What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I prefer the layered type myself :)
  • pancakerunner
    Ice cream cake is not good. Only thing enjoyable about it is the fudge filling and the gel icing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Ice cream cake is not good. Only thing enjoyable about it is the fudge filling and the gel icing.

FIFY
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

If the biscuits you've been given were dry and crumbly, then you have been given some bad version of biscuit and I'm sorry to hear that! A good southern biscuit, while it will crumb a bit, should not be dry.

This. The problem with a lot of biscuits is that they are not made correctly. Some won't bother with cutting in cold lard or butter at all. Others overwork it. Even many southern restaurants do not take the time to really get it right.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Also, I felt adventurous yesterday and tried the Impossible burger crumbles at Qdoba. Never again...big nope.

Those were a huge disappointment to me. I like Impossible crumble, just not theirs.

Maybe I will have to consider giving some others a try. Right away when I got in the car, I noticed a scent from the crumbles that was offputting. I normally love Qdoba, but that whole experience was disappointing. I think I will just go back to getting both kinds of beans instead.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    This talk of Impossible crumbles makes me crave Morningstar Farms veggie chorizo crumbles...omg, seriously a favorite food for me. Anyone else like those?

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member

The cake is usually lousy but ice cream and frosting is worth salvaging!
  • pancakerunner
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Keto coffee or bulletproof coffee is F'N gross!!!!

agreed.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Solid butter is gross.

I love it melted into things, but I'm not going to bite into something that has a big hunk of un-melted butter on top....i.e. muffin, bread roll, biscuit, toast. Which is why none of those things should ever be served cold. Must be warm so that the butter melts.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Biscuits are disgusting. It's like a mouthful of dry, crumbly chalk. Yuck. It does not matter how much gravy, butter, or whatever else you slather them in.
    American biscuits, that is. I know our friends over seas call their cookies that.

If the biscuits you've been given were dry and crumbly, then you have been given some bad version of biscuit and I'm sorry to hear that! A good southern biscuit, while it will crumb a bit, should not be dry.

Believe me, I've tried so many different biscuits. From all over the country. Flaky buttery ones and Southern ones alike. My friends love them. They'll go on and on about how I'll definitely like this one.
    Nope. They all literally taste like chalk to me. I don't know what they put in them that I don't like, but biscuits don't do it for me. I'd rather go an entire day without eating than have to eat a biscuit.
    Scones are the same. They're just sweet biscuits to me, with the same nasty chalk taste.
  • pancakerunner
    Solid butter is gross.

I love it melted into things, but I'm not going to bite into something that has a big hunk of un-melted butter on top....i.e. muffin, bread roll, biscuit, toast. Which is why none of those things should ever be served cold. Must be warm so that the butter melts.

See, I am the opposite. I prefer cold butter over melted!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Solid butter is gross.

As a tiny child, I loved it . . . until an indulgent farmer-aunt let me eat fresh home-made butter with a teaspoon, as much of it as I wanted. I don't remember this specifically, but my mother said I was shuddering as I fed myself the last spoonsful.

After that, I couldn't eat butter on things for decades, cold or melted (inside baked goods was OK). Eventually, I started liking melted butter, but I still can't enjoy the cold chunky stuff. :lol:
  • pancakerunner
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Solid butter is gross.

As a tiny child, I loved it . . . until an indulgent farmer-aunt let me eat fresh home-made butter with a teaspoon, as much of it as I wanted. I don't remember this specifically, but my mother said I was shuddering as I fed myself the last spoonsful.

After that, I couldn't eat butter on things for decades, cold or melted (inside baked goods was OK). Eventually, I started liking melted butter, but I still can't enjoy the cold chunky stuff. :lol:

b2oob5wv9n3l.jpg

I love cold whipped butter... salted. sweet cream. YUM
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I love snails and am always surprised when people consider them weird or squicky, but I have to admit that if asked to describe what they taste like I'd probably say garlic and butter.

This makes me think of the trip to New Orleans my mother, sister and I took many years ago - for Mardi Gras. My sister and I wanted to try alligator, but they came deep-fried, and all we tasted was the batter. I don't remember the texture, so I guess it didn't bother me.

