What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maple syrup on pancakes is a waste of calories.

Is this syrup that comes from a tree in Vermont or a cornfield? BIG difference.

I prefer cornfield syrup. I think tree syrup is too thin.

Me, too.

And I like sugar-free syrup. I'm a total heathen.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maple syrup on pancakes is a waste of calories.

Is this syrup that comes from a tree in Vermont or a cornfield? BIG difference.

I prefer cornfield syrup. I think tree syrup is too thin.

Me, too.

And I like sugar-free syrup. I'm a total heathen.

I like sugar-free syrup too. Cary's, Best Choice, a few others...not so much Smuckers but it'll do in a dive restaurant. Walden Farms no thanks.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Coconut water tastes like water that's already been in someone's mouth and the only way to eat sushi is to throw it in the trash.

And olives come straight from the pit of hell.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Jalapeno poppers should only be filled with cheddar cheese. Cream cheese filled ones are like biting into a huge zit.

Edit - the cream filling of Oreos is disgusting. Tastes like sweet lard. I'd definitely buy a "biscuit only" version of them.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Chips are overrated. Lays are gross and leave me with a greasy taste and feeling.

I've never got the appeal of chips with my sandwich.

I only like salt n vinegar kettle chips and even those only sound good a few times a year when I have a craving.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are poison

Salt is blech and adds nothing to a dish. I consume it only because I don't like the consequences of iodine deficiency.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Mushrooms are poison

Salt is blech and adds nothing to a dish. I consume it only because I don't like the consequences of iodine deficiency.

Some mushrooms sure are.
    Salt is God's gift to human kind and food. And do think about that last statement a bit ;)

A favorite story in our family:
    http://taleswithgigi.com/tale/16/
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Mark Kurlansky also has a wonderful collection of food/ingredients and their effect on history. One of the books is about salt, and is a great read.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have that Kurlansky book but haven't read it yet.

Here's one of many articles about the uses of salt, especially for cooking and preserving: https://www.finecooking.com/article/the-science-of-salt

I find even just a little salt, along with other seasonings, makes a difference in cooking, and would be sad if I ever had to give it up. I typically don't salt already cooked food, but that is not an anti salt position.
  • asthesoapturns
    Options
    Mushrooms are poison

Some mushrooms sure are.
    Salt is God's gift to human kind and food. And do think about that last statement a bit ;)
    All mushrooms are poison in my world XD. The smell of them cooking is nauseating. I'm from a family of mushroom lovers. Sorry Mom.

Salt is one of those things I do not like the taste of, at all. Since I'm prone to getting iodine deficient, mixed with chronically low blood pressure I have to make the conscious choice to eat more of it in summer months. I guess the positive is I don't get tempted to gorge on chips.
  • asthesoapturns
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I have that Kurlansky book but haven't read it yet.

Here's one of many articles about the uses of salt, especially for cooking and preserving: https://www.finecooking.com/article/the-science-of-salt

I find even just a little salt, along with other seasonings, makes a difference in cooking, and would be sad if I ever had to give it up. I typically don't salt already cooked food, but that is not an anti salt position.

I don't like the taste. Don't used canned foods, I make my own seasonings, it is absolutely something I have to make myself consume. It's not like I grew up in an anti salt or hyper salt family. Just don't have the taste buds for it.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Coconut water tastes like water that's already been in someone's mouth and the only way to eat sushi is to throw it in the trash.

It does taste like backwash with floaties! The ones I've had had little coconut bits in them and it made it even worse.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Okra is delicious in more ways than frying.
    Kimchi should be much more popular.
    Apple Cider Vinegar, by itself, is a great salad dressing - and you get to drink the salad flavored acv at the end!
    If you have never tried pickled fruit you are missing out on an ecstasy of flavor.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Apple Cider Vinegar, but itself, is a great salad dressing - and you get to drink the salad flavored acv at the end!
    If you have never tried pickled fruit you are missing out on an ecstasy of flavor.

I've only had okra pickled, but it was good!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Okra is great in gumbo.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

I agree with the coconut water part!

Sushi's great. Just cook it a little bit.

There are so many varieties of olives that I can't believe you hate olive them. See what I did there?

drums.gif
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I agree with the coconut water part!

Sushi's great. Just cook it a little bit.

There are so many varieties of olives that I can't believe you hate olive them. See what I did there?

drums.gif

gkuk7d8tfvl8.gif
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    Apple Cider Vinegar, by itself, is a great salad dressing - and you get to drink the salad flavored acv at the end!

I love apple cider vinegar, if it wasn't for the acid I'd add it to water all the time.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2020
    Options
    To sum up some of the foods mentioned recently:

sushi is good, but I usually get sashimi

olives are amazing and make many salads and other dishes better, as well as being good on their own - I haven't run into one I didn't like yet

mushrooms are also amazing so long as they are cooked, but I don't care for raw mushrooms because of the texture

chips mostly are overrated -- some are pretty tasty so they certainly aren't all bad (I actively hate certain types), but I don't feel any particular desire for them ever (I used to like these housemade chips a local sandwich place makes, but now I find I always prefer getting the almonds since they give a choice)

I haven't liked the coconut water I've tried

kimchi is amazing (and so is sauerkraut)

vinegars are generally great (although I don't consume them plain), and ACV is among that category and works extra well in many dishes to add a bit of acid and flavor. I don't like it plain as a salad dressing, but would use some oil, although you can cut the ratio of oil to vinegar in a vinaigrette by a lot without sacrificing flavor

_______

A new one: I get the feeling that everyone seems to love dates, but I don't like them at all. Too boringly sweet.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Apple Cider Vinegar, but itself, is a great salad dressing - and you get to drink the salad flavored acv at the end!

I've only had okra pickled, but it was good!

Now that you have that Ninja, make it in a stew / gumbo OR roast until nice and charred. Works even from frozen.

In the air fryer?