JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    @Bex953172
    Most of my life I've been very messy. For a long time, I have thought of it as of some charming quirk.
    I never wanted to be a "Stepford wife", I hated anything about that stereotype, so I would rather be perceived as messy or dirty, but individual, ambitious and creative.
    When my husband and I started to live together it was a constant fight. He hated my mess and I hated his lack of help and his expectations that I should be tidier.

At one point, a few years ago, I had this "aha" moment. I remembered all my ex-roommates complaining about my mess and at one moment I considered that maybe my messiness is not that charming after all. I considered the idea that being tidy doesn't make me less smart or creative.
    For me, that was a huge game changer. I started to incorporate simple habits like making my bed when I get up, cleaning unused dishes as I cook, I started to value simpler meals (more appropriate for my cooking skills), I decluttered most of my home, giving away things I don't use etc.

I am still very relaxed but I am much tidier now. I even enjoy some of those cleaning rituals. Also, my husband is now more willing to help and participate in keeping our home clean.

I did it without kids, so that was a huge advantage, but I wanted to share my experience in the case it could be useful to you.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Good morning! Yesterday I managed to get over 12,500 steps, I was so proud of myself! It's a good thing I did though, as I ate a lot of the calories back in cheesecake πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. I love having company but it is way harder to stick to goals when my mom likes getting interesting desserts for the guests every night (we are living with my parents currently while we save for a house).

I'm off work again today so hoping I can keep myself in line, I did tell the guests I'd take them for gelato today so maybe I'll have the smallest size available.. Lol.

@Bex953172 Sorry to hear about the flea situation, they are no fun! Aside from treating your pet, one thing that I find helps is if you vacuum every day and then spray flea spray up the vacuum when you're done, keep doing it until they're gone and it will help get rid of them.

Yesterday 3/26:

1. Stay within calorie goal😁
    2. Go for a walk at lunch😁
    3. Finish work at 5:15😞 more like 5:45
    4. Be positive😁

JFT 3/27:

1. Stay within calorie goal
    2. Get a minimum of 4,000 steps
    3. Do workout
    4. Relax
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,184 Member
    edited March 2019
    3/26/19 tues.
    *Weigh: 153.4 lbs. yay!
    *Minimum 4 8 oz glasses of water πŸ™‚ Had 5!
    *Stay in green πŸ™‚
    Didn't meet the other goals.

JFT 3/27/19 wed
    Weight: 153.4 lbs.
    *4 glasses of water
    *stay in green
    *do some meal planning
    *work in exercise
    *Be in bed by midnight--I KNOW THAT I'LL START DOING THIS ONE OF THESE DAYS! lol!
    *find or create release of lien document & send to contractor I used for parents home. (Long story but one of his subcontractors knocked on my elderly, dementia parents door & tried to collect.
    *send doc. to contractor
    *pay parents homeowners ins.

• AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Happy Birthday @clicketykeys
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Happy Birthday @clicketykeys
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,149 Member
    @Bex953172
    Most of my life I've been very messy. For a long time, I have thought of it as of some charming quirk.
    I never wanted to be a "Stepford wife", I hated anything about that stereotype, so I would rather be perceived as messy or dirty, but individual, ambitious and creative.
    When my husband and I started to live together it was a constant fight. He hated my mess and I hated his lack of help and his expectations that I should be tidier.

At one point, a few years ago, I had this "aha" moment. I remembered all my ex-roommates complaining about my mess and at one moment I considered that maybe my messiness is not that charming after all. I considered the idea that being tidy doesn't make me less smart or creative.
    For me, that was a huge game changer. I started to incorporate simple habits like making my bed when I get up, cleaning unused dishes as I cook, I started to value simpler meals (more appropriate for my cooking skills), I decluttered most of my home, giving away things I don't use etc.

I am still very relaxed but I am much tidier now. I even enjoy some of those cleaning rituals. Also, my husband is now more willing to help and participate in keeping our home clean.

