Whoa- I had no idea there were that many calories in X. Foods to avoid.

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Peanut butter/nut butters 😭

Am I the only one who thinks that peanut butter isn't really all that high calorie?

Some peanut butters/nut butters are 170-180 calories & I'll usually have 1.5 servings & find that's more than enough for a rice cake or to eat on its own.

I have a weird relationship with peanut butter. When I weigh out a portion and stick to it I find it is plenty and as you say not really that bad calorie wise. But if I throw caution to the wind and just mindlessly scoop PB onto bread or into a smoothie or god forbid grab the jar and a spoon, I could easily eat 1,000 calories of it in no time.

For me PB and dry cereal were shockers. Not for the # of calories per serving, but for how much more than a serving I thought was a serving! Both are foods I don't go near without a food scale.

Just curious, are you a nutritionist?

Nope.

That's what I figured, thanks.

Do you have some insight that she may be missing? Curious.

nope
    Good to know, thanks.

I also don't have 10,000 posts spewing nonsense like its fact.

When you get to 10,000 posts, you can spew nonsense too. Hurry.

It feels A M A Z I N G!

Imagine what you'll get to spew when you hit 20k!!!

I am imagining my gradual decline into snark, memes, and then eventual keyboard-slapping-as-reaction the closer I get to the magical 5-digits.

That's a fair assessment :neutral:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Am I the only one who thinks that peanut butter isn't really all that high calorie?

Some peanut butters/nut butters are 170-180 calories & I'll usually have 1.5 servings & find that's more than enough for a rice cake or to eat on its own.

I have a weird relationship with peanut butter. When I weigh out a portion and stick to it I find it is plenty and as you say not really that bad calorie wise. But if I throw caution to the wind and just mindlessly scoop PB onto bread or into a smoothie or god forbid grab the jar and a spoon, I could easily eat 1,000 calories of it in no time.

For me PB and dry cereal were shockers. Not for the # of calories per serving, but for how much more than a serving I thought was a serving! Both are foods I don't go near without a food scale.

@pinuplove

Nope.

nope
    Good to know, thanks.

It feels A M A Z I N G!

I am imagining my gradual decline into snark, memes, and then eventual keyboard-slapping-as-reaction the closer I get to the magical 5-digits.

Oh, I'm sure you were snarky from day 1.
  • pinuplove
    Options

@pinuplove

Nope.

nope
    Good to know, thanks.

It feels A M A Z I N G!

Oh, I'm sure you were snarky from day 1.

f714ccdd029a1094d7a2d8f56be60b8e3f12.jpg

OK, that actually made me giggle :laugh:

@Tacklewasher I was still sweet and innocent back then! :innocent:
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    There are no good or bad foods IMHO. If you would have asked me 2 years ago, I would have not agreed. Food, for me, are divided into things that either help me stay full and hit my targets, or don't. While I will not completely cut any food out of my diet, i do limit many. I tend not to have a stop button sometimes. After the amount of weight I lost and how rapidly I did it, not to mention how lean I am still, I tend to be hungry A LOT! By choosing lower energy dense, less palatable foods. I limit my chances of over eating. I cant quote the research right now, but there is some stating that over Hyperpalitable foods can stimulate appetite. Something I wish to avoid. That is all, soldier on.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    To (attempt) to get this thing back on track, I finally thought of something not worth the calories to me any more that I would be perfectly happy to never eat again. It will get me a lot of hate and woos. I just really don't like them enough to consider spending calories on them that could be put to better use elsewhere (like chocolate).
    Doughnuts.

I actually really agree with you here. They almost always taste stale to me. There are way more baked or fried sweets that I'd rather have.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    To (attempt) to get this thing back on track, I finally thought of something not worth the calories to me any more that I would be perfectly happy to never eat again. It will get me a lot of hate and woos. I just really don't like them enough to consider spending calories on them that could be put to better use elsewhere (like chocolate).
    Doughnuts.

I'm on the fence about this. I won't say no to one (I really wish I could tho) but they really aren't worth the calories. I've found a nice compromise with the Little Debbies donut sticks. 220 calories and they're the old fashioned buttermilk which is the one type of donut I will NEVER say no to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Doughnuts.

I actually really agree with you here. They almost always taste stale to me. There are way more baked or fried sweets that I'd rather have.

Hot, fresh from the oil British sea-side ring do-nuts though... I usually ask them to hold most of the added sugar though - that can get a bit much

sugar-coated-donuts-390x260.jpg

Om nom nom :bigsmile:
  • psychod787
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed this? We tend to be a food focused bunch. Huh...??
  • psychod787
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed this? We tend to be a food focused bunch. Huh...??

I mean, FOOD is right there in the sub-forum title :lol:

But food is an important component of my life above and beyond survival, anyway. It's a bit of a hobby. My husband and I enjoy shopping and cook together. We watch TV shows and YouTube videos about cooking. We search out unique places to eat when we travel. Family social functions are very food-centric (quite common). Food is much more than fuel to me.

Food ie 90% fuel and 10% enjoy for me. There ate certain things I would have turned my nose up at some years ago, now I just love. Oh, and my pick for not worth it. Hot Pockets. Taste horrid l, full of calories for no satiety, and give me awful heart burn!
  • pinuplove
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Doughnuts.

I'm on the fence about this. I won't say no to one (I really wish I could tho) but they really aren't worth the calories. I've found a nice compromise with the Little Debbies donut sticks. 220 calories and they're the old fashioned buttermilk which is the one type of donut I will NEVER say no to.

I think anything prepackaged would hold even higher disappointment for me. If I were to eat a doughnut, it would be a blueberry cake doughnut. But at that point, might as well have cake or a muffin!
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I’m really interested in my initial query. What foods surprised you. X
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My heaping 1/3 cup of oatmeal before I cooked it. I got a food scale and weighed that whomping 1/3 cup and I was really surprised by how many calories I was actually eating.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Hot, fresh from the oil British sea-side ring do-nuts though... I usually ask them to hold most of the added sugar though - that can get a bit much

sugar-coated-donuts-390x260.jpg
    [/quote]

These look fantastic but they do look high calorie wise. Were they even higher than you thought?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    I’m really interested in my initial query. What foods surprised you. X

For me, it would be restaurant foods more than anything. Trying to find a reasonably sized meal in a restaurant with a calorie amount that doesn't send me over is so difficult. It takes some serious planning, and eating very little for the rest of the day.