January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    msarobix wrote: »
    When my heart rate is between 150-160 I feel fine. In the low 150’s I feel like I could easily carry on a conversation and possibly even sing, and sometimes I do sing just to make sure I am not working too hard. It really isn’t until my heart rate is over 160 for more than a few minutes that it start to get a little harder, I am still not gasping for breath by any stretch, but I definitely wouldn’t be able to sing. I could talk, but it would only be a few words at a time.

If you can sing in the low 150's then that's exactly where you should be. Don't get lost in the data. You don't need to know your HR at all if you follow the guiding concept of "conversational pace". Don't judge yourself on your pace. It takes quite a bit of time time for your body to make the adaptations to allow you to run at a faster pace for a given effort. Patience and consistency is key. Keep at it, slowly, and you will improve.

That equation 220 - age = max HR is notoriously flawed. I wouldn't base anything on that. The good news is that you don't need to know your max HR.

People get injured when they try to do too much, too fast, too soon.

So far I agree with @7lenny7 on all he said about HR. Let me add a few of my own personal opinions:

FIRST I AM NOT A DOCTOR - if you are really concerned about your heart, GO SEE A CARDIOLOGIST that knows sports medicine.

Okay, I would say this. I no longer train by HR at all. HR is a reactive state, not a proactive one. That means it trails behind what you are actually doing. So for things like fartleks, intervals, run/walk and so on, it is just too slow of a measure to depend on. Assuming you have a healthy fully functional heart, it knows what to do, let it.

Run by feel. Learn to run by feel. With time it will become far more accurate than anything else.

If you want to ACCURATELY know your heart zones, you will need a lab and like $100 or $200 dollars, something like that. There are sports medicine places that will give you a full workup, including VOMax and so on. I am skeptical at the use case, but if I wanted to know accurately I would do that.

For a rough idea, I must first state, I AM NOT A DOCTOR - if you are really concerned about your heart, GO SEE A CARDIOLOGIST that knows sports medicine.

DO NOT READ inside the tags unless you are sure of your heart health. Check with a doctor. I personally have a heart condition and would not do this.
    To find your max heart rate, start with a day you are well rested. FInd a decent size hill. Run around for a bit warming up. Once you feel warm enough (probably like 15 mins) start doing hill repeats. That is sprint up the hill hard, then run slow down, sprint up hard, then slow down, over and over until you can not do anymore.

THEN DO NOT SIT DOWN - run slow/walk a cooldown. If you did this right, and sit down, you are extremely likely to pass out. A slow easy cooldown is required.

Once done, go back through your HR recordings on your watch or chest strap. Pick the max rate, and that will be really close to your real max.

Once you have your max you can then plug that number into the zone charts and use them if you really want, but eh, I do not. :)
  • ActiveAmbrosia
    ActiveAmbrosia Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    As most of you know, I am a newbie to running. I am also an analyst and so I study everything I become interested in. I have discovered that my easy runs are probably not as easy as they should be. My heart rate is regularly above where it should be for those runs.

So...with that being said, I am also researching wearables that are better suited to running. I currently have a FitBit Charge 2. I like the diagnostics it provides but don't care about the social aspect. I would like something with a GPS and notifications if I am getting above my target HR. I don't want to be looking at my wrist all the time, especially since I run in cold weather and have gloves on when I'm running. I have seen some that include music download options but the reviews for the music seem to be hit or miss.

You've given me good advice in the past. What wearables do you/have you use(d)? What do you like/not like about them?

I love my Garmin VivosmartHr+! I've only used Garmin and like them a lot
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    By the end of the day I should be at almost 16 miles for the month. Just 104 more to go for my stretch goal.

@MobyCarp What were those gloves you were talking about with the wind shield? I really need to upgrade my gloves for the colder week or two that we have here down in AZ and I'm looking for recommendations to keep my hands warm. I have what would probably be considered a light weight pair and my hands are useless by the ends of my runs.

I have an older model, but it's similar to these gloves. The yellow mitt can be put over the fingers or removed while on the run, in response to temperature, wind, and warm up status changes. Any running store should carry something similar so you can look at a sample in person and see whether they'd work for you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Azercord wrote: »
    By the end of the day I should be at almost 16 miles for the month. Just 104 more to go for my stretch goal.

@MobyCarp What were those gloves you were talking about with the wind shield? I really need to upgrade my gloves for the colder week or two that we have here down in AZ and I'm looking for recommendations to keep my hands warm. I have what would probably be considered a light weight pair and my hands are useless by the ends of my runs.

I have an older model, but it's similar to these gloves. The yellow mitt can be put over the fingers or removed while on the run, in response to temperature, wind, and warm up status changes. Any running store should carry something similar so you can look at a sample in person and see whether they'd work for you.

I am a HUGE fan of these now...

ossbbao2vss5.png
    There are $20 on Amazon.com

They have a built-in pocket for a hand warmer. The only way they would be better is if they came touchscreen ready (but you can do that yourself at home).