WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Michelle--Krispy Kreme is so hard to resist! There's a box sitting on my counter right now, and I haven't even opened it. As to apple pies, I've never heard of marinating the apples. I do pile them higher than the pan when I bake one, since they cook down to a normal size. I like to make the kind with the crumb tops, so they don't come out hollow under the crust.

Allie--I love naps! I'm trying to take fewer as I lose weight. I figure sitting up burns more calories than sleeping, but I don't think I'll be able to resist today.

Katla--I've heard Speed Queen is a very reliable brand. I didn't go for a front loader because I'd heard they had problems. I've got a large capacity top-loader, and it's so deep I need tongs to reach the stuff at the bottom.

Barbie--I think I have pants exactly like your big ones. They'll still stay up, but they're so big I worry about stepping out of them. Maybe I'll keep a pair of the old 22s. I need to start taking pictures so I can see the weight disappearing. I've spent so much time avoiding the camera, I'm only in pictures where I had no choice.

Lisa--your quote is intriguing. Are you a writer? It sounds like this would be a great opening for a novel.

I've been considering a word for the year. I was thinking either "Do" or "Live." I spent part of this year losing weight through calorie deficit, and I know next year I'll need to add in the work-outs. I've always liked the Nike motto--"Just Do It," so that verb is appealing. To me, it's like that song, "I Hope You Dance." I've been sitting on the sidelines of my life for so long, now I need to get back in it. I'm too inclined to procrastinate, and put things off as long as possible. I need to do more living, more action, more exercise, more participation, and more using the time and opportunities I have.

Likewise, "Live" is a mantra I need when I'm tempted to take the easy road. "Live" means taking advantage of every moment, creating memories, building good habits, and having the kind of life I only envy now. It also means being healthy so I can continue to live. One of those will be great. Maybe I'll paint or embroider the word for my hobby room.

I made my goal for this month. I'm below 200!! My next goal is 165. That's where I stopped last time I lost a lot of weight. That's 35 lbs, so it should take me about four months--so the end of April. It's going slower now, so if it doesn't happen that fast I won't lose hope.

Sitting here listening to Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton "Once Upon a Christmas." It's one my grandma used to play at Christmas. After she died, I went through a spell where I had to find this album, along with Elvis' Christmas album. It's funny how that mattered so much. My grandma died at 58 from heart problems. I'm 5 years younger than that, so this weight loss and lifestyle change has that imperative in it. My grandpa died before she did, so I'm trying to beat those odds.

Cari in N. Texas
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    The last time our washer broke down, the repairman couldn't repair and advised us to get the simplest one we could find without a lot of doo dads. We are now leaning toward Maytag when we can find it.

Carol in GA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    On a completely different note (I think) I woke up this morning with these words running around in my head, clear as day. "She found strength from a refrigerator magnet."

I'll leave you with that rather ambiguous statement. I've got some writing to do this morning.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

Congratulations on the job, and I'm glad to hear that it is starting well. :)

Did the magnet keep the refrigerator door closed?

As for dreams/waking etc. a few times lately I've been dreaming about wearing white for some reason. I don't usually wear white in waking life. But there I am in the dream selecting and wearing white ... and that's what the whole dream is about. After a few times I actually took a look in my closet for white stuff ... there isn't much!

M in Oz

LOL!!!

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Washers We have a Maytag MVWB765FW top-loading washer. 4.7 cu ft capacity. It is 42 inches tall, so it's definitely important to measure your space. I have never "loved" a washing machine before, but I love this washer. It does have some bells & whistles, which I was initially opposed to, but the longer we've owned it, the more enamored I am. It has a Bedding setting. We looked at Speed Queen, which is what I wanted, but I became convinced that this Maytag was a better choice for us, in part because of noise & water usage. Speed Queens are tanks - built to last.

Generators We opted for a whole house generator years ago when we were offered a substantial discount by our HVAC provider when they were doing work to upgrade our natural gas supply to meet specifications for our tankless hot water heaters. Between the tax credit, Generac promotion/rebate, & HVAC discount, it was almost affordable. :# We have been enormously grateful for our wonderful generator. The best part is being able to run an extension cord to our next door neighbors (6 kids) so they don't lose their food, can have some lights, can recharge their computers & phones, and can run their washing machine. Since all but one of the kids are home-schooled (!!!) they are totally disrupted when electricity goes out.

Snow is almost completely melted away by the rain. I am glad to see it go.

Work was hectic today. My partner & I were going to run errands after I got off work, but she busted her buns & got everything done by herself! I was so thankful. She is sound asleep now, & I have my feet up, catching up on the news.

