WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Cari - I am touched you find me inspirational. I met my DH when I was your age after a lot of years of loneliness, depression, ill health and the rest. It is never too late to claim a new life.
    When I was newly married I found I had breast cancer and put on a lot of weight from the chemo. I started to lose it and take more exercise six and a half years ago. It took a long time, but I have kept it off. At 50 I felt 80. At 69 I feel 45. :D
    My best wishes to you. <3

I tried to cancel the cruise, but the company said, if I booked another cruise in the same year, I could transfer the deposit. They suggested one to the Canaries next Christmas. I ran it through DH , but we decided it didn't solve our financial problem. They won't hold it until 2020. :'( I will cancel finally on Wednesday.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Heather, you might take the offered transfer of deposit, and then when it gets closer to that cruise, say mid-November, see if they'll transfer the deposit into 2020. You won't get your deposit back either way, but it gives you the wait time of a nearly a year to see how your finances are then.

Just a thought.

Lisa
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lisa wow! Good luck checking into higher ed. Pretty neat!!

I did 2 miles on the treadmill at a pretty good clip for me.

You ladies are inspiring in so many ways.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Lisa-Im In awe of you... you and all the ladies here are such inspiration .love each and every one of you xoxox
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Vicki - It is overwhelming reading about what's going on in your world right now. You are made of strong stuff to keep all of those plates spinning. I am crossing fingers things slow down for you in 2019 - employees/ staffing leveled out, DD on a good path, everyone in good health for a while.

Allie - 2019 will be a great year for you. I think you hit about the highest on the stress level chart in 2018.

Yvonne
    - hope you are feeling better!!

Michele - I know you have company so your house is a whirlwind right now. Did Denise and Pete ever get their own place?

Rebecca - I'm glad your oldest son will be around for the Christmas holiday. You are doing great hitting the gym!! It's always neat to realize that boom, it's paying off, it's often so incremental. Muscle burns more calories even when we aren't doing anything, that's what my doc says.

OK, went to my Physical Therapist appointment this morning. Diagnosis = frozen shoulder. Treatment - stretch the arm this way and that way, 2 or 3 sets, 8 or 10 reps, 3 times a day, 5 days a week. Scream and cuss if need be while doing the stretches. Then put a big ice pack on it for 20 minutes. By golly, it feels better already, lol. Good news is that it will only take months to a year to be all better. Other good news is -- I can keep up with the weight training on both arms, won't do any damage. That's what I needed to hear.

Heather - I liked Lisa's thought about moving the deposit.... keep moving it and maybe you can actually be in a position to apply it!

Lisa - great idea pursuing MBA in Accounting! Why not? Keep your options open. I have a retired friend with an MBA in HR, and he actually teaches online classes. Another avenue for retirement income a person can do from home.

NY Karen - great plan hitting the gym in the morning during this busy week. You are doing a great job keeping on top the Christmas goodies. That 5k in DC in April sounds like fun! 2 miles on the treadmill this morning....awesome!

Machka - understandable that your goals got messed up in 2018. I am impressed at all the ideas for the 2019 "words".

Janetr
    - hope things went well at the eyedoc for you. Fun to have the "big pants" around to see how far you've come!

Pip
    - HUGS dear girl... I think Lenny became an angel and steered Kirby your way.

Karen in VA
    - what a neat setup with your generator! We had the option of getting a generator that would have tied into a large propane tank we had at the time, but we let that go when we got the woodstove which replaced the propane insert. Fuel storage for generators is a concern....storing gallons and of gasoline isn't always a good idea and we don't have natural gas lines out here in the boonies. Those rooftop solar collectors are neat. I guess some folks are making them work here in the Pacific Northwest, they are getting better and better. We have a great southern exposure here- the Tesla sounds interesting.

Cari - yes, go get a pair of your big pants back! And thanks for mentioning the Tesla solar roof panels, I'm going to check those out for sure.

Barbie - the list of 19 for 2019 is a wonderful idea! I am stealing it!! I like the word "Pause" ... it's the pause that refreshes, right? Or is that Pepsi, lol.

