JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,204 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Since you are all setting "word" goals to live by this year, my word will be "DISCIPLINE". Because I know that is what I need ... the discipline to do mindful eating, the discipline to look up calories ahead of time, the discipline to get to the gym regularly, the discipline to drink my water, and the discipline to never give up.

Weekly Weigh - in

5'11" tall
    67 yrs old
    Goal weight: 170

Year 2017
    Jan 1: 217
    Feb 1: 211
    March 1: 205.4
    April 1: 202.6
    May 1: 204.6
    June 1: 200.4
    July 1: 199.2
    August 1: 195.6
    Sept 1: 192.8
    October 1: 191.8
    November 1: 187.7
    December 1: 193.5

Year 2018
    January 1: 195.5
    Feb 1 : 190.2
    March 1 : 193.6
    April 1: 197.6
    May 1: 197.2
    June 1: 194.6
    July 1: 189.8
    August 1: 190.7
    Sept 1: 194.7
    October 1: 196.6
    November 5: 200.1
    December 3: 200.0
    Dec 15: 207

Every year from Halloween until New Years I seem to gain weight. It is a combination of seasonal depression/ missing loved ones (having lost 4 of my siblings who I was very close to), and just missing the big family get togethers. Upset with myself, but I feel uncontrollable in this ... this is one of my main goals to learn this new year.

Year 2019

January 1, 2019: 206
    Jan 7: 204.6
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have given a lot of thought and I have finally decided that my word of the year will be Determined.
    The year I quit smoking I was determined to do it and I will be celebrating 10 years smoke free on May 11th. When I am determined I tend to be very successful. My Dad used to call this my Stubborn.

This year I am determined to:
    - reach my goal weight of 140.
    - find a job that I love that pays well
    - become a better listener with Rodger, I tend to interrupt him a lot thinking I know what I’m going to say. I’m usually wrong and I don’t do that to anyone else. I need to stop it with him.
    - Continue to work on my Faith
    - Continue to be Grateful each day

Determined is a GREAT word! I love your mug! You should custom make and sell those!

Wanted to also say that I realized lately that not only do I do the interrupting of my husband, but he does the same to me! It drives both of us crazy when the other does it. Great goal!
    Okay so some quick goals for tomorrow

Oh! I finally did the dishes!!!! My sink is completely empty!!!!

Have a great night everyone!

YOU GO, GIRL!!! :mrgreen:

@slittlemeister Mindful and moderation are both good words! Last year, mine were determination and persistence. This year it's tenacity which pretty much covers both of my last year words again! LOL!

@clicketykeys Wow! That was a pretty powerful dream! I have dreams where I'm running around trying to save everyone from "bad people" and I wake up feeling like I ran a marathon! (Which is pretty ironic considering I can't even run to my mailbox!) LOL

@mytime6630 Discipline is a great word for the year! I'm with you when it comes to tax time. I HATE DOING TAXES!!!!!!!!! It's my own fault because I don't organize everything good enough throughout the year, but even thought it's my own fault, I STILL hate doing them! xoxo

@cschmitz110515 Wasn't this morning just a crappy day to have to get out of bed? Gray, raining, slushy mess! I hit my snooze to many times and must have accidentally turned it off instead of on snooze and overslept. Still ended up getting ready in time, only to spill coffee in my lap in my car and have to go home and change. UGH.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    JFT - Sunday January 6th
    2L of water - 😕 1.5
    Calories in Green - 😈
    Walk 1 Mile 😈
    5 Fruits and Veggies 2/5
    Only 1 evening Snack 🙂
    5 something at bathroom break 😈
    Write in Journal 🙂
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. 😈

JFT - Monday January 7th
    2L of water
    Calories in Green
    Walk 1 Mile
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.

Determined!

