JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Fell off the bandwagon over the wknd. My significant other was hospitalized following chest pain so I didn’t get my exercise in and didn’t stick to my eating plan but back on it today. I won’t have a ton of goals today due to other obligations but JFT:
    1. Stick to eating plan.
    2. Log everything.
    3. Do my squat challenge.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry about your SO. That is scary for everyone. I hope they found the cause.

I noticed you are doing a squat challenge. I am as well! Are you meeting it? I didn't the first two days (I was challenged to do 100) but now by the end of the day, I've been able to get them done. But boy were my thighs sore the first few days, lol!
  • toaljasa
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »

Well my word of the year is determined and I’m not doing much to show that I am. I know I can do this, I was doing so well all summer last year and it’s what I want so I don’t know why I’m struggling so hard to just do it.

I think a big part of my problem is boredom and I need to find something to do in the evenings to keep me occupied. Rodger goes to bed at 9 and I stay up until around 11. It’s these two hours that get me in trouble every single day. I think I’ll research some inexpensive hobby that will keep my hands busy but not require a lot of brain work.

T

You have so much going on right now, and yes, you are determined! You are showing up here everyday, giving it your all. That is something to be very proud of. It is very stressful when money issues are there, and not knowing what the future hold for you work-wise, but you are a fighter. I know the right job will come along.
    As for the evenings, do you knit or do things like that also? For me, I sew a lot, but at times I am too tired to do that, yet don't want to go to bed. I want to learn to crochet or knit... just haven't tried it yet. I go to a lot of garage or estate sales .. you'd be surprised how much craft stuff, fabric, and yarn you sometimes can find.
    Hang in there ... I think you are doing great!

I second what Joan says. You have been very determined...good gracious you have even done your walking in the house! Shake that stinkin thinkin away. Could you go to bed any earlier? Get those ivories brushed when Rodger goes to bed. Maybe get on here and encourage folks about not eating late night, or overdoing snacks!

You are a very strong woman---you have a huge amount on your plate and you are handling it all beautifully.
  • Rositawurst
    Rositawurst Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i had an episode of binge eating this afternoon. I am forgiving myself, drinking a tea and not letting it be a day (or a week) of binging.
  • Tiggeroo2321
    Tiggeroo2321 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Loved the message above! Great reminder :) So my goals for today (as I just found this thread) are to exercise at least 45 minutes and stick to my intermittent fasting! (It's so rough around AF time!) However, I am seeing the results I want and I can't stop now :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I am nearly 300 messages behind! I hope everyone is doing well.

I've been eating mindlessly and emotionally for a few weeks now since I found out my stepdad has bladder cancer and is refusing treatment. My mom is having a hard time even having a conversation with me and they're not even talking about it between the two of them. I live 7 hours away, and I have no vacation time, so I can't do anything and it's just been really a helpless feeling for everyone I think.

But I still know better than to think eating is the answer. Did it make me feeling better? Probably while I was shoving it in my face. Did it make me feel better after I ate or even the next day when the scale was up and my pants are no longer feeling a bit loose? Not at all.

So, today I texted my husband and apologized for being such a huge pain in the *kitten*, and I gave myself a good talking to. No more.

I'm sorry I haven't been here to cheer, laugh, cry or pray with you all. I'm sorry I've been MIA. I've been caught in an endless loop running through my head.

Just for Monday:
    1. Journal every single bite
    2. Select my meals and snacks mindfully
    3. Eat slowly, enjoy each bite and eat only while sitting.
    4. Be kind. Choose my words carefully. Don't allow emotions to run your mouth.
    5. HYDRATE - fill red bottle at least 4 times
    6. Public library after work for new mystery to read.
    7. Listen to Calm App tonight. I've been skipping self-care a lot.
    8. Shower tonight to help relax for better sleep. Again, self-care tonight.
    9. Ice on my knee and heating pad on my back/hip. (Hurt myself again, but not sure how?)
    10. Bed early / Gratitude Journal / Inspirational Reading/ Unplug / Read a REAL book. Lights out by 10:30.

I forgot my April challenge of one positive thing: The snow is melting in Green Bay and I can see grass again. I was able to wear a spring jacket today.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Stats...

