WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Mary: Can't imagine the pain of such major losses, so close together. :heartbreak: You and Shep look great. LV Fremont Street Experience is cah-raaazeee! I did the zip line that runs over the main party zone.

KarenNY: (((hugs))) to you for making that difficult visit. No surprise that you made someone's day with your kindness and compassion. :heart:

Micheller1210: Welcome! We love having new ladies join us on the journey to radiant good health.

I fasted Christmas Day and intentionally did nothing. DH was being a pill, and I wasn't expecting any calls, so I turned off my phone and computer and hunkered down to listen to podcasts and alot of guided meditations on Insight Timer app. Today I feel great. Went out to see if there was anything in the after-Christmas sales that called to me, and I picked up a 6 lb kettlebell at a great markdown. Came home and made vegetarian pizza using cauliflower crust and washed it down with an AF beer. Sadly, due to the shutdown of the government, our national parks are compromising their services, so today I also cancelled our reservations to go to Yellowstone the first week of January. :cry: Now I'm toying with idea of going to Maui....will see.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, I like the Christmas movies on Hallmark and Lifetime. I've watched a lot of the traditional ones so much that I don't care to watch them any more. I watch them while riding my exercise bike and knitting and wearing headphones and Jake doesn't have to be bothered. He was very sweet to watch with me yesterday since it was Christmas Day and the last movie like that for me for this season.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym, then found out gym closed, then rode to station- 13.59min, 136mhr, 13.1amph, 3mi= 131c
    bike ride puy to sumn sta- 15.42min, 11.6amph, 145mhr, 3mi= 164c
    run sums sta 2 wrk- 4.50min, 9.38min mi, 146mhr, .5mi= 51c
    run wrk 2 sumn sta- 4.27min, 9.51min mi, 149mhr .4mi= 63c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 20.45min, 7.6amph, 147mhr, 2.6mi= 204c

total cal 615
  • gzteach
    gzteach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good evening. I’m new here and will try to be a regular. I see there are some Brits in the group, some Americans too?
    I’m trying to motivate myself to get back into an active lifestyle; since hitting my mid fifties I’ve lost my desire to exercise. I’ve put on about 35 pounds and feel very much out of shape. I know all the right things to do and don’t do them. 🥺 Now I’m approaching mid sixties and want to head off avoidable serious medical issues.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Rebecca- love your living room. Living in an RV we have learned what is really important to us. Family memories and keepsake items have the most value. Your shadow box seems to hold precious medals. We really appreciate your families service.

NYKaren- I'm sorry to hear about Lilian. I love the hospice experience for loved ones. My DFIL had home hospice and his brother had hospice in a facility. The patient and family are very well taken care of. (((Hugs and prayers)))

Barbie- thanks. Shep is truly a gift. I was glad that you were able to line dance a little. How are you doing now?

Pip- love all of your ornaments. Sorry for the pain you still feel loss of a loved one never goes away but you certainly have been blessed with an awesome man in Kirby.

Okie- enjoy New York City! Too bad about the leather jacket! I hope you find something you like.

Rori- Zip Line! I don't know if I will do that! Sounds like a lot of fun though. I love the kettle bell. I'm still using mine but, I work up to 40 pounds and start having issues with my back and have to go down to my 35. I was all the way up to a 45 pound kettle bell but that really bothered my body. I figured that I'm not trying to win any muscle contest so exercise with the lighter weight still burns the calories!! I really love the cauliflower pizza crust. I made my own and it turned out perfect. The key was to get the excess moisture out of the cauliflower by slowly simmering it in a fry pan. I have heard from other people that they have very good options on the market now. What's your favorite?

Janetr- your ornaments are beautiful!! Thanks for sharing them with us. Also you look great by the way!!

<3 Mary from Arizona
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Yep, Mary, his last ship he was on, he retired from the Navy, so they presented that shadow box to him. We paired down prior to moving, so we don't have a lot. Now son has more stuff, (Legos primarily), than us! One of us rooms!

j62tg8uvpwzr.jpg
    tv61qwk94f7f.jpg
    Crazy huh! But he loves them, and its a relaxing hobby.

💗Rebecca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- I think it's very cool!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I'm envying your minimalist rooms. I would love to get my decorations down, but DH likes them for now. I think over in the UK we put them up a bit later than you do, but they generally stay up until Twelfth Night, or at least until after New Year.
    I would live to live in a white cube, with a few carefully curated items, like a modern art museum. I find it so restful. Unfortunately, my lifestyle and DH's doesn't lend itself to the minimalist look. If I lived alone I might give it a try. I would need big white wall cupboards though!!!

Welcome new people! :D We all started somewhere. I was obese, with awful, painful knees and hips, high blood pressure, and depressed at the way I looked. I took no exercise to speak of.
    Over 18 months I gradually changed all that. It wasn't fast, but it worked, and I have kept it off, lost a bit more and am now running 5k several times a week as well as other home exercises. It can be done, as I am now 69. :o (Can't believe it)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    My Christmas decorations will definitely stay up till Epiphany at least, and usually till Australia Day. :) I like the decorations and figure 2 months is almost too short.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Boxing Day ... 12 minutes on a rowing machine + weights and walking.