I don’t have a lot to say. Today I want to get my laundry put away and make a mug for Rodger. I also want to get serious about my job search. I really won’t be able to do all I want to do on what EI pays.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just for Today:
    1. Journal every bite :)
    2. Half my weight in ounces of water ;)I was only 7 ounces short!!! If I counted my coffee in the morning, I'd have been over. So not giving myself a frown here because 83 oz of water is HUGE for me! I'm going to give myself credit for drinking that much.
    3. Walk my dog at least 30 minutes :( Took her for a car ride and played out in the back yard with her, but no walk yesterday. I'm getting lazier and lazier about this. Time to snap out of it!
    4. Clean my new cupboards and shelves in the basement and set up a sewing area :(Ended up working on other things around the house that needed to be done. The sewing area is a want, not a need.
    5. Run to Target for a new coat and new shoes (since my dog decided out of the clear blue sky to EAT my best pair of shoes! :grimace::)Bought two new coats since they were on sale and my husband said I looked like a "rag tag hobo" in the one I've been wearing. He's got a way with words, doesn't he?
    6. Watch the Eagles vs Bears playoff game at 3:00 while I putz around the basement decluttering :smile: Watched the game. SO CLOSE! Really good game but heartbreaker for Bears fans.
    7. Be mindful, read my ARCs, eat only when sitting :)
    8. Pack tomorrow's lunchbox and prelog my food :)
    9. Set out tomorrow's clothes :)
    10. Read the Michael Connelly mystery I started :(Eyes were too tired to read.
    11. Update my bullet journal for January and schedule exercise into each day. 5/7 days is my goal. :(I sat down to do this, but my dog jumped up into my lap, cuddled up to me curled in a ball and I didn't have the heart to push her off to work on it. My husband said "Honey, just be in the moment and enjoy it. There's nothing you HAVE to do right now." He was right.
    12. Unplug one hour before bed :) / Read Dodie :( / Read Simple Abundance :( / Calm app :)
    13. Get up without hitting snooze in the morning. (If I do this even once this month, I'm going to give myself a BIG ATTA GIRL! LOL!) :sYeah, uh...ummmmmm....no atta girl's happening over here today.

I came into work today and to my surprise, my friend who has the long arm machine for quilting brought in the quilt she 'quilted" for me over holiday break!!! Oh @Bex953172 , she did such a good job! I sure hope you like it when you get it. Final step now is to take it home and sew the binding on it. WHOOP WHOOP! Getting closer...

Just for Monday
    1. Journal every bite
    2. Stick to pre-logged breakfast, lunch and snacks
    3. Drink half my weight in water
    4. Eat mindfully, and only eat while sitting down
    5. Read ARCs
    6. Positive self-talk, turn negatives to positives, give myself credit and stop beating myself up.
    7. Take walking breaks at work
    8. Finish at least 3 priority tasks at work
    9. Prep for tomorrow, tonight
    10. 30 minutes activity
    11. Stick to evening routine: Self-Care / Read Dodie / Simple Abundance / Calm App

Word for 2019: Tenacity

• Snowflake1968
    Options
    PackerfaninGB - so sorry to hear about your friend. Thanks for the compliment on the mug. I’m going to work on one for hubby today.

Hegoddard - YAY for dishes!

Zizzybumble - I am incredibly patient with people but not so much situations or things.

Slittlemeister - love your words. I am up too since Christmas. I need to rein it in and exercise daily! I need to start feeling “the burn” again. If this chest ever stops hurting, I might be able to give it more.

Frenchfancy2014 - hope your cat is ok

Elbee1 - I post the same goals daily. I figure until it becomes second nature it should be there as a reminder.

Mytime - I need to start tracking our revenue and expenses for the craft shows. I am dreading it.

Kaitlyn and her maid of honour have been sending out messages regarding the wedding and bachelorette party. Time will be going so fast now and there will be lots of expenses coming up. I hope that I find a well paying job very fast!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    [*] Run to Target for a new coat and new shoes (since my dog decided out of the clear blue sky to EAT my best pair of shoes! :grimace:

When Caye was a puppy (I'd had dogs but never pups before), I was amazed at all the stuff she would eat! Because we left shoes, dirty clothes, etc. on the floor before bedtime, she had a field day. I remember tossing out flip flops (she ate only one half of my favorite pair), socks, undies, slippers, mostly my stuff & not hubby's for some reason. She even ate half of a leather watch band (I think it was on my nightstand) and a brand new headlamp hubby had given me for pre-sunrise walks with her ~ pieces lying everywhere. We now have a laundry hamper for dirty clothes, and put shoes away, but truly she's grown out of her chewing stage ~ thank goodness! Kitty did her share when she joined our house ~ she loved chewing on electrical cords, like hubby's favorite earbuds, plugs, and the plastic earpiece coverings on my eyeglasses. Thankfully, she's also out of that chewing stage.

So sorry on the loss of your friend. Cancer SUCKS.

Thanks so much for your support re hubby's new employer. Hubby has had further talks with the new guy (who was on-site for the first week, then gone) but he seemed to take the new employees' questions & concerns very seriously. Hubby also had good news from the boss re his particular benefits, so we're very hopeful. Keeping fingers crossed and praying.
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Monday 7 January

January water challenge :)
    5 fruit and veg :)
    Accurate logging :)
    Stay in the green >:) had some good news and celebrated with a bottle of fizz - I'd already planned the food so no wriggle room
    Meet fit bit goals :)
    Plan for the week - work schedule and meals :/ still more to do on this

Not a bad day for goals and feeling good about the future

Saw our financial advisor today and it looks like I can retire sooner than I expected. My husband is already retired (albeit running a B and B in our retirement home) and it would be nice to have more time together as my work and our retirement home are opposite ends of the country!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hello friends! Finally catching a breath here to catch up!

@slittlemeister welcome back! Hope you had a nice holiday!

@cschmitz110515 SO glad to hear positive news about husbands new employer! I'll keep praying for more good news, but what a relief that must be for you both so far!

@maryrobinson40 LOVE YOU, YOU WINNER!!!

@Snowflake1968 I love your mug - I love hummingbirds too! Lovely work, you really are so crafty! Does Kaitlyn have a bachelorette planned yet?

@clicketykeys OMG THE DREAM!!! Hope you get some better restful sleep!

@HEGoddard0928 I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND MATT. It gives me a little hope that sometimes, you have to walk away from a toxic situation and you WILL be rewarded for it.

@Bex953172 I love your word of the year! Self discovery is not an easy thing and I think a lot of people don't even figure out how important it is until way later in life so good for you!

@PackerFanInGB So sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs! Also, I LOL'd at your husbands "Rag tag hobo" comment. I wear my clothes out until they are tired too.

@Mytime6630 Great loss to start the new year!
  • Sofia_Alegria
    Sofia_Alegria Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Happy New Year's to All! Glad to be with you again in 2019 <3

Checking in after a two week hiatus. I totally did wrong over my break and gained back most of the few (4) lbs that I had lost. Way overate, did not log anything, and very little exercise so I'm not surprised with the results of this train wreck. :'(

On a positive note, we accomplished the two home projects (put in shelving in master closet, extended garage roofing so that we can keep our travel trailer covered) plus filed for homestead exemption for our new home. Oh, I almost forgot: I also unpacked at least 7 boxes so our spare bedroom is finally starting to look like it should :)

I also visited my Mom whom I had to tell that she won't be going back to her apartment and will now be permanently at the ALF. She took it better than I thought but has been having some off days; I guess that's to be expected. The doctor confirmed that she also has had another mini stroke so we're crossing our fingers and saying our prayers that she won't have any more b/c that would mean even more loss of brain function and mobility :'(

I am more than ready for another year of JFT so I'll have to park my weight gain and vacation derailment so that I can move on starting today.