SW on 1/1/18: 175.4 lb
    1/8/2018: 174.6
    1/15/2018: 175.8
    1/22/2018: 177.2
    1/29/2018: 176.6
    2/5/2018: 178
    2/12/2018: 176.8
    2/19/2018: 176.2
    2/26/2018: 176.4
    3/5/2018: 174.0
    4/16/2018: 177.8
    4/30/2018: 179.4
    5/7/2018: 176.6
    5/14/2018: 174.6
    5/29/2018: 176.6 (Memorial Day 4-day weekend in Indiana at mom's. Ate out for every meal and got no exercise at all)
    6/4/2018: 176.6 (I am satisfied with this since it could have been much worse with grandson's graduation/18th birthday party, PLUS my husband's birthday and his DQ Ice Cream cake down in our freezer)
    =============2018 Half-way Mark=================
    7/4/2018 180 lb I have not been drinking water. I have been eating a lot of salt. I have been having issues and going to PT for lower back and hip pain. Not excuses, but this is what I think happened with this weight gain.
    7/16/2018 178.8 lb
    9/3/2018 179.3 lb
    10/1/2018 180.6 lb (disappointed I'm in 180's again, but happy I'm down from the 184 lbs I weighed about a week ago.) Boy, I really need to get better about keeping these stats current!
    10/8/2018 181 lb (weight not going down, but I started daily walks and starting to FEEL better so that is a step in right direction)
    10/12/18 179.8
    10/22/18 180.8
    11/5/18 183 -- Have been emotional eating and just not caring. Been depressed. Need to pull out of this. No excuses!
    11/12/18 183.6
    11/17/18 186 lbs Took this weight on Saturday for some reason and was totally flabbergasted! Highest weight of my lifetime! Really need to pay attention to nibbles and water intake
    11/19/18 182.6 MUCH BETTER. Been paying attention to water intake (8 oz blue cup by sink). Mindful choices. Following Beck's Diet Solution closely.
    12/3/18 183.8 lbs
    12/10/18: 182.2 lbs

2019 Very disappointed that I went the opposite direction but I am feeling very optimistic that this will be the year I get more active and take some weight off! Theme this year is TENACITY!

1/1/2019 184
    1/11/2019 183
    1/18/2019 183.8
    1/25/2019 185
    2/08/2019 188.6
    2/10/2019 189.9 HW ever.
    2/25/2019 186.2
    3/08/2019 184.6
    3/15/2019 182.8
    3/22/2019 180.8
    3/29/2019 180.2
    4/01/2019 180.2 Have been faithfully logging food all of March and making mindful choices. 😄
    4/15/2019 184 😞 Mindless emotional eating strikes again.

Mini NSV Goals are to:
    []Be able to wear my wedding ring
    []Be able to wear more fitted blouses
    []Be able to tuck shirts in comfortably
    []Have waist of pants be loose enough to be comfortable
    []Be able to walk with friends and not be out of breath
    []Activity of some sort 5 of 7 days per week
    []Lose chicken wing flab on my arms and look decent in sleeveless shirts
    []Get off some of my medications and improve lab results
    []Less joint pain due to less inflammation
    []Be able to jog, even if it is slowly

Scale Mini Goals:
    Mini goal <180
    Mini goal <175
    Mini goal: <170
    Mini goal: <165
    Mini goal: <160
    Mini goal: <155
    Mini goal: <150
    Mini goal: <145
    Ultimate goal: 140 lbs

Height: 5'4 1/2"
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Oh @PackerFanInGB I’m so sorry to read this. Please don’t beat yourself up for emotional eating - it’s so so hard to feel helpless in this sort of situation.

I think you’re right to think about some self-care. Don’t stress the scale - you know some of that will be water weight - but even if it is all gain, there is no race, no deadline. You will get back on track when your head and heart allows it. For now, just for today, look after yourself, in whatever way you need.

Hugs x
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Monday 15 April

I did not have time to post goals for today, this morning, as I realised I needed to leave early and walk to the station in order to meet excercise goals o:)

Log accurately :)
    Stay in the green :)
    5 fruit and veg >:) 4 but it was a large salad ...
    Fitbit excercise goals :)
    January challenge :)
    February challenge :)
    March challenge :) walked to the station at speed (2.5 miles)
    April challenge :) pleased that I recognised the need to get up early to get the walking in as I would not have felt like doing it at the end of the day.
  • toaljasa
    Options

I've been eating mindlessly and emotionally for a few weeks now since I found out my stepdad has bladder cancer and is refusing treatment. My mom is having a hard time even having a conversation with me and they're not even talking about it between the two of them. I live 7 hours away, and I have no vacation time, so I can't do anything and it's just been really a helpless feeling for everyone I think.

