WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    well a tad bit of a nap.. feeling a bit better.. windy and chilly here and I have my robe on over my clothes ,I have all electric heat and I dont want to turn it up im keeping the bedroom at 62 and the living room at 63.. and as of January 1st the electric is going up alot higher...
    so here I sit having a cup of apple cinnamon tea... which tastes great
    going to go through the flyers and get a list together... maybe go thursday rather than this afternoon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,130 Member
    Options
    🎄
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    We had a really good day until we started arguing about money late afternoon. :'( We are both feeling really sensitive about how much this move has cost us. Because we married late in life we have kept our money separate and I have a lot less savings and income than DH. A few things were said that were best not said. I hope we will get over it asap. :'(

The day started well with the radiator guy successfully resiting the radiator under the window. We didn't have to live without heat for too long and occupied some of the time with going to the fish market and buying our Christmas fish.
    I had the bright idea of getting a new carpet for that room before we put the huge dresser into it, so we went out to look at carpets and order one. That may have been a mistake, judging by DH's reaction to splitting the cost. I will suggest we cancel it. We also have a new window to pay for and a blind - hence cancelling the cruise. :o
    Lisa - You can only move the deposit inside one year, January to January.

Basically I am feeling a bit fed up with DH right now. I don't like that feeling.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I'm so sorry the move has made things stressful and tense. I know he loves the grandkids, but I am assuming they are yours and not his? That could account for some of the resentment -- I know it would for my husband. (He mentions a few times a week the fact that we live 800 miles from his kids and that my kids live with us. When I pointed out that, as an adult, I didn't live near my parents, he says, 'Well, your kids are now adults!' They are 22 and 18. His youngest is 10 years older than my eldest. :frowning: )If they are his grandkids, then he just needs to get over it!

Hang in there.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Terri and Machka ...enjoyed your poems!! Although wish you, Machka, had things easier right now.

Heather ... sorry you and the DH are at one another ... financial matters seem to bring out the worst in all of us.
    Hoping tomorrow is a better day.

We have an aging black lab and for some reason he is in full-shed mode. I've vacuumed enough fur to create three more of him!! I have no idea why he's shedding his coat now ... it's usually a spring thing ... and it's driving me batty. He doesn't tolerate brushing so we just deal with the clumps of fur. Blech.

We are in fudge-making mode. Give it for gifts to those who remember "Nana's Fudge." Had two colossal fudge fails, but the third time was the ticket. Took good notes so the rest "should" turn out ok. Have to make a batch yet tonight for DH's brother.

I've been having horrible heartburn at night and there's no question it's due to eating too late and sampling too many of the goodies we have in the house. I've vowed not to eat anything tonight and so far have been able to keep that pledge.

Younger son has been home since last Thursday and we have had some good talks. I understand what it is he wants to do with his life and he has reassured me that some of my concerns about his shying away from performance were unfounded. He will still have plenty of reasons to perform, but that's not his focus and I now understand why. His reasoning is sound. He's full of plans and excitement and I'm excited for him. He's chosen a difficult field to be successful in but I'm hopeful. My baby will be 21 on Thursday. How did that happen?

Beth near Buffalo

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Heather I understand about the expense of moving. Going through something similar with DS. I know long term this is best for him but it is not cheap. Yesterday I was in his car I saw he had a cracked windshield needing to be fixed. Not a KODAK moment! Fortunately he had many things he needed in storage in our home. It helps but it is amazing how things add up. I do think we got the home for a good price so that helps my attitude too.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather We have agreed to split costs based on percentage of income...which means I pay for about 75% of our expenses. It's the fairest arrangement, but not always easy for me - occasionally, I feel resentful when my partner is lobbying for a purchase that I am not particularly enthusiastic about. I have to bite my tongue at those times in order to avoid making it about money. It's a vulnerable area for my partner.

Terri You are a poet! That is a very clever rhyme.

Allie We keep our thermostat low, too. It's 60F in our house right now. It feels comfortable to me. If I get chilly, I add a pair of wool socks and some long sleeves.

Karen in VIrginia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :) We had a great adventure today going to Seattle for Jake to see the cardiologist. There is a new fast ferry that is a passenger only catamaran that leaves from a location that is much easier to drive to than where we went before. We got up early to be sure we got there on time and found the right place to park and the right access to the ferry. We both brought stuff to read so we were entertained while we waited. In Seattle we took a taxi to the doctor's office so we didn't have to deal with Seattle traffic in the rain. Most important of all was that the cardiologist said that Jake is doing great. It was very windy and rainy and I was concerned that I might be motion sick on the ferry so I put in my ear buds and listened to a podcast and napped instead of trying to read or look out the window and it went well.

<3Heather , I wish you and your husband a swift resolution to your money concerns. Jake and I have many such concerns but with different details.

<3 Barbie from beautiful windy and rainy NW WA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have company today. Long time friends stopped here for the day & will be headung out tomorrow. They’re travelling in their RV and will be spending the night before heading further south to see other friends. It has been fun hearing about their travel adventures. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Today, like everyday, I had to check my calendar several times to see what I was supposed to be doing. :confused:

Fortunately, I had a little breather from my workload, so I studied for my final exam until lunch, then my husband arrived and we went out for lunch and did a little shopping ... and then went to his appointment.

I've had medical appointments every day for a while now ... his or mine. Tomorrow I've got 2 of mine!! I wouldn't mind having a week with no medical appointments.

We got home a little earlier than I usually get home from work, so I went for a 4 km run, lifted weights, and did some stretching. Oh, and I climbed 22 flights of 20 stairs earlier in the day, plus the walking my husband and I did. a reasonably active day. :)

Now ... I'll be studying until who knows when ... 1 am maybe.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies~
    I am up and having my tea.. got my little fireplace last night and very easy to set up.. once i figure out how to send a picture from my phone ill show you,, its one of the infared ones but still pushes out enough heat to make it worth while... working 10-5 today and then will help Dr Ho tomorrow for an hour or so as he has to finish up a couple of patients...
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth I have the same issue with heartburn related to what time I eat, (or maybe too much coffee??) Anyway, I too am trying to eat earlier and shut down the kitchen, tough this time of year when we're busy making food gifts, I know. Conversation with DYS sounded like it went well, it sure is surreal to imagine them as independent adults <3

Barbie The new ferry trip (and the doc visit) sounded very positive. Hooray.

Heather Moving is one of the top stressors of all time, put a hold or stop on as many new purchases as you can, a new this or that can wait. Sounds like DH is overwhelmed and worried.

Rachel was quite weepy after the Wisdom teeth extractions, she kept asking if I was mad at her in the recovery room! The drs. office sent the pain med Rx to the wrong pharmacy so I was quite upset that we couldn't get relief for her till that was sorted, stressful afternoon. With all of that going on, I had forgotten my mentee had her first concert that evening! Luckily I threw on some concert clothes, drove quickly back to work and made it to help her out. I was so incredibly impressed with her performance and potential, I admit I cried at her most challenging piece, the one we worked on so much together at meetings. I had the privilege of meeting her parents afterwards, so very special.

So the accomplishment for the day will be to go to the gym and walk/jog 2 miles, you all will keep me accountable, yes?

NYKAREN