I don't like most things that come in shells; not sure why, but that's the way it is. Includes shrimp and lobster, which my brother finds appalling.

Yes, I'm from New England, have lobster fishermen in my family, and am the only one I know of who doesn't like anything that comes in shells.
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2020
    Maple syrup on pancakes is a waste of calories.

Is this syrup that comes from a tree in Vermont or a cornfield? BIG difference.
  • kshama2001
    Biscuits are disgusting. It's like a mouthful of dry, crumbly chalk. Yuck. It does not matter how much gravy, butter, or whatever else you slather them in.
    American biscuits, that is. I know our friends over seas call their cookies that.

Biscuits are definitely very easy to get wrong. The ones that peel apart in perfect thin layers are amazing.

Those may be good . . . but - in US terminology (and I know you live in my neck of the woods) - that's really not a "biscuit." That's a kind of "roll", possibly a type of butter-flake roll. (/curmudgeon).

And Southern-style buttermilk biscuits, made with soft (usually self-rising) flour and a dough that's almost too soft to handle, fresh from the oven . . . those are excellent. It's like a yummy rich light cloud of warm butter delivery, and a little good honey won't hurt it, either.

This is probably why I always pick out the wrong recipes and don't get the flaky layers I want, lol.

Possible I'm not understanding what you're describing, but if you Google butterflake rolls, you can see if that's close. It's a yeast roll. The ones I see pictured if I do that have rather thick layers, but layers. I've seen the ones with thin layers. Might just be how thin one rolls out the dough before layering/stacking (probably). :)

Good biscuits are sort of flaky, but super-soft random flakes so I've never related to using that "flaky" term for them (until they're cold, so not as good). Definitely not layers.

https://carnaldish.com/recipes/flaky-buttery-buttermilk-biscuits/

This is what I'm thinking:

jya85e3ti8pe.jpg

Yes, Pillsbury calls them biscuits which gets confusing. In my head I differentiate "flaky biscuits" and "Southern biscuits". Both when done right are yumtastic, but easy to screw up :blush:

Pillsbury uses an ingredient in this and other ready-to-bake products that tastes weird to me.

Annie's and Immaculate biscuits taste like my Joy of Cooking recipes.
  • pancakerunner
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My dad actually taps his own syrup, so the real stuff is what I know. Still not worth it!
  • pancakerunner

Biscuits are definitely very easy to get wrong. The ones that peel apart in perfect thin layers are amazing.

Those may be good . . . but - in US terminology (and I know you live in my neck of the woods) - that's really not a "biscuit." That's a kind of "roll", possibly a type of butter-flake roll. (/curmudgeon).

And Southern-style buttermilk biscuits, made with soft (usually self-rising) flour and a dough that's almost too soft to handle, fresh from the oven . . . those are excellent. It's like a yummy rich light cloud of warm butter delivery, and a little good honey won't hurt it, either.

This is probably why I always pick out the wrong recipes and don't get the flaky layers I want, lol.

Possible I'm not understanding what you're describing, but if you Google butterflake rolls, you can see if that's close. It's a yeast roll. The ones I see pictured if I do that have rather thick layers, but layers. I've seen the ones with thin layers. Might just be how thin one rolls out the dough before layering/stacking (probably). :)

Good biscuits are sort of flaky, but super-soft random flakes so I've never related to using that "flaky" term for them (until they're cold, so not as good). Definitely not layers.

https://carnaldish.com/recipes/flaky-buttery-buttermilk-biscuits/

This is what I'm thinking:

jya85e3ti8pe.jpg

Yes, Pillsbury calls them biscuits which gets confusing. In my head I differentiate "flaky biscuits" and "Southern biscuits". Both when done right are yumtastic, but easy to screw up :blush:

Pillsbury uses an ingredient in this and other ready-to-bake products that tastes weird to me.

Annie's and Immaculate biscuits taste like my Joy of Cooking recipes.

I know what flavor you mean! It's like... tangy... but not in a buttermilk way... more like a metallic tang?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

I prefer cornfield syrup. I think tree syrup is too thin.