Whoa- I had no idea there were that many calories in X. Foods to avoid.

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    IsETHome wrote: »
    I’m really interested in my initial query. What foods surprised you. X

For me, it would be restaurant foods more than anything. Trying to find a reasonably sized meal in a restaurant with a calorie amount that doesn't send me over is so difficult. It takes some serious planning, and eating very little for the rest of the day.

Also trying to find one that isn’t boring taste wise.

I’m shocked at times how high milkshakes are. I think the smallest Arby’s Andes Mint Shake is around 700+ calories?

Sonic Snicker's Blast is 500 calories for the mini (and that thing is tiny!) I used to get the large :flushed: No wonder I was fat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

For me, it would be restaurant foods more than anything. Trying to find a reasonably sized meal in a restaurant with a calorie amount that doesn't send me over is so difficult. It takes some serious planning, and eating very little for the rest of the day.

Also trying to find one that isn’t boring taste wise, but still isn’t a truckload of calories.

I’m shocked at times how high milkshakes are. I think the smallest Arby’s Andes Mint Shake is around 700+ calories?

Now that you mention it, I think milkshakes might have been my biggest surprise. I mean, I knew they weren't diet food :lol: but when I realized splurging on a milk shake was basically doubling my meal's calories? Holy cow! I find myself bargaining in my head with stuff like that... Ok, it's worth... 300 cals, maybe 400. Look it up... 800 cals! Nope sorry, I have to pass.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I mean, I knew they weren't diet food :lol: but when I realized splurging on a milk shake was basically doubling my meal's calories? Holy cow! I find myself bargaining in my head with stuff like that... Ok, it's worth... 300 cals, maybe 400. Look it up... 800 cals! Nope sorry, I have to pass.

I hear ya. I think I now splurge on a milkshake a couple times a year at most, and plan my day around it.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Also trying to find one that isn’t boring taste wise, but still isn’t a truckload of calories.

Now that you mention it, I think milkshakes might have been my biggest surprise. I mean, I knew they weren't diet food :lol: but when I realized splurging on a milk shake was basically doubling my meal's calories? Holy cow! I find myself bargaining in my head with stuff like that... Ok, it's worth... 300 cals, maybe 400. Look it up... 800 cals! Nope sorry, I have to pass.

It sucks! I could eat almost a half of a container of Breyers/Turkey Hill or a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream & feel more satisfied than drinking a milkshake.

Even though I don't necessarily love Breyers their Chips Ahoy/Oreo Blasts ice cream is actually really good & I can eat 6 servings for around 780 calories & have a monster bowl of ice cream (usually only do this during TOM/maintenance diet breaks).

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid anything. Everything in moderation.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Nearly all foods surprised me at first-mainly because I don’t really know what calories meant. I had a vague notion of “healthy” eating, and I’d done weight watchers a few times so I had an idea of foods that were low in points, but I was drinking over 800 calories in just plain regular coffee a day when I started. EVERYTHING was a shock.

However, after 7 years of this, I can say that I’m quite pleased that I didn’t take the approach of eliminating foods arbitrarily based on calorie count. Or designating foods as “bad” because they are higher in calories. Lots of “healthy” foods are not particularly low in calories and many “unhealthy” foods are.

On most occasions, I have made alternate choices (using artificial sweetener and no cream for coffee), eating more veggies than starches (personal preference as starches doesn’t typically fill me up), choosing leaner meats/proteins, choosing to avoid (but not entirely eliminate) foods that I don’t enjoy enough to make them worth the calories (peanut butter, nuts, cheese-all of which are perfectly fine foods) also occasionally having cookies, cakes, donuts, ice cream, pizza, etc. because life is way too short to never eat those things again.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    To (attempt) to get this thing back on track, I finally thought of something not worth the calories to me any more that I would be perfectly happy to never eat again. It will get me a lot of hate and woos. I just really don't like them enough to consider spending calories on them that could be put to better use elsewhere (like chocolate).
    Doughnuts.

I had such high hopes for a friendship based on cake.

Now I’m questioning everything.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Pasta. 200 calorie serving (weighed dry) is just - pathetic and makes me want to cry big dragon tears.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    To (attempt) to get this thing back on track, I finally thought of something not worth the calories to me any more that I would be perfectly happy to never eat again. It will get me a lot of hate and woos. I just really don't like them enough to consider spending calories on them that could be put to better use elsewhere (like chocolate).
    Doughnuts.

:cry: Please, I can explain!

How do you feel about kolaches? :smiley:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    Doughnuts.

I suppose I can take solace that more donuts are left for me.

And anything that starts with pastry sounds good to me.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Doughnuts.

I suppose I can take solace that more donuts are left for me.

And anything that starts with pastry sounds good to me.

Well I've already promised some to @jjpptt2 so you guys might have to share.

Kolaches are the best! I'm changing my answer from muffins to kolaches, officially.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    liquid Nyquil has ~100 calories per tablespoon. yikes
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Wha?????
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    A big plate of pasta like one would get in an Italian restaurant has 400 calories. I don't think that's so bad. Add a tablespoon of butter, roasted garlic, some clam juice and a half dozen jumbo shrimp and you got 550 calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    A big plate of pasta like one would get in an Italian restaurant has 400 calories. I don't think that's so bad. Add a tablespoon of butter, roasted garlic, some clam juice and a half dozen jumbo shrimp and you got 550 calories.

That really depends on how much pasta you get on your plate:

https://www.verywellfit.com/the-best-italian-food-for-dieters-3495452
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

There are sugar free cough syrups out there if this bothers you.

• sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Coconut. 1Tbs 210 calories. 21 gm carbs. 1/6 my calories and 1/5 my carbs. 90 gm sodium (I can only have 1500 due to Chronic kidney disease). And I just wanted a little nibble of something and didn’t check. Lesson learned
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Lol 400 calories of pasta is definitely not 'a big plate'.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Lol 400 calories of pasta is definitely not 'a big plate'.

Wishful thinking lol
    That big plate of pasta from proper italian restaurant with sauce and all the trimmings you are most likely looking at 1500cal.

It's clear the poster means before the sauce, as she goes on to describe what's added.

I think 200 cal of pasta is a reasonable amount (I weigh it out and am always satisfied), and that 400 cal would be a large amount. I tend to prefer to spend more cals on the sauce and less on the pasta, and always have a large volume of sauce including protein and vegetables.

IME, Italian restaurants vary a lot on portion size. There are some here that are known for huge amounts, and I think they are more like 3x normal serving, but there are also some (usually the higher end) that are closer to an actual portion size. Calories are still high, but because of high cal ingredients in the rest of the food, not enormous amounts of pasta.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

There are sugar free cough syrups out there if this bothers you.

Doesn't bother me, was just saying I was surprised by this. Appreciate the insight though... :smiley: