What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    To sum up some of the foods mentioned recently:

sushi is good, but I usually get sashimi

olives are amazing and make many salads and other dishes better, as well as being good on their own - I haven't run into one I didn't like yet

mushrooms are also amazing so long as they are cooked, but I don't care for raw mushrooms because of the texture

chips mostly are overrated -- some are pretty tasty so they certainly aren't all bad (I actively hate certain types), but I don't feel any particular desire for them ever (I used to like these housemade chips a local sandwich place makes, but now I find I always prefer getting the almonds since they give a choice)

I haven't liked the coconut water I've tried

kimchi is amazing (and so is sauerkraut)

vinegars are generally great (although I don't consume them plain), and ACV is among that category and works extra well in many dishes to add a bit of acid and flavor. I don't like it plain as a salad dressing, but would use some oil, although you can cut the ratio of oil to vinegar in a vinaigrette by a lot without sacrificing flavor

_______

A new one: I get the feeling that everyone seems to love dates, but I don't like them at all. Too boringly sweet.

I like apple cider vinegar (and most vinegars). I do a quick-and-east slaw by heating up cabbage, carrot and onion, with some seasonings, and then tossing a little apple cider vinegar into the pan - swirl the stuff around a little bit and then serve.

I can live without chips. I do like sauteed potatoes.

As a half-Spaniard, I'm required to like olives. I do, especially Manzanilla olives stuffed with peppers. I don't like 'em with anchovies.

I have a sweet tooth, so I do like dates. For me, it's a nice way to fulfill some fiber and mineral stats.

Weirdly, for someone not fond of seafood, I can deal with some types of sushi and sashimi.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Half the people who go to the salon all the time and talk about their "stylists" have pretty terrible hair.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,095 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Okra is great in gumbo.

Besides roasting as Tomek suggests, I also enjoy it cut up and quick-sauteed, just to the point of being hot but still crisp, before it cooks into mucilaginousness.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Half the people who go to the salon all the time and talk about their "stylists" have pretty terrible hair.

Um, what?!?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I had a touch over a pound of okra today. I dressed it with a little olive oil and placed it in my 7 inch air fryer cake pan. Like @AnnPT77 I leave it just crisp and I only cook it this way full pod. It is extremely filling so by the time I was done with lunch I was a little overfull but I have learned to appreciate that feeling.
  • patricia__alves_
    Options
    Olives are nasty.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I had a touch over a pound of okra today. I dressed it with a little olive oil and placed it in my 7 inch air fryer cake pan. Like @AnnPT77 I leave it just crisp and I only cook it this way full pod. It is extremely filling so by the time I was done with lunch I was a little overfull but I have learned to appreciate that feeling.

I read this wrong and thought you made an okra cake. Like, a carrot cake but with okra.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

Um, what?!?

I'm thinking this was supposed to go in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. The one that is non-food related, but I could be wrong.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I read this wrong and thought you made an okra cake. Like, a carrot cake but with okra.

Why would I use a cake pan to make cakes? lol. No. It is a perfect size to fit in my air fryer so it is perfect for things like frittatas. However sometimes I just use it because it is easier to wash than the air fryer basket. I own my lazy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Um, what?!?

LOL sorry everyone, I thought I was posting to the regular "unpopular opinions" thread!!! :D
  • NovusDies
    Options

Um, what?!?

LOL sorry everyone, I thought I was posting to the regular "unpopular opinions" thread!!! :D

Well there is such a thing as a food stylist and there is angel hair pasta which I do not care for so some of it works.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How have I never participated in this thread???
    This is right up my alley.

*Must resist urge to go back and start replying to posts from 2018.*
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Olives are GOOD. What are you guys on??
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Not an olive high, obviously.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

RIGHT?? A good friend of mine just admitted to me that she hates olives.
    Now I need new friends....
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I've seen cats get on olive highs.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    I've never been that big on chips but more as a way to get onion dip in my mouth that's socially acceptable. I had my mind changed with jalapeno kettle chips, those things are so good!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

One of my cat gets crazy over olive brine. When I open a can of olives (and he will recognize the sound even from far away in the backyard), I have to give him a teaspoon of the stuff to keep him calm and refrain of whacking the olives right out of my hand. The other two cannot be bothered.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I think it's the salt, not sure why though. My cats used to steal fast food french fries and they wouldn't actually eat them, they'd just lick all the salt off :lol: