JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @snowflake1968 I’m sorry about the job. But I also believe that you should be in a job where you are truly appreciated - especially given the terrible experience at the end of the last one. Hopefully when the right role comes along they will be (rightly!) desperate to hire you. I guess try and see this as a good experience to get back in the interviewing game and take the positives from it as you move on. Hugs x
  • Faebert
    Options
    @Bex953172 I agree with @clicketykeys. Ash’s point comparing ‘his mess’ in the bedroom and ‘yours’ in the kitchen misses the point a bit. ‘Your mess’ is not just yours, it’s family, collective mess. Maybe you don’t tidy as you go as you are constantly being distracted and needed by your three kids! And it is not great if you have to get into only cleaning the items you use as an individual (like him doing just his pots) when you’re supposed to be a team.

I know as mums and caregivers we often tend to take on everything and try and be superwoman. But that can lead to some resentment which isn’t healthy. I think it’s great that you opened up to him and that he listened but I hope you can make him understand that he is equally responsible and somehow it needs to be divided fairly.
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi all, been a rocky few days. I have been pretty emotional and stressed lately and man it impacts my eating. I remember a time when I thought I was not an emotional eater-ha! I am trying to remain kind to myself and give credit for the habits I am following, because even mixed progress is still some progress. I am hoping that when the days get longer and warmer and I'm able to exercise outside that will help. Keep trying all, I know it's hard but I know it's worth it!

JFT (3/26)
    drink 80 oz. water ✅
    eat recommended servings of the 5 food groups :(
    stay between 1.2-1.4k calories :( two decent meals and one over limits
    exercise 30 minutes :(
    go to bed between 9-10 ✅
    track all food/exercise ✅
    post on JFT ✅

JFT (3/27)
    drink 80 oz. water
    eat recommended servings of the 5 food groups
    stay between 1.2-1.4k calories
    exercise 30 minutes
    go to bed between 9-10
    track all food/exercise
    post on JFT
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @Bex953172 My two cents. It is great that you sat down with him and discussed, communicated, and listened. That is huge. Really. And it sounds like you two were listening to each other. Again, that is HUGE. I want to encourage you to set up a time once a week, after the kids are down for the two of you to go over the week. Positive things about each other, about the house, about the kids, and areas that you and he share need working on.

Communication is one of the biggest keys to a flourishing marriage. So, what is one thing that he spoke about that you can change that will help with your and Ash's relationship? And ask him what is one thing that he can do that you expressed frustration over. And then be committed to work on those two areas.

And then meet next week over ice cream or whatever, and discuss. It doesn't have to be for an hour...just a few minutes...and "hey, I really appreciate that you..." And if he doesn't say that back to you then gently tell him that you need that as well.

We aren't given a manual for this relationship stuff lol.

I think if the two of you get on the same page more and more (and you obviously strive to do this ) then the two of you will be able to tackle the kids...because you will naturally be united.

Now, I'm gonna just say this...get your poop (I know you like that word, lol) together in the kitchen!!!
    Ash has agreed to help but he needs to see more input from you as well...that's how I took it anyway.
    Get the kitchen completely clean first of all...it might be easier if Ash watches the children while you tackle it, or y'all both tackle it after the kids are in bed, etc. But clean it first and then the two of you make a plan of action.

Get a routine going and then you will be able to address the kiddos. You two work together. You have a hard time cleaning as you go. Well, make sure before you start supper your dw is empty so it's ready to be filled. After the meal, maybe you can put away leftovers and load the dishwasher while Ashe cleans the pots and pans, washes the sink, counters and starts the dishwasher again.

The above may not be workable at all...it's just an example as to how you both work together for a solution...it's not a one person job. And sometimes you wave the flag of defeat and go to plan B. then C...then...well you get the picture. But always be proactive.

And it does change. When the kids got older, the rule was the cook didn't have clean up. I was usually the cook :) but not always. And it was nice to not have that added burden...and I did show by example that when the cook cleans up along the way there's not as much to do later....so I would run a sinkful of sudsy water and wash pots and pans, etc. while I was buzzin' around the kitchen. But then once food was on the table I (or the person cookin') was done in the kitchen! And one day your girls will be old enough to do that as well and you will have trained them how to clean the kitchen properly! (and nowadays when the kids are home, they just naturally get up and start cleaning the kitchen after dinner :smile: )

A clean/tidy kitchen/living area/bathroom really can bring about ...wait for it...

Peace! and Joy!!! Love you...so very very proud of you and your Ash for communicating and working together...keep working working working at it...if you keep at it, you will see results...I promise!

• Faebert
    Options
    @snowflake1968 hugs. I can completely understand why you felt hurt and why you ended up in the junk food! I think sometimes because men don’t share their problems as well as women they can be quite selfish when they have them - only noticing their own stuff.

But I still see positives here - you did all that clearing and organising. You stopped yourself and took a long walk. I hope you’ll now follow that up with rest and letting go of what’s done so you can have a better day tomorrow. X
  • toaljasa
    Options
    I never eat due to frustration or anger, but I did today. I did fine after I found out about not getting the job, I did fine when I found out that my husband’s EI ended unexpectedly with only one weeks pay instead of two. I cleaned and organized and got through it. But tonight, I got so frustrated and hurt by my husband I ate and ate. He doesn’t pay the bills, he doesn’t struggle trying to figure out which one to pay and how much, how to juggle it all. He doesn’t even want to hear about it, he only questions things when something is disconnected or we get a notice that something will be disconnected. Tonight I thought we could spend some time together to sort of ease the stress of the day. He says no because he has a headache from the stress of having his EI ended. I said well we knew it was coming and we’ll get through, but he just thought of himself. So frustrating!
    So I ate almost a whole pizza by myself, had two glasses of coke and a bag of Doritos. I the. Felt bad for doing that and walked in the house for 45 minutes, it didn’t balance out.

@Bex953172 - I hope you continue to talk to Ash and that he sees you are doing too much on your own.

I’m staying up watching tv trying to let my stomach settle from all the junk now. 😂

STRESS! My word...you reached your tipping point, sweet friend! What's done is done and don't let it consume you. I think if you are able to maintain for now you will be doing great. I'm so very sorry that you are having to carry this money burden around.

I was so hoping the job would be a go. Do you think that you can continue to work on the excel stuff and get polished up on it so that if asked you can say, "Why yes! I'm quite comfortable making my way around it!" Praying for you.
  • Faebert
    Options
    So guys I’m sitting here getting geared up to go for my long run this morning. Still feel kind of anxious about this because the whole running thing is quite new. Don’t know why I get like this. Maybe because I dread the starting bit when I find it quite hard-going. But I know that I’ll feel good afterwards and I also know I’m making good progress so I should keep it up. Wish I didn’t live in such a hilly area though! 😬
    On to the goals...

Tuesday goals recap:
    - morning workout ✅
    - pack veggie snack and squash for work ✅
    - cash for kids snack after school - remind re timing walk to school for maths homework ✅
    - buy biscuits for workshop host on way to work ✅
    - set up trestle tables in hall for workshop ✅
    - water! Avoid tiredness hunger ✅ ish! Still ate a bit more fruit in snacks than planned
    - home lunchtime for car and shake ✅
    - leave handover ready for cover teacher tomorrow ✅
    - leave meeting early to go to kids’ school presentation ✅
    - bed by 9 ✅

Wednesday goals:
    - morning long run
    - Get cash out on way to work
    - Early to work for staff choir/ handover
    - Planning time out of class. Water, 1x snack only
    - Home lunchtime for car and shake
    - cash for piano teacher
    - pick up more frozen fruit and some veggies after work
    - Pamper (tan?)
    - Girls hair wash
    - Bed by 9:30

Have a good day everyone x
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,793 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support! I am still going to practice my Excel and Word, but I never wrote the tests so it wasn’t because of that I didn’t get it. I think they hired someone they knew. The recruiter, who is a hired consultant, not an employee of the company told me in the email that they chose someone on their own. No one that she chose for them to interview. She has agreed to keep me in mind if another client has something I would qualify for.
    I think I’m going to go into a recruiting agency and see if there is anything they can do for me.

I have applied for a few of them through job postings but maybe if I go in directly. I’ve also applied for some temp agencies.

I also bought a lotto ticket tonight. 3.00 probably wasted but I was feeling desperate.

I am moving on! Today is done. I think I’m going to bring the Grands for a sleepover tomorrow night, they always give me smiles.

• toaljasa
    Options
    Thank you for your support! I am still going to practice my Excel and Word, but I never wrote the tests so it wasn’t because of that I didn’t get it. I think they hired someone they knew. The recruiter, who is a hired consultant, not an employee of the company told me in the email that they chose someone on their own. No one that she chose for them to interview. She has agreed to keep me in mind if another client has something I would qualify for.
    I think I’m going to go into a recruiting agency and see if there is anything they can do for me.

I have applied for a few of them through job postings but maybe if I go in directly. I’ve also applied for some temp agencies.

I also bought a lotto ticket tonight. 3.00 probably wasted but I was feeling desperate.

I am moving on! Today is done. I think I’m going to bring the Grands for a sleepover tomorrow night, they always give me smiles.

Well, you certainly aren't sitting around on your keister waiting for something to happen. Good idea to have the grands with you. They will certainly keep you entertained if nothing else :smile:
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :neutral: I had to pretty much guess, and just logged the number of calories dinner probably was. I reckon it wasn't too far out though
    - Stick to food plan - order planned food & drink choices when eating out :neutral: I stuck to my food choice, and am pretty proud of myself for this actually. But I completely ignored my drinks plan!
    - Stay within maintenance :smile: Overall stayed in maintenance, however (assuming I wasn't wrong about the dinner calories)
    - 3+ bottles water :smile:

- No eating whilst standing :neutral: I had a tiny chocolate button that someone gave me
    - Savour every bite :smiley:
    - Monitor fullness after each meal :/ I just forget this, every day. You know, I'm going to take this off the list
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts :smiley: I stopped myself from eating cake in a 5pm Danger Tuesday snack attack
    - Give myself credit! :smiley:

- 45+ minute lunch break :/ No, I had zero lunch break. Must have one today
    - Meditate :/ Due to no lunch break
    - Stay positive :smile:
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast :neutral: 1/2 only due to lack of lunch break
    - Leave work on time to meet friend :smile: I actually left early so I could walk rather than take the tube
    - Train home at 22.45 :neutral: Just missed that one but thankfully there was a 22.50! (The next one wasn't for 30 mins and it's really good I didn't have to wait that long as I probably would have gone to the shop to buy a snack)

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 4 bottles water
    - No alcohol

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Talk back to sabotaging thoughts
    - Give myself credit!
    - Stay positive

- 45+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - 2+ of French book, article, podcast
    - Finish work at 5pm
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11

Weekly calorie balance: 377 in red

Words for 2019: Mindful Moderation

How I practised Mindful Moderation yesterday: By not giving into the 5pm Danger Tuesday snack attack, and sticking to my planned food choice for dinner
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Wednesday March 27

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    January challenge
    February challenge
    March challenge
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input on Ash lol!
    He was right though!

For example, a bolognese. (Assuming my kitchen is already clean)
    2 pans out, chopping board out.
    I then get the butter, mince, salt&pepper, onions, mushrooms out and jar of bolognese (LOL yes i cheat)
    So butter in the pan, mince in the pan (butter left on the side not put in the fridge, empty mince packaging left on the side)
    Chop the ends and peel onion (left on the chopping board and pack of onions left on the side)
    Mushrooms chopped, (packet of mushrooms left on the side)

Get spaghetti out, break it into the pan (little bits ping everywhere, i think oh ill clear them after)
    Open the jar of bolognese, throw that in the pan (jar put on the side)

Bear in mind theres a bin 2 steps away ftom me in the kitchen..

Cheese out, spare plate out, grater out.
    Grate the cheese (leave cheese out and bits of cheese everywhere)

Drinks, leave the juice out on the side
    Everyone has dinner, Casey gets it EVERYWHERE (expected) Marley and Saskia make a little mess.

So you can see what he means, if i just did the things in brackets it would literally be a case of clean what weve used.
    He said hes never known anyone to not do them things.

When i said he said he should just do his plate it came out wrong, what he meant was he shouldnt be dumping that on me just because ive made a big mess, he should be responsible for his own stuff at the very least

We have 3 sides and one gets cluttered with the choppjng board and ingredients (next to the cooker) then cheese grating and making drinks on the one above the fridge, and then dirty pots on the one next to the sink..
    So all sides end up being cluttered!

I make a complete mess.