Day after Boxing Day ...

18.5 km cycling
    3.5 km running on treadmill
    Plus some walking!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    gzteach wrote: »
    Good evening. I’m new here and will try to be a regular. I see there are some Brits in the group, some Americans too?
    I’m trying to motivate myself to get back into an active lifestyle; since hitting my mid fifties I’ve lost my desire to exercise. I’ve put on about 35 pounds and feel very much out of shape. I know all the right things to do and don’t do them. 🥺 Now I’m approaching mid sixties and want to head off avoidable serious medical issues.

Welcome Glad you found us, come often, we are a chatty group. Please let us know what name you would like to be called and a general location where you are. The smallest of actions, done consistently can make such a difference. Just keep getting up and moving, even if its just a little bit, it will make a difference over the long haul. I was quite sedentary but bit by bit, got myself up and moving and it has made all the difference to my emotional and physical health.

Today is a day of errands and bill paying but first, gym time. I can feel myself getting excited about reviewing annual goals and resetting for the new year, I've asked Rachel to look for a fun run/5K in dc for us to run/jog/walk in April, I think it would be a nice way to celebrate getting more fit.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Hello to all of the new girls and WELCOME!

I didn't think I had anything to add, but then remembered about my visit with my husbands folks yesterday. Hubby didn't come with me as he is still only comfortable flat on his back with his legs elevated. So...I arrived at the inlaws place a little before 2:00. My mil was asleep and slept through the majority of the visit. Her husband even fell asleep for about an hour. Thank goodness I get along with their "helper", Betty. She and I talked about the holidays and her family and we passed the time chatting. My mil woke up about 4:30 when I was getting dinner ready. She woke up madder than a wet cat. She didn't want any help getting in and out of her chair (she got it anyway, because she just doesn't have the strength to do it), she didn't want us to talk to her and she even turned her chair away from me when I sat down to talk to her. lol Ah, the joys of dementia. I am pretty sure she didn't recognize me, but was the most civil to me. I managed to get her to eat; but she wouldn't come to the table because "she didn't want to sit with them". So hard to watch her like this. She continued to talk about leaving and trying to get out of her chair. We ended up giving her a bit of ativan (sp?) to ease the anxiety. She was falling back to sleep when I left at about 6. Hopefully the night went well and she woke this morning in a better mood. She has had a LOT of visitors the past two or three days, and has been forcing herself to stay awake and visit with them and I can't help but think that THAT was part of the craziness, yesterday. Oh well, it was nice to get back home last night and just be able to sit.

Today I will do a little painting and begin planning my calendar for my daycare year.

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Ma
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My Christmas decorations will definitely stay up till Epiphany at least, and usually till Australia Day. :) I like the decorations and figure 2 months is almost too short.

I am on your page. It takes so long to get everything out that I do not start to take things down until Epiphany too. I get most indoor down by MLK day here. Outside lights stay out until the end of January. It tends to be cold and dark here so I like leaving outside lights out longer. At the end of the season last year I got an lighted angel that is praying for the outside. This year I bought the store display of two white doves. I have them by the angel and they look perfect there. The angel and birds stand right by the steps to our front door.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • gzteach
    gzteach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Gayle from Texas here. Grandkids are coming today and I promised the 7 yo we would go roller skating. It’s been many years so I hope it comes back to me!
    I keep my decorations up tilll at least epiphany also, and in fact I have one more Christmas celebration still this year, well actually next year.
    Barbiecat I love the train decoration also. I still ooh and aah over lights.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kelly Coffee Meyers 30 Minutes to Fitness Body Training DVD.

Bonnie – loved your making do. Did you make that tree skirt?

Pip – I’m sure they’re being overlycautions about your boob.

Katla – I have heard about Dr. Pol, what channel is he on? What time?

Thursday here. Did Kelly Coffee Meyer’s DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT.

We had a power failure last night so I just finished my diary now. This is the longest the power has been out since we’ve moved here – about 5 hours. We put the fireplace on in the living room and by the time we got ready for bed, you could feel a big difference in the temperature in the bathroom so we decided to sleep in the livingroom. Well, Shadow kept pawing at the door so I finally slept in the room with her.

A big welcome to everyone new! This is a wonderful group of ladies.

NYKaren – how sad about your SIL’s mother! That was so wonderful of you to go visit her

Rori – Maui certainly sounds better than Yellowstone! I know you’ll have a great time

Gayle– not only are there Brits and Americans here, you’ll find people from places like Australia, we’ve had people from Africa, even the North Pole to name a few. Be careful rollerskating. Many years ago dh took the kids ice skating. Well, he fell and had a compression fracture of the back. Be safe.

M – when is Australia Day? I’m shooting to get all the decorations down and put away before we go to FL. Hope it happens

Barbie – LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that train. Wonder where they got it?

Better post this

Michele in NC