Options

Replies

• msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    January Totals: Goal 35 Miles
    1/1/19: 4.55 Miles: Total Miles to Date: 4.55 Miles
    1/3/19: 3.985 Miles: Total Miles to Date: 8.535 Miles

Thanks everyone for all the info on heart rate and HR Zones. I guess I will just keep on keeping on until I have a concern to re-evaluate. For me when I see that my heart rate recovers as quickly as it does I don’t think there is a problem, I just think I am pushing my body further to improve it.

Today, I just walked, but did some hill work. On a 12% incline my heart rate climbed to over 160, but as soon as I was back on the flat surface, my heart rate plummeted back to under 130 within a minute or two, sometimes as low as 122.

Tomorrow is my next run day. I am going to try to keep the mileage lower than I have been because I feel like I have been doing a little too much. I had original estimated 35 miles for the month because I was expecting to run 2-3 miles a day, but have been doing 4 or more. I have noticed a little twinge in my left shin when I stand for a long period while at my desk, so I am going to back off on the run mileage. That is not to say I won’t still try to get in a lengthy walking workout after my 2-3 mile run tomorrow.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    I am new to Strava, so I was messing around with the route builder function to try out some new loops in my neighborhood. I built a 6 mile route and when I ran it, I was almost a mile short! I had to do some doubling back to finish out the last mile. I tracked the run in Strava too, and when I went back and checked the GPS map, I did the run as planned, so I'm not sure why there is such a discrepancy. A tenth or two wouldn't have surprised me, but a mile on a total distance of only 6 miles? Has anyone else had this happen with the Strava route planner?

Otherwise the run was fine. Weather was good. Went nice and slow since 6 miles is a long run for me. It felt long, but I think that was mostly because I had a finish line in mind and it moved on me!

Jan miles: 8.7 miles
    Jan goal: 45 miles

2019 Races:

Piney Woods Trailfest 5k - 2/2/2019 registered
    Rodeo Run 10k - 2/23/2019 registered
    Run Houston! Minute Maid Park 10k - 3/23/2019 registered
    Brazos Bend 50 10k - 4/6/2019 registered
    Galveston Island Wine Festival Champagne Fun Run 5k - 4/27/2019
    Women's Quarter Marathon - 5/2019
    El Chupacabra de Houston 10k (night trail run) - 8/2019
    TWRC Run WIld Run Free 5k - 9/2019
    10 for Texas 10 Miler - 10/2019 registration opens Jan 2019
    Wine and Dine half marathon - 11/3/2019

Also doing the team challenge for Run the Year 2019 - Team Five for Nineteen
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @martaindale Do you have auto pause turned on? I don't use Strava but have heard others say that it tends to pause sometimes when it shouldn't.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Ha @7lenny7!
    Ias I read your post after I posted mine you reminded me about how much heat can impact your HR (mine is much higher when it is hot out) and I have used it successfully in races where I have not looked at pace but run to keep my HR in a specific range for xx miles and then allowed it to go higher as I headed for the last few miles into the finish.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Ha @7lenny7!
    Ias I read your post after I posted mine you reminded me about how much heat can impact your HR (mine is much higher when it is hot out) and I have used it successfully in races where I have not looked at pace but run to keep my HR in a specific range for xx miles and then allowed it to go higher as I headed for the last few miles into the finish.

@shanaber that's exactly what I do. When I was a new runner none of the HR data meant much to me but over time I was able to understand what I was looking at and how my HR reacted to different paces and conditions. I now know what HR to target for different races. 172 for a 5k, 162 to 165 for an HM, 145 or under for a 50k. If I were to race these distances more often I probably wouldn't need to rely on HR data as much but it works very well for me.

Your advice to track HR now to look for trends later is spot on.