I think i need to implement a kitchen rule! That i get left to cook with no distractions, any juices or anything else can wait until dinner.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Found out last night the dog has fleas, i was getting bitten then i noticed a couple of bugs, didnt think anything of it especially as the dog wasnt itching more than normal or showing signs of irritation or restlessness. Then Ash says have you noticed any bufs, ive seen a couple and then they jump completely out of sight?
    Weirdly we had bought his flea treatment that day, so we thought wed put it on because he was due to have it anyway, and hes a right tit and doesnt sit still so he rolled on his back and then we could see them crawling EVERYTHING.
    Oh god it was gross.
    Treatment takes 48 hrs, im avoiding him like hes some sort of plague
    I actually washed my own hair because the thought of it makes me itchy.

So we're going to buy some fumigation bombs and a spray and set them off in the house vecause we just have stuff everywhere
    And ill have to treat the rabbit, although i checked him an nothing but he still needs doing.

Now the dogs itching like mad, probs because theyre freaking out and dying!

Thanks @toaljasa that really helps! And theyre great ideas! Feel like i know how to Adult properly now LOL
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 - It's OKAY that you stress-ate (or anger-ate). Sometimes when life is overwhelming, we do things that help us get through this moment, even if they're things that aren't good for us in the bigger picture. Maybe it helps us avoid something worse. Maybe we could have muscled through. Either way, it GETS US THROUGH THAT MOMENT. And then, once we're out of that moment, we can start moving forward again.

*hugs* Do what you can. Don't beat yourself up over what's past. Keep moving forward. You've got this.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    @Bex953172 - Well, try it out. I'm thinking there's probably a REASON that you don't clean up as you go; first of all, that's not how you learned to do it. And maybe that's all it is. But I'm leaning toward the possibility that you're trying to cook while also trying to watch on the small fry! Anyway, see what happens when you clean as you go and maybe that will help! If not, you might at least be able to explain to Ash why it didn't work.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Checking in from Tuesday
    1. AM run: 1.5 miles (9 laps). Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. find and print stretching exercises. Print sample essay for class 1-2.
    3. Class 1-2: Introduction and conclusion notes. Return worksheet from yesterday. Essay work. No checks.
    4. Planning: A - Grade 10 projects. Call legislators. B - Grade 10 projects. C - Input grades. D - Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, calf raises. Grade 10 projects. Print ballads. Print sample essay for 1-2; review Works Cited
    5. Class 4: SUB. Poetry project continued. Read ballads? Figurative Language Kahoot (use computers)
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Meeting after school. Bodypump 5:30. Lang8 post. Read 6 pages of Capital. Read 10 pages of Ivanhoe. Weigh and prep celery. Pack lunch.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. French meeting? Writing group?
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Wed lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Wednesday
    1. No AM run. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Find & print stretching exercises.
    3. Class 1-2: Check Clauses worksheet. Review smoking ban essay for examples of Works Cited and in-text citation. Research project. Students who finish early - take books to work room; pass papers back; cut scrap paper. Enter narrative grades. Begin grading research essays.
    4. Planning: A - 10 poetry projects. B - 10 research essays. C - 10 poetry projects. D - 10 research essays.
    5. Class 4: Read ballads. Use squiggle picture story Friday. Presentations?
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Park run - aim for 3.5 miles, <50 min. Log Thursday food. Prep Thursday lunch. Chop celery.
    8. Gratitude journal. Dinner with parents. Fold and put laundry away.
    9. Therapy exercises. Lang8 post. Read 6 pages of Capital. Read 10 pages of Ivanhoe. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Update Goodreads Friday. MAKE SURE MUSIC IS CHARGED. Conferences with 1-2 Thursday and Friday.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 191.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

WFTY: Climbing. Well, it's my birthday. And I'm STILL about 20 lbs. heavier than I was this time last year. I mean, if I'm really honest, according to the scale I've been fighting to maintain rather than actually losing. I'm still tired pretty much constantly, and I don't really know why. I've cut back on exercise. I don't have my master's work this week.

It's probably going to come down to logging. Which I hate. SO MUCH.

Anyway, parents are taking us out for dinner, so I'm going to try to pre-log for TOMORROW but give myself a pass for today. We'll see. :P
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    bwxiznj5s558.jpg
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Happy Birthday @clicketykeys !!
  • awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    JFT Tuesday