I did it without kids, so that was a huge advantage, but I wanted to share my experience in the case it could be useful to you.

Aha see this is exactly what im trying to get to! Where im tidy but it doesnt rule my life lol!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,917 Member
    JFT - Tuesday March 26 Determined
    2L of water - πŸ™‚
    Calories in green - πŸ‘Ώ
    Walk 1 Mile - πŸ™‚
    Plank Challenge - πŸ‘Ώ
    5 Fruits and Veggies - πŸ˜‚ I don’t think potatoes in chip form or tomatoes in pizza sauce form counts so 0/5
    Only 1 evening Snack. -πŸ™‚
    5 something at bathroom break - πŸ™‚
    Write in Journal - πŸ™‚
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. - 😁 I am not giving myself an angry face for this because I think my mental health needed it yesterday.

JFT - Wednesday March 27 Determined
    2L of water
    Calories in green
    Walk 1 Mile
    Plank Challenge
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.

Well today I have to do that fine dance of what do I pay and what will that leave me for gas, groceries, living for the next 2 weeks. I hate this dance. I’m really nervous how the next month and a half is going to go. I didn’t sleep well at all last night worrying. I know that doesn’t help anything, but I had a hard time stopping it.

I am going to dig out my paint remnants today to see what I have for some touch ups after moving pictures around. I need to do that before going to get the kids to see if I need to buy a test pot of any colour to do it.

I have to also see what is on the job boards to apply for. I really just want a job.

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,917 Member
    Faebert - I so admire you and your running so early in the morning. I can’t even think of doing anything but being awake early.

Bex953172 - I used to cook like you and make a mess everywhere. One thing I started doing that really helped me a lot was I filled the sink with hot water. As I was done with anything I threw it in the sink. Right after supper the girls had to return their plates to the counter beside the sink. I would wash whatever was in the sink, it had soaked long enough that it was really easy. I then just had to grab the rest of the dishes and be done with it. Sometimes when I didn’t have a dishwasher I had to change my water out but it was much easier to get the biggest mess down. Now I generally only have to run our dishwasher through every other day, I quite often empty it while I’m making a meal and have to be in the kitchen. I don’t always worry about having everything out of the sink, but it just be off the counter. Once you get in a routine of putting away and cleaning a bit as you go you’ll feel so much better. Does Marley and Saskia want to help you? Michaela is at that stage right now and I use her terribly. She gets things out of the fridge and puts it on the table, she puts things back as I use them. It saves me lots of steps and teaches her as well.

Clicketykeys - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! enjoy your day. I’m fighting to maintain too right now and it’s lack of exercise and discipline doing it.

Awhit4842 - you are doing great!

Daneejela - that’s a tough one with your MIL. I don’t restrict anything either just the amounts. Would your MIL be willing to share with you in the morning or the day before if she’s planning on preparing something and then you can at least fit it into your eating plan for the day. If not maybe just let her know you are trying to eat lighter. Or you could tell her you have plans for the next day and invite her for a meal.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,598 Member
    @clicketykeys HaPpY BiRtHday! Have a wonderful dinner tonight, definitely agree that you should take a pass.

@Bex953172 LOL when I read your meal prep. I try to clean as I go, but not necessarily wash pots, etc., just organize dirty stuff on counter by the sink. If not, then as soon as everything's cooking/baking, I clear as much as I can before the meal. Just makes clean-up so much easier afterward. Of course, I don't have 3 munchkins underfoot. Hubby offers to help occasionally, and always helps when I ask ~ he's great at browning the ground meat, which I think is such a putzy task. He does hate to wash dishes but no problems if we use the dishwasher, which I do not like to use. He also helps clear the table and with putting away leftovers... in case no one has noticed, I'm big on eating leftovers, saves cooking another day.