I'm going to skip the posts from 2018 that I didn't read while I was out and start fresh with the 2019 posts. They're still a lot of those so I need to be patient with myself especially b/c I've tons of e-mails waiting in my in box to catch up on:

JFT 1/7/19
    _Log, log, log everything I eat
    -Water, water, water
    _Read, read, read at least one page of posts

Hugs to all <3
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Back to work today after a two week break and ouch! It was a training day so no children in school but that somehow seemed to make it really drag! My planning is up to date so I actually sneaked a bit of life admin in there and now feel ready to hit the ground running tomorrow.

Great to see you back @Sofia_Alegria! Sorry to read about your mum. Wishing you lots of strength.

Goals for Monday recap
    - morning workout ✅
    - Water! ✅ not amazing but better than I have been so giving myself the tick!
    - Remember to take snack and lunch to work ✅
    - Call/email lawyer (priority!) ✅
    - Stay mindful - re-read 2019 goals ✅
    - Early night ✅ heading up soon

Goals for Tuesday
    - morning workout
    - Pack kids’ snack boxes and my snack/lunch
    - Water
    - Check with M re delivery date for lesson plans
    - Check with B re occupational therapist visit
    - Health food store after work
    - Early night
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Hello friends! Finally catching a breath here to catch up!

@slittlemeister welcome back! Hope you had a nice holiday!

@cschmitz110515 SO glad to hear positive news about husbands new employer! I'll keep praying for more good news, but what a relief that must be for you both so far!

@maryrobinson40 LOVE YOU, YOU WINNER!!!

@Snowflake1968 I love your mug - I love hummingbirds too! Lovely work, you really are so crafty! Does Kaitlyn have a bachelorette planned yet?

@clicketykeys OMG THE DREAM!!! Hope you get some better restful sleep!

@HEGoddard0928 I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND MATT. It gives me a little hope that sometimes, you have to walk away from a toxic situation and you WILL be rewarded for it.

@Bex953172 I love your word of the year! Self discovery is not an easy thing and I think a lot of people don't even figure out how important it is until way later in life so good for you!

@PackerFanInGB So sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs! Also, I LOL'd at your husbands "Rag tag hobo" comment. I wear my clothes out until they are tired too.

@Mytime6630 Great loss to start the new year!

Couldn’t have said any of this better myself so quoting @AJB1014 to echo all of the above! X
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Just for Today:
    1. Journal every bite :)
    2. Half my weight in ounces of water ;)I was only 7 ounces short!!! If I counted my coffee in the morning, I'd have been over. So not giving myself a frown here because 83 oz of water is HUGE for me! I'm going to give myself credit for drinking that much.
    3. Walk my dog at least 30 minutes :( Took her for a car ride and played out in the back yard with her, but no walk yesterday. I'm getting lazier and lazier about this. Time to snap out of it!
    4. Clean my new cupboards and shelves in the basement and set up a sewing area :(Ended up working on other things around the house that needed to be done. The sewing area is a want, not a need.
    5. Run to Target for a new coat and new shoes (since my dog decided out of the clear blue sky to EAT my best pair of shoes! :grimace::)Bought two new coats since they were on sale and my husband said I looked like a "rag tag hobo" in the one I've been wearing. He's got a way with words, doesn't he?
    6. Watch the Eagles vs Bears playoff game at 3:00 while I putz around the basement decluttering :smile: Watched the game. SO CLOSE! Really good game but heartbreaker for Bears fans.
    7. Be mindful, read my ARCs, eat only when sitting :)
    8. Pack tomorrow's lunchbox and prelog my food :)
    9. Set out tomorrow's clothes :)
    10. Read the Michael Connelly mystery I started :(Eyes were too tired to read.
    11. Update my bullet journal for January and schedule exercise into each day. 5/7 days is my goal. :(I sat down to do this, but my dog jumped up into my lap, cuddled up to me curled in a ball and I didn't have the heart to push her off to work on it. My husband said "Honey, just be in the moment and enjoy it. There's nothing you HAVE to do right now." He was right.
    12. Unplug one hour before bed :) / Read Dodie :( / Read Simple Abundance :( / Calm app :)
    13. Get up without hitting snooze in the morning. (If I do this even once this month, I'm going to give myself a BIG ATTA GIRL! LOL!) :sYeah, uh...ummmmmm....no atta girl's happening over here today.