But I still know better than to think eating is the answer. Did it make me feeling better? Probably while I was shoving it in my face. Did it make me feel better after I ate or even the next day when the scale was up and my pants are no longer feeling a bit loose? Not at all.

So, today I texted my husband and apologized for being such a huge pain in the *kitten*, and I gave myself a good talking to. No more.

I'm sorry I haven't been here to cheer, laugh, cry or pray with you all. I'm sorry I've been MIA. I've been caught in an endless loop running through my head.

Just for Monday:
    1. Journal every single bite
    2. Select my meals and snacks mindfully
    3. Eat slowly, enjoy each bite and eat only while sitting.
    4. Be kind. Choose my words carefully. Don't allow emotions to run your mouth.
    5. HYDRATE - fill red bottle at least 4 times
    6. Public library after work for new mystery to read.
    7. Listen to Calm App tonight. I've been skipping self-care a lot.
    8. Shower tonight to help relax for better sleep. Again, self-care tonight.
    9. Ice on my knee and heating pad on my back/hip. (Hurt myself again, but not sure how?)
    10. Bed early / Gratitude Journal / Inspirational Reading/ Unplug / Read a REAL book. Lights out by 10:30.

I forgot my April challenge of one positive thing: The snow is melting in Green Bay and I can see grass again. I was able to wear a spring jacket today.

So sorry about your stepdad. Your mom has a lot to process. Have you considered sending her a "thinking of you" card. Sometimes it's very comforting to know that you are being thought of even when you can't connect with others.

Yea it is spring!!!
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So the training went really well. It wasn't even much of a training. It was more of an orientation and a quick look at how to use the assignment website. I am really excited to start doing this. I can probably start in the middle of next week. To be a teachers aid(Paraprofessional is the term they use) I don't need any certifications because I won't be supervising a classroom by myself but through the company I work for, I can get my Sub Certification so that I can be regular sub teacher. So I think I am going to do that. It cost 125 dollars for processing and all that which we can't afford right now. Matt has already missed 3 days of work so that is a substantial amount of money to us.

Matt is going to try and go back to work tomorrow. He has Wednesday off so if he can make it through tomorrow he can come home for another day. I scheduled his CT Scan but they can't get him in until Monday of next week and he needs a certain blood test done that we didn't know about so I have a call into the doctor about that. A friend of mine had suggested that it might be ulcers. I think that that is what the CT Scan is for, to determine if that is what it is.

I'm just ready for this to be over. I am so ready for this to be over. Like stick a fork in me I'm done. Ya know what I mean?
  • korina75
    korina75 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am exhausted!! We had crazy thunderstorms last night and I didn't sleep well. I'm going to take a bubble bath and go to bed early tonight. I don't do well on little sleep. Having some personal stuff going on in addition to crazy work and stick a fork in me, I'm done.

@HEGoddard0928 Are you in Virginia? We also had crazy storms last night! But you like them better than I. :) Hope you and your SO figure out what's going on. That has to be so draining and scary. Hope you get that self care in, sounds like you def need it!

@cschmitz110515 I love food too! Haha! I guess that's why most of us are here. :wink:

I did ok today, despite being totally exhausted.

JFT April 15th-

3 veg/2 fruit :)
    60 minutes exercise :)
    1 hour quiet time for myself :)Plus I'm going to take a bath this evening-self care
    Cook dinner at home :)
    Plan week :)
    Pick up tax returns :) and send in payment <3NO PAYMENT TO MAKE! Yeehaw!

Tomorrow hopefully I'll be more rested.

60 minutes of exercise, 30 minutes of yoga 30 minutes of swimming
    Log all food
    Stay within calories
    10 minutes meditation
    Make a healthy ish choice at dinner out on 4/16

• bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear about your stepdad, that must be so difficult for you. I guess there's nothing I can say to make it better but just know that I am very sorry and thinking of you and sending big hugs your way. Do you think there's a chance he might change his mind about treatment in time? He may still be in shock about the whole thing, you never know he might think differently in a little while.