@Snowflake So, so sorry you didn't get the job, and you are under so much stress. Hugs to you, my friend!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,598 Member
    Recap T 3/26
    1) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings = Fitbit 14,976 steps, 250+ 13/14 and 45 floors :smiley:
    2) Meals & snacks prelogged / net cals zero / NO snacks after supper / 14c water = Late-ish meal after dog walk & only partially stuck w/ supper plan... net cals -153 :/ , sodium -748 :( , sugar -19, fiber & protein excellent, 14c water (yay)
    3) Walk dog after work = 3.57 mi 1:01:16 ~ happy dog B) & happy me, even though I had to drag myself outside with clouds & wind chill of 42 ~ really need to get back in routine of walking before work, much more energy & no excuses once I'm out of bed
    4) Evening: put away clean dishes :smiley: / fold hubby's work shirts & take upstairs :smiley: (he washes his own but does not put line drying away ~ his philosophy is why, when he's going to wear them this week one day at a time ~ I pick my battles & this is not worth it) / boil eggs :smiley: / continue to declutter family room :( nope, just too pooped & dog snuggled against me on couch
    5) Unplug 9:00 >:) / floss :smiley: / retainers :smiley: / set/verify alarm, bed & tv off 10:15 :D 10:20

JFT W 3/27
    1) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings
    2) Usual snacks, breakfast & lunch prelogged / soup supper at church ~ 1 piece bread, 1 small dessert, be choosy of soups / net calories zero / 14c water
    3) After work either walk dog or x-train
    4) Evening: soup supper 6:15 / Lent service 7:00 / declutter more in family room / prep lunch for Th (workplace mindful walk at noon)
    5) UNPLUG 9:00 / floss / retainers / set/verify alarm, bed & tv off 10:20
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    @clicketykeys
    🎈HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!πŸŽˆπŸŽ‚
    A BOX🎁 FULL OF LOVE AND HUGS!
    HOPE YOU HAVE MANY MORE!

πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’
    πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’
    πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’
    πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’
    πŸ’. πŸ’ πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’

πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’ πŸŽˆπŸŽ‡
    πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’ πŸ’
    πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’
    πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’
    πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’ πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’. πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’. πŸ’ πŸ’ πŸ’
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Ok... All the hearts were spelling out Happy Birthday and when I hit send.. It messed up all my work. I wanted it to
    be special for you... GAAAHπŸ˜•
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    You made me chuckle. Thanks so much XD
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member

Tuesday:
    1. weight in :)
    2. drink >8C liquids :) 10
    3. 10,000 steps :)
    4. go to the darn gym :smiley:
    5. cardio/weight workout :smiley:

Wednesday:
    1. weight in
    2. drink >8C liquids
    3. 10,000 steps
    4. go to the gym
    5. cardio/weight workout
  • ZizzyBumble
    Wednesday March 27

Log accurately :| possibly
    Stay in the green :| probably not!
    5 fruit and vegb :)
    January challenge :)
    February challenge :)
    March challenge :)

I've been cooking new meals but not logging the recipe so making a best guess. As we are offering our guest an evening meal with us, I've been eating dessert - not something that I normally do. I'm trying for a light lunch and plenty of walking to compensate.

• ZizzyBumble
    Well i did it! (With help from the girls!) Kitchen is spotless, theres not even a pot on the draining board! And i have never in 27 years put them straight away! (Saskia dried nearly all of them for me, Marley filled the dishwasher with my supervision and switfhed it on and picked up some pff her mess.
    Ill empty the dishwasher in the morning.

Well done you, take pleasure in your achievement.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Happy birthday @clicketykeys !!!!!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Well i did it! (With help from the girls!) Kitchen is spotless, theres not even a pot on the draining board! And i have never in 27 years put them straight away! (Saskia dried nearly all of them for me, Marley filled the dishwasher with my supervision and switfhed it on and picked up some pff her mess.
    Ill empty the dishwasher in the morning.

Yea Yea Yea!!!! And look at your girlies...wonderful helpers! I'm sure they were basking under the praise you heaped on them...and deservedly so. They were great...and so were you to tackle it. I hope y'all had some fun getting it done :)

May peace and joy abound!