Machka Maybe wearing white in your dreams has to do with clean slates & new beginnings. Or trustworthiness & reliability. Or pure motives...

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Cari - congrats on reaching your first goal. You'll reach the next one in no time at all. I'm so sorry about your grandmother.

If we'd bought the washer with the new pedestal, that would have made it too high with the cabinet right under the washing machine. Fortunately, we could use the pedestal that was there.

Denise and Pete just came in. They're at WalMart right now. After they get back, all of us will go to Hibachi Grill for dinner. I'm going to try to have good food.

Michele in NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I used to be a martyr to stress, then I discovered meditation and deep breathing. With practice you can bring yourself out of stress by taking proper deep breaths. It takes-while to train yourself but it is well worth the effort.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a word for the year. I was thinking either "Do" or "Live." I spent part of this year losing weight through calorie deficit, and I know next year I'll need to add in the work-outs. I've always liked the Nike motto--"Just Do It," so that verb is appealing. To me, it's like that song, "I Hope You Dance." I've been sitting on the sidelines of my life for so long, now I need to get back in it. I'm too inclined to procrastinate, and put things off as long as possible. I need to do more living, more action, more exercise, more participation, and more using the time and opportunities I have.
    Cari in N. Texas

It looks like "more" might be one of your words for the year ...

Beth

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love’s extremely Ripped Boot camp DVD

Yea for me! I went to Krispy Kreme to get donuts for Jess, Colby, Vince, Denise and Pete. In the past, I’d get them but then there’d be this coupon for a free donut. In the past, I’d usually eat the donut myself. Well, this year I didn’t. I admit, I’ve been eying those donuts but I keep telling myself “if I don’t have one, that’ll be more for everyone else” Updatae: I finally broke down and had one. Now I don't want any more. Interesting.....

This morning I did make the apple pie, the shrimp orzo salad (so the flavors can meld) and the filling for the “tree”. Of course, I had to sample some to be sure there was enough spice, etc. I had made the apples yesterday and a cheese that I’ll serve. Even with all these samplings, the Wii says that I’m still within my BMI. I know it’s not going to stay there, but hopefully it won’t get too high. I’m thinking that this year it won’t

Apple pie makers: I cut up the apples and put them in the pie plate. There were definitely enough. I let them marinate in sugar overnight. Baked the pie today, and it looks like there aren’t as many apples. Do you all marinate them first? That’s my first question. Second….how do you determine how many apples to put in the pie?

Denise just called. Said they were about 3 hours away.

Michele in NC

I slice up my apples stir sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg into them then load then into the crust immediately. I usually put them probably an inch above the top of the pie pan edges.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    We have an old Maytag that is over twenty years old. I not sure the newer models will last this long.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Fun day. Weather was a bit windy and wild but not very wet. Walked two hours on the bike trail and spotted 7 blue herons feeding in a field. Ella wanted to run and play with the smallest one but was eventually satisfied to snuggle up to me and just watch.

I’m thinking of a word for 2019 but can’t settle on what to pick. Right now I’m leaning toward the word “move”.

The before and after pictures totally amaze me. Thanks for sharing. What an amazing group of women on this site.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Betsy- Great Blue Herons are my favorite bird....thanks for the mention...
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Had to leave my grand babies and come home to get ready for work tomorrow. Boo hiss.
    Went out for sushi tonight and stayed within my limit
    Now to do battle with my sewing machine!

Karen in BC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The weather forecaster says those of us in western Oregon & Washington may all be in for wind & wet in the near future. I hope we can all stay warm and safe.🙈🙉🙊❤️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    slowly catching up!
  • SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Janetr- you are very inspirational. I wish I would have kept an old pair of pants around to compare to where I am now.

:) Sarah
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the wearing white thing does mean something good. :) I just thought it was sort of odd it appeared in several dreams in a row!

Next up ... my final exam is on Friday, so I commence studying this evening.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Katla: Oops! I think that was a typo on my part. Lol! Enjoy your friends visit.
    Cari: Congrats on making your goal and reaching Onederland.
    Machka: I like the idea of honouring the old you for the choices made. Good luck on Friday. Maybe you should wear something white.
    Janetr/Barbie: I found a pair of my old size 22 pants when I was clearing my closet recently. I've kept them as a reminder of what used to be, and as determination to continue with the new me.

I'm beginning to think about my goals for next year. My word for this year was Focus. I'm leaning towards Progress for 2019.

Irish Terri