan of olive oil cake and there's a lemon and lavender cupcake I've made that is delicious and not too sweet.

Quick breads are just okay, although I like a cinnamon coffee cake which I think is basically similar.

Brownies are lame, I'll put them in the donut category of rarely worth the calories, although they aren't as pointless and unpleasant as fudge.

Other desserts not mentioned can be good, including a good cannoli (but bad cannoli is very bad).

There are things I am forgetting, but I think there's a theme, which is that good desserts should not be too sweet, and the best desserts do not involve chocolate (although I love unsweetened brewing chocolate, have a weakness for chocolate covered nuts, and am fond of small portions of Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate (88%), or the occasional piece of chocolate more generally, so long as it is in small amounts).

Wow, we are the exact opposite. I don't get how you like desserts that aren't too sweet but you like pie. The filling on pies is way too sweet for me which is why I don't like it.

You realize you can control that by how you make the pie, right?

I love pecans themselves, but pecan pie is literally just sugar goo with pecans on top of it in a pie crust.

There are a huge variety of ways to make a pecan pie (which is why I said I'm picky about them). Most are awful, but there are good ones.

I haven't made on in years, but my favorite trick was to substitute ~half of the corn syrup (in my grandmother's recipe) with molasses. It's still really, really sweet, so if that's not you thing you'd hate it, but the molasses gave it more depth of flavor. I also tend to overload it with pecans, so it's not just a single layer on top of a sugar goo.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I find pies to be extremely underwhelming, especially for the amount of calories they are. The crust is meh and the fillings (apple, pie, pumpkin, etc) don't do anything for me unless they're half whip cream. Give me cake or soft cookies instead.

Me too. I'd rather have cake, cookies, brownies, or some kind of quick bread.

I'd SO much rather have pie than any of those (although good cookies would be a close second). IMO, the best dessert is a good homemade pie (the trick is having a good crust) with an excellent fruit filling, not too sweet (I'm not into pumpkin that much, am picky about pecan, and would argue that NO good pies have whip cream anywhere near their filling, ugh, although on top is fine with something like pumpkin), and then ice cream on the hot pie. Best pies are (1) strawberry-rhubarb, and (2) apple. A really good key lime pie is something I will not turn down also.

Cake sucks by comparison and is over-rated in general, although some cakes are nice. I actually am a huge fan of olive oil cake and there's a lemon and lavender cupcake I've made that is delicious and not too sweet.

Quick breads are just okay, although I like a cinnamon coffee cake which I think is basically similar.

Brownies are lame, I'll put them in the donut category of rarely worth the calories, although they aren't as pointless and unpleasant as fudge.

Other desserts not mentioned can be good, including a good cannoli (but bad cannoli is very bad).

There are things I am forgetting, but I think there's a theme, which is that good desserts should not be too sweet, and the best desserts do not involve chocolate (although I love unsweetened brewing chocolate, have a weakness for chocolate covered nuts, and am fond of small portions of Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate (88%), or the occasional piece of chocolate more generally, so long as it is in small amounts).

Wow, we are the exact opposite. I don't get how you like desserts that aren't too sweet but you like pie. The filling on pies is way too sweet for me which is why I don't like it.

You realize you can control that by how you make the pie, right?

I love pecans themselves, but pecan pie is literally just sugar goo with pecans on top of it in a pie crust.

I haven't made on in years, but my favorite trick was to substitute ~half of the corn syrup (in my grandmother's recipe) with molasses. It's still really, really sweet, so if that's not you thing you'd hate it, but the molasses gave it more depth of flavor. I also tend to overload it with pecans, so it's not just a single layer on top of a sugar goo.

I always overloaded mine with pecans, and subbed maple syrup (the darker stuff) for corn syrup. Tasty stuff.