I'm not surprised you have been eating to feel better, I think most of us would do the same in your situation. No, it doesn't change things, and it only brings short term comfort. But sometimes short term comfort is needed and I don't think you should feel bad or beat yourself up about it. It's good that you're now trying to reduce it, but don't put too much pressure on yourself either way.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family x
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    JFT ~Monay (4/15) - RECAP
    Morning Affirmations
    Plans for this week's events for meal planning, part of the plan will be to leave 100 calories for 4 days this week (M, W, Th, Fr.)
    Tues. gate/tickets- allow for popcorn- canceled; now it's a day with hubby.
    Sat. Memorial- pack own snacks, eat like did at wedding- protein & veggies only.
    Easter dinner is planned - simple, strawberries and whipped topping for dessert.
    Check~in w/MFP pals
    Track -- Yes! over 100 calories left!
    8:45am Breakfast & Pack/Plate meals &Snks
    9:40am Glider
    10:00am Shower
    10:45am Leave
    Morning visit w/mom
    Work
    Parked & walked... 30 minutes!
    12:00pm Snack - Chicken leg
    3:00pm Snack - Salad w/HB Eggs
    5:45pm Dinner w/hubby (planned & pre-plated) - side salad & left overs? Moved plated meal to lunch tomorrow, as hubby made steak! Yum!
    Earn 5 personal points!!

KEEP Nightly routine of not binging:
    Change clothes, brush hair, wash face
    Eat dinner at the table
    Drink hot tea
    Brush teeth, Go to bed & Say “Kitchen Closed!”
    Post on MFP just before lights out (or in the morning), not after dinner.

Jan~ Drink 8+ water
    Feb.~ Only 1 snack after dinner
    Mar.~ 15 min. walk outside (snowy/icy!); so will strive for 15+ glider inside. It turned out nice!
    April challenge. Say something positive: When a MFP needs help, do what you can to step up and help out. We're in this together. We may not see each other daily; but we do chat as if we were face to face. <<hugs>>
  • hellerhoneybee
    hellerhoneybee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good grief! Like many of you, I was sooooo many messages behind. I can't possibly keep up though, especially on the weekends, because I refuse to be on the computer. But maybe I can spend just a little more time in the evenings reading and posting, rather than playing candy crush? :) I have been thinking that maybe I should post my JFT goals at night for the next day, just so they are in my mind before I sleep. It's early morning somewhere at 10pm US Mountain Time, right???

Regardless, I feel what many of you have shared about this weekend being a complete fail. I didn't fall completely off the wagon, but I didn't log or post here at all over the weekend. I tried to go back and log what I could remember, but it's not as good as the real-time logging. I will give myself credit for making a physical (hand-written) list of things I wanted to accomplish this weekend, AND I was able to cross a few things off of that list--not everything and I'll tell you why in a little bit.

So, I shared that my life is full of stress about the house situation. Well, we got some work done (painting) on Friday, for which I took the day off. And, I had every intention of going back to work on the house Saturday and Sunday, too, BUT there's a minor crisis going on with my hubby right now, who is the primary taskmaster for this grand plan he has, and he can't work because of this health issue. Meanwhile, I'm stressing over the finances and trying to keep things moving, but I can't tell him that because he's worried and struggling with this health thing. And, to add to that, we have people staying with us who are supposed to be helping with the house but are actually making it really easy for us to continue dragging our feet on the house while we entertain them! It's exhausting! Needless to say, I have been trying to stay positive but I completely failed on that this weekend... I feel really bad about it, but I also had to apologize to my hubby for being negative.

The silver lining is that, while I probably did overeat, I still managed to feel okay about crossing off a few things from my list. If I get a chance to share that with you, I will.

Checking in from my last JFT post (4/11):

1. Log at least 50% (ideally 100%, but I'm going for achievable) - got that one!
    2. Stay within +/-10% of calorie goal (it all balances out, right?) - yep! was +10% this time but skipped breakfast so felt crappy
    3. Stay positive - mostly, but i think i'm gonna change this one next time
    4. Be mindful - mostly, again gonna be more specific in this one
    5. Be productive at work - actually nailed this one!
    6. Lunch with a good friend! - already done!
    7. Make some calls on my way home - made a call to my realtor (following up on #8), left message
    8. Read and fill out rental agreement paperwork and return to my realtor - read, and left message (see #7)
    9. Pick out a birthday card for my mom and my brother! - done and done!

Next, here are my goals for today 4/15, and I'll check back in when I can:
    1. Log at least 50% (ideally 100%, but I'm going for achievable)
    2. Stay within +/-10% of calorie goal
    3. Be positive as much as possible
    4. Be mindful of what your body is telling you about food, fullness, movement, emotions, pain
    5. Make and complete a daily to do list at work
    6. File a tax extension because filing is just not going to happen today
    7. Pick up stuff on my way home that my hubby asked for (I have a list)

For tomorrow 4/16, here are my notional goals, and I'll update later tonight if I can:
    1. Eat a healthy breakfast
    2. Log at least 50% (ideally 100%, but I'm going for achievable)
    3. Stay within +/-10% of calorie goal
    4. Be positive as much as possible
    5. Be mindful of what your body is telling you about food, fullness, movement, emotions, pain
    6. Make and complete a daily to do list at work
    7. Pick up stuff on my way home

• hellerhoneybee
    hellerhoneybee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    We never know what a person is going through.

