Whoa- I had no idea there were that many calories in X. Foods to avoid.

Options

Replies

• lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well I don't really tell myself on avoiding food but subconsciously I do. Like avocados I thought were healthy but I overate them and I wasn't seeing progress
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter/nut butters 😭

Am I the only one who thinks that peanut butter isn't really all that high calorie?

Some peanut butters/nut butters are 170-180 calories & I'll usually have 1.5 servings & find that's more than enough for a rice cake or to eat on its own.

Not sure about the calories - but i think I am only one on here who doesnt like the stuff - reason I dont know about the calories is because I have never eaten any in my entire 5 years of calorie tracking ;)

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like peanut butter. Don't hate it, don't mind the flavor, but the idea of eating it does not appeal to me.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I really did not make the connection that milkshakes and lattes had SO many calories. Years ago when I didn't log, I would have imagined a medium strawberry shake to be similar in calories to a one scoop strawberry sundae, and a peppermint mocha from Starbucks to be similar to having a large coffee at home with a couple tbsp. of peppermint creamer in it. SOOOOO wrong on both counts! lol

Omg totally. Basically any flavored coffee drink shocks me. In calories AND sugar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I really did not make the connection that milkshakes and lattes had SO many calories. Years ago when I didn't log, I would have imagined a medium strawberry shake to be similar in calories to a one scoop strawberry sundae, and a peppermint mocha from Starbucks to be similar to having a large coffee at home with a couple tbsp. of peppermint creamer in it. SOOOOO wrong on both counts! lol

Omg totally. Basically any flavored coffee drink shocks me. In calories AND sugar.

I am glad I'm not the only one! This kind of thing floored me. I remember when I initially jointed MFP in 2013, I was like "this is crazy, I used to get mochas and lattes around 350-450 cal ALL THE TIME and now I am having a Snickers ice cream bar (250 cal) weekly for a treat and it's less calories?!"
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    I poured a bowl of granola tonight in the amount I wanted to eat and it was over 600 calories without milk. Poured it back in the bag and has something else instead.

Good mindfulness!

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    frau5 wrote: »
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Unrealistic calorie deficit. Why? because eventually you will start adding back more calories as 1200 is not sustainable for the vast majority of people. Especially sedentary people.

And last but not least...a sustained calorie deficit at 1200 calories can cause more than just weight loss. Too few calories can cause a host of health issues. So ask yourself, is it worth losing weight if you are compromising your health?

I'm also on a 1200 calorie eating plan and that was set by my dietician. I've met with her for the past 3 months and she reviews my food logs to make sure the calories I'm ingesting are mostly from veggies and lean meats. There are some days I'm really hungry but most days I'm content with the amount I'm eating. I don't go to bed hungry. It helps to spread out the calories into several smaller meals.

As for which foods surprised me were high in calories, almost all salad dressings. I love Ranch and haven't found a good low cal version or a good substitute.

Bolthouse dressings are good.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Water.. 120 calories. Only found out after the fact, I mean really, it's water!! And vitamins!!

I really like the Vitamin Water Zero - it's Stevia. If you are used to/don't mind that Stevia aftertaste, it's pretty satisfying
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Am I the only one who thinks that peanut butter isn't really all that high calorie?

Some peanut butters/nut butters are 170-180 calories & I'll usually have 1.5 servings & find that's more than enough for a rice cake or to eat on its own.

I have a weird relationship with peanut butter. When I weigh out a portion and stick to it I find it is plenty and as you say not really that bad calorie wise. But if I throw caution to the wind and just mindlessly scoop PB onto bread or into a smoothie or god forbid grab the jar and a spoon, I could easily eat 1,000 calories of it in no time.

For me PB and dry cereal were shockers. Not for the # of calories per serving, but for how much more than a serving I thought was a serving! Both are foods I don't go near without a food scale.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I have a weird relationship with peanut butter. When I weigh out a portion and stick to it I find it is plenty and as you say not really that bad calorie wise. But if I throw caution to the wind and just mindlessly scoop PB onto bread or into a smoothie or god forbid grab the jar and a spoon, I could easily eat 1,000 calories of it in no time.

For me PB and dry cereal were shockers. Not for the # of calories per serving, but for how much more than a serving I thought was a serving! Both are foods I don't go near without a food scale.

Just curious, are you a nutritionist?

Nope.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Nope.

That's what I figured, thanks.

Are you?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Nope.

Do you have some insight that she may be missing? Curious.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Nope.

Do you have some insight that she may be missing? Curious.

nope
    Good to know, thanks.