January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• albryce744
    albryce744 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to do my jog outside, it is unseasonably warm (almost spring weather rather than January weather)

So I noticed that I am fine running as long as I have head phones and music to listen too (even if it gets annoying) or watching tv while I am indoors...keeping my mind off my body has really helped with the longevity of the run. I have tried without but my mind concerns itself with What my body is doing and it seems I quit a lot sooner and give a lot less effort or too much effort all at once. I was wondering how other people keep their mind off their body while running?

I like to run with friends that like to talk a lot (bonus, they help keep me accountable to even get out the door)...or music when I'm by myself....
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Still no run for me yet in 2019. Hopefully on Friday. I am still babying my foot and Hobbes the Vizsla has been traumatized and isn't much interested in going out with me :(

Glad to see you could run today, but what's up with Hobbes?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eek this is a scary story.
    i'm glad the staff recognized the signs of a stroke
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to do my jog outside, it is unseasonably warm (almost spring weather rather than January weather)

So I noticed that I am fine running as long as I have head phones and music to listen too (even if it gets annoying) or watching tv while I am indoors...keeping my mind off my body has really helped with the longevity of the run. I have tried without but my mind concerns itself with What my body is doing and it seems I quit a lot sooner and give a lot less effort or too much effort all at once. I was wondering how other people keep their mind off their body while running?

I usually listen to music when I run, especially longer runs. I usually go without on my shorter runs. Though for me it has more to do with helping to keep me focused. Without the music, my mind just wanders and I have a harder time keeping track of my pace and tend to slow WAY down! When I first started running, the music was definitely a way to keep my mind off the discomfort of running. Now I find myself focusing on my body more, not trying to ignore it. In fact, I like that I can hear my own breathing and footfall in my head with my headphones in. It becomes almost meditative.
  • martaindale
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    @martaindale : I climbed, I climbed! It was awesome! I have a feeling I'll return there soon :wink: Would've not even considered it if it weren't for you!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! It is just so much fun!
  • martaindale
    Options
    @MobyCarp Have fun at your half tomorrow! Hope you have a great race!! I think it's cool that they do hats instead of shirts!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Have a great half tomorrow!
  • Kimtrooper
    Kimtrooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    dewit wrote: »
    Kimtrooper wrote: »
    Second run this morning of 4km & 4 kangaroos hopping past. Faster than me of course lol. [...] 😀

Wow, fantastic! I thought this was just possible in the movies (with special effects and all). Nice for you!

So... are you still in 2018? :lol:

I hate to break it to you but Australia is ahead of almost everyone else (NZ wins there) so technically @Kimtrooper is in the future