Stopped at the local family-run appliance store and bought the Speed Queen washer/dryer set. I think it will do just fine and should be able to wash just about everything that needs to be washed. Anything super large and puffy I'll drag to the Laundromat and stick in one of their washers with the Volkswagen size drum, and that's only every few months if that.

What I really liked about the local appliance store was the salesman there is also the repairman! I did stop by Home Depot just to see what they had on the floor. Holy smokes some of those tubs were HUGE in some models. Great for large families tho.

Yes, big rain coming tonight and tomorrow. Katla, I think it will hit you first before it heads up our way. Weatherman doesn't think it will reach flood stage.

Better close - stay warm and dry, ladies!!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,841 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - you've been inspirational for me. I just put in an application to an online university here to see about getting my Master's degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting. Don't know what will come of it, will have to sit down with my husband to look at the overall cost. Also checking with the Veteran's Administration to see if there's any tuition assistance available through them. If I decided to do it, I wouldn't start until March, at the earliest, so there's time to change my mind. Nevertheless, it's worth checking into...

Later, y'all,
    Lisa

Go for it!! :)

BTW - the first two courses of my Master's (one of which I'm currently in) have overlapped with the Business Administration Master's degree, and so did the last course of my Graduate Diploma. My next course will be IT-related again, but I've enjoyed the Business Admin courses.

One of the reasons I decided to go for a Master's Degree is because I figure I've still got a good 16 years of work left, and I might as well get the education that increases my odds of getting into a good position. I don't mind my current job, but would like to move up the ladder a little. Ideally, I'd like to be able to go to 4 days a week but still earn at least what I'm earning now on 5 days a week. :)

And it has helped keep me somewhat up to date with technology.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Janetr: That is good news.
    Cari: We got solar panels fitted at the beginning of the summer. Even on a dull day they generate some power, and we feed any excess back into the grid, to offset costs.
    Allie: With so much happening in your life in 2018, it's not surprising you suffered some stress eating. 2019 will hopefully be a better year for you.
    Lynette: That's good news about your shoulder. The more you keep doing the physio, the more chance of it healing.

Today I had my last Group Christmas celebration, so can now concentrate on prep for Christmas Day, without all the temptations of festive food.

I am thinking ahead on my overall goals for next year, and how to achieve them. Daily goals keep me on track, and I am in a few challenges for accountability. Gotta keep vigilant and focused to succeed.

IRISH TERRI
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Vicki - It is overwhelming reading about what's going on in your world right now. You are made of strong stuff to keep all of those plates spinning. I am crossing fingers things slow down for you in 2019 - employees/ staffing leveled out, DD on a good path, everyone in good health for a while.

Allie - 2019 will be a great year for you. I think you hit about the highest on the stress level chart in 2018.

Yvonne
    - hope you are feeling better!!

Michele - I know you have company so your house is a whirlwind right now. Did Denise and Pete ever get their own place?

Rebecca - I'm glad your oldest son will be around for the Christmas holiday. You are doing great hitting the gym!! It's always neat to realize that boom, it's paying off, it's often so incremental. Muscle burns more calories even when we aren't doing anything, that's what my doc says.

OK, went to my Physical Therapist appointment this morning. Diagnosis = frozen shoulder. Treatment - stretch the arm this way and that way, 2 or 3 sets, 8 or 10 reps, 3 times a day, 5 days a week. Scream and cuss if need be while doing the stretches. Then put a big ice pack on it for 20 minutes. By golly, it feels better already, lol. Good news is that it will only take months to a year to be all better. Other good news is -- I can keep up with the weight training on both arms, won't do any damage. That's what I needed to hear.

Heather - I liked Lisa's thought about moving the deposit.... keep moving it and maybe you can actually be in a position to apply it!

Lisa - great idea pursuing MBA in Accounting! Why not? Keep your options open. I have a retired friend with an MBA in HR, and he actually teaches online classes. Another avenue for retirement income a person can do from home.