I came into work today and to my surprise, my friend who has the long arm machine for quilting brought in the quilt she 'quilted" for me over holiday break!!! Oh @Bex953172 , she did such a good job! I sure hope you like it when you get it. Final step now is to take it home and sew the binding on it. WHOOP WHOOP! Getting closer...

Word for 2019: Tenacity

YEA! I was wondering where you were on the quilt---hated to ask as I didn't want to add pressure!!! So, I don't know if you have done a binding on a quilt before but after watching several tutorials this is my favorite. Jenny used to use a binding ruler but she learned a better way and here it is. NOTE: She has machine sewed her binding on the front of the quilt as she is going to next HAND STITCH the binding to the back. If you are going to MACHINE STITCH the binding on both sides then you want to begin on the back side of the quilt and bring it over to the front side and stitch on the front. This will allow you to see where the edge of the binding is.

NOTE #2: Speaking from experience, I have found 2 1/2 inch binding works best...at least for beginners. I tried 2" binder and it was so hard to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCWpxBRs20&amp;t=711s

Peace and joy!
  • toaljasa
    Options
    @mytime6630 My Word for the Year is also DISCIPLINE! I thought it was perseverance but discipline kept demanding to be heard and I finally just gave in and said, Okay, Okay! Have your way!

Discipline: restraint exercised over one's own impulses, emotions, or desires.

@PackerFanInGB Tenacious conjures up all kinds of word pictures. Steely eyes, bared teeth, almost snarling, lol! Did I give you the definition of your fabulous word? I thought I did but just in case...

Tenacity: persistent in maintaining, adhering to, or seeking something valued or desired

@slittlemeister A two-fer for you this year! Mindful and Moderation These are very strong words and are very active words.

Mindful Aware. (In other words, "taking every bite captive!"
    Moderation in a way that is reasonable and not excessive

@snowflake1968 Your word for 2019 is Determined. That is extremely powerful.

Determine Firmly resolved (love the part "firmly")

Oh, there is one more out there---please remind me who you are. Is your word Consistency?

I always think of the adage "Slow and steady wins the race!"

Consistency steady continuity

Onward and UPward!!!
    Peace and joy
  • toaljasa
    Options
    JFT 1/7
    2019 Word: Discipline

Dreadmill 1.5 miles
    Operation Red Cup: drink 7 cups of water
    Write out MFP food diary first thing in the morning
    Stay within 150 carbs for the day
    Complete Sugar Detox lesson
    Mail pkgs
    Meal plans and grocery list

• Snowflake1968
    Options
    @AJB1014 - I am part of two group messages. One is Kaitlyn’s Ladies for the bridal party, Brodey’s Mom and I. The other is Bachelorette Babes that Kaitlyn is not a part of for the Bachelorette. There has already been some drama on the Bachelorette one. The MOH wanted to go skydiving.

Kaitlyn is very accident prone, she was off work for two years due to 2 slipped discs that we think were from lifting a child at the daycare that she had just started working at.

She just went back to school in June from an injury she sustained while tobogganing in January 2017.

The idea of her getting injured right before her wedding is scary to all involved. I also know that Kaitlyn wants to ensure all of the bridal party is included and not spending a fortune to have this, so I spoke up. The MOH almost seemed to dismiss my concerns and said she would speak to Brodey about it.

I ended up telling Kaitlyn what I thought and Kaitlyn ended up speaking to her. The plan now is to rent an Air BNB in the mountains or a lake somewhere I guess.

Kaitlyn is not a party type girl and would not enjoy the bar scene at all. So I guess we’ll see. She has also made it clear that some mom figures are included.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 OMG skydiving for a bachelorette seems a bit extreme!!! Lol just hearing about it all stresses me out - probably why I've been engaged 2+ years with nothing planned officially still :D