January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Looking for a unique marathon this spring? Consider the Sandlot Marathon just northwest of Minneapolis. Complete with 384 opportunities to visit the aid station, serving hot dog flavored Heed!

https://sandlotmarathon.com/

here's a video of the Strava Flyby for the race:
    https://www.facebook.com/SandlotMarathon/videos/2158026044412783/

I'm so tempted to register for this one.

OMG, that sounds horrible and awesome at the same time!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    medmuso wrote: »
    Joining a little late here, but my healthy January was somewhat scuppered by a proposal from my now fiance (eek!) yesterday. So... Good from tomorrow.

I've had a long time off running, so am going to aim for a very modest 25 miles as a starter. I'm new to the challenge/group, so hi everyone! :)

My 2019 goals are:
    1. Lose 2 stone (especially important now a wedding dress is on the horizon)
    2. Run a half marathon in less than 2 hours
    3. Be able to do proper chin ups and press ups (taking this one slowly as I broke my wrist in October)

Good luck with all your goals guys. Hope 2019 is good to you! X

Congratulations!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks @PastorVincent for checking to see what happened to @medmuso. I somehow missed that too!

Congratulations @medmuso! That's so exciting.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I did get one bargain in the sales. My sports bras are usuly around $60 (can't be bothered converting, just halve them it's approximate, also I'm a 10E so a really awkward size - I think that's 32...).Yesterday there was an outlet shop that had them for $15 each. Bargain. Then I found out they were 40% off again. So basically $9 each. I got 3.
    Great deal. I think I would have gotten more than 3!!! I have a hard time finding a sports bra that I like and fits well.

Congratulations to you too, @louubelle16 !
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @medmuso Congratulations! My training last week was equally set back a few days for that same reason, but if there were ever a good excuse to miss a run I reckon that’s it!

@Elise4270 I have never flown for longer than 3hrs, so I can’t help, but I am very jealous of your anatomy colouring book. More details, please :smile:

Haha! I’m that weird kid that wants a purpose for everything. I got it after or just before a surgery as an idle learning activity. The first book I purchased was tabers medical dictionary. I loved to read it. Ohh I can take it too. Nice! I may look. Into an electronic format.

I did download lots of Netflix. I have not figure out how on you tube yet, but am satisfied with the netflix options. I’m tickled to be able to put headphones on a escape the mass of people on the plane. Dh mentioned about how many of them fart. Ugh. Jokes on him really because I know the plane has really a good fart removal system and he’s usually the farter so I can scowl at him as I pass him the gas x.

@HonuNui we’re flying American. The trips to Georgia on delta all had charging ports so I’m counting on it with AA.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @HonuNui we’re flying American. The trips to Georgia on delta all had charging ports so I’m counting on it with AA.

I would bring battery packs just in case. American may or may not have charging ports - and if they do they may or may not work. I would not bet my sanity on that. :)

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    So, I have that long flight Friday and I have no idea how to spend my time.

Dh suggested a book. I don’t read.
    Then suggested an audio book. Of what? And sit for hours listening to the same voice drone on? Ugh.
    I can’t listen to music, because there’s no service. I can’t surf the mfp group. Or watch a movie.

I have an anatomy coloring book which will keep me interested all of 5 minutes until I get disoriented, yes I packed Dramamine. What if I drop a pencil like a little kid? Jeez.

I have my running plans made out through the end of April. What the heck am I gonna do?

I catch up on work emails. Not sure what you do but I always find doing work makes the hours fly by. But them I am always behind on work email.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    So, I have that long flight Friday and I have no idea how to spend my time.

Dh suggested a book. I don’t read.
    Then suggested an audio book. Of what? And sit for hours listening to the same voice drone on? Ugh.
    I can’t listen to music, because there’s no service. I can’t surf the mfp group. Or watch a movie.

I have an anatomy coloring book which will keep me interested all of 5 minutes until I get disoriented, yes I packed Dramamine. What if I drop a pencil like a little kid? Jeez.

I have my running plans made out through the end of April. What the heck am I gonna do?

I catch up on work emails. Not sure what you do but I always find doing work makes the hours fly by. But them I am always behind on work email.

For a very long flight, I would bring a variety.

Books to read
    Books to write
    Movies to watch
    Buy Wifi for web to surf (caution it is usually very slow internet but worth the $5 still)
    ipad/iphone Games to play
    ipad and pencil for doodling.
    Headphones (my Bose even have airplane adapters for the planes that still need them)

And every battery pack I have :D
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @medmuso!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Scott6255 and @Shanaber thanks for the welcome back. Things are slowly getting back to normal. The college signed Skip’s NCAA waiver finally, we did a tour of a school she’s interested in, right now she’s working and will start at the local community college next week. She’s still sad and embarrassed at her role in this. I hate to even type this but I recently found out she left the scene of an accident. She said there was no damage so she didn’t think it was a thing to stay, yeah I don’t believe that but I know she was scared of the kids at school following her while she was living in the hotel so I can see how she was stressed. But she hit a guy with a dash cam. They got out she begged him not to call police to call me and he says no. They were at a red light she thought he started to go he did not and she hit him in the rear. She called the police from here and she had to go back to Georgia and turn herself in to the police. She was scared to death for obvious reasons. The cop was great told her how much trouble she was really in, like she could be arrested, then apologized for making her come there. Seems his boss wantec to make a big deal. He agreed there was just a small scratch on the guys car. He boss was making him write her a ticket so he write it for driving too closely and apologized when he handed it to her. He told me everything she said was backed up the dash cam and the guy was being a jerk. Hey if she hit me I’d be a jerk too. She was very thankful and humble as I stood back and watched her deal with it. It took her whole paycheck to pay the fine. It certainly has been a few months of life lessons for her and quite frankly hell for me. She really is a great kid who let herself get caught up in *kitten* she couldn’t handle. It just breaks my heart to see. But she’s home and getting it together and that is all that matters. Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone who has been direct messaging me, I really appreciate it.

I am so glad to hear that she is free of that college and safely home with you! Healing and restoration can really begin now.
  • zeesparrow
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Hugs to you both. What an ordeal, on top of all the rest. I'm glad the college signed the waiver so she can move on.
  • zeesparrow
    Options
    I almost forgot, @Elise4270, many have mentioned lots of options in addition to buying internet on the plane. When we went to Hawaii, internet wasn't available on the plane. Something about being over the ocean. So download all you can and be prepared in case it is not available!