NY Karen - great plan hitting the gym in the morning during this busy week. You are doing a great job keeping on top the Christmas goodies. That 5k in DC in April sounds like fun! 2 miles on the treadmill this morning....awesome!

Machka - understandable that your goals got messed up in 2018. I am impressed at all the ideas for the 2019 "words".

Janetr
    - hope things went well at the eyedoc for you. Fun to have the "big pants" around to see how far you've come!

Pip
    - HUGS dear girl... I think Lenny became an angel and steered Kirby your way.

Karen in VA
    - what a neat setup with your generator! We had the option of getting a generator that would have tied into a large propane tank we had at the time, but we let that go when we got the woodstove which replaced the propane insert. Fuel storage for generators is a concern....storing gallons and of gasoline isn't always a good idea and we don't have natural gas lines out here in the boonies. Those rooftop solar collectors are neat. I guess some folks are making them work here in the Pacific Northwest, they are getting better and better. We have a great southern exposure here- the Tesla sounds interesting.

Cari - yes, go get a pair of your big pants back! And thanks for mentioning the Tesla solar roof panels, I'm going to check those out for sure.

Barbie - the list of 19 for 2019 is a wonderful idea! I am stealing it!! I like the word "Pause" ... it's the pause that refreshes, right? Or is that Pepsi, lol.

Stopped at the local family-run appliance store and bought the Speed Queen washer/dryer set. I think it will do just fine and should be able to wash just about everything that needs to be washed. Anything super large and puffy I'll drag to the Laundromat and stick in one of their washers with the Volkswagen size drum, and that's only every few months if that.

What I really liked about the local appliance store was the salesman there is also the repairman! I did stop by Home Depot just to see what they had on the floor. Holy smokes some of those tubs were HUGE in some models. Great for large families tho.

Yes, big rain coming tonight and tomorrow. Katla, I think it will hit you first before it heads up our way. Weatherman doesn't think it will reach flood stage.

Better close - stay warm and dry, ladies!!

Lanette
    SW WA State

I know he did which is why I appreciate Kirby all the more
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    JanetR - so pleased with your good news... and loved the picture of you in one leg of your old pants...

Thanks for the encouragement re: the MBA. Talked to the hubster, and he said, "go for it." So... I'm still thinking about it. :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    JanetR - so pleased with your good news... and loved the picture of you in one leg of your old pants...

Thanks for the encouragement re: the MBA. Talked to the hubster, and he said, "go for it." So... I'm still thinking about it. :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I think that's great a great idea. You know my daughter's story. she became a single mom of three teenagers, worked full time, went to university full time, earned her BS in four years, a year later earned her Master's degree in accounting and now 18 months later she received her official CPA license. The CPA firm she works for gave her a bonus of right at $6,000 dollars. She will now take over auditing for all of the company's non-profit organizations. She is thrilled.

Oh yes, its a great idea for you as you are so very intelligent and motivated. You are an inspiration for us all <3

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.17min, 13amph, 144mhr, 1.5mi= 84c
    manual treadmill- 43min, 106ahr, 142mhr, 2.37mi= 236c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.42min, 134mhr, 15.6amph, 1.4mi= 66c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.40min, 11.7amph, 117ahr, 139mhr, 142c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.09min, 9.47min mi, 150mhr, .5mi= 64c
    jog wrk 2 sta-149mhr, 4.32min, 10.03min mi, .4mi= 75c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.45min, 7.9amph, 148mhr, 2.6mi= 197c

total cal 865
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Irish Terry - that's encouraging about your solar panels! I'm guessing you have a climate much like ours here in the Pacific Northwest with 4 months of short, mostly cloudy days. Did your government or power company help pay for them? And are they mounted on your roof and hooked into a shelf of batteries?

I intend to keep up with this physical therapy- I am amazed at how a few visits to them and a sheet of stretches and exercises to perform have really helped me through back and neck problems in the past.

Lanette
    Rainy and blustery SW WA State