This is from a FB post back in January. But I think it is a good reminder of how we should all practice patience and kindness---our little JFT group is filled with kindness and encouragement--I always come away uplifted.

Peace and joy.

svk5h0383jdt.png

As I was pulling into work, I was following this car. The sign in the back window says, “Learning stick sorry for any delay.”

Knowing this information, I was very patient with their slow shifting, and honestly, they were doing pretty well for still learning. Then I asked myself a tough question: Would I have been just as patient if the sign hadn’t been there? I can almost definitely say no.

We don’t know what someone is going through. We don’t wear signs that illustrate our personal struggles. You don’t see signs taped to people’s shirts that say, “Going through a divorce”, or “Lost a child”, or “Feeling depressed”, or “Diagnosed with cancer”.

If we could read visually what those around us are going through we would definitely be nicer. But we shouldn’t have to see signs and have reasons to treat strangers with kindness. We should do it anyway, whether we know what is going on or not. Whether they deserve it or not.

Let’s give everyone an extra dose of patience, kindness, and love.

I love this!! So so so true! I try to remember and think about this all the time, but it's still hard sometimes. I want to take things personally but I have to remember that it's not always about me...
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    i had an episode of binge eating this afternoon. I am forgiving myself, drinking a tea and not letting it be a day (or a week) of binging.

Good for you. If you hide it, it's easier to keep binging! Way to put a stop to it!! You can do it!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, hugs to everyone. It's so beautiful outside around here, but I'm stressed and frustrated. I guess maybe the nice weather keeps my mood from getting really bad? ;)

Keep on keepin' on, everybody. @Snowflake1968, thank you for responding to everyone. I can't keep up lately!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Oh my Tracie, I am so very sorry. And being far away is even harder. Hugs to you dear friend. Right now, just take good care of yourself. When I went to my WW meeting on saturday, I was afraid I had gained weight, because I had about 2 days of out of control stress, emotional eating. The lady weighing me looked at me and said, well, did the cookies help your daughter. I knew the answer, but at the time, I didn't even care. I was that way when one of my brothers were battling cancer ... I just did not care. As a result, while he was battling his own fight, I was eating my emotions, and gained over 40 pounds while he was sick. So as much as we know that eating will not help anyone, and will only hurt ourselves, at the time, it is so hard not to turn to the one thing, that while even just temporary, will ease our pain. All I can say is that I totally understand. And while no words will help ease your pain, know that I am praying for you all, and massive hugs to you. <3
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    So my goals for tomorrow, again, will be simple
    1. log all my food :)
    2. LOOK up how many calories/points food is before I eat it. Have a plan :) Hubby and I went to Lions Choice for lunch, so I even looked up the sandwich before we went ... and counted out 7 french fries, and stopped at that. Hubby ate the rest of them ;)
    3. concentrate on water .. january challenge = 8+ water :/ Drinking my water now!
    4. feb challenge - only 1 nite time snack, and I will try and have it be a zero pt food :) Had my orange.
    5. march challenge - for for 15 minute walk after dinner :) Well.. not quite a walk, but planted flowers before the rain again.
    6. april challenge - something positive :) Had a wonderful, relaxing day with hubby. Tomorrow is our anniversary - so hubby said we are just going to celebrate all week. Nothing fancy, just ran errands, went to a fast food type place to eat, then came home and sat outside in the patio. I am so lucky to have found this guy 46 years ago, and love him just as much now, if not more. We have been through a lot together, and still have a lot going on with our daughter. But he is always there, thinking the positive, telling me we just take this one day at a time. So I am one very lucky person.

JFt, Wed April 16
    1. spend the day with hubby
    2. make good choices
    3. concentrate on water (but maybe 1 glass of wine).
    4. jan challenge = 8+ water
    5. feb challenge - 1 nitetime snack
    6. mar challenge - go outside. This will be easy.. suppose to be in the 80s!!! YAY!!
    7. april challenge - 1 positive thing

I am SO far behind catching up on posts. I don't have time during the day, and try to do it at nite, but tonite, I am so tired, and hope to get some sewing in. I'll try and go back and read up ... but hugs to all of you! I love this group!